Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I have a perfect red dot on the end of my nose and every few months someone I've known for years notices and asked when did I get a scratch on my nose and I tell them I've always had it and then they call me Rudolph. So I know your no make-up struggle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

EmmyOk posted:

I have a perfect red dot on the end of my nose and every few months someone I've known for years notices and asked when did I get a scratch on my nose and I tell them I've always had it and then they call me Rudolph. So I know your no make-up struggle

My boyfriend has a birthmark on his neck that looks like a really fresh, angry hickey. People assume I'm either a sex fiend or a vampire when they notice it for the first time.

Also who the gently caress thinks getting your hair and nails done is an exclusively white thing?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

You could be both tbf, those often go hand in hand. It's not too bad but if I have a cute cashier in McDonalds or something I hide it by holding my chin and putting my index finger over it which means I look like I'm really considering those curly fries.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
mcdonalds doesn't have curly fries, what are you trying to pull here :arghfist::mad:

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

That is utterly beautiful.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

rocketpig posted:

Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan wants to put a ban of advertisements that depict an unhealthy and unrealistic (massively photoshopped) body image in public places like the train stations.

So that's what the law actually is? Other sites I visit have crazy reactionary topics like "LONDON MUSLIM MAYOR BANNING SEXY WOMEN KILL ALL ISLAMS". People are crazy as hell.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

If, as posted above, this was in response to an un-photoshopped image, then it's pretty bullshit people are saying the woman has an unrealistic body.

ZombieGravy
Feb 5, 2008

Kay Kessler posted:

If, as posted above, this was in response to an un-photoshopped image, then it's pretty bullshit people are saying the woman has an unrealistic body.

I am hoping it is going to be photoshopped images (I get that impression by the term unrealistic), I think it might also apply to advertisements for weight loss as the image that sparked it was for a diet company.

Although this image has had some skin retouching and stuff the model does look like that so I wouldn't say it's an unrealistic body shape. Ether way things seemed to move pretty fast from "London mayor sympathises with the body positive movement" to "This is how Sharia law starts".

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
My cousin constantly rants about how pro sports are rigged because he's really bad at predicting championship and tournament outcomes and he thinks he's god at it because he was a mediocre college bball player. He actually predicted the winner of the NBA finals correctly this year. His response?

"I got it right, EVEN MORE PROOF IT'S RIGGED!"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

rocketpig posted:

I am hoping it is going to be photoshopped images (I get that impression by the term unrealistic), I think it might also apply to advertisements for weight loss as the image that sparked it was for a diet company.

Although this image has had some skin retouching and stuff the model does look like that so I wouldn't say it's an unrealistic body shape. Ether way things seemed to move pretty fast from "London mayor sympathises with the body positive movement" to "This is how Sharia law starts".

Slippery slope to getting rid of representational art in public spaces entirely, IMO.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
If Sharia means getting rid of all advertisements then what are we waiting for

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

goose fleet posted:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Otisburg posted:

Slippery slope to getting rid of representational art in public spaces entirely, IMO.
Slippery slope to outlawing physical embodiment in human form, tbh. Outlaw beach body advertisements and next thing you know we're all legislatively discorporeal

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
if beach bods are outlawed, only outlaws will have beach bods

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

goose fleet posted:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Laserjet 4P posted:

if beach bods are outlawed, only outlaws will have beach bods

Need more good guys with beach bods not less!

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

goose fleet posted:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

My market-o-meter is going off the charts. I love this ad.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I like that hijab, it's fresh as gently caress.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

haha this must have pissed off a lot of bigots

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

I'dslam

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

they should make a line of hair products designed to keep you looking your best when you're locked in your austrian fathers rape dungeon

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

rocketpig posted:

Photoshopped or not, it still presents an unattainable body image - models and celebrities dedicate time to attaining that shape as part of their working day, which is impractical for nearly everyone else.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

EvilGenius posted:

Photoshopped or not, it still presents an unattainable body image - models and celebrities dedicate time to attaining that shape as part of their working day, which is impractical for nearly everyone else.

While true, should they just start using people like Louis C.K. as a model? Just him in a speedo eating a hot dog "ARE YOU BEACH BODY READY?"

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Nuebot posted:

While true, should they just start using people like Louis C.K. as a model? Just him in a speedo eating a hot dog "ARE YOU BEACH BODY READY?"

Maybe the truth lies...somewhere in the middle.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

Nuebot posted:

Are you Beach Body Ready? Cover up your genitals for legal reasons, and get the gently caress down there!

But seriously, I realise it can't work in practice, short of coming up with movie rating style body that picks apart every ad for negative messages. So the model in that ad has a real, albeit unattainable body shape - the ad is still reinforcing the idea that you should have to have a particular body shape to be able to go on the beach, which is the most damaging part of the ad. You could remove the image altogether and keep a lot of that message - what's a beach body? I need to be a particular shape to go on the beach, and I need this product to get that? Well poo poo.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Nuebot posted:

https://twitter.com/probirdrights/status/610565282256437251

I'm bad at embedding tweets, I think.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Obama isn't receiving a title of nobility, and I'm pretty sure Congress is okay with him getting a gold medal. If he even had to ask them in the first place.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

EvilGenius posted:

Are you Beach Body Ready? Cover up your genitals for legal reasons, and get the gently caress down there!

But seriously, I realise it can't work in practice, short of coming up with movie rating style body that picks apart every ad for negative messages. So the model in that ad has a real, albeit unattainable body shape - the ad is still reinforcing the idea that you should have to have a particular body shape to be able to go on the beach, which is the most damaging part of the ad. You could remove the image altogether and keep a lot of that message - what's a beach body? I need to be a particular shape to go on the beach, and I need this product to get that? Well poo poo.

A strong healthy body is attainable for a lot of people, and out of those, a certain number are willing to work for it, and that's who that ad is for. I don't break down in tears every time I see an ad for an expensive sports car that I can't afford because it gives an unrealistic portrayal of wealth or whatever.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Phone in bomb and death threats, that's what the company behind the ad got. :v:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Obama isn't receiving a title of nobility, and I'm pretty sure Congress is okay with him getting a gold medal. If he even had to ask them in the first place.

Hope George W making out with a dude is as grainy on my phone as it is for you.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

Panniculus Rift posted:

A strong healthy body is attainable for a lot of people, and out of those, a certain number are willing to work for it, and that's who that ad is for. I don't break down in tears every time I see an ad for an expensive sports car that I can't afford because it gives an unrealistic portrayal of wealth or whatever.

Sure, but not being able to afford a Mercedes doesn't contribute to self harm and eating disorders.

Anyway, the point was it's far easier to obtain for a model than a full time checkout operator, and who's to say what body shape is acceptable for the beach? If the Merc ad said you need to be 6"2 with a 30" waist to buy one, you'd probably be at least annoyed.

EvilGenius has a new favorite as of 13:15 on Jun 20, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Why is this body supplement company advertising using attractive people? hosed up

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

EvilGenius posted:

Sure, but not being able to afford a Mercedes doesn't contribute to self harm and eating disorders.

It can lead to an overzealous work ethic and/or crippling debts. Neither of those are particularly good for your health, either.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Sorry not sorry that other people are human beings.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Deltasquid posted:

It can lead to an overzealous work ethic and/or crippling debts. Neither of those are particularly good for your health, either.

Women are given a metric crap ton of value judgements about their appearance. Society places a significant amount of value on the physical attractiveness of women. In spite of some hyperbolic claims, a man is not getting nearly the same level of grief over driving some beater compared to a woman being considered not ''skinny/fit/hot enough". Hell, just look at the previous page where a poster was mentioning not wearing makeup and getting judged for it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Tracula posted:

Sorry not sorry that other people are human beings.

He's just pissed he still has to buy a gift on Father's Day

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I was "scouted" by a modeling agent at 15 or so, and my mom made me go to the agency to check it out because she saw dollar signs for college. At the time, I was a 5'11, 120 lb bag of bones, and, after stripping down to my bra and underwear to get measured by a scary middle aged lady, was told I had potential, but I'd need to lose ten pounds before they'd sign me. I don't think I could have done that and like, lived, and fortunately my mom agreed. Still kinda hosed me up. I love fashion, but it's a terrible industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Isn't the point originally made that it isn't about using attractive models to sell beauty products but that those models can't even obtain the bodies being displayed in ads because they're touched up so much with photoshop?