Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Almost halfway through NG+, fast-forward is fun.

One nice thing about it is it gives you time to play with all the cool toys they dump on you in the final chapter. Vermillion is delightful.

(also any "restores x in the field" effect is op as hell, I knew Ingenuity and Dragon Vein made casters super great already but Megalith gives you functionally unlimited everything if you pass it around :getin:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Megalith's insanely overpowered, but it's pretty much par for the course by that point.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
How much do the social links in Cold Steel matter?

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

SpaceDrake posted:

The last Falcom title on a Nintendo system was, IIRC, the disastrous version of Ys 1&2 for the NDS. They've never had good success on Nintendo platforms (Ys V...), so it's no surprise.

I thought that version wasn't even developed by Falcom? Whatever, chuck it in the pile with Ys V and burn it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dr. Fetus posted:

There's one scene near the end of the game where you can pick somebody to chat with if their combat link is high enough and you do some other stuff. That's it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Dr. Fetus posted:

As your links increase, the characters gain additional abilities during combat.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

The s-link events themselves are kind of all over the place in terms of what they unlock story-wise or in terms of story importance but combat-wise they'll only ever give you link levels. On a NG level 4 is fine for combat and Rean should hit that with most people easily so long as you don't neglect them entirely but in that case you're probably also not fielding them in combat since you obviously don't like them. You won't get items or quartz or books or anything else so no need to worry too much from a gameplay perspective.

Story-wise you get another scene if you make sure to do all of Sara's, unlock character details in your notebook for random others if you care about completion and at the end of the game there's a scene that lets you pick a character from a list that's formed based on late-game s-link choices. You can't do every link on a first playthrough but one of the NG+ bonuses gives you enough points to see them all, if you want to see every scene on the same playthrough or want to complete the notebook's character details without looking up which links actually fill them out.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i managed to dig up the formulas and data behind Sky, and in doing so found out something more immediately interesting i didn't know about

Mueller has a hidden passive where he'll attack the center target of a Chain Craft twice, and Julia is supposed to have a passive where she double attacks all the enemies affected (she has it in 3rd and the database i found says she does in SC, but either unintentionally or intentionally i can't do it in the steam version). this can be super broken: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8psX9s06yc (the battle is a context-less arena bonus boss, so despite the enemies being fought this isn't a spoiler for 3rd.)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

also the next video started autoplaying and lol at the image at the beginning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9I3uG1vHCo

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

:stare:

Chain Crafts are absurd.

Also I feel dumb for not realizing how powerful Heaven's Kiss was until I used Burst Drive and realized that they're the same Craft.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I still need to actually try bringing those two to the ending sequences to see what dialogue they have both when brought together and when brought separately with Kloe or Olivier. I feel like there's probably a lot of interesting party combinations to be had there in terms of dialogue but man is it a portion of the game I'm the least motivated to play through multiple times so I just went with the standard boss-connection parties and then Kloe and Olivier for the finale. Should probably also bring Kevin before 3rd is out.

If I had to guess the steam version just missed adding that hidden property given it couldn't have been in the PSP version and was likely easy to miss when trying to add features from the PC version. Did you get Mueller's to work?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the only meaningful dialogue change is if you bring olivier and mueller to fight Loewe.

Also yeah mueller's double attack definitely works

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
I heard about chain crafts, but seeing it in action (Heaven's Kiss is...another thing) is just disgusting

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

I randomly picked up Cold Steel in a store because it was cheap, am I safe to jump into it if I haven't played any other Falcom games? Or is the story/mechanics/whatever going to be incomprehensible? This probably gets asked all the time, but it never hurts to check with JRPGs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gato posted:

I randomly picked up Cold Steel in a store because it was cheap, am I safe to jump into it if I haven't played any other Falcom games? Or is the story/mechanics/whatever going to be incomprehensible? This probably gets asked all the time, but it never hurts to check with JRPGs.
You'll be fine. The game explains itself very well and the plot stands on its own. There's some references to other games in the Trails series and a couple of party members and antagonist from Sky pop up in supporting roles, but they're just that: supporting characters. And their place in the world is explained well enough that if you don't know they're from Sky they just come across as normal characters anyway.

Cold Steel was specifically made to bring in new fans.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's set two years after the earlier Trails in the Sky games in a different part of the setting. There are some recurring characters and plot elements and a shared world, but since cold steel is the start of a new story arc it generally reestablishes these things instead of just expecting you to know them.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
That said, if you're curious about the Trails in the Sky games, both of them are still on sale at https://www.gog.com right now for the upcoming 15 hours.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh yeah here are the data tables for the relative strengths of crafts/magic i found, as well as their associated delay (ST, the higher the longer)

FC:

http://ed6.sorabbs.tk/arts_crafts1.html

SC:

http://ed6.sorabbs.tk/arts_crafts2.html

These go into the damage formula independent of parameters, so at higher levels the differences matter less proportionally.

Some interesting take aways are:

Fire Magic is consistently the strongest, especially in SC where the higher level time magic isn't as strong relatively as White Gehanna in FC.

Estelle's Barrage in FC is by a wide margin the most powerful attack in the game.

In SC, True Hard Break is by far a better attack to use than True Hurricane unless there's a huge difference in number of enemies affected. Also, all of Estelle's True moves have low STs compared to average (22-24 compared to an average of ~30, some of Joshua's are equally fast too).

Oddly enough, the strongest non S-Craft move in SC is Julia's single target impede.

Anyway I am a nerd about math and numbers so I found this stuff interesting

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine

Gato posted:

Just know that if you want to get absolutely everything, you're gonna require a guide, the game can be assholish at times about hidden requirements. Here's a good guide if you want one. It doesn't spoil the game as you go along, or give you much fighting advice, so it leaves it up to you to figure out how to actually fight the bosses, which is always nice.

Lynkericious fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 22, 2016

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Lynkericious posted:

Just know that if you want to get absolutely everything, you're gonna require a guide, the game can be assholish at times about hidden requirements. Here's a good guide if you want one. It doesn't spoil the game as you go along, or give you much fighting advice, so it leaves it up to you to figure out how to actually fight the bosses, which is always nice.

You can't get everything on a single play through anyway, so why not leave the guide until NG+ If you're being that thorough?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NRVNQSR posted:

You can't get everything on a single play through anyway, so why not leave the guide until NG+ If you're being that thorough?

Because at bare minimum one of the relatively easy to miss things is a thing that has two mutually exclusive rewards meaning if you miss it on a first playthrough you'd need to do two more to get it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's also worthwhile because if you're like me and don't intend to do NG+ it can help you get all the stuff you can get on one playthrough (like all the books, which I wanted for their own sake, or all the school points).

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
When XSEED saw Osbourne's name for the first time, their immediate thought was probably "let's have the voice actor mumble all of his lines incoherently into the microphone". And so they did.

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
Did Osborne really do that?

Re: Numbers (heh). Interesting stuff there...except I can't read it and google translate ain't helping. It's not bad if I must say so myself

Edit: Oh, I get it now, the last number is number of hits for sepith bonus, right?

MisawaMahoKodomo fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 22, 2016

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Because at bare minimum one of the relatively easy to miss things is a thing that has two mutually exclusive rewards meaning if you miss it on a first playthrough you'd need to do two more to get it.

I don't think I'd consider that relatively easy to miss. The window on it is multiple chapters long and the requirements are very lenient so the only way you'd miss it is if you literally never talked to any of the NPCs or never examined the environment to know that the medals exist--there's a book shelf in vandyck's office detailing all of them, there are slots in Rean's notebook for them, etc.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
All right, the Steam sale is live. Trails in the Sky SC is 35% off, bring it under $20. All y'all miserable summabiches who have not yet acquired it no longer have an excuse. :colbert:

Also 70% off all Ys titles and 50% off Sky FC.

https://twitter.com/SpaceDrakeCF/status/746030448199884800

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh don't worry about missing stuff in cold steel unless not seeing a voiceless npc go 'cool, thanks. i have a name.' will eat you up inside

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

tbh don't worry about missing stuff in cold steel unless not seeing a voiceless npc go 'cool, thanks. i have a name.' will eat you up inside

hosed up, that voiceless npc might have ended up being my best friend, my favorite character in the game

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
i need to help all my dear friend npcs i'm sorry

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine

Endorph posted:

I'm the kind of person who will obsessively talk with every NPC after every major event just to get all the dialogue.

That's probably why my playtime was over 90 hours. :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Lynkericious posted:

I'm the kind of person who will obsessively talk with every NPC after every major event just to get all the dialogue.

That's probably why my playtime was over 90 hours. :v:

Uh, how long is the game supposed to take then? :v:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

About 60 hours

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
But if you don't talk to NPCs you'll never see the saga of burgeoning alcoholic mom, the world's youngest misandrist, or something that shouldn't even be a question because the answer is so obvious.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Trails SC: Rolent Chapter sidequest:

How the gently caress am I supposed to beat the Moukis at the end of the Bleublanc hunt? I'm using Estelle, Olivier, Schera, and Kloe. I try to blast them down with as much Earth Magic as I can, but by the time they're half health, they've all called in at least one new enemy. Not to mention they absorb your HP. Ugh.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

That fight is a nightmare yeah. Are you allowed to have Agate in the party if you chose Schera? His wild rage 2 into s break is super helpful and you can spam schera heavens kiss to get more out of it. He can also delay enemies. Also using time magic like white Gehanna to try and fish for a faint might be more helpful than earth magic

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Capsaicin posted:

Trails SC: Rolent Chapter sidequest:

How the gently caress am I supposed to beat the Moukis at the end of the Bleublanc hunt? I'm using Estelle, Olivier, Schera, and Kloe. I try to blast them down with as much Earth Magic as I can, but by the time they're half health, they've all called in at least one new enemy. Not to mention they absorb your HP. Ugh.

I just beat this. The secret is to devote someone to keeping everyone's speed up and just win by doing more. I went with Schera, Kloe, and Zane, I think. Zane had blind prevention gear and I think the doodad that makes your attack fire or earth elemental.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

:stare: When and where do I find this?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

:stare: When and where do I find this?

Just a guess but I'd say going to the book room on October 24 :v:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

Just a guess but I'd say going to the book room on October 24 :v:

RIGHT.

...:doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Yeah, Dorothee's festival activity involves roping passersby into yaoi fiction. One of them (against her will) is Machias' delinquent buddy from Ost.