Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I can confirm that we praised him immensely when the FA called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ninpo posted:

It's super loving expensive to get coaching badges in the UK and youth football is poo poo.

There's all sorts of grants available for coaching badges at the lower levels, it's that latter one (and the fact that most managers are ex players who have come up through that system) that's the problem.

Sir Trev (gawd bless him) is doing what he can about it, getting the FA to spend money on developing coaches along with players in the new excellence centre thing, but he allegedly told the FA that England wouldn't win a major competition for at least ten years because of the hosed up situation of youth football coaching that's still dominated by "stick it in the mixer" type tactics, even though he's finally managed to get 11-a-side banned for under-12s (he wanted it banned for under-16s but a shitload of youth clubs threatened to drop out of the FA because parents are loving idiots).

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Because the highest placed English managers last season were Alan Pardew, Eddie Howe and Sam Allardyce, who finished 15th, 16th and 17th respectively

*Black Magician face* All of them

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Robbie Savage with some strong opinions on benching World Class Joe Hart

https://twitter.com/MirrorFootball/status/744606958456610816

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

Weaponized Cum posted:

I blame the FA and liverpool supporters
classic noob error. it was utd fans singing his praises to troll the liverpo0ols.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Guardian says Rooney's dropped for tomorrow:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/19/england-roy-hodgson-wayne-rooney-slovakia

Based on this article it looks like the lineup will be Hart, Clyne, Bertrand, Cahill, Smalling, Dier, Henderson, Wilshere, Lallana, Sturridge, Vardy

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Not dropped, rested.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Henderson and Wilshere in the same midfield? it's like the Gerrard-Lampard question again, except with two bad players instead of two good ones.

Nice to see Sterling getting a well earned rest though.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
The forwards will get no service of that midfield.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The forwards were getting absolutely no service off the current midfield. Wilshere might be more capable than Rooney of giving Vardy something to run onto.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
That's fine, nothing wrong with resting players when you're almost certain of qualification.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

The forwards will get no service of that midfield.
That's a 4-4-2 diamond with two fast forwards, seems fine to me.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Will be fascinating to see if dier shackles hamsik tonight and whether he can do the same with ronaldo when we meet Portugal in the round of 16. As long as we face teams with 1 or fewer special players we should be fine.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
changing both full backs seems a bit unnecessary unless they really need a rest

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Given that it seems unlikely Sterling will see another minute on the pitch then the fullbacks are providing all of the wide threat and doing a lot of running. And on the face of it the back-ups aren't really much of a downgrade.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

They do a shitload of overlapping so yeah, may as well rest them while we have the chance.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Jose posted:

they need a rest

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
bertrand is a CL winner and clyne plays for licerpool so they really should be the firat two names on the team sheet anyway

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
People also seem to forget how much football the England players (barring Wilshere) have played already this season, particularly Spurs players so there's nothing wrong with giving the full backs a rest.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
No problem with resting the fullbacks, but shuffling the centre mids when Rooney is still getting used to the position seems foolish.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Honestly Roy seems like a fool. We need to concentrate on winning the group rather than pretending to have already done it and giving a wasteman like wilshire a run out for some shite "experiment".

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Bape Culture posted:

Honestly Roy seems like a fool. We need to concentrate on winning the group rather than pretending to have already done it and giving a wasteman like wilshire a run out for some shite "experiment".

He's a secret brexiteer! Our inevitable crushing loss to Slovakia will provoke rage against the foreigns in are boys and get them to rock the leave vote ever harder.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
its coming home

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
i still believe

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

So who are the teams England (and Wales) can get in the last 16? This seems surprisingly difficult to find information.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
That's because this dumb third place rule is massively convoluted. They can't get France or Switzerland, but at the minute practically every other team is a possibility.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Because at this point I think it's still technically most of the teams in the tournament.

If we finish top we play the third place team from group A, C or D. So probably one out of Albania, Northern Ireland, Czech Republic or Croatia.

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March
If we come top, we play the third placed team in either group A, C or D. Which could be Albania, Germany, Poland, Northern Ireland, Croatia, Czech Republic or Turkey.

If we come second, we play the second place team in group F, which could be Hungary, Iceland, Portugal or Austria.

If we come third (and qualify), we play the winner of group C or D, which could be Germany, Poland, Northern Ireland, Spain or Croatia.

It's a pretty straightforward format.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Oh yeah, we can't get Italy because they're guaranteed to finish top of their group.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I have a nasty feeling we'll win the group and end up playing Croatia, seeing as they probably won't beat Spain and the Czechs probably will beat Turkey.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

the brackets are so dumb lmao

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
it doesnt matter who we play because it is coming home anyway

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Wazzerphuk posted:

If we come top, we play the third placed team in either group A, C or D. Which could be Albania, Germany, Poland, Northern Ireland, Croatia, Czech Republic or Turkey.

If we come second, we play the second place team in group F, which could be Hungary, Iceland, Portugal or Austria.

If we come third (and qualify), we play the winner of group C or D, which could be Germany, Poland, Northern Ireland, Spain or Croatia.

It's a pretty straightforward format.

as I said above, we Want to play Portugal, so a draw tonight and a Wales win will make that happen.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It is. We could get Italy, Germany then France and it would still be coming home. Because it is coming home.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i want to see england hoofing it long to vardy to score against spain on the way to it coming home

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Dear God that's complex.

Thanks all.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Meanwhile the BBC remains a shining journalistic beacon:

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

To be fair Fifa 16 doesn't have Slovakia, so Slovenia are the only option for practice matches

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

Dudley posted:

Dear God that's complex.

Thanks all.

It's a lot simpler with 16 teams and just 1st and 2nd getting out of the groups. This 3rd place poo poo is nonsense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah, pairs of groups with 1st plays 2nd and 2nd plays 1st.

That's how tournaments are.

• Locked thread