Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Ghost Hand posted:

Steve Parker was fantastic - but I think he has basically stopped writing and is focusing on his body building and trainer career. (Which sucks because Deathwatch was a great book and I was looking forward to the second one...)

This makes me very sad as well. Deathwatch was well written, well paced, had some good intrigue, and looked to be set up for a trilogy. It's truly a shame that Steve has stepped away from writing... You should poke your BL friends to pick up the torch and wrap up the loose ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Just had my first real day of play yesterday. My LGS is doing a slow-grow league to build the community. Kind of cool since it alternates between build/paint week and play week.

I'm playing Orks and I spent my day getting my rear end kicked, but all around I had fun. There was a 500pt maximum and I was only able to bring a painboy, 2 small units of boyz, and a nob unit.

Next play week is 750pts and I'm trying to get a list that won't just die completely on turn 1.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
Doing some repair work on this poor old guy for a buddy.

It's going to end up here with the shroud removed, which means some unfortunate paint work 15 years later....

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Couldn't resist doing an unboxing video for the Forge World legion dice...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNtz7jEwrL8

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
I don't really have a dedicated kill team, so I thought I'd make one with Deathwatch. So I picked up the DW box set dudes, plus some shoulderpads. Here's my first two passes.

This is the Space Wolf Bro from the Deathwatch: Overkill game. Drenn Redblade, Bloodclaw.

And this is Rashiel, a Ravenwing biker I made out of a Dark Vengeance model.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I recently came into possession of a Knight Warden that "wasn't selling" so it was used as "packing material" for something that I bought off of Facebook.

I'm planning on running it as a Renegade Knight with twin Avenger Gatling cannons, but I can't figure out what to throw on the Carapace. Is it better to go with the rockets or the autocannons?

Also, I am having issues figuring out how to run my Nurgle Bikers. It is a group of 3 bikers, and I am not sure if I should run plasma(My plague marines use plasma already) or Melta(which is also taken up by my raptors)

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 18, 2016

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

jadebullet posted:

So I recently came into possession of a Knight Warden that "wasn't selling" so it was used as "packing material" for something that I bought off of Facebook.

I'm planning on running it as a Renegade Knight with twin Avenger Gatling cannons, but I can't figure out what to throw on the Carapace. Is it better to go with the rockets or the autocannons?

Also, I am having issues figuring out how to run my Nurgle Bikers. It is a group of 3 bikers, and I am not sure if I should run plasma(My plague marines use plasma already) or Melta(which is also taken up by my raptors)

Does your meta have a lot of flyers? If so, I'd take the autocannons for skyfire. Otherwise, I'd go with one of the rocket options.

For bikers, I typically go with melta, so that I can get in close to pop vehicles.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Unfortunately I don't know what the meta is. My local game shop holds 40k play every Friday, but my army isn't fully painted yet so I haven't gone down. I'm one of those odd people, as well, that has issues with shyness, so I will stand there wondering if I should ask someone that is obviously looking for a game, if he would like to play. At least until I get to know people. Social anxiety is a bitch.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Magnets.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
^^^ This. Why choose to mount a weapon option permanently if you don't have to?

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looks like, for that Dark Eldar starter box, you're getting the Kabalites for $2 and it's actually a decent start to an army. I have no idea what they were thinking with the Craftworld box, that poo poo's awful.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
And with the formations included, they're technically playable out of the box. I can even see situations where you'd buy two of some of these boxes for a decent actual starter force.

The Craftworld one seems like it's made purely for an established player to buy several of though.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Ilor posted:

^^^ This. Why choose to mount a weapon option permanently if you don't have to?

Because of the way I model things. I use magnets where I can, but in some cases it isn't as feasable. (I tend to do more with the modeling aspect than the gaming aspect anyway.)

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

krushgroove posted:

Couldn't resist doing an unboxing video for the Forge World legion dice...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNtz7jEwrL8

hahah I laughed, I cried... I still enjoyed the three minutes.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

jadebullet posted:

Because of the way I model things. I use magnets where I can, but in some cases it isn't as feasable. (I tend to do more with the modeling aspect than the gaming aspect anyway.)
Fair enough. And it's not like GW makes magnetizing easy - they'd rather you just buy more kits. But often times there's a single important structural piece that all 3 options within a kit will share (by design), and usually the best bet is to either just resin-cast that piece or get duplicates of the piece from :china: for a few bucks.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Bought two of the Tempestus starter boxes today, hoping to eventually pair them up with some Grey Knights. Gotta say I really like how these dudes look once assembled, even if they are a little doofy looking. I'm also loving the poo poo out of the single Taurox I've put together. I just got back into this hobby after about ten+ years away and this is the first large thing I've built. Feels good, though I can already tell I'm going to hate painting these fuckers.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Bombogenesis posted:

Bought two of the Tempestus starter boxes today, hoping to eventually pair them up with some Grey Knights. Gotta say I really like how these dudes look once assembled, even if they are a little doofy looking. I'm also loving the poo poo out of the single Taurox I've put together. I just got back into this hobby after about ten+ years away and this is the first large thing I've built. Feels good, though I can already tell I'm going to hate painting these fuckers.

Those kits are all excellent, I had a blast building and painting mine.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Ghost Hand posted:

hahah I laughed, I cried... I still enjoyed the three minutes.

Did she enjoy it too though?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Crosspost from the Oath thread, I added some more guys to my Waaagh Demons, 'officially' transitioning them to Khorne Daemonkin allies and not just summonables.

Zark the Damned posted:

Meganob and Brutes, yet more fodder for my Waaagh Demons (Demon Prince and Possessed respectively). I may go back and put some 'binding sigils' and the like on the armour but I'm happy with them for now.

I realise Possessed kind of suck, but they're a requirement for the Slaughtercult formation which is my overall aim with them. I'm not overly worried about competitiveness as my local meta is fairly relaxed.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Those guys are awesome looking. I don't mean this as a bad thing at all, but the green reminds me of Slimer from Ghostbusters. Really cool looking.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Those dudes look hella cool, though I'd maybe give the black another highlight, make it pop a little more.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
I painted another Deathwatch dude. I like doing these guys because even though they're predominantly black, it gives me a chance to paint different chapters and think about components for each. I'll be mixing in some non-boardgame dudes similar to the Ravenwing biker as I do more of these.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I like the added touch of the s.oke grenade launchers. It adds to the stealth aspect of the Raven Guard.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Thats a p. kickass black.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

DJ Dizzy posted:

Thats a p. kickass black.

Thanks! What I've been doing is just a base of Abaddon Black, then doing the rim highlights with Kantar Blue -> The Fang -> Reaper Snow Shadow -> Fenrisian Grey

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

TheChirurgeon posted:

I painted another Deathwatch dude. I like doing these guys because even though they're predominantly black, it gives me a chance to paint different chapters and think about components for each. I'll be mixing in some non-boardgame dudes similar to the Ravenwing biker as I do more of these.

Yeah this is dope as hell. I like the little touches (the gold and red) that break up the monotone black and white look of it.

Fully sick.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Those rad Daemon orks remind me of that story about the Ork warlord who goes to a Khorne daemon planet and fights a never ending battle. edit: Warlord Tuska

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
posted 6 minutes ago:

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I feel like the sky is falling. GW making consistent rules across codexes. Truly we are in the End Times.

Krush btw I checked out your website, great tips on there.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Lord Twisted posted:

I feel like the sky is falling. GW making consistent rules across codexes. Truly we are in the End Times.

Helbrutes still get hosed. :v:

I played Tau monstermash this weekend (2 stormsurges in a unit, riptidewing, some marker drones with a commander and 2 solo suits). Got riggity recked by a 5 man cabal/2lord dawg block but then played my buddies GT winning (Bugeater, also second at Midwest Conquest) daemons and boarded him. Playing 28mm mechwarrior is fun.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

krushgroove posted:

posted 6 minutes ago:

Lol, like the loyalists really need this.

Where's the optional rule that says all CSMs get Fearless? :v: Or do something to make hellbrutes not worthless?

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

krushgroove posted:

posted 6 minutes ago:

I guess I can quietly reintroduce dreadnaughts to my GK lists now. Not that I'll ever hit with a Dreadnaught attack.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
All the SM dreads got a boost of 2 attacks from this without any cost adjustment, so I'm considering releasing a v5 of the Space Odin Ork Codex that enhances Deff Dreads a bit. Increasing base attacks by 1 is my go-to, but maybe giving them another special rule if they take more arms: Rage, perhaps, I dunno. After toning down all the crazy, I have to resist going whole-hog and granting them a formation or piece of gear that allows for assault out of Deepstrike if they take Tellyporta Jeneratas.

https://bit.ly/Orks7ePDF, if anyone wants the latest version--now without BS3 TL Lootas! :haw:

I'm also paradoxically pleased and sort of detached from their FAQ process, since my own groups had to houserule so much to keep the game from being terrible (FFS, Monoliths & Leman Russ tanks snapfire their turrets? Turn 1 teleporting terrain assaults from Angels of Death, while CSM got formations that require Possessed? Get that poo poo out of here). I feel simultaneously that they can't phase me with whatever inevitable nerfs they wreak on Orks when their FAQ hits last, since there's literally no act of perfidy or casual disregard for the faction anyone could suggest that they wouldn't do/haven't already done. All the same, a sense of schadenfreude overrides the anticipation--they could surprise everyone with some brand new de-fanging to blunt Ork weapons down to the handles and hilts.

In other news, looting a Renegade Knight has been a blast, and the BSR for anyone wanting to use BattleScribe is almost done for v4 of the codex. I'll probably post it here when I'm finished. "Programming" in formations is an absolute motherfucker of a task, specifically because BS doesn't (can't, really) keep modifiers & conditions when you copy and paste entries.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Also lol 'gently caress you dark angels' unless they already had this buff?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
They do already have it.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Jesus H., that Sky News wargamer Brexit video is 3 straight minutes of cringe.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

I would hope they'll give a similar buff to other dreadnoughts as and when they do the FAQs for the armies involved. Hope being the operative word.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Lord Twisted posted:

Thanks! I wish I had more time to do stuff like hobby tips and airbrush 101 videos, but with my buddy buying tons of FW stuff it's easy to get it off him and do unboxing videos, so I'm going with that for the moment.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Jesus H., that Sky News wargamer Brexit video is 3 straight minutes of cringe.

And where is this exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Genghis Cohen posted:

And where is this exactly?

http://news.sky.com/video/1714324/war-gamers-talk-eu-vote-tactics

lol

• Locked thread