Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oski
Oct 20, 2010

Everyone has their dream...
Lost frontier was an excellent recommendation! I am, however, completely stuck on chapter 15. Anyone managed to beat it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
nws

Somebody fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jun 19, 2016

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Chinook posted:

I love desert golf. It's just a (nearly) infinite series of holes where you adjust angle and strength and try to put the ball in the hole. It's permanently installed on my phone.

There's a bunch of desert golf games on Google Play, which one is the good one?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
I assume its this one since it has the highest rating.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

In the same vein, everyone should play Realistic Summer Sports Simulator.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

mrkillboy posted:

I assume its this one since it has the highest rating.

That's the one.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Crust First posted:

I'm not seeing that in the UK, maybe I'm too late, but also I'm seeing that it's £33.24 and holy crap no thanks.

Yeah, holy poo poo. $20 is half price? At least that's the price I'm getting here once you do currency conversion.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Is bribery the only way to level up the dad in infinite growth?

This game is weird.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

ModeSix posted:

Yeah, holy poo poo. $20 is half price? At least that's the price I'm getting here once you do currency conversion.

Correct!

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

If you like TD games at all, Element TD came out recently and it's really very good. You start out with non-elemental arrow and cannon towers but you can summon elemental bosses with mana to gain the ability to make elemental towers. Every wave has a type. Light beats dark beats water (poisons it, I suppose?) beats fire beats nature beats earth beats light (I think of mountains blocking the sun from a valley, or dirt clouds). You can also combine any two elements to make combination towers. (water plus earth makes a well tower, of some kind). Modifiers allow for many different skill levels, even a god mode with infinite cash. And increased difficulties increase the reward as far as tower xp, money earned, etc. (towers level up and change with kills).

It's rad, has no IAP, or ads.

I don't really love many TD games but the inclusion of the different modifiers, up to and including god mode, make it a fun one for me.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.SongGameDev.EleTD

fake edit: from the reviews I gather this is a mobile port of a desktop game, but it's a very good port, then.

real edit: another one of the modifiers makes it so you can't choose which element to gain with your mana, instead its random, but the tradeoff is you get the full purchase price when you sell back towers. You are always able to see the element type of the coming waves, so this is an interesting tradeoff. This modifier doesn't invalidate your score like god mode does. That's neat

Chinook fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 20, 2016

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
So, I'm always looking around for a fun tactical game, and recently found one. It was released a while back and only has around 1,000 downloads or so (according to Google Play, that is), but it has been pretty fun and I feel it might be worth looking at if you are looking for tactical battles that are relatively bite sized.

Take a look at Crowntakers.

It bills itself as a procedural tactical rogue like, and I guess that is as good an explanation as any. Basically, you move your way through "stages" on your quest to save the king and take the crown. On your journey, you hire mercenaries that help you in your battles, and each mercenary has an archetype. You start with access to two mercs, and can unlock more as you go through the game. I've only unlocked 4 of the 9 currently, but each is different and plays a certain way. I have:
-An archer that has an overwatch ability, where he gets a free attack on the first two enemies to move within his attacking range.
-A warrior that attacks up to two enemies that are in line with a single attack and has a skill that pushes back an enemy he hits.
-Another warrior that is best described as a tank, he can taunt enemies to move into him and gains one "armor" (a free hit on him that deals no damage) when he defends
-Another archer that can't miss

Additionally, each mercenary (and your main character) has 3 variants that are unlocked by doing certain things with them. The first variant is unlocked by killing 30 enemies (cumulative over multiple playthroughs) with the respective merc, and the second variant requires some special achievement (ranging from simply winning with that merc in your party to boosting their strength to 10).

The game itself is pretty interesting, with each stage being generated with areas to search, castles to conquer (doing so gives you items and gold), and enemies to encounter. You can upgrade your characters' equipment, which lets the equipment be modified with runes that do various things (like +20% critical rate, + HP, +"armor", etc.), and you can also buy items to use in battle.

It's pretty fun and has a DLC, which I'm considering picking up for some extra maps, "awakening" your mercs by completing their sidequests (maybe another variant?), another merc to play with, and more items.

Tl;dr, Crowntakers is pretty fun and costs $2.50, try it out if you are interested in turn based tactics.

USMC_Karl fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 20, 2016

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Thanks. I hope it's a little more tactical than strategic. Hoplite is definitely my favorite example of a good tactical game. (Gladius on Xbox and GameCube was a favorite before this). Positioning and small scale tactical decisions I can handle. Resources and grander tactical maneuvers I can't really seem to enjoy. I'll check it out.

Edit: and I apparently already bought it at some point. Yay

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Chinook posted:

Thanks. I hope it's a little more tactical than strategic. Hoplite is definitely my favorite example of a good tactical game. (Gladius on Xbox and GameCube was a favorite before this). Positioning and small scale tactical decisions I can handle. Resources and grander tactical maneuvers I can't really seem to enjoy. I'll check it out.

Edit: and I apparently already bought it at some point. Yay

Ever since my PS2 broke I've been looking for a replacement for Gladius. :sigh: that game ruled...

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
Well, the encounters play out like little FFT encounters with some added random factors. Nothing too crazy, but I've had encounters where two or three enemies were inside my group, where my group was sandwiched between two small groups of enemies, etc.

Resources extend to gold (used to buy stuff), food (used to heal HP out of battle), potions (used for various buffs in battles), runes (used to upgrade your equipment), materials (used to unlock rune slots), and sellables (basically stuff to give you gold).

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Chinook posted:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.SongGameDev.EleTD

fake edit: from the reviews I gather this is a mobile port of a desktop game, but it's a very good port, then.

It's a port of a Warcraft 3 custom map, which they've remade as a Starcraft 2 and Dota 2 custom game as well so they're probably pretty experienced at it by now.

Seconding that it's really good.

I feel like a lot of other WC3 custom games would work well on mobile. Winter maul wars comes to mind, tree tag as well. It feels like good versions of those sorts of games haven't really been done on mobile yet. It does seem like the team behind this has been unusually persistent, but hopefully some of the others will do the same.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I made an android game. It's an infinite platform jumping game where you go through a few different zones. Free, no in app purchases. Check it out. Play it at the bus stop.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.myreliablegames.kittycart&hl=en

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I swear this question probably gets asked in both app threads a lot but what are the recommendations on deck building games. Already know about Hearthstone. I got Ascension too. How's Card Crawl? Also I don't mind paid apps.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

I made an android game. It's an infinite platform jumping game where you go through a few different zones. Free, no in app purchases. Check it out. Play it at the bus stop.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.myreliablegames.kittycart&hl=en

I like it, though I wish that you'd gain momentum from going downhill. Still, more than I could make! Good job.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Wamdoodle posted:

I swear this question probably gets asked in both app threads a lot but what are the recommendations on deck building games. Already know about Hearthstone. I got Ascension too. How's Card Crawl? Also I don't mind paid apps.

Card crawl is both really good and totally not a deck building game. The deck is always the same barring some unique ability cards, and represents a dungeon with treasure and monsters and such.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Wamdoodle posted:

There's Androminion. I never tried the official Dominion but it's supposed to be a bad port.

Star Realms was very cool but got repetitive quickly.

Then there are the Magic games but I wouldn't recommend them despite having spent a whole lot of time on them. The current iteration, Origins, is OK but not available on Android.

There's also that Adventure Time game Cards Wars but I haven't tried it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Wamdoodle posted:

I've been playing the Pathfinder Adventures card game for the last few days and have been having fun, but it's one of those games that definitely isn't for everyone. It's apparently an adaptation of the actual real-life card game but I have no idea how anyone plays it, some of the rules and systems seem pretty convoluted. It also isn't a toilet break game... an adventure can take you anywhere from 10-30 minutes I think. No clue if the game has any legs beyond the first hour or two of enjoyment though. And it runs a bit clunky on my 2013 Nexus 7 (to be expected at this point).

Seconding Star Realms but the campaign can be highly frustrating because I'm pretty sure the AI outright cheats. And you have to pay to play the game against other people (but it's a pay-once-and-never-again model that is also cross-platform, so that's good).

Calculords is technically a collectible card game and is good.

I played SolForge a bit when it first launched but my interest died out. It has interesting mechanics but the devs are pretty bad, and from what I understand the game got bad quick.

Hearthstone probably provides you with the best CCG experience on mobile at the moment. Ascension is probably the best deckbuilding non-CCG game on the Play store too.

Drone fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 20, 2016

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Calculords is awesome, IMHO. Can't wait for the sequel.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

USMC_Karl posted:

So, I'm always looking around for a fun tactical game, and recently found one. It was released a while back and only has around 1,000 downloads or so (according to Google Play, that is), but it has been pretty fun and I feel it might be worth looking at if you are looking for tactical battles that are relatively bite sized.

Take a look at Crowntakers.

It bills itself as a procedural tactical rogue like, and I guess that is as good an explanation as any. Basically, you move your way through "stages" on your quest to save the king and take the crown. On your journey, you hire mercenaries that help you in your battles, and each mercenary has an archetype. You start with access to two mercs, and can unlock more as you go through the game. I've only unlocked 4 of the 9 currently, but each is different and plays a certain way. I have:
-An archer that has an overwatch ability, where he gets a free attack on the first two enemies to move within his attacking range.
-A warrior that attacks up to two enemies that are in line with a single attack and has a skill that pushes back an enemy he hits.
-Another warrior that is best described as a tank, he can taunt enemies to move into him and gains one "armor" (a free hit on him that deals no damage) when he defends
-Another archer that can't miss

Additionally, each mercenary (and your main character) has 3 variants that are unlocked by doing certain things with them. The first variant is unlocked by killing 30 enemies (cumulative over multiple playthroughs) with the respective merc, and the second variant requires some special achievement (ranging from simply winning with that merc in your party to boosting their strength to 10).

The game itself is pretty interesting, with each stage being generated with areas to search, castles to conquer (doing so gives you items and gold), and enemies to encounter. You can upgrade your characters' equipment, which lets the equipment be modified with runes that do various things (like +20% critical rate, + HP, +"armor", etc.), and you can also buy items to use in battle.

It's pretty fun and has a DLC, which I'm considering picking up for some extra maps, "awakening" your mercs by completing their sidequests (maybe another variant?), another merc to play with, and more items.

Tl;dr, Crowntakers is pretty fun and costs $2.50, try it out if you are interested in turn based tactics.

How well does this play on a phone vs tablet? Looks like it might be tough to read some of the text after looking at screenshots.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

mrkillboy posted:

Yes. I'm personally not really a fan of the phone UI but otherwise its totally playable.

Been playing this a bit, really enjoying it, though I'm not 100% certain I'm doing a good job. I'm thinking that I'll fail HARD at it, and restart to do better.

For example, I just realized that I was aiming for a workbench upgrade instead of crafting basic stuff first. Hit the wrong icon. Welp.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

DrBox posted:

How well does this play on a phone vs tablet? Looks like it might be tough to read some of the text after looking at screenshots.

It's teensy weensy. I've been playing it a little this morning and some things are really hard to read. I don't feel like it would take that much effort to scale it up, there's a lot of wasted space. I have no idea what I'm doing in this game but it's standard Tactics fare. It keeps telling me that monsters are getting stronger. Is that overall or just for that map?

the auschwitz diet
Mar 19, 2004
I toast mine own alcoholism

delfin posted:

Calculords is awesome, IMHO. Can't wait for the sequel.

Calculords had some annoying crashes and nonresponsive interface bugs for me but I loved it, is there really a sequel coming?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Did Summoner Wars ever fix it's terrible issues? A friend got me to try out Duelyst and all I could think playing it was how much better Summoner Wars did the same basic gameplay.I was going to download it and try it again, but my big negative review was there staring me in the face and I started having second thoughts. The 3.7 overall score it has right now also doesn't inspire confidence.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
In Sky Force, does anyone know what the 2nd timed card is? It's the only timed one I haven't gotten yet.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Increased Magnet Power. You're not missing much.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

PokeJoe posted:

It's a little odd to start and completely miss the first rail...but otherwise adorable and a fun time waster.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

the auschwitz diet posted:

Calculords had some annoying crashes and nonresponsive interface bugs for me but I loved it, is there really a sequel coming?

I'll burn down Sean Baby's house if they make a sequel without division.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Cool, thanks for all the card game suggestions. I should've added that they don't necessarily have to be CCG's but thanks for the recs :)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Big Ink posted:

It's a little odd to start and completely miss the first rail...but otherwise adorable and a fun time waster.

You fall through the flat rail section when you first start up a game? Could you tell me what device you're using? That shouldn't be happening.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

You fall through the flat rail section when you first start up a game? Could you tell me what device you're using? That shouldn't be happening.

Fall through no, completely miss. As in at the start of the first and third level the cat cart will start above the first rail and completely miss the very first landing and the round will restart. It happens every third or fourth restart. And I'm on a galaxy s5.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Oh, I think I see what you're saying. You're spawning kinda where the red dot is and falling into the gap right?

It's a side effect of how the levels work, they don't always have a definite "end" so they are not actually reset when you die. You just get dropped a little ahead of where you fell off. I couldn't really come up with a great solution to this problem, hence the occasional wasted respawn. I thought about setting you on the next piece of viable track but some of them are only 1 piece wide, so you'd still fall off before you could get an appropriate jump going.

Although now that I wrote this post, I think I could solve this with a smash-bros style spawn where you just hover for a few seconds and if you tap you can fall down early. I might put that into an update eventually.

Thanks for the feedback!

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

Thanks for the feedback!

No problem. Sorry for the misunderstanding, english is my first language so I'm quite bad at it.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Crust First posted:

I'm not seeing that in the UK, maybe I'm too late, but also I'm seeing that it's £33.24 and holy crap no thanks.

Looks like SOMEONE doesn't like digital fireworks and being very important! :smuggo:

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

the auschwitz diet posted:

Seanbaby puts occasional hints out there.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Been playing this a bit, really enjoying it, though I'm not 100% certain I'm doing a good job. I'm thinking that I'll fail HARD at it, and restart to do better.

What I learnt from my time playing the game is that no matter how well you do, something really bad will always eventually happen :smith:

Anyway, for anyone keen on tending a potted plant on their phone, there's a game called Viridi out just for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

mrkillboy posted:

What I learnt from my time playing the game is that no matter how well you do, something really bad will always eventually happen :smith:

Anyway, for anyone keen on tending a potted plant on their phone, there's a game called Viridi out just for you.

Finally a way to grow succulents that my cats won't gnaw on.