Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
yeah im ok with just being able to delete poo poo without any possible way of answering it except "lol u jumped through a gate dont do that retard" too, makes real compelling gameplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

VideoGames posted:

I am ok with us just having the chill thread if people think this isn't working too well. I want everyone's experience to be better and if that means only a zero tolerance thread then I will implement that. I'm not going to force my wants on the whole board.

Please keep a distinct bad thread and good thread. Slapfights and mud-slinging are important parts of the Complete EVE Experience (tm).

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Libluini posted:

As a poster from the mil hist and ancient history threads, I feel the need to add:

Dalael: Thinks Atlantis is in Bolivia

I'm sure you had a very important point to make with this, but its entirely lost on me. :shrug:

Its like you think I'm somehow ashamed of the fact that I spoke about the subject once or twice.

But here, for anyone who wants to read about this crazy theory: http://www.atlantisbolivia.org/

E: In fact, as I remember it, I was asking about archeological digs that were done in that area, then I brought this up saying it was an interesting theory. People in the history thread went nuts with "You crazy biotch!", i somewhat defended this as being the least crazy of all Atlantis theories and here we are today.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 20, 2016

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Dalael posted:

Not really. I honestly don't believe I could survive in PL. Too much :effort: involved.

It's only as much :effort: as you make it- living out of SMAs takes some getting used too, probably easier to get used to than finding alternate sources of income.

VideoGames posted:

I have yes. I loved it and found it fascinating! If there was a large repository I could read of all events then I would probably sit down with it and become absolutely engrossed. I'd also be in a much better place to judge things than the stumbling around here I currently do.

What I can tell you about the some of the posters in this thread (just off the top of my head) are as follows:

Deadtear was once in GSF and very high up. He isn't anymore and is one of our veterans.

Xolve plays for PL I believe. Is also one of our veterans.

Zephyrine used to be in GSF as a trusted mover of equipment and now plays for PL. Doing the same stuff I am not sure.

Kismesus is another currently active player. I think in SNIGG. He gave me a ton of advice in game which was seriously awesome.

Syndic Thrass is old school GSF and was once mocked a lot and now is accepted? (I get that feel from his posts/words and current attitudes).

Mysterious Thing is Xenuria GSF and he is not allowed to post in EVE threads.

Frozenpuzzy (I hate typing that name!) is an artistic goon who plays for the TDB guys and has a crazy rig going.

Dalael is a PL player (I think) and also loves Canadian politics.

Endie is the old school GSF thread maker/historian. Currently plays for BAT.

Many D names are disliked because they are from Reddit and only post here to gloat (I think - I am not sure.)

Carth Dookie distanced himself from the D names, while Paco Vato embraced them and a 30 day probation. Both of which I am unsure who they play for.

Ullerm is one of the most chill posters and knows all there is to know about ship fittings.

Avatarwin (Globby) and DisgracelandUSA (Boney) know the honourable ways of high sec mining in CODE.

Numismancer is Mittens, head of GSF.

Darius Johnson was once head of GSF and he currently has TDB instead.

There are many others I am sure my mind is forgetting and I apologise. I am phone posting because my work blocks HTTPS.

There's also:

Youtuber (Salastil)- Old GoonFleet ISRAD guy. ISRAD is now in PL.

Unfunny Poster (Tallardar)- Former GSFs graduated Waffles (SniggWaffe) and commited crimes against PL culture by graduating to HABIT.

Viva Miriya (Mandozer)- Former everywhere. Currently an on-again, off-again ISRAD member. Holds record for number of times 'going gently caress goons'.

Foehammer is Foehammer, and he's in BAT.

Penif posts occasionally but I forget his SA name.

Xolve fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 20, 2016

Divine Blob
Mar 13, 2013

Dalael posted:

I'm sure you had a very important point to make with this, but its entirely lost on me. :shrug:

Its like you think I'm somehow ashamed of the fact that I spoke about the subject once or twice.

But here, for anyone who wants to read about this crazy theory: http://www.atlantisbolivia.org/

E: In fact, as I remember it, I was asking about archeological digs that were done in that area, then I brought this up saying it was an interesting theory. People in the history thread went nuts with "You crazy biotch!", i somewhat defended this as being the least crazy of all Atlantis theories and here we are today.

Until now I never realized how much effort has been put into finding Atlantis or looking for it. I thought it was just a fictional tale, I didn't think people actually put this much time and effort into hypothesizing potential locations and such.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Xolve posted:

It's only as much :effort: as you make it- living out of SMAs takes some getting used too, probably easier to get used to than finding alternate sources of income.

I think its mostly the income thing that would bother me. I hate all forms of income generation in EVE. At least all of those I tried. I've been buying plex for a while now, so affording a super, moving it around and all that stuff.
Its just too much for me. I can barely find the motivation to log in anyways.
Plus, I have good memories of PL fleets effortlessly wiping Fatal Ascension fleets while on their way to a real fight.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Dalael posted:

I think its mostly the income thing that would bother me. I hate all forms of income generation in EVE. At least all of those I tried. I've been buying plex for a while now, so affording a super, moving it around and all that stuff.
Its just too much for me. I can barely find the motivation to log in anyways.
Plus, I have good memories of PL fleets effortlessly wiping Fatal Ascension fleets while on their way to a real fight.

Well- you only have to buy a super once.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Xolve posted:

There's also:

Unfunny Poster (Tallardar)- Former GSFs graduated Waffles (SniggWaffe) and commited crimes against PL culture by graduating to HABIT.

Viva Miriya (Mandozer)- Former everywhere. Currently an on-again, off-again ISRAD member. Holds record for number of times 'going gently caress goons'.

penif is topgoon 555 and foehammer is NOT foehammer, foehammer with numbers is the real one

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Divine Blob posted:

Until now I never realized how much effort has been put into finding Atlantis or looking for it. I thought it was just a fictional tale, I didn't think people actually put this much time and effort into hypothesizing potential locations and such.

Its actually crazy how many millions have been spent in digs. How many people have all these theories. I must have read them all. A few years back I was really into conspiracy theories of all kind and for some reason, found the idea of Atlantis really interesting. It tickled my liking of conspiracies and archeology at the same time.

There are a lot more crazy theories than this one out there. Some about flying cities, others about aliens.
This guy just thinks that Atlantis was both a city and an empire which was located in South America. Kinda like Rome was both a city and an empire.

I believe that no one will ever agree on calling anything Atlantis regardless of whether or not evidence is ever found. Not unless they find a 10 000 years old road sign that says, "Atlantis city, next exit."

Anyways, that was your friendly derail for the day.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Xolve posted:

Well- you only have to buy a super once.

Don't underestimate how bad I am at this game. I'm sure there's a point where Grath would yell out, "Screw you, that was the last super we reimburse you!"

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Divine Blob posted:

You have Dalael here, thinking Atlantis was in South America is the "least crazy" theory. But he isn't alone with being dumb about this, I have a book on my desk about the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest and towards the end there's a map of Northern Germany showing every claim someone made, good or bad, about the place the battle was fought on. And surprise, surprise, people across the entire map have made claims, most of them baseless. Of course if you go and argue with those locals, you look like an rear end in a top hat and make everyone mad, so the author just explains the facts and moves on the small handful of actually probable sites, like Kalkriese.

Now if you remove actual archaeology and history from the equation because Atlantis was made up instead of a real place, you end up with people finding signs all over the entire world. After all it's quite convenient how something which does not exist doesn't have any pesky facts to counter insane claims.

You could argue Atlantis was inspired by some real place the author heard about to make some sort of political/philosophical argument using this fictional place, but that doesn't loving mean the inspiration was in Bolivia. We discussed this to death in the actual history thread, but Dalael only took "You CRAZY!!!!" from this, ignoring all arguments.

And it's not about shame, Dalael. You made it clear you don't feel shame, after all. But this thing always brings a smile to my face whenever I see you posting, since your believe in Bolivian Atlantis may be insane, but it's the harmless and funny kind of insanity. And I can tolerate that.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Libluini posted:

harmless and funny kind of insanity. And I can tolerate that.

Normally you spar with someone intellectually and get a sense of their grey matter, but if you are arguing about Atlantis it should tell you some things from the start including one or two things about yourself.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Wait nevermind, Atlantis was a Disney movie. I take back what I said.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Elsa posted:

Normally you spar with someone intellectually and get a sense of their grey matter, but if you are arguing about Atlantis it should tell you some things from the start including one or two things about yourself.

Strangely enough, I think if he had thought about that line of reasoning himself, we would have just stopped engaging with him and he would have won the argument by default

Elsa posted:

Wait nevermind, Atlantis was a Disney movie. I take back what I said.

Too late

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER

VideoGames posted:

I have yes. I loved it and found it fascinating! If there was a large repository I could read of all events then I would probably sit down with it and become absolutely engrossed. I'd also be in a much better place to judge things than the stumbling around here I currently do.

It sounds like VG caught the bug.

The greatest and most redeeming thing about EVE is what the players have built up inside and surrounding the actual game itself.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Libluini posted:

You have Dalael here, thinking Atlantis was in South America is the "least crazy" theory. But he isn't alone with being dumb about this, I have a book on my desk about the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest and towards the end there's a map of Northern Germany showing every claim someone made, good or bad, about the place the battle was fought on. And surprise, surprise, people across the entire map have made claims, most of them baseless. Of course if you go and argue with those locals, you look like an rear end in a top hat and make everyone mad, so the author just explains the facts and moves on the small handful of actually probable sites, like Kalkriese.

Now if you remove actual archaeology and history from the equation because Atlantis was made up instead of a real place, you end up with people finding signs all over the entire world. After all it's quite convenient how something which does not exist doesn't have any pesky facts to counter insane claims.

You could argue Atlantis was inspired by some real place the author heard about to make some sort of political/philosophical argument using this fictional place, but that doesn't loving mean the inspiration was in Bolivia. We discussed this to death in the actual history thread, but Dalael only took "You CRAZY!!!!" from this, ignoring all arguments.

And it's not about shame, Dalael. You made it clear you don't feel shame, after all. But this thing always brings a smile to my face whenever I see you posting, since your believe in Bolivian Atlantis may be insane, but it's the harmless and funny kind of insanity. And I can tolerate that.

And see, here's where the problem lies. The only thing you took from everything I've ever posted, is "Dalael believes Atlantis is in Bolivia", while the premise of my argument is that while there is definitely no clear evidence of Atlantis' existence, we can't just say "It doesn't exist and never did" and completely disregard any theory or even attempt at bringing evidence.

I completely understand and 100% agree with you that evidence must be presented before anyone can point to any place and say, "here lies X". But the problem is when it comes to that particular city, everything is just disregarded as "crazy" and "it doesn't exist, period".
Its really hard for anyone to prove its existence when people have that mentality.

That person spent a lot of his time and his own money studying the subject. And when he sent a package to a reputable archeologist about this, it was sent back unopened with a note saying, "The study of a place that does not exist does not interest me"

What I like about this guy's theory, is that much like Troy, it matches everything in Plato's text point by point. From the size of the plain, to the location of the plain compared to the sea and literally over 50 other precise criteria. And while this is NOT proof or evidence, I think its pretty drat interesting considering the only thing we have that speaks about Atlantis, are Plato's text.

I love when people actually start debating the finer points like, "But there are no horse or elephants in South America" because then I point them to the fact that they were some just over 10k years ago. Or when they debate, "but but it was destroyed by a volcano!" when it doesn't say that anywhere in the text (I've read both Timeus and Critias several times each) or my favorite, "It says in the text that its not true" when in fact, its mentioned 23 times that it is true. Most of the time, the argument against it, are just as much bullshit as the arguments for it.

The difference between you and I is not that I believe and you do not. The difference is that I actually keep an open mind, in case it actually happens that it did exist. Just like you, I demand evidence for it. But I don't ridiculize people who try and bring said evidence. I encourage it because while Atlantis may never be found or may never have existed at all, a lot of things are dug up by people looking for it.

Take the Altiplano. Before Jim Allen came up with this theory 20 years ago, there were almost no dig sites. People didn't really care, other than maybe Tiwanaku. Jim Allen went on site, found a bunch of poo poo, brought it to the attention of the Bolivian government and today there are plenty of digs going on. Will we find Atlantis? Probably not. Will we find buried cities and other interesting stuff: definitely.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 20, 2016

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

LemonDrizzle posted:

tbf fighters are getting nerfed massively in a week or so.

Aren't they also boosting the sensor strengths of fighters, or did they drop that? Previously the "counter" was "lol bring a ton of griffins" so it sounds more like they're taking with one hand but giving with the other.

Dalael posted:

when it comes to your drawing, people need to let it go.

The scolds never bothered him anyways.

edit: lol he did it

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

VideoGames posted:

Deadtear: shut up idiot

Xolve: killed destiny.gg with me

Zephyrine: thanks for memeposting

Kismesus: glad he is banned from albion online

Syndic Thrass: ?

Mysterious Thing is Xenuria GSF and he is not allowed to post in EVE threads. (good)

Frozenpuzzy (I hate typing that name!) is an austistic goon who plays for the TDB guys and has a crazy rig going.

Dalael is a garbage dick

Endie is mentally ill

Many D names are disliked because they are bad posters

Carth Dookie is australian, while Paco Vato embraced bad posting

Ullerm :ullerm:

Avatarwin (Globby (#1 highsec ganker)) and DisgracelandUSA (Boney(#2 highsec ganker)) know the honourable ways of high sec mining in CODE.

Numismancer is Mittens, mouth of GSF.

Darius Johnson was once head of GSF and he currently has GOONSWARM instead.

i made my own list i hope you enjoy

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Anyways. Please don't bother replying. We had that argument plenty of times already.
I'm completely fine with you thinking I'm crazy because I accept the possibility that it may have actually existed.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

ty

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

please

for the love of god

shut up idiot

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I helped shoot a dread rat. 19m isk tick :toot:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

ChickenWing posted:

please

for the love of god

shut up idiot

Hey, he brought it up. :shrug:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
I'm like an hungry fish. If you dangle that kind of bait in front of me, I'll bite.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Dalael posted:

I'm like an hungry fish. If you dangle that kind of bait in front of me, I'll bite.

can u not

Jbz
Jun 6, 2011

Giving this post some credit.

E awful ruined the quote

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

I can mostly agree with this, unless you're the one who owns Leeloo Dallas MultiPass. If that's the case, your fit loving sucks. Shadow Serpentis MWD? smdh

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Xolve posted:

There's also:

Vyst was former head of GSRecon (scouting stuff in cloaky ships) and auths.

I was head of GSRecon before Vyst was, for what it's worth.

Weaselior was (is?) head of Goonswarm finance.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Dont worry. Im done my rant for today.
Its sad that im lazy because in a way i'd really like to make a thread about the subject. I kinda like debating about this. More importantly it would avoid making GBS threads up the history thread.

I make no apologies for making GBS threads up this thread tho. Its not like anything worthwhile is ever discussed here anyways.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Dalael posted:

I've never been in PL or horde. My entire time playing in EVE has either been as a high sec pubbie (first year or so) then a member of a now defunct pet alliance in The Imperium (Fatal Ascension), and now a goonswarm member.
But holy poo poo dude, you have got this figured out better than I do. Bravo!

Not really. I honestly don't believe I could survive in PL. Too much :effort: involved.

I used to want to join PL but god drat there are a lot of ex test types that are annoying as gently caress.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER

Dalael posted:

I make no apologies for making GBS threads up this thread tho. Its not like anything worthwhile is ever discussed here anyways.

I like to put on a classical music station and slowly sip my cappuccino while reviewing this thread.

At the very least, there's a strange beauty to this thread. Can't really accuse it of being prosaic.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I can mostly agree with this, unless you're the one who owns Leeloo Dallas MultiPass. If that's the case, your fit loving sucks. Shadow Serpentis MWD? smdh

i don't know who that is either tbh

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

feedmegin posted:

Vyst was former head of GSRecon (scouting stuff in cloaky ships) and auths.

I was head of GSRecon before Vyst was, for what it's worth.

Weaselior was (is?) head of Goonswarm finance.

still am, yep, which remains one of the most bizarre hobbies i could have imagined having in my life

i've had to lie when asked at work how I got so good at spreadsheets

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Jbz posted:

Giving this post some credit.

E awful ruined the quote

I appreciate you.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Mittens isn't just the mouth he's the whole face

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
oh no

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Nice, I didn't do too badly! I'll get there. :D

Until then, I cannot believe there was a derail about Atlantis. Good grief. That is not something I expected to see.

I did enjoy, thank you.

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

evilweasel posted:

still am, yep, which remains one of the most bizarre hobbies i could have imagined having in my life

lol no shame about it, I too made spreadsheets at work which nobody can amend without breaking it.

and I just resigned from my job :smugdon: have fun decoding that masterpiece

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

evilweasel posted:

would you ever list it on your CV? Like "volunteer treasurer/financial director for hobby interest group with over 9.000 members" or something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
Ffs Plato made up Atlantis with perhaps slight ecboes of thera and the collapse of minoan Crete. It having been in Bolivia is a pretty long way from being the "least insane theory" sorry if that is mundane.

Thomas More's Utopia doesn't exist and Narnia wasn't originally situated just outside Flint, Michigan. Hopefully that has it covered but if anyone wants the bad news on how they can book flights to Kings Landing then send them to me.

• Locked thread