Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Some Immigration Party voters have legitimate grievances which they whatever reason deem to be the fault of brown people, and efforts should be made to reach out to those people and understand where they're coming from and how to actually help them. That does not mean you should coddle them or legitimize the "refugee debate" or in any way shield them from the fact that they are voting for the suffering of human beings. Both sides do not, in fact, have equally valid points, and trying to pretend otherwise only gives power to the Trumps and Hitlers of the world.

And on this, an internet comedy forum that costs money to use, it does not matter one bit what Immigration Party voters think of the way "progressives" describe them, because anyone who posts here with those political views has enough of a persecution complex to last a lifetime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Kajeesus posted:

Some Immigration Party voters have legitimate grievances which they whatever reason deem to be the fault of brown people, and efforts should be made to reach out to those people and understand where they're coming from and how to actually help them.

Yes, I was trying to make a statement that was about the general electoral trend rather than debates people may have had with some diehard racists on the internet. People on an internet comedy forum do not make up enough people to elect a government. Greece and Spain have some radical right-wing parties, but they've also managed to stir up a greater amount of left-wing populist sentiment as well. Are the British and Austrians just too racist? Maybe.

But maybe because their Left-wing parties have been lazy or promoting neoliberalism for years. Then, after a massive global capitalist crisis, they don't do poo poo. Then there's a refugee crisis, and when already strained public services get even more strained to provide necessary humanitarian need, they scream RACIST at anyone who asks questions rather than reframing the debate towards public services cuts and how they are bad (the Left as a whole in general, not people on the forums or intellectuals who are good at analyzing this, but not so great at getting the message out).

If somebody says "Ban Islam, deport Muslims", they are most likely racist. On the other hand, lots of people are simply fed up, manipulated by racists, and then forced to jump through hoops to avoid being smeared when they mention their concerns to left-wing groups, or just afraid to say anything at all. These modern fascists are getting most of their support from the working-class. Are the white working class simply racist filth?

Anyway, a stupid throwaway comment went way off topic from Libertarians.

ChipNDip fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 19, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ChipNDip posted:

Are the white working class simply racist filth?

Yes, a whole shitload of them are, at least in America. I don't know the solution to this, because trying to engage with them honestly devolves into them spouting racist talking points.

Education seems like the solution, but they hate "liberal elite colleges" so I guess they just want to stay in their racist safe space bubbles.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ChipNDip posted:

Sadly, what the progressive left doesn't understand is this tone-deaf attitude like that are what allow Nazis to thrive. You have to be able to reach out to people and redirect their concerns away from xenophobic scapegoats without calling them stupid or evil.

lol you're a moron who thinks that calling someone a racist on an internet forum is "tone-deaf" and enables fascism

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I can bring this back around by pointing out libertarian politics is pretty much one giant tone argument.

The government is constantly disrespecting their rights to be obnoxious to the entire rest of society and the NAP boils down to the method in which those in power extract legitimacy from the governed.

"If only a warlord was negotiating a tithe from me instead of having to pay taxes! I would be free if personhood was the largest form of governance!"

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Sure seem to be a lot of white leftists who don't get that in America, millions of white working class voters voted to gut their own social safety nets and bust their own unions once blacks were let into the Democratic Party

You're not going to lure them into the party of racial minorities when their condition for enfranchisement is the disenfranchisement of the current party base

Just because they're working class doesn't make them right about everything, especially if they don't care much for the 40 percent of the American working class that isn't white

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 19, 2016

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

ChipNDip posted:

But maybe because their Left-wing parties have been lazy or promoting neoliberalism for years. Then, after a massive global capitalist crisis, they don't do poo poo.

Hmm, maybe the problem isn't that the left is being too mean to racists after all.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
The conservatism of the white working class is way overblown. They're racist as gently caress, yes, but that's not the only wedge issue Republicans have been using. Environmentalism is another big one—the working class has absorbed the idea that environmentalists destroyed logging and mining, and that regulation is shutting down good jobs. Even if the left were to stupidly throw PoC under the bus to appeal to the white working-class, they'd still whine about the closing of coal mines and grumble about spotted owls.

It's the white middle-class that's the problem. The Tea Partiers are not and have never been working-class. They're comfortably middle class. The white working class have always been under assault, so their resentment is at pretty much static levels—there's always a new class of immigrants to blame. The decline of the white middle class, on the other hand, has opened up a gigantic can of bees, hence the explosive reactionary movement propelling a fascist like Trump onto a major-party ticket.

(Ironically, a decent chunk of the white middle-class enjoys things like national forests enough for every hunting and outdoorsman association to burst onto the scene as soon as Republicans suggest selling off federal lands, because they know their hobby will be threatened by private landowners holding all the wilderness. They've been a key part of the bulwark keeping Republicans from mass-selling all government-owned lands—it's happened here and there, but not at the scale or rate right-wingers would like, because it's a rare moment when their own usually-loyal demographic turns against them. It's probably one of the last issues that people will cross party lines for.)

Curvature of Earth fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 19, 2016

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Curvature of Earth posted:

The conservatism of the white working class is way overblown. They're racist as gently caress, yes, but that's not the only wedge issue Republicans have been using.
The original comment was in regards to right-wing radicals in Europe, where the working-class overwhelmingly backed Hofer in Austria, and current polls say they will overwhelmingly back Brexit. FN support is also disproportionately working class.

Progressive politicians can appeal to whites without slagging off minorities or throwing out environmentalism. Bernie was not popular with minorities, and he did handle Black and Latino voters' concerns pretty awkwardly at times, but it's a bit of a stretch to say that he threw them under the bus.

Curvature of Earth posted:

Environmentalism is another big one—the working class has absorbed the idea that environmentalists destroyed logging and mining, and that regulation is shutting down good jobs. Even if the left were to stupidly throw PoC under the bus to appeal to the white working-class, they'd still whine about the closing of coal mines and grumble about spotted owls.

This is just a massive failure in controlling the narrative. Environmentalists would have more success if they stressed the impact to people rather than wild animals that they might never see. Your water and air being poisoned are much starker images than spotted owls. People are selfish, but they also like progress and stable societies. You can use this against lots of libertarians insane proposals. Privatize the fire department? Do you want your house to burn down if it's not profitable to put it out?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Soviet Commubot posted:

Yeah, legal resident although there is also a program for people without a visa but with stable resources and housing called l'aide médicale de l'état which pays for just about everything. I've never had that but an old coworker when I worked in fast food got one for his wife when her visa didn't get renewed. The fact that it even exists completely blows my mind.

I came over as a student and transitioned to an extremely niche job, I teach in a Breton language immersion school. There are an extremely limited number of Frenchmen qualified and willing to do it and obviously almost no EU nationals and they're always short every year so I had no problem getting a work visa.

That said I'm also concerned about the FN, I'm in the process of getting French citizenship but there's no way it'll be finished by the election. Even if the UMP wins, which they probably will, I'm more than a bit concerned that the rules will change in some way to gently caress me over.

Can you hold dual citizenship with both the US and France?

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Lefties aren't calling Joe Average an uneducated retard, generally speaking but sometimes you do need to give somebody a verbal slap upside the head to get their attention. When it comes to the disgusting beliefs of the far right it is very frequently the best idea to confront somebody with the brutal reality of what they're advocating. This is why people discussing lolbertarianism and debating it with people like Our Lord and Saviour Jrodimus point out the despicable evil that what he advocates actually contains.

Yeah and it worked on Jrod so why wouldn't it work on anyone else :rolleyes:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Stinky_Pete posted:

Yeah and it worked on Jrod so why wouldn't it work on anyone else :rolleyes:

jrode was a dense piece of poo poo and nothing will ever work on him

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Soviet Commubot would know for sure, but I"m almost certain that you can. I have a friend that married a French Canadian/French woman, and he plans to apply for French citizenship as soon as it is possible.

As a counterexample, Japan only allows you to be a Japanese citizen and nothing else. If you take citizenship with another country, you have to renounce your Japanese citizenship as well. Of course, what they don't know wouldn't hurt them...

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

WampaLord posted:

Yes, a whole shitload of them are, at least in America. I don't know the solution to this, because trying to engage with them honestly devolves into them spouting racist talking points.

Education seems like the solution, but they hate "liberal elite colleges" so I guess they just want to stay in their racist safe space bubbles.

Rural white people are frequently terrifyingly racist. Rural America, especially in the rust belt, is hurting something fierce. Fact is white, blue collar, rural folks are getting screwed over and they know it. This is why the right blames everything on Oblammo; they know their bloc contains a poo poo load of angry,broke white people that are struggling to get by.

Meanwhile educated liberals are telling these people that the gut feelings they use to vote are factually wrong. Turns out that the answer to crime, addiction, and poverty isn't more guns, morepolice, and more jails. Then the right screams :siren: OBAMA GONNA TAKE YOUR DOLLARS :siren: when it isn't even working class folks that the bulk of taxes will come from. But they feel unsafe and don't want their tax dollars to be eaten by mystical welfare faeries so they vote all r all the time.

That's also a demographic that frequently becomes police so of course they want more money to go into the force's hands.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

JustJeff88 posted:

Soviet Commubot would know for sure, but I"m almost certain that you can. I have a friend that married a French Canadian/French woman, and he plans to apply for French citizenship as soon as it is possible.

As a counterexample, Japan only allows you to be a Japanese citizen and nothing else. If you take citizenship with another country, you have to renounce your Japanese citizenship as well. Of course, what they don't know wouldn't hurt them...

Japanese prison.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

ChipNDip posted:

The original comment was in regards to right-wing radicals in Europe, where the working-class overwhelmingly backed Hofer in Austria, and current polls say they will overwhelmingly back Brexit. FN support is also disproportionately working class.

Progressive politicians can appeal to whites without slagging off minorities or throwing out environmentalism. Bernie was not popular with minorities, and he did handle Black and Latino voters' concerns pretty awkwardly at times, but it's a bit of a stretch to say that he threw them under the bus.

This is just a massive failure in controlling the narrative. Environmentalists would have more success if they stressed the impact to people rather than wild animals that they might never see. Your water and air being poisoned are much starker images than spotted owls. People are selfish, but they also like progress and stable societies. You can use this against lots of libertarians insane proposals. Privatize the fire department? Do you want your house to burn down if it's not profitable to put it out?

You think this is in any way based in logic, Michelle Obama tried to convince people to give their children soda instead of water and I even know several parents who intentionally bought Coke to spite her. Hell look at those people who breath in the exhaust fumes just to spite him, this is all driven by looking for something to hate and you can't explain your way out of it to most people.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

So maybe this is libertarianism 101, but assuming private ownership of all property happened, how would the transfer of all that land take place? Homesteading? Purchase from the federal government? And isn't the privatization of the former Soviet unions collective assets and the subsequent descent into oligarchy like and immediate and obvious rebuttal?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

JustJeff88 posted:

Don't be so sure about that.

I'd post this in the Schadenfruede thread if it weren't such a niche interest. I'm quite satisfied with the way it turned out :smug:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

socialsecurity posted:

You think this is in any way based in logic, Michelle Obama tried to convince people to give their children soda instead of water and I even know several parents who intentionally bought Coke to spite her. Hell look at those people who breath in the exhaust fumes just to spite him, this is all driven by looking for something to hate and you can't explain your way out of it to most people.

err you got that the other way around with the soda and water.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Ron Jeremy posted:

So maybe this is libertarianism 101, but assuming private ownership of all property happened, how would the transfer of all that land take place? Homesteading? Purchase from the federal government? And isn't the privatization of the former Soviet unions collective assets and the subsequent descent into oligarchy like and immediate and obvious rebuttal?

Walter Block suggested revolutionary tribunals soooo

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ron Jeremy posted:

We asked jrod this question, and his answer was, paraphrased: we don't have to worry about it because in a freed market the wealth will naturally flow to the most deserving, if your Cherokee rear end can't earn enough gold to buy back your land you didn't deserve it anyway.

I think he made an exception to this for people who could definitively prove a straight-line ancestral claim to a specific piece of stolen land back however-many generations. And also an exception for any descendant of slaves who could definitively trace their lineage back to a specific plantation could then sue to turn the current owners out and get that 40 acres and a mule, but if another descendant of slaves has an older claim you're SOL but thank your grand granddad for us for the free labor bye.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Right wing Libertarianism is garbage.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

VitalSigns posted:

We asked jrod this question, and his answer was, paraphrased: we don't have to worry about it because in a freed market the wealth will naturally flow to the most deserving, if your Cherokee rear end can't earn enough gold to buy back your land you didn't deserve it anyway.

I think he made an exception to this for people who could definitively prove a straight-line ancestral claim to a specific piece of stolen land back however-many generations. And also an exception for any descendant of slaves who could definitively trace their lineage back to a specific plantation could then sue to turn the current owners out and get that 40 acres and a mule, but if another descendant of slaves has an older claim you're SOL but thank your grand granddad for us for the free labor bye.

But remember only (probably completely unprovable) individual claims count, no using tribe wide claims! Whats that? Your tribe didn't have a concept of individual ownership and exclusive use of discrete parcels of land? Tooooo loving bad. :smug:

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Right wing Libertarianism is garbage.

Is there left wing libertarianism?

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Noam Chomsky is a Left-wing Libertarian, friend. He actually has sound theory, but Left-wing Libertarianism is pretty close to a mix of anarcho-communism and anarcho-syndicalism

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

You can, although the FN wants to change that so I need to get it while the getting's good.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Rural white people are frequently terrifyingly racist. Rural America, especially in the rust belt, is hurting something fierce. Fact is white, blue collar, rural folks are getting screwed over and they know it. This is why the right blames everything on Oblammo; they know their bloc contains a poo poo load of angry,broke white people that are struggling to get by.

Meanwhile educated liberals are telling these people that the gut feelings they use to vote are factually wrong. Turns out that the answer to crime, addiction, and poverty isn't more guns, morepolice, and more jails. Then the right screams :siren: OBAMA GONNA TAKE YOUR DOLLARS :siren: when it isn't even working class folks that the bulk of taxes will come from. But they feel unsafe and don't want their tax dollars to be eaten by mystical welfare faeries so they vote all r all the time.

That's also a demographic that frequently becomes police so of course they want more money to go into the force's hands.

Suburban white people are just as bad as rural ones, they're just better at dog-whistling.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Yes! :negative: Yes aaarggghhhhhh :suicide:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Has there ever been a damnatio memoriae as thorough as the excision of anything about anarchism from the mind of the American public

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

SedanChair posted:

Has there ever been a damnatio memoriae as thorough as the excision of anything about anarchism from the mind of the American public

Talk to me like at a 5th grade level please

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

SedanChair posted:

uhhh they're the guys immigration were super scared of and who shot William McKinley. people were super convinced they wanted to bomb and set fire to everything. that's about all i got.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Noam Chomsky is a Left-wing Libertarian, friend. He actually has sound theory, but Left-wing Libertarianism is pretty close to a mix of anarcho-communism and anarcho-syndicalism

SedanChair posted:

Oh, ok I guess I just wasn't thinking of the L-word being applied to left-anarchism.When I hear 'libertarianism' I just assume it's either the wishy washy "fiscally conservative and socially liberal" or some right-wing "privatize absolutely everything" kind of ideology.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
"Civil libertarian" used to be a phrase regularly applied to ACLU types.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

SedanChair posted:

Americans have been convinced that "the market" is the opposite of "the government" in the sense that the less there is of one thing, the more there is of the other. So communism is total government while anarchism is total market, which is why anarcho-capitalism is plausible.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Soviet Commubot posted:

Suburban white people are just as bad as rural ones, they're just better at dog-whistling.

I think what really determines this is how much you live and work around other races. It's hard to be a racist rear end in a top hat in California if you have even an ounce of empathy, just because you have an understanding that not everyone in the country is a WASP. That being said, I've run into plenty of assholes who don't have that ounce of empathy to start with.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SedanChair posted:

Anarchism is bullshit, states are great. Nice ideas for 1800 maybe, useless past 1950.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Dirk the Average posted:

I think what really determines this is how much you live and work around other races. It's hard to be a racist rear end in a top hat in California if you have even an ounce of empathy, just because you have an understanding that not everyone in the country is a WASP. That being said, I've run into plenty of assholes who don't have that ounce of empathy to start with.

not if you're a rich asian who lives in a town or neighborhood that only has rich asians (like my own) or if you're from a whitebread small town or suburb (yeah, those still exist here, especially in the wannabe "state of jefferson" and the suburbs east of sacramento)

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

fishmech posted:

Anarchism is bullshit, states are great. Nice ideas for 1800 maybe, useless past 1950.

I don't agree with anarchism, but I can definitely sympathize with it. They at least acknowledge that power structures can lead to massive abuses, and unlike the Libertarians they understand that government isn't the only flavor oppression can come in. The problem comes when they declare all power structures to be bad by definition, and think it's possible to create a world without them.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

Your relentless efforts to denigrate anarchism must be the best possible way to both introduce people to anarchism and predispose them to liking it

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Goon Danton posted:

Welcome back friend! I just want to reiterate a couple questions so that you don't have to dig through multiple pages to find them. Namely:
  • Are you familiar with the Violinist thought experiment as a part of the abortion debate? I would like to hear your thoughts on it if you are.
  • Do you feel the government has the right to prevent racial (or sexual preference, etc) discrimination in private accommodations?

I get you won't respond today, I just want to make substantial debate more convenient when you do.

I'm going to keep it short...

Wasn't familiar with the Violinist before it being mentioned here. My opinion? It's a flawed analogy. Both you and the violinist exist before the interaction occurs. Pregnancy is the creation of life. And then the fact that they found you to sustain the violinist is makes any action moral depending on how much you value life. You either value life more or "right to body" more... For me personally, I'd stay hooked up in that scenario and we'd have to figure out redress for the criminal actions and that you've tied me up for months.

Aside: Rabid violin fans?!? Sounds like Viola players... the weirdest people you'll ever meet.

The only reason I would personally take no action on abortion is, knowing that prohibition would not work, I wouldn't want to push mothers into situations where they could die themselves because they're having to go through shady means to get one. We are at a weird period... we're pretty good at preventing pregnancies and terminating them, but not so much at sustaining them outside an unwilling mother.

Now the racial question... again. The government doesn't have rights, individuals have rights. The government has powers that are granted to them. Yes, they have the power to enforce equal treatment in public situations. If you're business is open to the public, you should service the public. If you don't want to bake a gay nazi cake that might violate your personal ethics... don't bake custom cakes. Serve only pre-made cakes. To me, when you're stating to the government that you're forming a public business (which could be a long freakin' discussion) you're agreeing to abide by their rules. This is Gary Johnson's stance and he DID get some kickback because it doesn't follow the strict voluntaryism of some people.

Now the part other may not like about my viewpoint is if you're truly private as a business, membership fee and sign an agreement that you can admit and exclude whoever you feel like... I don't view it as the government's job to "enforce" in that situation. I also don't generally agree on the enforcement most think of too. Jail? Fines? Literal force? Nah, strip their business licenses and tax ID. You then either have to reform as a new completely private business or continue and the government can and should nail you for tax evasion. (forms of taxes could be another long discussion, I don't agree with income tax AND business tax AND sales tax AND fees all at the same time)

I think one issue many have with my stances are also I'd have different answers for what should be done under what we currently have politically vs. what ideally I'd like. Ideally I'd like the government out of healthcare, but that's not really possible without utterly loving the system we have right now. Under this as I said before I'm okay with single-payer healthcare because healthcare doesn't act as a "free market". When you need help you need it right then. You can't price compare for "I'm going to die in the next few minutes". We probably could have done reforms that would have made the healthcare market function better, but that ship has sailed and we're left with the dildo of compromise up our bums.

I do find it interesting the reactions to rising cost though. Anyone notice locally that "urgent care" clinics are popping up more? I've used them rather than waiting to see my primary care doctor and it was great for simple stuff like when I somehow managed to get pink eye. At the rate we're going the only "personal touch" we'll get from our medical professionals is a prostate/breast cancer exam... might as well just go for the medical equivalent of a quick change oil service.

Stinky_Pete posted:

Here's a link to my effortpost as well

Not ignoring you. I just don't have the time to keep up with the thread and write responses I'm satisfied with. I don't really think we're far in some areas... it's a tough conversation because it's not just education, it's funding it and other discussions such as funding it and debates on structural disadvantages, etc... if we rewound 10 years ago to before the interest rates cranked up I don't think it'd be a topic of discussion. I called my reps then and the consequences of something that seemed pretty small we're feeling now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

xwing posted:

Now the racial question... again. The government doesn't have rights, individuals have rights. The government has powers that are granted to them. Yes, they have the power to enforce equal treatment in public situations. If you're business is open to the public, you should service the public. If you don't want to bake a gay nazi cake that might violate your personal ethics... don't bake custom cakes. Serve only pre-made cakes. To me, when you're stating to the government that you're forming a public business (which could be a long freakin' discussion) you're agreeing to abide by their rules.

I don't see a meaningful difference between a "right" and a "power" in this. Either way, you're asking "is it permissible for <entity> to do <thing>" whether the permissibility is from having a right to do <thing> or being empowered to do <thing>. So why are you insisting on this distinction?