Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

There are a few North-Korean restaurants scattered across the world. I know there's one in Amsterdam, for instance. If you go there you get "authentic North-Korean food" or so they promise, and there's a dance show by Korean girls.

A while ago I did some googling and as far as people can tell, these joints are being run by the official North Korean state mafia, which is why the North Korean government allows them to exist. They're used for white washing money, and any profit they make goes directly to the North Korean state.

The North Korean government KNOWS that their system of economy is a complete failure. To make sure the place doesn't completely fall apart and the rich leaders stay rich and leaders, they employ criminals to do offshore capitalism and such. That's why the state won't try to stop them. That mafia does a lot of financial fraud and it's probably not fun for a North Korean to fall into their hands, but for us it's not really an issue, and you'd be safe if you visited one of these abroad North Korean restaurants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Do they explicitly market their food as North Korean? You would think they'd just call it Korean, both to promote Korean unity and not to scare away customers.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

You would think they'd just call it Korean

Uhh yeah because they want to compete with all the other Korean restaurants instead of standing out as exotic?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Phlegmish posted:

Do they explicitly market their food as North Korean? You would think they'd just call it Korean, both to promote Korean unity and not to scare away customers.

It's called Pyongyang Restaurant so yeah it's pretty explicit. The whole thing is the exoticism. Most of the customers are South Koreans, at least at the ones in Asia.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Grand Fromage posted:

It's called Pyongyang Restaurant so yeah it's pretty explicit. The whole thing is the exoticism. Most of the customers are South Koreans, at least at the ones in Asia.

The north also has its own regional dishes, there are plenty of restaurants in South Korea that have 'Pyeongyang" in the name.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I know nothing about Korean cuisine, so I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I just realized I've eaten at every type of Asian restaurant that exists, except Korean for some reason.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

oldman posted:

The north also has its own regional dishes, there are plenty of restaurants in South Korea that have 'Pyeongyang" in the name.

That's really just Pyongyang naengmyeon if you're in the south.

Phlegmish: In general it was the same stuff before the division, and since then they've drifted apart because of the American (and other foreign) influence on South Korean food which obviously doesn't exist in the North. Modern South Korean food is much sweeter and has more meat dishes, as well as stuff like Spam. North Korea has also retained the use of cilantro (which is especially a Kaesong thing), while the South has stopped using it except for some northern grandmas who still do things the old way.

Korean food outside Korea tends to be more old school in my experience, it hasn't been sweetened up the way the food in Korea was, so it's more similar to what you might expect in North Korea. Korean food is good, you should get some. Just don't let them sucker you into "foreigners like bibimbap" because that's the most boring of all Korean cuisine.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
There's a restaurant in the US, in Pittsburgh, that specifically serves food from countries that the US is in some sort of conflict with. They create menus for one country at a time. Here's their menu from when it was a North Korean joint:

http://conflictkitchen.org/past/north-korea/

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That's all standard Korean stuff. Naengmyeon is the only thing specifically North Korean on that menu. Their ddeokbokki should be less sweet though, if they're doing it well.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Grand Fromage posted:

That's all standard Korean stuff. Naengmyeon is the only thing specifically North Korean on that menu. Their ddeokbokki should be less sweet though, if they're doing it well.

It's at least interesting to see a restaurant serving food styled as "North Korean" that isn't profiting the government of the DPRK in some way, no?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Oh yeah I'm not crapping on the place, I always thought that restaurant was a neat idea. I'm sure they eat all that in North Korea, I just mean the food is pretty similar.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Carbon dioxide posted:

A while ago I did some googling and as far as people can tell, these joints are being run by the official North Korean state mafia, which is why the North Korean government allows them to exist. They're used for white washing money, and any profit they make goes directly to the North Korean state.

It's not to launder money (well, not primarily), it's to obtain foreign currency that actually has international liquidity.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

steinrokkan posted:

It's not to launder money (well, not primarily), it's to obtain foreign currency that actually has international liquidity.

Yeah you aren't buying many luxuries in North Korean Won or stolen sacks of grain from government depots.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Good to see Sakhalin has been annexed by the Sinic World.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Korean food is good, you should get some. Just don't let them sucker you into "foreigners like bibimbap" because that's the most boring of all Korean cuisine.

Yeah but bibimbap is very good and refreshingly simple/satisfying. And having it cook in the stone bowl while you eat is great.

I love their stews too. I eat at a bunch of Korean restaurants in my city (and always have a tub of kimchi around), and as far as I can tell almost all Korean food is stews? Maybe its just the places I go to.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Golbez posted:

Good to see Sakhalin has been annexed by the Sinic World.
Only the bottom bit. And the whole of Kamchatka.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

And the Wakhan Corridor.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

A sliver of Afghanistan also seems to be colored in.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Guavanaut posted:

Only the bottom bit. And the whole of Kamchatka.

Doh, I meant Kamchatka. Completely missed Sakhalin.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

I'm loving how China is basically "Han's" with some Manchu up north. Because apparently the only kind of Chinese are Han.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Can anyone point me to a good, really hi-res world map with no labels? I want to make one labeled with every nation's endonym (and those of their capitals) in their native languages and alphabetic scripts where applicable, and maybe some of their other names that may have come from their colonial histories. I'm not sure if I want to do this on one giant world map, or to make an atlas with each individual continent (or even subregion), taking legibility into consideration. As you can tell, this has the potential to be politically loaded as gently caress.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Count Roland posted:

I eat at a bunch of Korean restaurants in my city (and always have a tub of kimchi around), and as far as I can tell almost all Korean food is stews? Maybe its just the places I go to.

Stews and soups make up a big chunk of Korean cuisine, but there's other stuff like the aforementioned naengmyeon (cold noodles) and bibimbap, among a bunch of other things. If the stews and soups you're trying are like 75% inedible stuff (usually bones, maybe shells if it's seafood) then its legit.

For mildly adventurous eaters, I always recommend makchang, which is pig intestine prepared in various possible ways (I prefer a spicy red pepper variety) and is p great if you're not weird about non-muscle animal parts. Also yuk-hwe (or however it's best to romanize 회), or beef sashimi. So many people I know wuss out on trying those, though :(

edit: Sorry all, lost track of the thread and contribted to a food derail. I'll try posting a map instead next time.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
With food like that how could have the EUrasian Korean Empire crumbled all those millenia ago. </sarcasm>

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Can anyone point me to a good, really hi-res world map with no labels? I want to make one labeled with every nation's endonym (and those of their capitals) in their native languages and alphabetic scripts where applicable, and maybe some of their other names that may have come from their colonial histories. I'm not sure if I want to do this on one giant world map, or to make an atlas with each individual continent (or even subregion), taking legibility into consideration. As you can tell, this has the potential to be politically loaded as gently caress.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ad/BlankMap-World_gray.svg/2000px-BlankMap-World_gray.svg.png
Change the 2000px to whatever width you want and go hog wild.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Blank_maps Has a ton in svg format, which means you can scale it to be as big as you want.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Perfect, thanks!

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Peanut President posted:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ad/BlankMap-World_gray.svg/2000px-BlankMap-World_gray.svg.png
Change the 2000px to whatever width you want and go hog wild.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Blank_maps Has a ton in svg format, which means you can scale it to be as big as you want.

That's a pretty politically loaded map. Why is Europe the only place with detailed coastlines and actual borders instead of vague curvy lines?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

a pipe smoking dog posted:

That's a pretty politically loaded map. Why is Europe the only place with detailed coastlines and actual borders instead of vague curvy lines?

Because that was a map of europe that later got the rest of the world added to it.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Peanut President posted:

Because that was a map of europe that later got the rest of the world added to it.

So it's a map is what you're saying?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Count Roland posted:

Yeah but bibimbap is very good and refreshingly simple/satisfying. And having it cook in the stone bowl while you eat is great.

I love their stews too. I eat at a bunch of Korean restaurants in my city (and always have a tub of kimchi around), and as far as I can tell almost all Korean food is stews? Maybe its just the places I go to.

Dolsot bibimbap is the stone bowl kind and that's a whole other thing. Regular bibimbap sucks. Dolsot with a runny egg and good veggies is okay.

A huge percentage of Korean food is "boil thing to death and cover with pepper paste". There are different words for soups and stews but it's all kind of the same thing. Korean food is kind of still stuck in its famine days, but at the end of my time living there I did see some restaurants with chefs starting to experiment with things like technique and using quality ingredients, with great results. There'll be a lot of good stuff 5-10 years from now I think, unless everyone dies from drinking corn syrup.

My favorite simple rice thing is jeyuk deopbap (제육덮밥), if they have that try it. It may be called jeyuk bokkeum (제육볶음) instead.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
I still don't know if budae jjigae is a joke or not.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I think it's mainly a thing eaten while shitfaced now, though I've had people claim they legitimately like it so who knows. It originally was just throwing all the packaged food the US brought in during the Korean War together into a pot in an attempt to make something edible. Why people who aren't in danger of starvation are still eating it I couldn't tell you.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I think it's mainly a thing eaten while shitfaced now, though I've had people claim they legitimately like it so who knows. It originally was just throwing all the packaged food the US brought in during the Korean War together into a pot in an attempt to make something edible. Why people who aren't in danger of starvation are still eating it I couldn't tell you.

Habits ingrained during a period of food shortage die hard. My grandparents' generation still mixed ground andive in their coffee even though coffee itself was plentiful again after 1945.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

the jizz taxi posted:

Habits ingrained during a period of food shortage die hard. My grandparents' generation still mixed ground andive in their coffee even though coffee itself was plentiful again after 1945.

I'm talking like 20 year olds, not grandparents. Korea's a very conservative place so it just stuck I suppose. Excess also is a Korean thing, they out American America on all sorts of food. Such as:

A hot dog, dipped in pancake batter, with french fries stuck in it, deep fried, usually served with any or all of ketchup, a roll in sugar, or straight HFCS. :cryingeagle:

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
So that's what it feels like when the abyss stares back at you.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
So that's what a heart attack on a stick looks like.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm talking like 20 year olds, not grandparents. Korea's a very conservative place so it just stuck I suppose. Excess also is a Korean thing, they out American America on all sorts of food. Such as:

A hot dog, dipped in pancake batter, with french fries stuck in it, deep fried, usually served with any or all of ketchup, a roll in sugar, or straight HFCS. :cryingeagle:

Our french-fry pancake corndogs are bigger in Taiwan :smuggo:

But they don't do the sugar or HFCS, just lightly brush ketchup on it.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

So that's what a heart attack on a stick looks like.

The stick is also very pointy. I am pretty sure its a population control thing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

YF19pilot posted:

Our french-fry pancake corndogs are bigger in Taiwan :smuggo:

But they don't do the sugar or HFCS, just lightly brush ketchup on it.

I've seen bigger ones than that. Koreans love making food sweet, my favorite was at the Costco food counter. The food's exactly the same as the US so it was actually one of the better places to get a pizza, unless you love whipped cream and blueberry jam stuffed crust shrimp and sweet potato mayonnaise pizzas. Anyway, since the pizza wasn't sweet that didn't fit the Korean sensibility, and they had condiments to take care of it. Ketchup and mustard for the hot dogs (or, more likely, the Korean innovation of covering a plate with chopped onions, mixing in ketchup and mustard, and eating it as a side dish), and a pump bottle of corn syrup to sweeten up everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Every fatal traffic accident in the US from 2004 to 2013