Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Characters much like people behave in suboptimal ways from time to time.

Ramsay gonna get pooped out by dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
I guess now we know who had more plotarmor/powerlevel was higher, so we can put that debate to rest.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Good thing Rickon hasn't heard of lateral movement, eh?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Anyone else get the feeling Martin got to CoK and decided "I gave the Starks one too many kids"? Is there a reason for Rickon to be in the story besides some kind of theoretical obstacle to Sansa being the Winterfell heir apparent?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Did anyone else think the massive pile of corpses was gonna get ressed by Night's King halfway through? I (stupidly) thought the Vale army was far too obvious a twist.

Good episode though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

"btw jon i had 5000 men on the way as back up lol"
- Sansa Stark, The Art of War.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Yet another just in time army. Meh.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Haven't seen the episode yet - as some one else wrote, I have no problem reading this thread first to set my (low) expectations for the episode. bummed to hear about wun-wun though.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Well that's great. Just perfect. The north is ready for zambos, dragons are ready to go west, the Landing is ready to become unstable and in need of saving; no idiotic knots, no loose ends, no dumbass new characters that go nowhere, no procrastination.

Winds/next season should just be that: Ice moving south, Fire moving west, humans getting pushed together, and Dream/Finale is Ice versus Fire

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

At least they restrained themselves a little. When Jon was beating the hell out of Ramsey, I half-expected someone to stab him from behind (We see the spear/knife/arrow come out of his throat or open mouth).

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Was this fight as good as any of the daredevil s2 fights?

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

I really enjoyed the episode, but I have a really hard time ignoring how bad tv-writers are about medieval battles. Like a horse charge where most of the ridders don't use shield or lances, no one wearing plate-armor and never retreating for a second charge. No real formations, although props to the bolton mens shield wall with long lances, that's like one of the best shield walls I have seen in any tv-show and movie. Jon Snow wearing neither a shield, helmet or any proper armor was ridiculous, though I have gotten used to main characters never using helmets.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Kavak posted:

Anyone else get the feeling Martin got to CoK and decided "I gave the Starks one too many kids"? Is there a reason for Rickon to be in the story besides some kind of theoretical obstacle to Sansa being the Winterfell heir apparent?

Unlike GRRM they are tying up loose ends. They know they can't just leave a random Stark kid out so they actually incorporate him into a plot! The show has a plot that moves forward!

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Atreiden posted:

I really enjoyed the episode, but I have a really hard time ignoring how bad tv-writers are about medieval battles. Like a horse charge where most of the ridders don't use shield or lances, no one wearing plate-armor and never retreating for a second charge. No real formations, although props to the bolton mens shield wall with long lances, that's like one of the best shield walls I have seen in any tv-show and movie. Jon Snow wearing neither a shield, helmet or any proper armor was ridiculous, though I have gotten used to main characters never using helmets.

I think they don't use lances because they could accidentally pole vault off the horse if they stab at the ground.

Main characters don't have helmets because otherwise how would you know them from the random guys around them? also, how would you know he's mad at Ramsay without seeing his rage face?

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

The show has a plot that moves forward!

Except an entire season later the show has barely got ahead of where ADWD was supposed to end

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Unlike GRRM they are tying up loose ends. They know they can't just leave a random Stark kid out so they actually incorporate him into a plot! The show has a plot that moves forward!

So yeah, he was pointless. The American Tolkien, upstaged by the adaptation that finished his own story while he was still alive!

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Daius posted:

Except an entire season later the show has barely got ahead of where ADWD was supposed to end

Considering they wrapped up in ~1.5 seasons what gurm has yet to finish in 2 megatomes, I'd say they've made good enough progress.

Winds, presuming it now exists or ever will exist, still has a bunch of B, C, and D plots to wrap up besides finishing the A plot from Dance to match the show's progress

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Dumbass fatman hosed up as an author and as a businessman: he should've saved a lot of his world-building for side-stories like Dunk & Egg. Then he'd have less trouble writing the main books and he could keep tapping the world of ice & fire for money long after Dany shits upon her porcelain throne

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

visceril posted:

I think they don't use lances because they could accidentally pole vault off the horse if they stab at the ground.

Main characters don't have helmets because otherwise how would you know them from the random guys around them? also, how would you know he's mad at Ramsay without seeing his rage face?

Oh I know there is all kind of reasons for a lot of it, it just takes me out of the scenes when there is to much of it. I can understand the fear with using lances (although some of the ridders did have some) and main characters not using helmets. But at least put them in some actual armor, especially the supposed knights and lords.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Let's look at what the show actually progressed with each plot thread, shall we?

The North - One battle for Winterfell substituted for another.

Kings Landing - Hemming and Hawwing about trials

BWB and the Riverlands - Nothing

Dorne - Nothing

Iron Islands - Nothing

Mereen - Tyrion is a lovely politician

Dany - Took a season to get back to mereen and end the battle of Fire

Bran - Did a bit of new stuff but mostly just gave us flashbacks

Arya - watched a play and decided to leave

Sam - Nothing

Other plot threads - missing or derailed

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Daius posted:

The North - Stannis defeated, Rickon, Shireen dead, Jon rezzed (more aggressive), Starks retake Winterfell and the North with the Knight of the Vale.

Kings Landing - Tommen will soon be dead, Cersei will soon try to burn down the city. Power vaccuum. Ready to be invaded.

Dany - Returns to Mereen. Ready to go to Westeros with Dothraki and Unsullied Army, Iron Islands Navy and Dragon Air Force.

Other plot threads - pointless and unnecessary.

TommyGun85 fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jun 20, 2016

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
I just realized: Jaime getting back together with Cersei was done to sanitize her character. Just like the play. I don't know why they felt the need to do that, but they did

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Atreiden posted:

a second charge.

Until the reformation of cavalry tactics by Cromwell, this almost never happened.

Blind Sally posted:

i blame the Starks. as it was said, if Sansa had told Jon she had some cavalry in reserve, he wouldn't have suffered such heavy losses.

Ramsay would not have committed all of his reserves either, meaning the Arryn forces would have arrived on the battlefield and just milled about a bit and then got peppered by arrows.

The whole lead up to this battle with houses telling Jon to piss off was to show just how hopeless his situation was, and how in need they were of Littlefinger. Ramsay committing his reserves to a shieldwall envelopment was sheer hubris, presumably his archers were given pikes and sent in. No sane commander who is winning commits his reserves, especially his archers.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 20, 2016

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

DrProsek posted:

Yeah, the best I can think of is either a) After her meeting with Jon, Sansa rode out all night to speak to Little Finger and arrange for him to send his army that was already mobilized because reasons, or b) Sansa already had the reinforcements ready when she's speaking with Jon. She neglects to tell him about the reinforcements because she knows if he thinks he has any additional troops he'll just send them straight into his giant glorious charge. She hides the existence of the extra soldiers and has them hold back as reserves to counter charge once Ramsay does whatever sneaky poo poo he has planned.

Or c) the writing is poo poo.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I really enjoyed it, I have to admit. I was going to post about how yet another last minute cavalry rescue is so cliched and that sooner or later a Westeros commander will scout enough to make sure there isn't another whole army just round the corner, but reading this,

DrProsek posted:

She hides the existence of the extra soldiers and has them hold back as reserves to counter charge once Ramsay does whatever sneaky poo poo he has planned.

I quite like the idea that Sansa knows how loving terrible Jon Show is at everything so she doesn't tell him about the Vale army and just lets Ramsay reveal his tactics before committing her forces. Teleporting Littlefinger is just something you have to accept in the show now.

Also, after twenty years, motherfucking dragons on a battlefield.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 20, 2016

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

visceril posted:

I just realized: Jaime getting back together with Cersei was done to sanitize her character. Just like the play. I don't know why they felt the need to do that, but they did

So that it makes it that much more powerful when he chokes her with his golden hand after she torches the city and he realizes she was the evil he had tried to stop before.

His arc is so much more truncated and unbelievable in the show as a result. I wonder what his end position will be - likely dead but I would like to see him play a role in the fight against the wights and I am sure he will.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

visceril posted:

Because a lot of people like Cersei. She's a tiger mom, you see. Rawr!

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Good thing Tyrion reminded us about all the wildfire hidden around Kingslanding, so hopefully no one is confused when Cersei wants to use it to blow up the sept of Balor.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Atreiden posted:

Good thing Tyrion reminded us about all the wildfire hidden around Kingslanding, so hopefully no one is confused when Cersei wants to use it to blow up the sept of Balor.

the idiot showrunners are aware that the idiot show watchers are idiots.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Really glad they brought back Rickon and Osha and Shaggydog to have them killed for no reason. That's way better than the Cannibal King of Skaagos.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Hang on, was that stag Shireen's or something?

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Junkenstein posted:

Yes, it was a toy given to her by Davos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sVaiv087rE

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Oh poo poo, Mel gonna get onioned.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Junkenstein posted:

Don't you even watch the "previously on..."?

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

TommyGun85 posted:

the idiot showrunners are aware that the idiot show watchers are idiots.

Junkenstein posted:

This is why Tyrion mentioned the wildfire. I didn't think it was a gratuitous mention, either, as it was directly relevant to the discussion.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
So ep 10 is either going to have Cersei blow up KL in a huge season finale, or she'll be stopped at the last second and blueball everyone.

Either way the next year of fan theories are going to be very silly.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I did rather like the shooting of the battle even if the cg was a little rough.

But it was hard to appreciate with the whole thing being so stupid. Jon is a terrible general who no one should follow, and Sansa let thousands of men die by not telling anyone about the Vale army.

I guess Littlefinger can marry Sansa and declare himself Warden Of The North now? Not like anyone has an army to stop him.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

mossyfisk posted:

I did rather like the shooting of the battle even if the cg was a little rough.

But it was hard to appreciate with the whole thing being so stupid. Jon is a terrible general who no one should follow, and Sansa let thousands of men die by not telling anyone about the Vale army.

I guess Littlefinger can marry Sansa and declare himself Warden Of The North now? Not like anyone has an army to stop him.

You had to tune out everything that was stupid about it (and it was a big list) to enjoy that battle. I only partially managed it

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 20, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

So ep 10 is either going to have Cersei blow up KL in a huge season finale, or she'll be stopped at the last second and blueball everyone.

Either way the next year of fan theories are going to be very silly.

She's going to bust into Killer Queen ~Westeros mix~ and the credits will come up just as she gets to the chorus

Why didn't Rickon hide behind one of the Bolton flayed men burning X's and just flip the bird at Ramsey until Jon caught up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Is Warden of the North a title you can inherit? I thought that was an appointment made by the crown.