Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Skyl3lazer posted:

Man what an awful and underwhelming card. They can't even just loving have it mindslaver, it gives your opp an extra turn. It's probably mediocre but playable in standard and unplayable everywhere else.

It's probably 9-10 mana for "You win the game" 90% of the time in standard. That isn't "awful."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

It has a cast trigger that literally draws your opponent an extra card

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I will say tying in 13 is a cleverer idea than I expected.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sickening posted:

Whats the over/under for modern playability?

i think Emrakul is gonna have over 15 goals

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Skyl3lazer posted:

Man what an awful and underwhelming card. They can't even just loving have it mindslaver, it gives your opp an extra turn. It's probably mediocre but playable in standard and unplayable everywhere else.

I don't think the card is awful, but it is certainly underwhelming as gently caress. This is Emrakul! The card has a certain legacy to it and cache about its coolness. We are kind of numb to it now, but the original Emrakul was striking as hell. This one......it just feels like they took Emrakul and tried to make it weaker. Now the card may end up being the stupidly powerful payoff that delirium strategies were looking for, and I hope that is the case....but its sad that Emrakul feels weaker than her compatriots.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

BJPaskoff posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TN0b8ik0B8

The narration was corny, but the reveal of Emrakul in the trailer was pretty neat and I'm sad I saw the card before watching the video. Looks like we're getting Emrakul-warped versions of various monsters. The way they did the flashes of things like the werewolf and the horse becoming Eldrazified leads me to believe that there will be DFCs where one side is the monster and one side is the Emrakul-warped version of it.

Since they've confirmed Liliana is fighting Emrakul directly and that the rest of the Gatewatch is on Innistrad, and since this represents the cross-set completion of a cycle, I'm thinking we're getting an Oath of Liliana?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
also, everyone please stop saying over/under if you don't actually know what that means, thank you

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
lastly, goddamn is that a disappointing card, what the hell

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Over is the human side and under is the werewolf one, right?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

flavor article: A series of randoms saying things like One'mrakul, We'mrakul, You'mrakul, etc.

nahiri summons emrakul

gisela and bruna merge into whatever this is:

jace calls for the cavalry

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mandatory lesbian posted:

also, everyone please stop saying over/under if you don't actually know what that means, thank you

Also, every please stop being loving retards about cards that do powerful, unique things by saying they are underwhelming. As far as standard power level goes there isn't much that is on this level.

All that remains to figure out is if there will be a deck for it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Skyl3lazer posted:

By the time you're taking one of their turns with 9+ mana available it's going to win you the game most of the time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Disappointed the rest of the PWs didn't get snazzy period appropriate costumes.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Sickening posted:

Also, every please stop being loving retards about cards that do powerful, unique things by saying they are underwhelming. As far as standard power level goes there isn't much that is on this level.

Eh, Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger and Kozilek, The Great Distortion, were both more striking. This card might play in a fun way, but a lot of its abilities just feel like weaker versions of Emrakul's previous ones. It lacks the emotional punch the other Eldrazi titans have had.

I will say that it could end up being super powerful, and it wouldn't surprise me. Its just the initial emotional reaction to the card I'm talking about. If I evaluate its power level, the fact that it has a cost reduction mechanic built in as well as evasion and a disruptive ability means it is probably a good card.

Elyv posted:

flavor article: A series of randoms saying things like One'mrakul, We'mrakul, You'mrakul, etc.

nahiri summons emrakul

gisela and bruna merge into whatever this is:

jace calls for the cavalry

This is cool body horror art, I like it.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 20, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Madmarker posted:

Eh, Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger and Kozilek, The Great Distortion, were both more striking. This card might play in a fun way, but a lot of its abilities just feel like weaker versions of Emrakul's previous ones. It lacks the emotional punch the other Eldrazi titans have had.

This is cool body horror art, I like it.

Kozilek is terrible. Also:

quote:

Brian Braun-Duin ‏@BraunDuinIt 17s18 seconds ago
@Chris_VanMeter I think it is better than Ulamog.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Sickening posted:

But it is super underwhelming? Like average case scenario with this card -

Get to 9-10 mana, cast emrakul (1:0 card advantage)
Draw card for opp's turn (0:0 card advantage)
Suicide a single creature into your emrakul (1:0)
If they have a removal spell, maybe aim it at one of their creatures if it's a legal target + they actually have another creature (3:1 sometimes)
Pass
Opp gets another turn

The italicized line is the problem. You know what else costs 10 mana but is always a 3 for 1 plus is harder to kill? Newlamog. Know what will probably give you a greater card advantage? New Kozilek.

The only advantage is turning Nahiri's -8 into a 13 damage burn spell, and decks that play Nahiri aren't ramping to 9 or 10 to cast Emrakul. Like sure the card is powerful but it's far from an autoloss when your opponent casts it.

Really why isn't it just mindslaver

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 20, 2016

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Skyl3lazer posted:

You get to attack their creatures into your 13/13

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

it is a cute interaction that it has protection from instants and then you get to take their turn to burn all of their sorcery speed removal on their own cards

or at least, it's a cute interaction until someone stasis snares your emrakul

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Skyl3lazer posted:

They can't even just loving have it mindslaver, it gives your opp an extra turn.

If it were on-cast mindslaver by itself it would be far more powerful than old emrakul's extra turn alone.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

Probably a Nahiri deck for it, really, it's definitely made to synergize well with her.

Also maybe it'll wind up modern playable in Tron? Considering by that point you'll have at least cracked an egg it's one tron piece beyond Ulamog to almost certainly shut down your opponent

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Also Emrakul is much, much harder to kill than Ulamog in Moderm

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Also Emrakul is much, much harder to kill than Ulamog in Moderm

Yeah but it's going to be much harder to cast for the Modern deck that casts Ulamog.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Probably a Nahiri deck for it, really, it's definitely made to synergize well with her.

Also maybe it'll wind up modern playable in Tron? Considering by that point you'll have at least cracked an egg it's one tron piece beyond Ulamog to almost certainly shut down your opponent

I mean it's just being a big flying body that will get in for a lot of damage but if your opponent is at like 20 it's not affecting the board at all.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

Yeah but it's going to be much harder to cast for the Modern deck that casts Ulamog.

That isn't true at all. It's pretty bad with her actually. Other than just being a big flying body that will get in for a lot of damage.

You discard all of the types, swing for 13, then cast it the next turn with the Mindslaver effect.

I'm failing to see why you'd really want to play a deck with any of the new Titans over just playing Atarka, a card that is actually castable on its own.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 20, 2016

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the reason it's less powerful than old emrakul is that it's reasonably possible to cast this thing in a real game of magic

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

You discard all of the types, swing for 13, then cast it the next turn with the Mindslaver effect.

If you can figure out a deck that is built to take advantage of that and also has game vs aggressive decks then you're probably a better player than I am. Seems like way too many hoops to jump through. Delirium decks are pretty terrible.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the reason it's less powerful than old emrakul is that it's reasonably possible to cast this thing in a real game of magic

I mean it's still a 9 drop even in the best case...

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 20, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

If you can figure out a deck that is built to take advantage of that and also has game vs aggressive decks then you're probably a better player than I am. Seems like way too many hoops to jump through.

9 for a 13/13 flying trample with protection from most removal and Mindrummaging stapled on

Seems good to me

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

mcmagic posted:

There's more than 4 kinds of cards?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

If you can figure out a deck that is built to take advantage of that and also has game vs aggressive decks then you're probably a better player than I am. Seems like way too many hoops to jump through.

I mean, I agree - I doubt there's a way to jump through the hoop of getting 6 types in your yard AND getting to 7 mana without your opponent flooding you with Plants and Knight Allies. As I said, if I'm playing a Standard Nahiri deck, seems better to just play Atarka *shrug* I mean, she's less good in the absolute sense of the cards but you also don't have to jump through a lot of hoops to cast Atarka if your combo-wombo poo poo doesn't happen.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I was hoping we'd get a few more cards today.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

9 for a 13/13 flying trample with protection from most removal and Mindrummaging stapled on

Seems good to me
Yeah I mean it does what a 9 drop should do. When you cast it, you're going to win the vast majority of those games.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It doesn't shuffle your yard back in, so self mill is probably not the way to go filling your yard either. This is a disappointing sequel to the most powerful creature ever printed.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, I agree - I doubt there's a way to jump through the hoop of getting 6 types in your yard AND getting to 7 mana without your opponent flooding you with Plants and Knight Allies. As I said, if I'm playing a Standard Nahiri deck, seems better to just play Atarka *shrug* I mean, she's less good in the absolute sense of the cards but you also don't have to jump through a lot of hoops to cast Atarka if your combo-wombo poo poo doesn't happen.

Atarka rotates out considerably earlier

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
they might have done a little too good of a job making all the 'mrakul art creepy as gently caress

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

So what I'm hearing is that I should invest in Quicken?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Babylon Astronaut posted:

It doesn't shuffle your yard back in, so self mill is probably not the way to go filling your yard either. This is a disappointing sequel to the most powerful creature ever printed.

what? shuffling back in would make self-mill completely worthless, since you'd randomly undo all your progress

are you one of those people who buy into the mill fallacy?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I mean it's not worse than Honored Hierarch or Relic Seeker...

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Emrakul is probably made to be effectively cheaper to cast than the other Titans because she's not in a block dedicated to ramping out big dudes. Because of that she also has to be equivalently weaker. The end.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
I don't think it's that much of a stretch to imagine a naya ramp deck that has nahiri but can also hardcast Emrakul sometimes.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

We're in a standard where people play Ulamog. In more ways than one. I think they can adapt to a card that will cost +/- 1 and screws with the opponent's ability to have a turn to respond to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Atarka rotates out considerably earlier

Sure, but there's big gross creatures in every set, that's just an example.

• Locked thread