Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Captain Invictus posted:

I got my box of stuff from miniature market. I cannot believe the packing they use for the iron ancestor (and other large models I assume). It's a double-thick DVD case with some foam in it to hold pieces that take up like a quarter of the case. Surprised they use such large packaging for such a small kit.

VHS/DVD cases is how their Dreadball stuff used to come in too. Maybe still does. Seems effective to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

Ugleb posted:

This. Mantic are sold on the spectacle of huge table filled with hordes of models but just don't seem willing to accept that while cool it is a decidedly niche audience willing and able to actually play such a beast.

GW love big armies because it (supposedly) sells more models, Mantic being ex-GW may not have cured themselves of that lure. Warpath should be focused on the Firefight level as its bread and butter with the mega game supported as the cherry on top of the dessert. But that means compromising on the ambition driving the vision, and I'm not convinced Ronnie is willing to swallow that reality pill yet.

Absolutely this. Whenever I challenged the decision to go with mass battles/no casualty removal I was given the response of "I guess you just don't like FUN."

I think part of the issue stems from multibasing in KoW. Mantic saw that it was possible in KoW and decided that therefore they were going to do it in Warpath too, regardless of how well it actually works in sci-fi. They've been fixated on multibasing and determined to get it to work that they've never really stepped back to see whether it fits the miniature scale.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I was happy to see that they used proximity to the unit leader in Firefight as a mechanic.

Arvid
Oct 9, 2005
Seems that Mantic has released the FAQ´s for Deadzone with little to no announcement.

Direct links here, you can find it in the free rules section on Mantics website.

https://db.tt/9PwTNqte

https://db.tt/o35qQ9C2

After a quick read through I think it looks good, most of the ambiguities that I found have been cleared up.
Not quite sure how I feel about the fact that vehicles can be pinned, seems a bit weird.

All that´s needed now is some clarification regarding movement straight up/down in towers.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Arvid posted:

Seems that Mantic has released the FAQ´s for Deadzone with little to no announcement.

Direct links here, you can find it in the free rules section on Mantics website.

After a quick read through I think it looks good, most of the ambiguities that I found have been cleared up.
Not quite sure how I feel about the fact that vehicles can be pinned, seems a bit weird.

All that´s needed now is some clarification regarding movement straight up/down in towers.

Lot of good tweaks there - jetbikes can take missile launchers now like in the kit, for example.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

There's a set of Deadzone boot camp rules too, ie free starter rules like for KoW, haven't seen that announced

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arvid posted:

Are these links down for anyone else?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

They're working fine for me, they're dropbox links

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

They're working fine for me, they're dropbox links

ah thanks, my work computer probably doesn't like those. I'll check 'em at home.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
My KoW dwarf starter came in a nice little box. My first mantic order thus far.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The need for exactly five players to play through the first Dungeon Saga campaign is totally killing my group's desire to play, since we're usually four. We're gonna invite someone next time, but they'll be jumping in on scenario 2, and that's going to get worse as we go if our group isn't consistently the same five people.

Has anyone just dived into the full campaign rules with make-your-own-adventurers etc. etc.? Alternatively, have you tried the game with three players controlling four heroes? It's a co-op game for them, but when I suggested it my three regs were unenthusiastic so we wound up playing Dungeon Lords instead.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Dungeon Saga requires 5 people?

Christ. Even Silver Tower uses math based on number of players for mob spawns.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I played Dungeon Saga with two PC players (plus one DM) by having each of us control two characters and it felt fine. It's not like it requires a terrible amount of bookkeeping compared to some systems. But if no one in your group is willing to do that, then c'est la vie.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Say I wanted to play with: http://www.microworldgames.com/collections/6mm-fantasy
Has anyone scaled down KoW to 6mm scale?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

KingFisher posted:

Say I wanted to play with: http://www.microworldgames.com/collections/6mm-fantasy
Has anyone scaled down KoW to 6mm scale?

Someone in this very thread uses, I think, either the lizardmen or the dwarves. You can either play at 6mm and scale 1" to 1cm, or fill normal sized bases with an imposing number of 6mm soldiers.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Line of sight is abstracted so just do this...

NTRabbit posted:

or fill normal sized bases with an imposing number of 6mm soldiers.
and put the masses in Mass Fantasy Battles. :getin:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

fnordcircle posted:

Dungeon Saga requires 5 people?

Christ. Even Silver Tower uses math based on number of players for mob spawns.

No, the game itself doesn't require more than two players. But, the game comes with a handy tutorial set of missions (with excruciatingly bad fluff writing) intended to teach the game, and those assume you're using the four premade PCs and a GM. I don't think it's very straightforward to balance them for fewer PCs, either. My group is savvy enough to just skip those missions most likely, but I feel like that'd be a shame.

Two characters each would work if we had three players, but with four, it'd just be one player doubling up on characters and that feels a little lame. So does sharing one character between the three, and using a GM-PC is a nonstarter since it's an adversarial game.

Once you're past the introductory book of scenarios, the game opens up - if you got the Adventurer's Companion there's rules for making your own PCs, for example. I haven't looked at all the expansion campaigns I got yet, but I believe they're more flexible with the number of players, too.

All that said, it really does seem as though Mantic intended the game for exactly five players for best enjoyment and that's... dumb.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
About to play in what is at least a 12k point game at Origins. Epic.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

NTRabbit posted:

Someone in this very thread uses, I think, either the lizardmen or the dwarves. You can either play at 6mm and scale 1" to 1cm, or fill normal sized bases with an imposing number of 6mm soldiers.

At which point the ranges almost make sense!

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Line of sight is abstracted so just do this...
and put the masses in Mass Fantasy Battles. :getin:

I'd love to do this, but the problem is finding enough types of 6mm troops to differentiate all of the unit types - 6mm normally gives you 2-3 types of infantry, while KoW has many more.
I've been looking at 15mm as well, there you could double up on the models compared to 28mm, and it would look less stupid.

Like the upcoming Warpath, KoW is done at the wrong scale. Mantic seem wedded to 28mm even though it doesn't fit the scale of games they want to do.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Wrong thread. :downs:

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I would kill so badly for a great 6-10mm wargame like KOW that people would actually play in my area.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Pash posted:

I would kill so badly for a great 6-10mm wargame like KOW that people would actually play in my area.

GW are bringing back epic and scaling it right in the middle of your wish list at 8mm. You're welcome!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Pash posted:

Warmaster's a good game. The problem with the smaller scale is that people are afraid to paint anything that small - they don't realize how much easier it is to paint a nice 10mm army versus a 28mm army.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Ugleb posted:

GW are bringing back epic and scaling it right in the middle of your wish list at 8mm. You're welcome!

Except it's Adeptus Titanicus, and it's just gonna be titans the size of Space Marines fighting each other, the only thing different about it from regular 40k will be the scale of the terrain

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The other part of his wish was "that people will actually play," and good luck with that.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Check out these very cool dudes from Eureka miniatures.

http://eurekamin.com.au/index.php?cPath=87_126_838&page=1&sort=3a

Good for I don't know what but they are kewl

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Big Willy Style posted:

I'm the walking egg.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Big Willy Style posted:

I'm building a box of Eureka flying monkeys right now - need to work out what to use them as for KoW.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

muskets posted:

I'm building a box of Eureka flying monkeys right now - need to work out what to use them as for KoW.

Depends what alignment you need them to have for an allied unit - as evil, they easily sub for Scavengers, Gargoyles or Tortured Souls. For neutral, Harpies or Giant Eagles. For good, they're clearly Elohi made from monkeys that touched a strange black obelisk.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Pash posted:

Man same here - 6 or10mm dudes on KoW size bases would be great

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY
I would prefer to play KoW in 6-10mm, but there isn't even a 28mm scene here for any rank and flank game. So I'm looking at the huge task of trying to get one going and then finding people who are interested in the smaller scale. I don't think I would be able to sell people out of the gate with 6-10mm, there seems to be some sort of instinctive rejection of anything not 28mm.

It's just so much cheaper and easier to paint though and the rank and flank games just beg for huge impressive looking armies. I don't get it. Probably from GW shoving the scale down our throats for almost 30 years.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
If I had a million dollars I'd use their (Eureka Miniatures) Pond Wars range to build up some goofy Salamander irregulars.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

I AM CARVALLO posted:

I would prefer to play KoW in 6-10mm, but there isn't even a 28mm scene here for any rank and flank game. So I'm looking at the huge task of trying to get one going and then finding people who are interested in the smaller scale. I don't think I would be able to sell people out of the gate with 6-10mm, there seems to be some sort of instinctive rejection of anything not 28mm.

It's just so much cheaper and easier to paint though and the rank and flank games just beg for huge impressive looking armies. I don't get it. Probably from GW shoving the scale down our throats for almost 30 years.

It's weird to me as well, particularly if you said do 6mm with 1cm = 1 inch and if we love it we can buy some more and rebate and if we don't love it loss contained vs buying a 28mm army.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Why can't you just play whatever scale you want against other people playing whatever scale they want? Number of dudes per base doesn't matter.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

It's weird to me as well, particularly if you said do 6mm with 1cm = 1 inch and if we love it we can buy some more and rebate and if we don't love it loss contained vs buying a 28mm army.

At the same time though there are more interesting rule sets that are written with 6-10mm in mind. Kings of War makes sense at 28mm because I feel that the rules are reflective of the scale even if the scope of the armies isn't. This is basically why I prefer playing at 1500 points. To me, that's the right number of units on the board for 28mm. I can't imagine playing a horde army at 2000 points. That would be a complete nightmare to assemble and paint and then there would be no space at all on the table.

Those photos of the 15,000 point game or whatever are cool from the perspective that so much work went into them, but I wold never, ever want to actually play in that game.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

sassassin posted:

Why can't you just play whatever scale you want against other people playing whatever scale they want? Number of dudes per base doesn't matter.

You can. Some people are totally ok with that, other people get super salty about it and can never provide a genuine reason. Normally those are the sort of people you'd avoid ever playing anything with, but when starting a community, you gotta play with everyone, even that guy.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Atlas Hugged posted:

Those photos of the 15,000 point game or whatever are cool from the perspective that so much work went into them, but I wold never, ever want to actually play in that game.

We actually got it over with in less than 3.5 hours. It was a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

At the same time though there are more interesting rule sets that are written with 6-10mm in mind. Kings of War makes sense at 28mm because I feel that the rules are reflective of the scale even if the scope of the armies isn't. This is basically why I prefer playing at 1500 points. To me, that's the right number of units on the board for 28mm. I can't imagine playing a horde army at 2000 points. That would be a complete nightmare to assemble and paint and then there would be no space at all on the table.

Yeah the only 6mm game I've actually found people to play f2f was HoTT which did not grab me for whatever reason.

That was years ago and I've never played stuff like pride of lions or w/e