Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I might be the only person on the planet who doesn't mind Shoutitis very much. Think it only bugs me on Nagas and Formicids, since they have to be a lot more concerning with how much attention they get and when.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Getting bad mutations yourself through rolling the dice compared to a creature with malmutate are different and I am more willing to accept the pain brought on if it self inflicted. Other then MP Wands and Pake. But I've complained enough recently about that.

I really don't have a major problem with malmutate as it stands though; it is frustrating, not broken.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Darox posted:

I don't know about finale. The piety requirement makes it difficult to splat the dangerous things and killing one enemy in the situations where you do have the piety is less important, but I also have yet to fight any demon lords with Uska.

Grand finale works on literally anything, demon lords included. It's really really strong. Uskayaw is probably too good, but I really don't know what should be nerfed. I'm a nerf advocate though and bitched about animate skeleton being too strong until the change where your undead minions time out (it's still too good for 1 mp but at least it feels a little more like a level 1 spell now).

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

BeyondRad posted:

Grand finale works on literally anything, demon lords included. It's really really strong. Uskayaw is probably too good, but I really don't know what should be nerfed. I'm a nerf advocate though and bitched about animate skeleton being too strong until the change where your undead minions time out (it's still too good for 1 mp but at least it feels a little more like a level 1 spell now).

I know it instagibs them regardless (and that seems way too good by itself) but I was more wondering about getting the piety to actually use it. If you fight them alone it seems like you'd have already done most of the work killing them before you can use it, and fighting them alongside their fiend bodyguards seems like a bad idea generally.

e: Unrelated, but thanks to the new messages clarifying how silence and antimagic affect monster abilities (A Good Change) I noticed that Mennas cannot cast while silenced, and I think he should be allowed to. Daevas can, Angels can, and it'd be lore appropriate. Also it'd make him even more of a jerk if he healed himself while silencing, so it's a win/win all round.

Darox fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 20, 2016

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Darox posted:

I know it instagibs them regardless (and that seems way too good by itself) but I was more wondering about getting the piety to actually use it. If you fight them alone it seems like you'd have already done most of the work killing them before you can use it, and fighting them alongside their fiend bodyguards seems like a bad idea generally.

By that point you're murdering weaker enemies super quick, so as long as the pan lord/oof/hell lord/whatever isn't the closest thing to you, you build up the piety really quick, than blow up the dangerous enemy in the back line, than repeat. The trick is to just keep going instead of backing to rest.you don't fight anything alone, thatd be counter-productive. Just keep pushing forward, the mass paralysis and damage link is too strong in itself, deleting an enemy is just icing on the cake at that point. Maybe turn mass paralysis to mass slow and confuse or something, idk

E: and if the dangerous enemy is in front, line dance takes like one swing on an enemy to become available.

Mortimer Knag fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 20, 2016

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Darox posted:

e: Unrelated, but thanks to the new messages clarifying how silence and antimagic affect monster abilities (A Good Change) I noticed that Mennas cannot cast while silenced, and I think he should be allowed to. Daevas can, Angels can, and it'd be lore appropriate. Also it'd make him even more of a jerk if he healed himself while silencing, so it's a win/win all round.
No one will be able to convince me that Mennas ain't a true angel, just some rear end in a top hat priest missing his tongue who cosplays as one.

(also holy hell, don't make one of the scariest uniques stronger)

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Better Mennas than Mara. He's easier to avoid than other uniques thanks to his halo anyway.

Another thing that change made me learn is that greater mummies don't use invocations, they cast spells. I assumed they were the same as mummy priests.
Other assumptions I made for a long time: Hell Hounds don't actually have any rN, Lindwurms don't have any rF, Nikola doesn't have any rElec.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Darox posted:

Other assumptions I made for a long time: Hell Hounds don't actually have any rN, Lindwurms don't have any rF, Nikola doesn't have any rElec.

Quite a shocking discovery, I'd say.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I might be in a minority but I don't think Uskayaw is overpowered. Line Pass was changed to be guaranteed paralyse and it was a good change because honestly otherwise the ability is just bad because you're usually getting yourself into a worse position. As it is, with zero invocations the duration is only 1 turn or something super short like that anyway. Solo is the most attractive part about the whole god. If it was removed or nerfed I don't think it would be worth it at all to worship Uskayaw because honestly the other abilities are not that good by themselves. Grand Final is just a cherry on top, it won't help you win any fights but it's a really loving cool finisher.

Uskayaw also doesn't provide any long-term benefits that might shape your game or help your character like Trog. Okawaru or Vehumet who will not only provide you with abilities but are also guaranteed to give you stuff.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

quote:

34278 jerkstore the Alchemist (level 13, -10/130 HPs)
Began as a Merfolk Gladiator on June 20, 2016.
Was the Champion of Cheibriados.
Blown up by someoneawful's ghost (53 damage)
... with an orb of destruction
... on level 6 of the Lair of Beasts.
The game lasted 00:29:01 (13309 turns).

Thanks Someone Awful. That was the nastiest ghost I've ever encountered. Opens with fireballs and orbs of destruction. If I had trained invo at all, I would've been able to step from time but I completely forgot.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I'd rather Uska not get nerfed, but instead put into the hall of blades, somewhat similar to Jiyva.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Akett posted:

I'd rather Uska not get nerfed, but instead put into the hall of blades, somewhat similar to Jiyva.

He's not a big help early, though. I know Every time I tried him I killed my guy trying to get piety. You don't do enough damage early on for him to be useful

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I think malmutate would be more fun if it could give good mutations as well, although I do accept that risks players dancing in front of mutators. But if they like doing that, whatever.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It can, incredibly rarely.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think it's like 10% chance or so, so not super rare, but basically never worth dancing in front of mutators.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

If cacodemons and neqoxecs didn't have Malmutate (or at least a weaker version of it like contaminating you or a temp version), then I probably wouldn't care about it existing as is.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I'm doing extended right now on a TeGl of Kiku that still hasn't quite got necromutation up and running. I just been spamming butterflys at cacodemons and neqoxecs so they have to close the gap and then I can beat them to death. Been working fine, only been mutated a few times so far.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Floodkiller posted:

If cacodemons and neqoxecs didn't have Malmutate (or at least a weaker version of it like contaminating you or a temp version), then I probably wouldn't care about it existing as is.

I think it's really just neqoxecs that bother me. They're so common, and mutations are more annoying than dangerous imo. And neqoxecs fill the same role as shining eyes as far as I can tell. Cacodemons, shining eyes, and pan lords are rarer and/or stronger enough that I think the annoyance is more justified.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

jerkstoresup posted:

Thanks Someone Awful. That was the nastiest ghost I've ever encountered. Opens with fireballs and orbs of destruction. If I had trained invo at all, I would've been able to step from time but I completely forgot.

I got fireballed by a player ghost the turn it entered LOS once, then fireballs again for the kill. It was on like, D5. It was ages ago but I still vividly remember it.

It was probably LogicNinja.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Spell player ghosts can be absurdly nasty because they can cast spells that would normally have a huge failure rating and be impossible to use.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
currently there's a ((50 - fail rate)/50)^2 chance for a ghost to keep any given spell. that means they won't get anything at >= 50% fail, and anything above 15% fail chance is unlikely.

of course, if they do get fireball or whatever, they'll spam it quite happily

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
D:3 orc warrior. The heck.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Dee Ehm posted:

I got fireballed by a player ghost the turn it entered LOS once, then fireballs again for the kill. It was on like, D5. It was ages ago but I still vividly remember it.

It was probably LogicNinja.

Probably!

I wish it had been lightning bolt, so I could say "guilty as *sunglasses* CHARGED"

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Very specific question: as Octopode that just got statue form online, when will unarmed be stronger than a +7 electric whip? I am at like 9-10 unarmed, 0 fighting, base dex and str

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

jerkstoresup posted:

the worst part is I lost that character to a frickin' Draconian ghost so this is basically a chain of crappy ghost deaths now :(

seriously gently caress draconian ghosts though, if you play a draconian and get high enough to get a color you drat well better win that character :argh:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Octopode win done!
code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.19-a0-726-g4af737f (webtiles) character file.

1700024 Shard1697 the Grand Master (level 27, 204/204 HPs)
             Began as an Octopode Fire Elementalist on June 21, 2016.
             Was the Champion of Ashenzari.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes!

The game lasted 02:57:05 (65836 turns).

Shard1697 the Grand Master (OpFE)                  Turns: 65836, Time: 02:57:06

Health: 204/204    AC:  3    Str:  6      XL:     27
Magic:  46/46      EV: 38    Int: 33 (34) God:    Ashenzari [******]
Gold:   2175       SH: 18    Dex: 24      Spells: 8 memorised, 13 levels left

rFire  + . .      SeeInvis +      - Unarmed
rCold  + . .      Gourm    .    K - +4 shield (curse)
rNeg   . . .      Faith    .    N - +2 hat {SInv} (curse)
rPois  .          Spirit   +    i - amulet of Amorality {Spirit *Drain rElec Int+9 Slay+2} (curse)
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    Y - ring of stealth (curse)
rCorr  +          Reflect  .    B - +4 ring of evasion (curse)
SustAt +          Harm     .    U - ring of protection from fire (curse)
MR     ++...      Clarity  +    C - ring of sustain attributes (curse)
Stlth  +++.......               f - ring of magical power (curse)
                                o - ring of Udiak {rCorr rElec rC+ Str-2 Int+3} (curse)
                                V - +4 ring of dexterity (curse)
                                A - ring of stealth (curse)

@: repel missiles, very resistant to hostile enchantments, fairly stealthy
A: almost no armour, amphibious, 8 rings, constrict 8, camouflage 1, gelatinous
body 1
a: Curse Item, Scrying, Transfer Knowledge, Renounce Religion
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: decaying, slimy, gossamer
Started as FE, used fire book to get to about lair, found statue form, used Ash's skill boosts to get statue form online faster than normal+reallocate all my fire/conjurations skill into unarmed/dodging/fighting, and went full statue octopus. Statue form is crazy good, to be honest. The other transmutations feel so much worse.
I got abyssed 6 times this game, 5 of those by Louise repeatedly because I didn't really give enough of a poo poo to avoid her and had no MR gear. Didn't care because I could just smush things in abyss with impunity until I got out.

Pictured: optimal play

I am now a greatplayer! :toot: Might make an alt account to see how good I can keep my winrate now that I have much more experience from when I started back in 0.13, when I won't have my hundreds of early game when I didn't know anything or care much about winning weighing me down...

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

PF I think you fed me some misinformation. I was doing slime and met a shining eye so I netted it, but it mutated me the turn the net hit it, then it mutated me again while killing it. It was stuck in the net the entire time, but apparently that doesn't slow down the gaze.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm fairly positive monsters will cast spells while in nets, yeah. I didn't think of it before but I have absolutely been killed by earlygame uniques like sigmund/grinder(or just orc wizards) casting spells at me once I threw a net on them

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

confirming that i have been hit by spells/smite/etc by netted monsters in the past.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Darox posted:

PF I think you fed me some misinformation. I was doing slime and met a shining eye so I netted it, but it mutated me the turn the net hit it, then it mutated me again while killing it. It was stuck in the net the entire time, but apparently that doesn't slow down the gaze.

IronicDongz posted:

I'm fairly positive monsters will cast spells while in nets, yeah. I didn't think of it before but I have absolutely been killed by earlygame uniques like sigmund/grinder(or just orc wizards) casting spells at me once I threw a net on them

Someone Awful! posted:

confirming that i have been hit by spells/smite/etc by netted monsters in the past.
Bug, or feature?

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
If anything it'd be weird/spoilery if net prevented enemy spells since you can cast spells yourself AFAIK.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Just found the sword of the Doom Knight on a FoFi^O. Guess I'm going LBs.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 21, 2016

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Never ever step off the god drat stairs in Tomb 3. :bang:
code:
949266 worldfamousw the Lord of Darkness (level 27, -2/169 HPs)
             Began as a Tengu Gladiator on June 20, 2016.
             Was the Champion of Kikubaaqudgha.
             Slain by a death scarab (17 damage)
             ... summoned by a greater mummy
             ... on level 3 of the Tomb of the Ancients on June 21, 2016.
             The game lasted 08:09:19 (94036 turns).
I'm never going to 15 Rune Kiku and I'm somewhat tired of doing it the same way (Vehumet or Trog/Oka to TSO). Any suggestions on another god to attempt a full clear?

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 21, 2016

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Makhleb. Qazlal. Ashenzari. Cheibriados. *continues through the alphabet of gods*

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Xom. 15-Rune a KoCK. :unsmigghh:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

World Famous W posted:

Never ever step off the god drat stairs in Tomb 3. :bang:
code:
949266 worldfamousw the Lord of Darkness (level 27, -2/169 HPs)
             Began as a Tengu Gladiator on June 20, 2016.
             Was the Champion of Kikubaaqudgha.
             Slain by a death scarab (17 damage)
             ... summoned by a greater mummy
             ... on level 3 of the Tomb of the Ancients on June 21, 2016.
             The game lasted 08:09:19 (94036 turns).
I'm never going to 15 Rune Kiku and I'm somewhat tired of doing it the same way (Vehumet or Trog/Oka to TSO). Any suggestions on another god to attempt a full clear?

Makhleb is strong as always no matter what part of the game you are in. A swap to Zin from any god where you invest in Invo can be appealing for the gently caress malmutate/salt/Sanctuary angle that comes online almost as soon as you switch with some gold donations. More unique choices are Qazlal for just nuking everything in sight when you can't/don't want to deal with it (my drowned demonspawn this previous tournament made it without being malmutated through Pan by using Disaster Area every time a malmutator had LoS) or Jiyva if you want to gamble on an accessible altar. Lugonu can also be good for Corrupt and escaping to the Abyss, as well as banishing tormentors/hellions.

Edit: You could also try sticking with Oka, Finesse is still really good.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 21, 2016

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
If you want easy fun times, try a Qazlal Ogre anything.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Haha, I worded that badly. I was meaning more someone tell me what to play next not what can work.

jon joe posted:

If you want easy fun times, try a Qazlal Ogre anything.
Think I'm going to go with this though. Ain't played Qazlal in awhile and I do like me ogres.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

IronicDongz posted:

Statue form is crazy good, to be honest. The other transmutations feel so much worse.

I'm probably the only person to ever think this, but I like dragon form better than statue form. No slow effect means you hit faster, cast, quaff, read, etc. faster, and you do more damage per hit. Yes, your defenses are miserable, though ozo's can help to some extent with that, but if you play to your strengths, it doesn't matter that you have no defense when you have a very reasonable chance to kill even orbs of fire in one hit. The only transmutations character who made it off the ground that I've lost in the past couple years died on V:5 and I'm convinced the reason is that I thought statue form would be safer than dragon form.

The Good Players in Tavern seem to think blade hands is best, but blade hands is the least cool and most boring endgame worthy transmutation, so they're wrong by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Poison Mushroom posted:

Bug, or feature?

nah, i'm just apparently full of poo poo. sorry! if only i had some kind of god of memory to help me prevent making these sorts of mistakes in future...

• Locked thread