Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Most not Chinese looking Chinese spy I ever met

You ever play mgs3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

You ever play mgs3?

I was a teenager playing MGS3 and I could of not understood what the gently caress was happening at the end. Thank god for new versions of it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

C.R.E.A.M.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

CommieGIR posted:

Meh, Civilian nuclear is seeing a slight revival. TVA just completed Reactor 2 for Watts Bar, and China is blazing trails with nuclear reactors, Germany is importing a ton of power from France, who is 85% nuclear, and Britain is in talks for new plants.

For what its worth too, the nuclear industry is in a slight panic as a lot of the engineers are starting to retire or die, and they don't have enough students coming out to keep up demand yet.

I guess I should have constrained the question to the US nuclear industry. Every few months sees announcements of another premature plant shutdown it seems. I was one signature away from jumping into that industry but decided against it at the last minute. A ton of my friends have been laid off since then.

Off the top of my head, these plants are shutting down: Kewaunee, VT Yankee, Clinton, Crystal River, SONGs, Fitzpatrick, Ft Calhoun, Pilgrim, probably Ginna soon, probably TMI soon, and I know there are others..

Each one of those employs between 600 and 1200 people. I can't imagine that there's a panic in the US anymore for replacing people since so many people are looking for work.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
I just prevented a girl from joining as a nuke. She was about to sign. I think I did my good deed for a day. I also saw a recruiter at the nerd convention I was at. I have solved the DLI CTx and Nuke school mystery.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

Get the money. Dolla Dolla bill ya'll.

World's oldest LT (non ldo) recognizes world's oldest boot

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I'm so loving envious of poopkitty. I'll do one more look at senior and then I'm dropping papers in the cherry spot where they have to extend me at shore and I ride it out. I feel this is a good plan.... Even if I pick up senior I'm gonna drop them papers anyways.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

KetTarma posted:

I guess I should have constrained the question to the US nuclear industry. Every few months sees announcements of another premature plant shutdown it seems. I was one signature away from jumping into that industry but decided against it at the last minute. A ton of my friends have been laid off since then.

Off the top of my head, these plants are shutting down: Kewaunee, VT Yankee, Clinton, Crystal River, SONGs, Fitzpatrick, Ft Calhoun, Pilgrim, probably Ginna soon, probably TMI soon, and I know there are others..

Each one of those employs between 600 and 1200 people. I can't imagine that there's a panic in the US anymore for replacing people since so many people are looking for work.

Most of the people at those plants are going to get early retirement.

DoE just announced, however, its increasing funding in nuclear expansion.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
http://www.navytimes.com/story/military/2016/06/19/navy-forges-ahead-plan-hire-civilians-chief-captain/85877884/

Hilarious

Chiefs mess will meltdown

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I'm assuming that, like JAG and medical corps, they'll have an obvious identifier so that everyone knows not to take them seriously.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

someone in the Chiefs mess posted:

"Creating push button CPOs is ridiculous,” the ATC wrote of Burke's statement. “He states that he is, ‘seeking the authority to bring somebody in at the E-7 level.'"

“I find the choice of words interesting — notice that he doesn't say that they want to bring someone in at the CPO level. There's only one entity that selects, tests and accepts Chief Petty Officers. That's the United States Navy Chief Petty Officers Mess. Anything else is an E-7.

Already started :chiefsay:

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
"The unidentified ATC went on to say that the time-honored traditions of dick-sucking and back-stabbing performed by E-6 personnel will suffer under a policy allowing actual knowledge, training, or ability to ascend into the Chief's mess."

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm assuming that, like JAG and medical corps, they'll have an obvious identifier so that everyone knows not to take them seriously.

I never did.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

King of Bees posted:

I'm so loving envious of poopkitty. . . . I'm dropping papers in the cherry spot where they have to extend me at shore and I ride it out. I feel this is a good plan....

'Tis an excellent plan. I did just that. I left at 20 years 10 days. :feelsgood: :fsmug:

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

Tree Fort 2: The one not full of idiots.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Laranzu posted:

Tree Fort 2: The one not full of idiots.

Now with less goats!

Edit: Real talk. Does any of the other branches give a poo poo about E-7 besides Navy and Marines?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
At that point in the AF they're mostly admin paperpushers and uniform reg nazis, little more. The E-X vs rankname thing doesn't seem as prevalent. I've heard a few times about guys being an E-9 vs a Chief (Chief Master Sergeant) but rarely. Certainly less of an official old boys club, and not as stuck on hanging with your own rank. Junior enlisted stick together, NCOs stick together, SNCOs stick together.

At E-7, it seems there are two camps: one is bummed because they don't get to do the job they joined to do (turn wrenches, etc); the other is stoked because they have broader authority to lord over the peons.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Pretty much the only division chiefs on my boat who ever stood watch in their own department or did any sort of work fixing things was sonar and the nukes.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Hang all Khakis

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Hang all Khakis

Then who will take credit for all the work I did?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Null Integer posted:

Then who will take credit for all the work I did?

Contractors and Congress, probably

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Looks like the current events/gun chat thread got gassed. Must be a slow news day.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
angry gunchat, angry gunchat never changes

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It was bound to happen, whether it turned angry or not.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

ded posted:

angry gunchat, angry gunchat never changes

Godholio posted:

It was bound to happen, whether it turned angry or not.

Gunchat, abortions, and politics. Somethings just aren't worth it.

Grumpicat
May 27, 2005
Mood: Angsty
Hello friends. Looking for advice here.

I'm 30, enlisted 4 years ago with a BA in International Studies. I have 1 year left on my contract, no particular career goals except buy a bunch of rental properties or start a random business or something. I would also like to live in Japan for a couple years to get in touch with my roots and stuff.

My Navy exit plan changes by the day. I was looking at ways to transition into computer science or some type of engineering and it seems like a lot of schools don't accept post-bacs and transitioning from international relations to a MS also seems like a pain in the rear end. My family also lives in the San Francisco Bay Area so another option is doing some low tier program in San Francisco (MBA?) and picking up that sweet $4100 E-5 BAH from the GI Bill. I could also try to use the GI bill in Japan but I would be poor as fk and the English language programs don't seem very good. I'm also thinking about re-enlisting for two years if I can get orders to Japan just because living in Japan is kind of on my bucket list. I just can't decide what to do. Right now I'm a AT2 working on P-3s and it's not bad at all. What do you guys think?

Grumpicat fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 22, 2016

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Being enlisted in Japan is a really cool thing right now.

Good job enlisting with a degree, I'm sure it gave you a leg up!

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Please reenlist for Japan orders, our Navy thread retention numbers are in the shitter. Take one for the team.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Grumpicat posted:

Hello friends. Looking for advice here.

I'm 30, enlisted 4 years ago with a BA in International Studies. I have 1 year left on my contract, no particular career goals except buy a bunch of rental properties or start a random business or something. I would also like to live in Japan for a couple years to get in touch with my roots and stuff.

My Navy exit plan changes by the day. I was looking at ways to transition into computer science or some type of engineering and it seems like a lot of schools don't accept post-bacs and transitioning from international relations to a MS also seems like a pain in the rear end. My family also lives in the San Francisco Bay Area so another option is doing some low tier program in San Francisco (MBA?) and picking up that sweet $4100 E-5 BAH from the GI Bill. I could also try to use the GI bill in Japan but I would be poor as fk and the English language programs don't seem very good. I'm also thinking about re-enlisting for two years if I can get orders to Japan just because living in Japan is kind of on my bucket list. I just can't decide what to do. Right now I'm a AT2 working on P-3s and it's not bad at all. What do you guys think?

First thing first, right now is not great to go to japan unless you are a glutton for punishment, if that interests you keep reading. Also if you move to japan as a family, you will be living in base housing, barring some really weird and improbable poo poo that forces the housing office to allow you to seek a place to live in town.

If you get Japan orders for P-3s, you'll be going to either Misawa or Kadena as part of CTF-72, probably Kadena. I don't know exactly how the detachments in Misawa and Kadena handle liberty and poo poo exactly, especially with you being closer to the pointy end instead of being in a cushy headquarters job like I was, but I can tell you that working for 72 owned bones at least at headquarters in Atsugi.

Kadena is on the island of Okinawa, which as you have heard probably in the news, is a wonderful place where all the locals love you. Misawa is in the middle of nowhere in Aomori Prefecture on the northern end of Honshu, the biggest thing out there is there's a lot of farmers and poo poo.

Weather wise you will either roast to death in tropical heat on Okinawa, or you will freeze your balls off in Misawa during the winter. Mainland liberty is usually pretty relaxed, but right now if you're E5 and below you have a 1 am curfew, with liberty buddy required after 2000 (wife is an acceptable liberty buddy), and you must submit a liberty plan daily until HHQ realizes that reading and personally approving hundreds of liberty chits every day takes a lot of time out of COs days, and rolls back the requirement to just weekend chits. Misawa is much closer to Tokyo if that is a place you want to check out, it's easily reachable for a weekend trip or leave via a domestic flight or a shinkansen from there.

I'm not even going to talk about liberty on Okinawa, because right now it's nonexistent. The Japanese on the mainland don't really give two fucks about what happens on Okinawa to Okinawans, but the last couple incidents down there have been extremely high visibility (murder, dui with injury to a Japanese national), so we're not doing too hot right now.

Alcohol is banned for military on Okinawa probably forever at this point, and when I left mainland japan a week and a half ago, we were allowed to drink on base, but you had to blow a 0.00 before you could go out in town on liberty, and they will breathalyze you when you show up in the morning if you live in town.

In 6 months to a year, as long as there are no more murders or rapes of Japanese people, liberty and relations with the locals will actually be in a good spot, right now though I wouldn't go to japan as mil unless you were looking for way to end your career.

Japan is a loving top notch destination with an awesome culture and tons of history if you are not in the military though, I'd advise saving money up and just going there as a civilian to be honest.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 22, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Using your GI Bill to get a degree you don't want just so you can get the BAH is probably the most loving enlisted thing I've ever heard.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Also congrats on getting a useless baccalaureate degree, it's up there with underwater basket weaving and getting a degree in rhetoric.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Godholio posted:

Using your GI Bill to get a degree you don't want just so you can get the BAH is probably the most loving enlisted thing I've ever heard.

To be fair it's San Fran BAH and not like North Dakota or some poo poo

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

And $50k or more in wasted tuition. File for unemployment.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

In 6 months to a year, as long as there are no more murders or rapes of Japanese people

Nope!

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

Godholio posted:

And $50k or more in wasted tuition. File for unemployment.

Depending on your state, you can draw unemployment and GI Bill at the same time! Worked for me in Washington, just had to do some extra "training benefits" paperwork.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
For those considering orders to Japan, we are now banned from celebrating the 4th of July. Do with that information what you will.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Godholio posted:

Yeah. "Stay in" is rarely a good option but burning FREE COLLEGE for a degree you don't really want that won't actually help you in whatever you eventually choose to do is a really bad option.

e: I went from having a BA in English to getting an MS in geology. It took me a couple extra semesters to catch up on core courses but I also took a couple math courses (Calc III and linear algebra) at community college and used that as evidence of my seriousness to sweet talk the admissions people and my eventual advisor into taking me on.

Stultus Maximus fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 22, 2016

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ManMythLegend posted:

For those considering orders to Japan, we are now banned from celebrating the 4th of July. Do with that information what you will.

Short sell tiny American flag manufacturer stock. I wonder if any of our troubles stem from the fact that we treat all of Japan as if it were a single contiguous region.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

e: I went from having a BA in English to getting an MS in geology. It took me a couple extra semesters to catch up on core courses but I also took a couple math courses (Calc III and linear algebra) at community college and used that as evidence of my seriousness to sweet talk the admissions people and my eventual advisor into taking me on.

This is a good point. If you want a degree in CS, milk TA and take some maths at the community college (I think they offer up to Calc II at the SVC campus in Oak Harbor) and whatever programming courses you can get and use that to knock out core deficiencies for a MS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ManMythLegend posted:

First thing my phone wanted me to type was lmao so I'm gonna go with it.

Lmao

• Locked thread