Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

i'm gonna unretard the baby!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I'm the baby!! Gotta mod me!!

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Could someone go back and do some reposts of all the goons defending the London office and pictures of some loving dog in a box and sleeping cutely on the floor and poo poo, and ranting and raving at anyone who suggested that perhaps they should be more focused on creating a game than buying dogs and ping pong tables?

Because I'm too lazy to do it, but want to mock those people all the same.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

literally every drop of that would be fine if they hadn't also ripped the game to shreds

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

LordSaturn posted:

literally every drop of that would be fine if they hadn't also ripped the game to shreds

It's the naive, young goon lack of awareness that while correlation is not causation, there often is a very real connection between what seems to be an excessive focus on loving around and things not related to the game and, well, not actually producing a game.

At least I think it is a young goon thing. I see it most often in idealistic young goons, who also don't understand why they can't work from home and if they can get all their work done in an hour per week they should get a full salary because all of these ideas of showing up for work and working hard are outdated and the older man just does not understand it.

Basically, I'm the older detective in a cop drama. I'm tired, and I've seen this poo poo before.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

SlyFrog posted:

Basically, I'm the older detective in a cop drama. I'm tired, and I've seen this poo poo before.

So, you're the Murtaugh to the forums' Riggs?

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

SlyFrog posted:

It's the naive, young goon lack of awareness that while correlation is not causation, there often is a very real connection between what seems to be an excessive focus on loving around and things not related to the game and, well, not actually producing a game.

At least I think it is a young goon thing. I see it most often in idealistic young goons, who also don't understand why they can't work from home and if they can get all their work done in an hour per week they should get a full salary because all of these ideas of showing up for work and working hard are outdated and the older man just does not understand it.

source you quotes

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, you're the Murtaugh to the forums' Riggs?

Yes. Also, my legs have fallen asleep on a toilet.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
SlyFrog gonna get shot two days before retirement.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

SlyFrog posted:

this is a loving long wire to draw from starbound being a lovely game

how about "Tiy is loving dumb when it comes to making a fun game, but real smart in terms of organizing reasonable people into a system for making GBS threads all over a promising new game so hard that it damages the genre"

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

This game is as gay as I am.

Just not in the good way.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

wah wah wahhh let me tell you about how these loving youths are bad

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

im young goon

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SlyFrog posted:

go to sleep you old coot

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

BillmasterCozb posted:

go to sleep you old coot

I sleep a lot. I also forget where my car keys are. :(

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
office puppies are shown to increase employee morale smart move

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

SlyFrog posted:

Could someone go back and do some reposts of all the goons defending the London office and pictures of some loving dog in a box and sleeping cutely on the floor and poo poo, and ranting and raving at anyone who suggested that perhaps they should be more focused on creating a game than buying dogs and ping pong tables?

right here, my man

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

See, people keep mentioning this Dark Souls connection.

This is one of the furthest games from Dark Souls, except for maybe Mappy. What the hell?

Short version, Tiy wants Starbound to be a hard game like Souls/Castlevania, so makes things harder on the player because thats what those games do, right? The thing is that they don't seem to get those are very tightly controlled games with a focus on level design, which does not work well in a randomly generated game.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ashsaber posted:

Short version, Tiy wants Starbound to be a hard game like Souls/Castlevania, so makes things harder on the player because thats what those games do, right? The thing is that they don't seem to get those are very tightly controlled games with a focus on level design, which does not work well in a randomly generated game.
Didn't he also defend the player durability being "you die in about 3 hits" being the best you can hope for if you're not dealing with old obsolete stuff by comparing starbound to Symphony of the Night?

You know a game not exactly known for it being super easy to die in?

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!
You know, I didn't think the game was all that bad before. Bland, maybe, but kinda neat if you played it in multiplayer. I don't ask for much I guess?

But after reading those posts by Rho and finding out all the awful stuff going on beneath the surface, I almost feel dirty buying the game long ago :stare: truly a horror story of game development.

Also checking out the nightly build who would ever think the new hotbar idea is a good one.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

OrangeSoda posted:

Also checking out the nightly build who would ever think the new hotbar idea is a good one.
Oh god what did they do now.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

OrangeSoda posted:

But after reading those posts by Rho and finding out all the awful stuff going on beneath the surface, I almost feel dirty buying the game long ago :stare: truly a horror story of game development.

Game development is horror :ssh:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It's true, I'm solo developing a game and I already hate everyone on the team

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

SlyFrog posted:

I mean, it's not like the problem with Starbound is lack of time or funds...

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
shitpost or no, we were loving spergy nerds back then and he is right.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

were???

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Babe Magnet posted:

It's true, I'm solo developing a game and I already hate everyone on the team

I also hate everyone on your team

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'll pass the feedback along

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ahundredbux posted:

I'm the baby!! Gotta mod me!!

Reason posted:

office puppies are shown to increase employee morale smart move

what happens to office morale when office puppies become office dogs, and too big and untrained to keep around, so they become happy farm dogs, where they play all day and are never hungry

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 20, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

See, people keep mentioning this Dark Souls connection.

This is one of the furthest games from Dark Souls, except for maybe Mappy. What the hell?

It's more like they, and their more vocal fans saying stuff along the lines of "Anything tedious or poorly balanced = Darksouls,: and you're just a casual for wanting a sandbox game that's FUN"

Slower backwards walking? :darksouls:

Awkward combat where getting hit even once by the enemy is often vastly worse than hitting them, even with even tier equipment? :darksouls:

Health recovery being an absolute bitch and slog? :darksouls:

Terrible player guns and terrible energy? :darksouls:

Shields now breaking to a stiff breeze instead of letting you tank an NPC's infinite ammo uzi? :darksouls:

Non combat related things like how expensive it is to replicate furniture that has no use except as decoration? :darksouls:

See also, the references to Symphony of the Night by Tiy. Despite, you know, the old by now joke that "Wasn't moving backwards FAST in SotN?"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Section Z posted:

It's more like they, and their more vocal fans saying stuff along the lines of "Anything tedious or poorly balanced = Darksouls,: and you're just a casual for wanting a sandbox game that's FUN"

Slower backwards walking? :darksouls:

Awkward combat where getting hit even once by the enemy is often vastly worse than hitting them, even with even tier equipment? :darksouls:

Health recovery being an absolute bitch and slog? :darksouls:

Terrible player guns and terrible energy? :darksouls:

Shields now breaking to a stiff breeze instead of letting you tank an NPC's infinite ammo uzi? :darksouls:

Non combat related things like how expensive it is to replicate furniture that has no use except as decoration? :darksouls:

See also, the references to Symphony of the Night by Tiy. Despite, you know, the old by now joke that "Wasn't moving backwards FAST in SotN?"

This is all so terrible. Good god.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
read the last thirty-forty pages

thread was really interesting when the former developers were posting. The conversation with stereotypical gamer bro Tiy was the damndest thing.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I went back in and 'beat' Planet Centauri, and it is a better starbound than Starbound could ever hope to be, except no travel between worlds. It also copies some stuff from Dark Souls, but only the fun stuff. You get souls from mobs and use them to buy upgrades and open rare loot chests and you lose a percentage on death. You can craft soul gems and capture mobs and summon them to be your allies. You can craft a special table that lets you transform into mobs and kill other mobs to transform into higher tier mobs. You can dig straight down and open endgame chests with a bunch of souls for endgame materials. And I think it's being created by one guy. Yeah, it copies a lot of stuff from starbound but it does it better. The crafting interface needs work though.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I feel like the bottom line is just that Tiy never knew what the game was actually supposed to be. Everything else spirals off of that.
Because there was never a singular, focused concept of what it should be about and what areas needed to be built up, you get all kinds of scattered, unfinished, unintuitive ideas, half-finished implementations that make it clear something was supposed to happen but it just never did, and all these new tangents the game's constantly going off on like a distracted sightseer. It all comes most painfully obvious every time there's an update that fixes one thing (I'll be the first to admit, combat actually feels a lot more fun than it did at release) and then throws in a dozen more things nobody cares about or wants. And the few interesting things it tries, it immediately forgets about. Remember that NPC housing system? Well it's sort of in and it sort of works? Okay, now let's go back to how we can gate missions.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!

Zereth posted:

Oh god what did they do now.

You know how the old hotbar worked and was like any other hotbar?

Well, no more of THAT poo poo! Instead of a hotbar you get a bunch of left and right hand slots you can switch between. Only, anything that needs two hands now takes up two slots. Plus half the time you forget which thing is which so you end up blowing a healing item when you wanna fire your gun.

Oh and there's no simple stuff like dragging items to and from your quickbar anymore, oh no no no. Now, you have to right click to completely "unlink" the item from the bar and then search for the item you wanna replace it with in your inventory, drag it there and hope it links.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

OrangeSoda posted:

You know how the old hotbar worked and was like any other hotbar?

Well, no more of THAT poo poo! Instead of a hotbar you get a bunch of left and right hand slots you can switch between. Only, anything that needs two hands now takes up two slots. Plus half the time you forget which thing is which so you end up blowing a healing item when you wanna fire your gun.

Oh and there's no simple stuff like dragging items to and from your quickbar anymore, oh no no no. Now, you have to right click to completely "unlink" the item from the bar and then search for the item you wanna replace it with in your inventory, drag it there and hope it links.

I'm sure plenty of people in the official comments love it, as usual :downs:

But yes, when you run out of ways to fiddle with the gameplay? Make the interface harder-I mean, :airquote: Immersive

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Because I hate myself, I launched the nightly and what the flying gently caress is this? You can't even do anything, you're stuck on the stupid ship and the SAIL AI scrolls text slower than a slug can crawl. How did they gently caress it up this badly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm just never installing this game again.

• Locked thread