Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Slightly faster, yes, but after I was killed through the fog wall by a Lothric Knight that chased me all the way to the boss, I'm not sure it's worth it.

...It is total bullshit that enemies can murder you through the boss fog wall, right? That's not just me?

Been in the series since DS1 at least and probably Demons Souls, though I can't remember it ever happening to me. Just like...walk towards the boss though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

skasion posted:

Just like...walk towards the boss though
I don't want to, they're scary :(

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
The head's okay if a little thin, but the dragon torso stone looks loving ugly and emaciated. From the neck down you just look like a hyper-hollow with a stubby tail, and you can't get rid of it without dying.

The only use I ever got out of the stone was as a replacement kick because I have a hell of a hard time actually getting the kick to work with my current controller. The force pushback isn't even that good, and the other three stones seem worthless. I do like running around with the head and a jailer robe, though; makes me look like some sort of cross with a demon and the grim reaper, complete with scythe.

Edit: http://i.imgur.com/EOZKgWy.jpg

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 20, 2016

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

hampig posted:

Hrm it does seem unlikely but it's not impossible. If it's not just the game being bullshit, are you using prisoner's chain? They might also have a bunch of not-obvious stuff that makes it look like they're taking less damage like being embered with max VIG+life ring+favor, or a bunch of VIT, or lloyd's shield ring.

No prisoners chain instead I am using ring of favor, chloranthy, the carthus invisible roll ring and hornet ring. Maybe they did stack vigor but, we were both reds so I don't think embering affects that.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Please explain it even more for me

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

oldpainless posted:

maiden manhattan

i dont know wtf the pun is either

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

MysticalMachineGun posted:

The Pontiff is kicking my rear end. That guy posting a video made me feel worse as for some reason my Pontiff is a lot more aggressive :smith:

Not to mention that I chose not to kill the pilgrim in the church and Anri can help me as a phantom and :smith::smith:

I played a shield using coward for my first playthrough, and found that Pontiff has the glaring blind spot of right behind him. As long as you hold a shield up to block the occasional swing that reaches wide or his reactive back swing, you can just stay in that spot and slash him once or twice with a quick weapon whenever he is winding down from an attack.

Phase 2 you have to get more aggressive with, or you will be overwhelmed by the number of attacks, but they are also more telegraphed and easier to dodge in my opinion.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I tried using the dragon stones while invading as an Aldrich Faithful, because I never saw anyone using them.

Then I realized why. The special dragon attacks you get are atrocious. The fire breath and arm attacks both have terrible range. I tried hitting someone with that dragon arms slam attack, over the course of ten invasions, and when I finally managed to hit someone it did crap damage.

Add to that having crap defense. Maybe if it looked cool I'd do it for fashion souls. But nope. It's a shame because DS2 dragon form was awesome.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Floodkiller posted:

I played a shield using coward for my first playthrough, and found that Pontiff has the glaring blind spot of right behind him. As long as you hold a shield up to block the occasional swing that reaches wide or his reactive back swing, you can just stay in that spot and slash him once or twice with a quick weapon whenever he is winding down from an attack.

Phase 2 you have to get more aggressive with, or you will be overwhelmed by the number of attacks, but they are also more telegraphed and easier to dodge in my opinion.

I found a shield to make that fight tougher since he can chew through stamina and can really punish a lack of mobility. 1st time I used the parrying dagger and the second time on NG+ I used a buckler/grass crest combo. Mainly rolled around to fight him and parried when possible.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

What?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

oldpainless posted:

Yes, wtf are you chatting?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
This is $40 at Best Buy this week. Dark Souls 1 and 2 (and Bloodborne) are among the tiny list of games I have actually played to completion (while somehow owning a few hundred games across consoles and PC).

Please reinforce that I should not buy this now, when I am currently level 14 in Witcher 3, and have no yet played Grand Theft Auto V (both of which I own).

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

SlyFrog posted:

This is $40 at Best Buy this week. Dark Souls 1 and 2 (and Bloodborne) are among the tiny list of games I have actually played to completion (while somehow owning a few hundred games across consoles and PC).

Please reinforce that I should not buy this now, when I am currently level 14 in Witcher 3, and have no yet played Grand Theft Auto V (both of which I own).

Well this is much better game though

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

SlyFrog posted:

Do you want to play what is probably the best game to be released this year for $40?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Happy Hedonist posted:

Do you want to play what is probably the best game to be released this year for $40?
Idk man Dishonored and Deus Ex sequels looking mighty sweet so far

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

!Klams posted:

The weirdest part of this game for me was The consumed king. I sunbro'd a few times and every time the host would hide while I basically solo'd it. So I figured I was ready to go in and do it on my own, I walk in, and he immediately jumps in the air, disappears and then reappears on the ground and I'm dead, with no animation in between. This happened like 3 times. I figured there was a different moveset if you were on your own or something. Nope, just turned out to be glitching every single time?

/Edit: Also, I never saw anyone else using the dragon stones to walk around as a crazy firebreathing, dragonclaw smashing naked motherfucker? I haven't even seen any of you guys doing it, or seen any videos with it? I'd have thought that would be everywhere, just because its weird and different looking?

I use the dragon head stone, but that's as far as I'm willing to go for fashion souls because
A. Using the body stone is crippling
B. Frankly, the dragon full-body looks dumb. It doesn't even have the benefit of looking cool. Personally, I think it was super lazy. They also missed out big time not capitalizing on the opportunity for dragon beast claw equivalents that might make the stupid body stone worth it.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

So I have heard there is no restrictions on summoning if you use a password. Is this correct and if so what are the chances of someone helping a new character at a low soul level get to NG+?

I really want to do a chameleon trickster build to help by wearing way of the blue and sitting in the great swamp. Figured it would be fun to help out the blue bros.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Happy Hedonist posted:

He already is, it's called Witcher 3 Blood and Wine :smug:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

I dont get it, what is the pun?

The head piece is a Maidenhood

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

thats retarded.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

DS3 Level 1 chronicles: Ancient Wyvern slain, Oceiros slain, Gundyr slain, now I'm getting beat up by the Dragonslayer Armor. It's definitely going to be easier to deal with than the Dancer was, it has very dodgable attacks. But I really only have to gently caress up once, and the run to the boss from the Dancer bonfire is very tedious.

RyokoTK posted:

Run back from Dragon Barracks instead.

Wait am I missing something here? You can go straight from the Lothric Castle bonfire, jump down, turn right, go up the elevator and you're at Dragonslayer Armor. You don't have to fight or aggro anything. Do you have a bigger aggro range at SL 1 or something?

e: oh I get it the elevator is tedious but they chase you from dragon barracks. I guess when I think tedious boss run I think Four Kings.

Simply Simon posted:

Idk man Dishonored and Deus Ex sequels looking mighty sweet so far

Dishonored 2 is going to have to improve its writing/story an awful lot from the first one to be in the running. If Mankind Divided is similar to Human Evolution though it's in with a chance.

hampig fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 21, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Worst boss run is still Bed of Chaos

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
It's one of the things I never understood about people complaining about despawning in DS2. Everyone knows that what you wind up doing is running past everything without fighting, which is a whole lot easier than clearing the path 12 times, so I never understood the whole "making it too easy for casuals" argument.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

hampig posted:

Dishonored 2 is going to have to improve its writing/story an awful lot from the first one to be in the running. If Mankind Divided is similar to Human Evolution though it's in with a chance.

If you arent playing dishonored as a whirling blur of death and rats i feel bad for you.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

hampig posted:

It's one of the things I never understood about people complaining about despawning in DS2. Everyone knows that what you wind up doing is running past everything without fighting, which is a whole lot easier than clearing the path 12 times, so I never understood the whole "making it too easy for casuals" argument.

At one point the complaint was because it prevented you from farming enemies since a ton of them have unique weapons and armor you can't get any other way, but now you can make enemies always respawn with the covenant of champions. It's a very silly complaint now.

Yardbomb posted:

Literally never noticed FPS problems in Bloodborne. Either the game still flowed well enough that I didn't care or they managed to hide it real well somehow.

Loran darkbeast can be a frame rate bomb, and if you are ever co-oping in the big grassy two-layer room in a chalice dungeon you will really notice it struggling. Players seem to hit the performance hard.

Aside from that one room in co-op there's nowhere I've seen it stay consistently below 30, but the PS4 can only barely keep the game at that level, which means if some fire particles from hotdog or whatever get too close to the camera it can dip for a moment. That's really critical because it lowers the game speed and screws with your dodge timing.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
So after the latest patch, are sorceries good now?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
sorceries were always good.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcPOxkpfUoE

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mr. Funktastic posted:

So after the latest patch, are sorceries good now?

Some spells have quicker casting times now, two that come to mind are lightning bolt for miracles and chaos bed vestiges for pyromancy, I don't know which sorceries are faster now

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy

I ran into an Aldritch Faithful who also used the crow's model. Only it was significantly less funny because he just insta killed me with an arrow while I was leaving it an item.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The best Dragon Stone was DS2's.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Dollas posted:

yo i got invaded by this dude (first time i've played through a souls game online) and there was a full second delay between any swing and damage done. it was really obnoxious, is this pretty much par for the course?

Same happened to me (to be fair, it was Australian internet + I was streaming) made it very hard to fight. Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEupZ6ewJ7s&t=33s

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

PleasingFungus posted:

ds3's bosses tend to get a lot more aggressive if you try to keep your distance from them, in my experience. that guy was sticking pretty close to ol' sully - are you a ranged char?

Filthy Hans posted:

I find he's by far the hardest boss to evade from and heal. His attacks when you're far away are vicious and they cover ground faster than you can run, you have to dodge until he whiffs with an attack that has a long recovery period.

Floodkiller posted:

Cheers guys. I wasn't ranged, but was scrambling for healing. I'll give your advice a go.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Tallgeese posted:

The best Dragon Stone was DS2's.

It had the most utility, to be certain, as it was servicable armor. Not great, because it had no poise on it, but ok. At least it was light.

I think it looked cool but also that it looked too much like armor that was a bit dragon themed, which is kind of boring. Better than the emaciated hollow look that DS3's dragon has going though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Worst boss run is still Bed of Chaos

idk demon's souls probably has the worst boss runs since it doesn't really do shortcuts in the same way that the later games did

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rigged Death Trap posted:

If you arent playing dishonored as a whirling blur of death and rats i feel bad for you.

That doesn't actually seem fun, though? One of Dishonored's biggest problems is that the powers make the game way too easy if you just want to do a "kill everything" run

I had fun in that game by doing an ultra-stealthy run so that I could just listen in on conversations and poo poo, and restricting power usage to sight and teleportation. It was still piss-easy but at least I got to explore a cool world and hear guys talking to each other in cockney accents all the time.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Things are bad. Could the city get any worse?

Indeed, I believe so.

Things are bad. Could the city get any worse?

Never doubt it.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

hampig posted:

I'm not sure if throwing shade at any other game's story is appropriate when you're posting in the Dark Souls 3 thread.

"Guys the first flame is going out... again. Get some undead to fight and trot out some big weird dudes to kill to sort it out. Again. For the third time. Or don't! I dunno. Cycles are weird. Time is convoluted. Those Youtuber chucklefucks eat this up."

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Keep the flame lit long enough for someone to invent electricity or gas burning lamps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dark Souls has good characters and story, it doesn't have a great plot.