Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Gonna beat GoT to the finale and maybe boost their views because of it.

Again, GoT is 9pm. Penny Dreadful is 10pm.

Well, except for the upcoming Sunday when they air the first of the two episodes at 9pm.

So, not only are they starting it an hour earlier than normal, there are directly going up against the penultimate episode of GoT because of the that.

There's no universe in which this is going to have a positive impact on live views.

But, as I said before, live views mean absolutely nothing to a subscription ad-free network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maybe get some good press in the week between its finale and GoT? Which still means beating GoT to the finish line. It's apples and oranges though, there is no way Penny Dreadful can match the numbers or directly compete with GoT. It would be like trying to have Ray Donovan compete directly with The Sopranos. Just ain't gonna be a thing.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Best dinner scene since Dune.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Finndo posted:

Best dinner scene since Dune.

You haven't seen Ash vs the Evil Dead obviously

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

savinhill posted:

You haven't seen Ash vs the Evil Dead obviously

"We hit a deer!"
"Yeah, and then I had to cut it out of the grill with my....chainsaw hand."

Nothus Infelix
Jan 1, 2006
Scelesti vulgus superstitiosus ignavusque sunt.

Party Plane Jones posted:

If I remember right, Vanessa's lobotomy was more of a trepanning than a lobotomy was we know it (eg, stick a spike in the eye socket, hit it with a hammer)
It was a trephination/trepanning, not a lobotomy. The Jekyll/Frankenstein treatment is probably intended to be an allusion to lobotomy, since they go in through the eyes. The trephination was not, though modern audiences would obviously see a parallel between it and the lobotomy craze of the last century.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Anyone watching?

Nannypea
Feb 20, 2006

Faster, you naughty little monkey!
Yes, I watched. I'm now a broken women.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

What happened?! I don't have cable for two weeks!

Nannypea
Feb 20, 2006

Faster, you naughty little monkey!
You need to watch it to fully appreciate it.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

What happened?! I don't have cable for two weeks!

THE END

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
So, wait, was there one hour or two tonight? I'm just trying to figure out if I recorded everything I need.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Two one hour episodes.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Well... drat. :(

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
That felt like the sort of thing you would make if told that you had to end a TV show and had two episodes in which to do it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

tirinal posted:

That felt like the sort of thing you would make if told that you had to end a TV show and had two episodes in which to do it.

Yeah. gently caress Showtime forever. That was worse than the Sopranos black screen. All that wonderful character development this season for naught, double-tapped in the back of the head because "oh hey we can't go on without Eva."

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Oh my, the Lily scenes. Kudos to Billy Piper, all is forgiven for Brona's accent.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

priznat posted:

Oh my, the Lily scenes. Kudos to Billy Piper, all is forgiven for Brona's accent.

Yeah, she was the MVP for that scene with Victor. By comparison Eva's were flat and predictable.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, she was the MVP for that scene with Victor. By comparison Eva's were flat and predictable.

Yeah I was kind of surprised Vanessa just said "gently caress it" and rolled over so easily. Really a shame.

Great scenes in the episodes though, crushingly devastating (Lily, Creature) and some awesome rear end-kicking (Ethan and Kataney double dragon action, all the shooting vamps in the face with mausers). Really sucks if the show's over (and seems pretty bloody likely).

Need my Ferdinand Lyle fix dammit.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This cannot be emphasized enough. Pretty much the most boring possible way to end Vanessa's plotline, oh well at least we got the incredible Lily monologue.

"GET loving UP!" My God. I had no idea Billie Piper could act like that, I've only seen her in Doctor Who.

Though I have to say Justine gave up embarrassingly fast when it looked like Lily was gone. Too bad she didn't wait to kill herself a few more hours!

If I had to sum up Penny Dreadful I'd say it's a show with a lot of fascinating ideas and compelling scenes that never really came together to make a coherent whole. Less than the sum of it's parts I guess you could say. Would still recommend though.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Solid end but yea. It definitely felt like the show had another 6 or 8 eps worth of material in it that they had to just snip and throw out.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Tokubetsu posted:

Solid end but yea. It definitely felt like the show had another 6 or 8 eps worth of material in it that they had to just snip and throw out.

I just can't agree with you on the 'solid end' thing. Showtime's stayed silent on the possibility of renewal for weeks now, knowing full well they were going to cram that "THE END" down our throats, as if the show can't go on without Eva Green, once the supporting cast is finally getting interesting. It was a *lazy* end, made all the worse by such a phenomenal build-up.

At least GoT was 'positive' this evening.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2016/06/penny-dreadful-eva-green-john-logan-on.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jun 20, 2016

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Holy God every moment of this has been pure loving art from season one to now. I'm God damned blown away that more people don't watch this awesome show.

I want to stand in the street and throw DVDs of it at people who look brooding.

Wax Lion
Aug 24, 2009

Such a disappointing ending. I've heard several times now that Logan had a three year plan which no one will ever be able to convince me is true. Absolutely no one got a satisfying resolution. On top of that it was just so shoddily plotted--never this show's strong suit, but this was particularly terrible.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Yeah it seems like the showrunner/writers suspected that they were not getting renewed about halfway through the season and had to settle for tying up every loose end. It'd explain why they quickly dumped a bunch of interesting characters like Hecate or Lyle before the finale.

The real disappointment had to be that Dorian was still loving useless.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Yeah. Deadline confirming that the show has ended. :(

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
It wasn't a bad ending exactly but it felt kind of rushed and unsatisfactory?

Shame about the show ending, it was really something special!

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
There is one painting in Dorian's chamber that is hung crooked, and it is driving me absolutely mad.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

I'm somewhat disappointed that the show just ended and we didn't get a scene where Ethan found out about Brona/Lily. I also thought it was neat how Dorian Gray was handled and not thrown into the main plot. At least I'm guessing he pretty much served to show us how immortals turn into monsters.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dorian did in the show what he does in life. Float in and out of other people's stories looking for something interesting, but ultimately being bored.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/penny-dreadful-ending-season-3-series-finale-creator-interview-john-logan-david-nevins-1201798946/

Did you guys see this interview? Really sounds like ending the show was Logan's idea, and Nevins seems like such a fan that I actually believe him when he said Showtime would have happily made more seasons.

I actually liked the resolutions for most of the characters. I was bummed that Vanessa's was seemingly just "give up," but Logan's rationale actually rings true to me, and I like it more on reflection.

Wax Lion
Aug 24, 2009

I don't buy it. They were clearly setting up for an Egyptian plot. Nothing came of Dorian, Dracula literally zipped off screen never to be seen again, etc etc. I'm positive Eva Green wanted out and Showtime was unwilling to fund more seasons.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Wax Lion posted:

Dracula literally zipped off screen never to be seen again.

"Dracula died on the way back to his home planet."

I mean, seriously - there was time for him to stand next to Ethan holding Eva and have the both of them share an exhausted 'moment of loss' as he realizes he's doomed to be nothing more than a glorified Dorian or Lily, knowing all he's destined to do for eternity is just be *him*, and Ethan knowing that now he's fulfilled his 'destiny' that nothing in his life will ever measure up to be anything more than what he *was*. I mean, where was the tete-a-tete between the 'brothers' Lucifer and Dracula, lamenting what they'd both lost and chiding the other for their failures?

If anything, the person I feel the most sorry for is Perdita Weeks. Catriona had some big shoes to fill being brought in as the replacement for Lyle, and they never even gave her a chance to see if her foot would fit in *one* of them.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 20, 2016

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Ahhhhhhhh I've read enough to gather there was a second hour I turned off because I thought it was next week, what the hell?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Wow.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I really liked that ending.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If anything, the person I feel the most sorry for is Perdita Weeks. Catriona had some big shoes to fill being brought in as the replacement for Lyle, and they never even gave her a chance to see if her foot would fit in *one* of them.

When I first saw her I assumed they were writing out Eva and making awesome new girl the star next season. Guess I was wrong.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ShakeZula posted:

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/penny-dreadful-ending-season-3-series-finale-creator-interview-john-logan-david-nevins-1201798946/

Did you guys see this interview? Really sounds like ending the show was Logan's idea, and Nevins seems like such a fan that I actually believe him when he said Showtime would have happily made more seasons.

I actually liked the resolutions for most of the characters. I was bummed that Vanessa's was seemingly just "give up," but Logan's rationale actually rings true to me, and I like it more on reflection.

Bullshit. They brought on Dr. Jekyll and this new character clearly as a setup for future seasons.

I wonder what her deal was going to be. I was half expecting a Van Helsing reveal this episode.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Well that didn't loving deliver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Yeah, this story just doesn't check out. He's got interviews after Season 2 where he plainly states there's not an endpoint in sight and the way the first half of Season 3 plays out, it just makes little sense to rush in Cat and Jekyll if you already know you have under 9 hours for your curtain call with a cast this big. Factor in Hecate and Rusk being shown the door so unceremoniously when it's clear that they'd previously had bigger things slated for them and something tells me that something shifted midway through production.

I realize the show isn't show sequentially necessarily so it's not like they finish Episode 5 and suddenly realize they're cancelled, but this season in no way reads like someone's draft of the last act of a three-act play. It reads like setting up for 4 or 5 and then realizing midway through you have to finish in 3. They're putting a nice spin on it as Logan is on to his next Showtime project but the ending felt very, very wrong, artfully executed as it was.

• Locked thread