Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
Pretty generic portrait but I'm happy and so is she!

Vinture by bang3rachi, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
Found a cool biker nearby who is letting me doing a project on him and his hoard of collectibles:

Creeper by Kyle Sonnenberg, on Flickr

Creeper's Place by Kyle Sonnenberg, on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

When he sees what you've titled his album you're going to go missing?

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

VelociBacon posted:

When he sees what you've titled his album you're going to go missing?
And/or become part of the collection?

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
Haha, i have no idea what his real name is or why it's his nickname - he's a really mellow guy. I think he's into some shady stuff so maybe he takes weird stuff as barter sometimes.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Judge Schnoopy posted:

OK I feel like I'm obligated to make some sort of criticism here because I'm waayyyy too jealous of the shots you're getting. That chair doesn't look like it fits the scene and kind of breaks immersion to the rundown location.

But seriously that's the best I can come up with because I'm enamored right now. The sheer attitude you're portraying is off the charts.

Thank you very much. And you're totally right about the chair. I had limited chair selection, and that one does end up sticking out, doesn't it?

I took some pictures of a friend while I was in LA.

Untitled by Jason, on Flickr

thetzar fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 17, 2016

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I like the first one but the framing on the last two seems weird. Cutting off her boots at the ankles looks strange. If that's not a crop, I'd be tempted to crop it at knee level so that you get the feeling of movement but without it looking like you were just standing a bit too close to fit her in the frame.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
I like everything about the first one except the head down pose, and the sunnies detract from it as well. Second one is ok, has potential but she is all messed up in the power lines/pylons in the background. Third one I would have culled.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Holy poo poo, real feedback! Thank you, thank you to you both!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I think the last two could have worked if her feet weren't cut off. For me without seeing the skates it just looks sloppy and without direction.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

unusual framing can work but it has to look intentional.

If you're making an active choice in doing a non-traditional crop you need to have it be more compelling than what it could be.

You've got a cool girl with cool skates in a neat location. That should be enough for a cool shot.

I hope this doesn't come across as argumentative or me being a huge dick but I am genuinely curious what your reasoning behind cropping the skates is.

Do you have frames with the skates included?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Sold my 5D and 7D, got a Fuji XT1 and finally got back around to shooting people moments after they'd just finished running 5K.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

jerzy by alex gard, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

that is such a cool portrait. well done.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Street portrait

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Paragon8 posted:

unusual framing can work but it has to look intentional.

If you're making an active choice in doing a non-traditional crop you need to have it be more compelling than what it could be.

You've got a cool girl with cool skates in a neat location. That should be enough for a cool shot.

I hope this doesn't come across as argumentative or me being a huge dick but I am genuinely curious what your reasoning behind cropping the skates is.

Do you have frames with the skates included?

I don't read this as you being a dick at all!

The shots I posted are not cropped in. I was shooting as wide as I could as she made a pass in front of me. We did other passes as well where I had her without being cut off, but I didn't like her expression or pose as much in those.

I kind of took the forced cropping as a happy accident. It's very hard for me to crop in, I usually err on the side of including too much. I liked that this time the decision was kind of made for me. But my own view of these is doubtless tinted by the fact that I've seen the dozens and dozens of frames that didn't make it through the edit.

If you're interested in seeing some of the 'almosts', take a look here: http://imgur.com/a/umfss

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich

Sludge Tank posted:

that is such a cool portrait. well done.

Thanks!

Here's his friend, another biker. Though it's super noisy sadly.

Georgia. by Kyle Sonnenberg, on Flickr

Erostratus fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 26, 2016

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Erostratus posted:

Though it's super noisy sadly.

Nothin sad about it imo

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

iSheep fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 7, 2017

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Nice, looks like an oil painting.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
:) Thanks. I thought so too. Portra is dark magic as far as I'm concerned.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

thetzar posted:

I don't read this as you being a dick at all!

The shots I posted are not cropped in. I was shooting as wide as I could as she made a pass in front of me. We did other passes as well where I had her without being cut off, but I didn't like her expression or pose as much in those.

I kind of took the forced cropping as a happy accident. It's very hard for me to crop in, I usually err on the side of including too much. I liked that this time the decision was kind of made for me. But my own view of these is doubtless tinted by the fact that I've seen the dozens and dozens of frames that didn't make it through the edit.

If you're interested in seeing some of the 'almosts', take a look here: http://imgur.com/a/umfss

thats fair, I think you've got some good shots in the almosts. I just feel for this shoot you really have to get the skates in or pair the cropped shot with a skate shot.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

MyKyla
by Steve V, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

what large format photographers think they look like:

what large format photographers actually look like:

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Sheyla
by Steve V, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Untitled by Jason Martin, on Flickr

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Pretty generic maternity shoot, but I'm new to this so I didn't want to get out of my comfort zone (being what I had looked up online for maternity photos).

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 20, 2016

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Pretty generic maternity shoot, but I'm new to this so I didn't want to get out of my comfort zone (being what I had looked up online for maternity photos).

Personally I really like this direction of maternity stuff. It's a nice portrait of a pregnant woman, not some cheesy exposed belly/nude couple/caricature that I personally can't stand. I find most maternity stuff on the same level as Russian wedding photography with the miniature groom photoshopped into weird scenes.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
It looks like you missed focus on that one, instead of her eyes/face you got her arm I'm pretty sure.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Verman posted:

I find most maternity stuff on the same level as Russian wedding photography with the miniature groom photoshopped into weird scenes.

Holy gently caress you weren't kidding. Googling "Russian wedding photography" gives an endless font for the "I found the best photographer" thread.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
This is the owner of a horse ranch in West Virginia where I rented a fantastic AirBNB for a few nights. She was also a professional photographer in NYC from the 50s until the mid-70s, when she grew fed up with it and moved into the hills. Nice life.

Ms Hanley by Jason Martin, on Flickr

Ms Hanley by Jason Martin, on Flickr

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

thetzar posted:

This is the owner of a horse ranch in West Virginia where I rented a fantastic AirBNB for a few nights. She was also a professional photographer in NYC from the 50s until the mid-70s, when she grew fed up with it and moved into the hills. Nice life.

Did you get to see some of her work ? Honestly curious

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

unpacked robinhood posted:

Did you get to see some of her work ? Honestly curious

I did. She was one of the few civilian photographers allowed in South Korea just after the Korean War ended. She has boxes of negatives she took there, of which I've seen just a few scans. She just did a deal with the USC East Asia Library to scan and archive them, so hopefully they'll make their way online soon.

She's really good.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
I'm slowly learning to apply cosmetics, so that I'm not completely dependent on a MUA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Dani
by Steve V, on Flickr