Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
‘It’s Hard Being Away From You All,’ Says Donald Trump While Spreading Bird Feed Around Rooftop Pigeon Coop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Uh he has a deciding vote in the senate in case of a 50-50 split, you know the senate that now requires enough votes to break a filibuster to get any legislation passed at all

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Al! posted:

Uh he has a deciding vote in the senate in case of a 50-50 split, you know the senate that now requires enough votes to break a filibuster to get any legislation passed at all

yeah but he's not going to go rogue and vote against the administration's agenda

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Grey Fox posted:

I'm pretty sure the Earth would split in two if you put Biden and Warren in close proximity with each other.

or they cancel each other out and leave a small pool of water behind

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/744895222467825664

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Karl Sharks posted:

yeah but he's not going to go rogue and vote against the administration's agenda

I'm saying he won't ever have to wield that power

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Al! posted:

I'm saying he won't ever have to wield that power

oh fair enough, that was my bad misreading it, day has just been crazy

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Karl Sharks posted:

aren't some of his policies kinda lovely for a democrat? he's got a great personality and is good at using his experience to work legislation, but heard he wouldn't be best choice for president

He says 200k a year in income is "middle class", has advocated for social security cuts/grand bargains, and his state is heavily run by the insurance and banking industries which he supports. So... he's exactly where the main stream of the Democratic party is and all of it's leadership is and 100% aligned with Pelosi, Obama, Clinton, Schumer, Reid, and Wasserman. Really those "lovely" economic policies are the only thing on the table for Democrats. The notion that the Democratic party is for the working class or the party of New Deal is just as farcical as the Republicans claiming they are the party of civil rights and Abe Lincoln.

If you think 200k is not middle class, object to grand bargains that cut entitlements, don't think that "defined benefit" plans like social security are bad, or have a problem with venture capital and insurance your problem isn't Joe Biden, your problem is the Democratic party. Keep in mind that Social Security privatization was a Bill Clinton idea that only failed due to Monica, but we still got financial deregulation and free trade that benefited blue states while destroying rural red states. Also keep in mind that Obama was pushing for Social Security cuts before he even ran for president, and almost got them but the Tea Party hosed it all up. So if you object to these "lovely Biden policies"... um you object to the Democratic party!

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

pangstrom posted:

Mormons-in-general are legit nice and have decent educations so while white-as-gently caress I can see them giving the thumbs down to Trump. Would be surprised if Utah went blue but Trump doesn't have a lot going for him so who knows.

Counterpoint: abortion, the end of days, gay marriage, guns, and secularism. They might spoil for Gary Johnson but they would vote Trump ahead of Clinton. I got raised by some crazy rear end mormons.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
RCP national polling average - June 20, 2008: Obama 47.5, McCain 42.0 (O +5.5)
RCP national polling average - June 20, 2012: Obama 46.6, Romney 44.4 (O +2.2)

RCP national polling average - June 20, 2016: Clinton 45.4, Trump 39.4 (C +6.0)

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Grognan posted:

Counterpoint: abortion, the end of days, gay marriage, guns, and secularism. They might spoil for Gary Johnson but they would vote Trump ahead of Clinton. I got raised by some crazy rear end mormons.

Why would they vote for Trump ahead of Clinton, though? He's a pro-gay, anti-gun secular republican. He has nothing to offer the mormon community other than an expectation of support for (R) legislation. I think religious groups are going to be Trump's weakest "loyalist" blocs because they were mainly voting R because R pandered to them directly. If Trump won't do it I don't see them holding onto the religious vote.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

paranoid randroid posted:

i wish i could remember the name of that bald turtleneck youtube guy who has all those videos of him swirling whiskey in a glass while sitting in front of a cabinet full of anime figurines and skulls and saying things like " now, i love the blacks, but..."

Davis "tiny wheenie" Aurini is his name :newlol:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Slate Action posted:

RCP national polling average - June 20, 2008: Obama 47.5, McCain 42.0 (O +5.5)
RCP national polling average - June 20, 2012: Obama 46.6, Romney 44.4 (O +2.2)

RCP national polling average - June 20, 2016: Clinton 45.4, Trump 39.4 (C +6.0)

seems like she should be polling better against a clown, considering obama had half her experience and mccain was a POW

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

quote:

Outside the campaign, Hicks's colleagues gossip about whether she'll regret her heady first brush with politics. “She made a choice to work for the most fascist candidate in recent American history,” one political spokesperson told me. “Everyone who knows her tells her to stop doing this and putting her name on stuff.… She is going to regret everything she's said and done. And I don't think she knows it yet.”

okay so am i crazy for thinking hicks seems okay and should have a go at working in politics if she enjoys it? would have to know her more personally since she's not shown much about herself, but feels like she's gotten pushed onto an incredibly high up ledge and has been doing well enough to hang on. can't imagine how most people would do as trump's press secretary for their first job in politics

i mean it's not like she really applied for the job, she was plucked from working with ivanka to do this job for trump, so i'm leaning towards giving her credit where credit is due and wouldn't blacklist her/immediately dump her resume if i was working in that field

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Radbot posted:

seems like she should be polling better against a clown, considering obama had half her experience and mccain was a POW

are ya still spite-voting for trump

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
https://twitter.com/LizMair/status/744957083741609985
https://twitter.com/LizMair/status/744957209902100480

Liz Mair ran the first anti-Trump pac, was the first #NeverTrump, and was the one who dropped the infamous "Melania naked" ad.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

i wish i could remember the name of that bald turtleneck youtube guy who has all those videos of him swirling whiskey in a glass while sitting in front of a cabinet full of anime figurines and skulls and saying things like " now, i love the blacks, but..."

reminder that he just owns one skull he moves around, and his name is mcarthur

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Radbot posted:

what do you expect in this polarized world? you could put up a used tampon with an R next to it and get at least 35%

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Quote of day

quote:

“I’ve said on occasion, even about myself, if I were starting off today I would love to be a well-educated black because I really believe they do have an actual advantage today.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-e...RHnrzbza-MTQM2g

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Montasque posted:

Liz Mair ran the first anti-Trump pac, was the first #NeverTrump, and was the one who dropped the infamous "Melania naked" ad.
I can't really disagree with her.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

one thing i like about that is he thinks you can start off well-educated

i think he just means rich?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

pangstrom posted:

Mormons-in-general are legit nice and have decent educations so while white-as-gently caress I can see them giving the thumbs down to Trump. Would be surprised if Utah went blue but Trump doesn't have a lot going for him so who knows.

Brannock posted:

I knew a bunch of Mormons while growing up and aside from their wacko religion and harassment/stalking of apostates they're the most whitebread perfect-60s-nuclear-family Americans possible. I can't see them voting for Trump at all.

There's two things that make Trump toxic for Mormons (aside from the obvious Trump being an idiot thing)

1) Mormons almost all do missionary work, mostly in South America and Asia. They have a really low tolerance towards racist/nativist bigotry.

2) Mormons in the 19th century were a fringe cult regarded as heretic/insane that ran away to Utah to get away from pogroms. They have a really low tolerance towards religious bigotry.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i loved Liz Mairs debut album, Exile in Trumpville

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Not convinced being the news is the same as winning it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Grey Fox posted:

I can't really disagree with her.

All publicity is good publicity, just ask OJ

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

I think the judge controversy proved that not all press is good press.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Montasque posted:

This will be the third race in a row in which the Republicans obsess about "winning the day" while losing the election.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Top City Homo posted:

just checked his youtube and yep, still hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiS6CE-Y6bo

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Montasque posted:

everyone knows that being on trial is the same as winning the trial

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Liz Mair hates Trump's guts and wants him to lose badly.

I think that's very important to point out.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Lum_ posted:

There's two things that make Trump toxic for Mormons (aside from the obvious Trump being an idiot thing)

1) Mormons almost all do missionary work, mostly in South America and Asia. They have a really low tolerance towards racist/nativist bigotry.

2) Mormons in the 19th century were a fringe cult regarded as heretic/insane that ran away to Utah to get away from pogroms. They have a really low tolerance towards religious bigotry.

Mormons had an official no blacks policy and their religion called them children of Cain. They tolerated quite a bit of racism and nativism.

The larger issue is that Trump does best with downscale whites in areas where diversity and immigration have been used to flood the market with cheap labor or jobs have been farmed out. Utah is white as hell and hasn't had any of the ill effects of immigration and diversity, and Mormons as a whole tend to be fairly well off economically.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
update on the youtube situation - well still lost in the loving desret w/ my stupid hat

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

update on the youtube situation - well still lost in the loving desret w/ my stupid hat

someone asked where in cowboy-land is he and he said in an undisclosed location deep in the mojave

he knows, like scott adams, he will be a top 10 assassination target in the upcoming clinton/obama led race war

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Top City Homo posted:

of everything i hate about this photo, it's that he's smoking indoors :barf:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Montasque posted:

Liz Mair hates Trump's guts and wants him to lose badly.

I think that's very important to point out.

That's fine I just fuckin hate that aphorism

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mirthless posted:

Why would they vote for Trump ahead of Clinton, though? He's a pro-gay, anti-gun secular republican. He has nothing to offer the mormon community other than an expectation of support for (R) legislation. I think religious groups are going to be Trump's weakest "loyalist" blocs because they were mainly voting R because R pandered to them directly. If Trump won't do it I don't see them holding onto the religious vote.

Because mormon fundamentalism is literally wanting the end of days to happen. Between that and sheer loathing spite against anything progressive, they'll vote trump.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Deteriorata posted:

This will be the third race in a row in which the Republicans obsess about "winning the day" while losing the election.

What an odd move from the party who responded to the Obama victory by handing the keys over to Sarah Palin and her merry band of 70 year olds who couldn't decide what they were actually mad about and telling them every terrible thought that ever popped into their head is real.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
update on the youtube sitch - hiding in scrubland wastes from people callling me a bald anime spaz on twitter

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Karl Sharks posted:

but they've been hating him so far

as much as they hate trump, i guarantee you that they hate hillary even more, there's a small possibility of johnson splitting off votes but id bet on utah and idaho staying red

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

MysteriousStranger posted:

He says 200k a year in income is "middle class",

If you think 200k is not middle class,

Okay this is a pet peeve for me so skip to the next quote if you don't want to read about me griping about the common view of what an economic "middle class" really is. Yes 200k a year and thereabouts is middle class

That people object so furiously to this is an excellent indicator of how successful we've become at convincing people that median and average wage, not actual financial freedom and capability, is a mark of the middle class. It also indicates exactly how loving stagnant our wages have become in real terms over the last several decades. Finally, it indicates the absurdity of $38k wage slaves considering themselves middle class

Your 2016 $70k household with two full time workers barely qualifies as middle class in even the most lenient of definitions. One of the two workers losing their job would severely strain the household's finances. That's not something that an actually middle-class household has to worry about, since they're financially independent enough to be able to weather short-term setbacks without having to scavenge their long-term financial planning

Of course this varies region by region but it's helpful to keep in mind that "middle class" describes a certain set of financial status. Right now in America I'd roughly estimate that the middle class makes up like 10% of the population (if that)

Lum_ posted:

Ah yeah I'd forgotten about the missionary work and religious bigotry angle on this. Thanks for the reminder

Bush made international travel as an American embarrassing, I can't imagine how much worse Trump would make it

• Locked thread