Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kurieg posted:

The early to mid 2000s must have been an terrible amazing time then.

"Too long have I slumbered in darkness, I must pwn some n00bs in Halo 2."

The world needs more of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Doodmons posted:

Yeah there is. As of Requiem 2nd edition, torpor dreams don't just scramble all your old memories and give you Fog of Ages, they also give your weirdly prophetic visions of what the world is going to be like when you wake up that make it very easy to adapt to whatever time period you end up in. There's a fiction piece written by an ancilla whose job it is to help torpored elders adjust to the modern world once they've woken up and she's like "this job is easy as gently caress, the elders pop out of their coffins and within a day or two they already know more about the modern world than I do. I still don't get Twitter and they're happily tapping away on smartphones."

There's also a bit in Ancient Mysteries that covers how an elder's mental malleability in coming out of long-term torpor actually makes them ripe for indoctrination and brainwashing by anyone less-than-scrupulous who just so happened to find them as they were awakening (assuming that one party didn't instead immediately try to eat the other, of course).

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
"Somebody's going to have to explain to Aloysius that the term "deathmatch" isn't literal."
"Not it."

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
q!=e

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kurieg posted:

The early to mid 2000s must have been a terrible time then.

"Too long have I slumbered in darkness, I must pwn some n00bs in Halo 2."

Somewhere there's a Mekhet Elder obsessed with finding out the truth behind the stupid pendant in Dark Souls.

It must mean something!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Somewhere, deep in the bowels of the Ordo Dracul sanctum, lies a forgotten mausoleum lain dorment for untold centuries. Suddenly the sealing stone shatters as it's inhabitant breaks it in a fit of rage. It howls, screeching in a long forgotten tongue with vocal cords too dry for coherent speech, but somewhere buried in the noise are two intelligible words.

"NERF BASTION!"

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
I think it was Yawgmoth in some iteration of this thread years ago that discussed a bunch of decrepit old vampires making friendship bracelets and declaring each other "besties" with the utmost gravity and gently caress me if I can remember the context for it but that mental image has stuck with me.

This sort of thing is why y'all are still good people even if we'll argue over the same bullshit until the end of time :gerty:

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Daeren posted:

I think it was Yawgmoth in some iteration of this thread years ago that discussed a bunch of decrepit old vampires making friendship bracelets and declaring each other "besties" with the utmost gravity and gently caress me if I can remember the context for it but that mental image has stuck with me.

This sort of thing is why y'all are still good people even if we'll argue over the same bullshit until the end of time :gerty:

A group of elders awakens, and gather to discuss how the world has changed in their absence. They absorb the culture of the time, through blood and nightmare, and the majestic band, enslaved to the will of these darks gods of the night and equipped with the most valuable of antique instruments, begins playing Justin Bieber to set the mood.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Latest Network Zero is up where we look at Vampire the Requiem 2nd edition and do our best to talk as little about Masquerade as possible.
http://networkzero.podbean.com/e/network-zero-2/

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

"In the depths of torpor, I heard much of the title, "Bae". Tell me, neonate, is "Bae On Fleek" of a higher rank than a "Woke Bae"?
*Blood runs out of eyes and ears.*

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I think the elder who believes the Moon Landings weren't fake would be the exception rather than the rule.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

gtrmp posted:

There's also a bit in Ancient Mysteries that covers how an elder's mental malleability in coming out of long-term torpor actually makes them ripe for indoctrination and brainwashing by anyone less-than-scrupulous who just so happened to find them as they were awakening (assuming that one party didn't instead immediately try to eat the other, of course).

Ooh yeah, there was a story seed where a bunch of Carthian neonates got their claws on one and now Duke Von Sieur de la Graf is talking about the upcoming revolution but getting more and more confused as to why, in fact, he is supporting this cause, and will probably try to kill all of them once he realizes what happened.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Kavak posted:

"In the depths of torpor, I heard much of the title, "Bae". Tell me, neonate, is "Bae On Fleek" of a higher rank than a "Woke Bae"?
*Blood runs out of eyes and ears.*

This is pretty great. Now I actually want to run Vampire just to play this out and see how magical it can get.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I'm closing in on the end-game of the Project, at least for the original run of the World of Darkness. There are a few more titles for 2003, and then just 13 titles total in 2004 and a few novels I need to catch up on, and it'll be done to-date.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Loomer posted:

I'm closing in on the end-game of the Project, at least for the original run of the World of Darkness. There are a few more titles for 2003, and then just 13 titles total in 2004 and a few novels I need to catch up on, and it'll be done to-date.

Madman.

A completely awesome madman, but a madman.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Loomer posted:

So when Australia sinks into the ocean and a new sea of boiling blood forms we can safely blame you, then.

I'm sure the tabloids'll blame the boats though :v:

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

You're going to post it somewhere for us, obviously, right?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Daeren posted:

So when Australia sinks into the ocean and a new sea of boiling blood forms we can safely blame you, then.

I'm sure the tabloids'll blame the boats though :v:

It'll be our turn to face the consequences of our misdeeds, as thousands of terrified white people stream to other nations babbling about the Blood Gods only to be met with furious crowds made up of the people we locked in torture camps screaming 'stop the boats' at us while armed with torches and pitchforks.

Punting posted:

You're going to post it somewhere for us, obviously, right?

The plan is to send it to Onyx Path or White Wolf first as an unsolicited submission, and if they don't want it (which is like, 100% certain), to post it up somewhere. I'm expecting people will be more interested in the lineage charts and demographic information than the raw name lists so those'll be 'consumer facing', so to speak, though if OPP or WW for some bizarre reason (perhaps pity, or fear I will come to their offices in person?) want it I expect they'd be more interested in its ability to act as an index for quick reference.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Is it bad that I want to run machine learning at The Project and just see what happens?

(Loomer, what format is it in right now? Can I read it into python without too much of a hassle?)

Also, to everyone doing Elder chat a few days ago : read The Rhesus Chart by Charles Stross if you haven't.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The Kickstarter for Beckett's Jyhad Diary is up, including a good chunk of text on Google docs. So far I've read chapters involving current events in Milwaukee, the Black Monastery, the Endless Night, and what the hell actually is under New York. All good stuff.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Now that we're looking at new V20 stuff, it reminds me:

Have we heard any word about what Paradox is doing with the license yet?

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 24, 2016

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

What's the Project, some vampire thing?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Trying to catalogue the genealogy of every single vampire mentioned in Masquerade material, back to Caine.

Loomer is quite insane, you see.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mendrian posted:

Now that we're looking at new V20 stuff, it reminds me:

Have we heard any word about what Paradox is doing with the license yet?

None that I know of. I can't imagine they're going to squat on it until Obsidian has cleared its schedule (Assuming they want them to do Bloodlines 2 or whatever), but so far it's just been local LARP stuff.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 24, 2016

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

This sounds like work for a team. Not just just one lone goon. Godspeed you crazy soldier. (I should probably play that masquerade game)

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Daeren posted:

Loomer is quite insane, you see.

New thread title?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Xiahou Dun posted:

Is it bad that I want to run machine learning at The Project and just see what happens?

(Loomer, what format is it in right now? Can I read it into python without too much of a hassle?)

Also, to everyone doing Elder chat a few days ago : read The Rhesus Chart by Charles Stross if you haven't.

It's in doc files rather than something sane like an excel spreadsheet, mostly for ease of use though it means I'll have to import it into the database formats later. Fortunately, it all adheres to coherent internal logic, including the signifiers of generation, age, nationality, etc all being in the same place 90% of the time which means it should be easy to automate and just clean up mistakes.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

It started out as what Daeren said, but it's since become an encyclopedic listing of each and every supernatural (and some of the mortals) in the oWoD, along with associated companies/fronts/products. There's also a comprehensive timeline that, once I'm done, should list every major event of the oWoD (not minor poo poo like 'oh this is when some random vampire got embraced, but stuff like the Praxis of a city changing hands or major conflict between Garou tribes.)

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

:eyepop: How long have you been doing this good lord.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Loomer posted:

It's in doc files rather than something sane like an excel spreadsheet, mostly for ease of use though it means I'll have to import it into the database formats later. Fortunately, it all adheres to coherent internal logic, including the signifiers of generation, age, nationality, etc all being in the same place 90% of the time which means it should be easy to automate and just clean up mistakes.

It started out as what Daeren said, but it's since become an encyclopedic listing of each and every supernatural (and some of the mortals) in the oWoD, along with associated companies/fronts/products. There's also a comprehensive timeline that, once I'm done, should list every major event of the oWoD (not minor poo poo like 'oh this is when some random vampire got embraced, but stuff like the Praxis of a city changing hands or major conflict between Garou tribes.)

Shine on you magnificently crazy bastard.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Loomer posted:

Have you seen Ahistory: An Unauthorized History of Doctor Who? It's basically the same kind of insane quest, except it attempts to make a coherent chronology out of every Dr Who story EVER in EVERY medium, which is trick because Time Travel.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I think the difference between these two things is that one will be an undecipherable mess while the other is the Project.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
You'd think the Project would make Loomer Awaken.

You'd be wrong though. He's become an OWoDomancer Adept, oddly enough.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Loomer posted:

Huh. .doc of all things, really?

You could probably just reg-ex/string process at it and clean it up pretty easily.

Would you be okay with PMing me like a sample just so I can see the formatting? I've known about The Project forever, but now that you're actually wrapping up I've rapidly gone from "Wow, Loomer is insane" to "Wow, holy poo poo I want to look at this".

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

fez_machine posted:

Have you seen Ahistory: An Unauthorized History of Doctor Who? It's basically the same kind of insane quest, except it attempts to make a coherent chronology out of every Dr Who story EVER in EVERY medium, which is trick because Time Travel.

THIRD EDITION

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Nomadic Scholar posted:

:eyepop: How long have you been doing this good lord.
In the current incarnation, it'd be about 2011.

fez_machine posted:

I have not, but god speed them. I'm pretty sure they've picked a much, much harder windmill to tilt at.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

You'd think the Project would make Loomer Awaken.

You'd be wrong though. He's become an OWoDomancer Adept, oddly enough.

:toot:? I think?

Xiahou Dun posted:

Huh. .doc of all things, really?

You could probably just reg-ex/string process at it and clean it up pretty easily.

Would you be okay with PMing me like a sample just so I can see the formatting? I've known about The Project forever, but now that you're actually wrapping up I've rapidly gone from "Wow, Loomer is insane" to "Wow, holy poo poo I want to look at this".

Sure thing.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 25, 2016

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Nines and Bloodlines are finally canon :unsmith:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Kaza42 posted:

THIRD EDITION

Well there's also the Addendum to the Third Edition: http://www.madnorwegian.com/1029/books/ahistory-an-unauthorized-history-of-the-doctor-who-universe-2012-2013-update/

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
You know that Mage illustration of the Free Council guy in a Geek Squad vest standing with a pile of random computer parts in a village? I can never find it when I need it (always). Does anyone have it or know what book it's in?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Kellsterik posted:

You know that Mage illustration of the Free Council guy in a Geek Squad vest standing with a pile of random computer parts in a village? I can never find it when I need it (always). Does anyone have it or know what book it's in?

freecouncil.jpg

it's in legacies of the sublime in the transhuman engineers section btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

NutritiousSnack posted:

Nines and Bloodlines are finally canon :unsmith:

Weren't the bloodlines anarchs left out of anarchs unbound?