Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Krinkle posted:

I have a droid charge. It's garbage and I need a new phone. I don't need the newest thing. It probably has to work with verizon. Doing research on this almost physically hurts me. If verizon is going to be a dick about it and not activate a phone I buy used, then I guess I"ll go to AT&T. This is as far as I've gotten.

The thing that infuriates me about my current droid charge is that it literally never got an OS update, and 90% of things on the play store are unsupported. Also after I put it through the washing machine and it took two weeks to dry out the battery lasts about 26 minutes and it literally never notifies me I have voice mail.

Should I Get a nexus 5/6? My understanding is that nexus products get updates, ever, and that would be nice. I'd also like a phone that doesn't have bloatware.

Wow, that's a bad as hell phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

RVProfootballer posted:

Yes but it survived the washing machine.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

FunOne posted:

I've never had an iPhone with iMessage and I still have this issue.

I think if you log into your Apple ID and change your password that will invalidate your keys and speed up the iMessage shut down process.

I don't get messages from a couple friends with iPhones. We've tested it, and if I text him, he sees it, but when he responds, there's a 50/50 chance I never get it. I have a stock N5X on ATT, and he's Verizon iPhone 6. It seems to be that if he responds quickly, I get them, but if we wait a half hour or so then I don't. It's happened several times.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Krinkle posted:

I have a droid charge. It's garbage and I need a new phone. I don't need the newest thing. It probably has to work with verizon. Doing research on this almost physically hurts me. If verizon is going to be a dick about it and not activate a phone I buy used, then I guess I"ll go to AT&T. This is as far as I've gotten.

The thing that infuriates me about my current droid charge is that it literally never got an OS update, and 90% of things on the play store are unsupported. Also after I put it through the washing machine and it took two weeks to dry out the battery lasts about 26 minutes and it literally never notifies me I have voice mail.

Should I Get a nexus 5/6? My understanding is that nexus products get updates, ever, and that would be nice. I'd also like a phone that doesn't have bloatware.

The Android Thread - Get a Nexus

Fabio Lanzoni
Nov 9, 2006
When I listen to a solo, I think of a duo

alnilam posted:

I am tempted to try a Nexus to try something new (the nexus 5 is 5.2" so not that much bigger than the 1st gen moto x), but has anyone used both the nexus 5 and the moto x, and if so, can you comment on photos between the two?

Any suggestions?

I went from a 1st gen Moto X to a Nexus 5X.

The 5X is noticeably bigger and more difficult to handle if you are used to the smaller size of the X, but other than that it is better in every way.

The camera on the 5X is one of the best out there, really impressive low light performance and excellent in good light.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

ratbert90 posted:

The Android Thread - Get a Nexus

Okay now which one? I wouldn't mind getting a 5 or 6 but these amazon questions and answers make it seem like it's up in the air whether you receive a refurbished one with broken functionality or an international one without CDMA. I worry that my level of knowledge is so low I wouldn't find out right away if one that got shipped was wrong in some way and after going through the trouble of getting it activated and my phone number transferred over that it would be too late to return it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Krinkle posted:

Okay now which one? I wouldn't mind getting a 5 or 6 but these amazon questions and answers make it seem like it's up in the air whether you receive a refurbished one with broken functionality or an international one without CDMA. I worry that my level of knowledge is so low I wouldn't find out right away if one that got shipped was wrong in some way and after going through the trouble of getting it activated and my phone number transferred over that it would be too late to return it.

Get one from the Google store. As for you, either the 5x, 6, or 6p are good.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Krinkle posted:

If you're looking specifically for the North American versions of each phone, these are the model numbers you'll need to look for. On Amazon, each model, color, and storage capacity are sold under different ASINs, so you're not likely to receive the wrong one if you buy third party (unless the seller is a dumbass, then it's on them).

Nexus 6: XT1103
Nexus 5X: H790
Nexus 6P: H1511

For anybody else who doesn't care about CDMA, you're not likely to have any issues with the international versions of each phone in the U.S. I had a Nexus 5X H791 briefly (that I had to return for screen and earpiece problems) that was fully functional with T-Mobile, including Wi-Fi calling and VoLTE. The only thing I'd recommend is getting a U.S. charger, because EU to US power plug adapters are generally pretty awful.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 20, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Krinkle posted:

Since you seem to be budget-conscious if you're looking at year-plus-old phones, you should probably do the Google Fi-then-cancel thing. You'll get a better phone for less than a Nexus 6.

There's literally no reason to buy an international one when you get a US model for $230-$280 (depending on storage capacity - probably pay for the upgrade).

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Why do people itt specify to get a Nexus from the Google store? Is something wrong with getting a new, unlocked, gsm 5x from, say, ebay?

What's the Google Fi then cancel thing? Is it that easy to just cancel after 1 month and get the phone for the subsidized cost + $20?

Also I hadn't heard of Google Fi until now and it seems kind of awesome; is it? Is there a better place to discuss it than here?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

alnilam posted:

Why do people itt specify to get a Nexus from the Google store? Is something wrong with getting a new, unlocked, gsm 5x from, say, ebay?

And what are the warranty and recourse like on Random eBay Special #291?

An actual known retailer like Amazon works if you actually make sure it's the retailer itself selling it and not some 'marketplace' garbage, but 'straight from the company' is a pretty foolproof way of guaranteeing you get what you pay for.

alnilam posted:

Also I hadn't heard of Google Fi until now and it seems kind of awesome; is it? Is there a better place to discuss it than here?

It only works on current Nexuses as yet, so it doesn't really make sense to have a separate carrier thread.

EDIT: v v v Welp, shows me how often I look for new topics in the phones forum. Neat.

alnilam posted:

What's the Google Fi then cancel thing? Is it that easy to just cancel after 1 month and get the phone for the subsidized cost + $20?

Seems that way.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 20, 2016

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

There's a separate carrier thread. I saw it.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747918

This sounds pretty okay to me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

alnilam posted:

Because the Google Store tends to offer better service should something go wrong with your phone. Buying from other retailers will often force you to go to the manufacturer and good luck with that.

Yes, Google Fi sells the 5X for $150 off, and not technically a subsidy. That's just the price. So you can just get the phone and service for a month and cancel. You don't even have to port your number or anything if you're happy with your current service. Just swap the SIM card.

You can talk about Google Fi in the Google Fi thread.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

alnilam posted:

There's nothing wrong with getting a phone on eBay, etc as long as you go with a known seller. I've gotten tons of phones off eBay with no issues and also bought several on SA Mart including my current.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Why would you sacrifice return-ability and known provenance to save $30?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I'm thinking about rooting my nexus 6p. I haven't really rooted anything in about 10 years. What are the big downsides to rooting an android phone these days?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Knifegrab posted:

So I'm thinking about rooting my nexus 6p. I haven't really rooted anything in about 10 years. What are the big downsides to rooting an android phone these days?

Why do you want to root your 6P? Please provide a five-paragraph essay in APA format before the thread can consider replying.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's not really any need to and it makes everything way more annoying.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Mostly just so my luminous app could be more like flux and actually gently caress with my screen's color temperature and not just by throwing a lovely overlay over everything.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

RZA Encryption posted:

Why would you sacrifice return-ability and known provenance to save $30?

This is assuming I don't do the Fi-and-cancel thing. Okay so maybe not eBay, maybe B&H. That's $100 of savings, not $30, and AFAIK they're a pretty reputable seller.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

There's not really any need to and it makes everything way more annoying.

ad blocking and no it really doesn't unless you use android pay

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Knifegrab posted:

Mostly just so my luminous app could be more like flux and actually gently caress with my screen's color temperature and not just by throwing a lovely overlay over everything.

The biggest downside is updating is a pain, and with monthly updates its a bigger issue than before

Chainfires FlashFire app makes it easier to apply ota's but its still kinda beta and occasionally just doesn't work

Also no banking apps, stuff like sky go won't work either

N has an actual built in night mode, so if you can wait till oct/nov then just do that

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Skarsnik posted:

N has an actual built in night mode, so if you can wait till oct/nov then just do that

Cite your sources

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Night Mode was dropped from N because the implementation was rubbish:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/05/19/night-mode-and-dark-theme-are-very-unlikely-to-ship-in-android-n/

However, apps can support Night Mode switching themselves via recent versions of the support libraries if developers want to use it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Oh did they take it out again? I went back to stock before the latest preview

Sounds like something lux or cf.lumen could use then

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Do any of those programs utilize that switching?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Not yet as far as I know

And I doubt either will bother putting it in until N is finalised

Both their current non root solutions arent too bad, maybe try em out?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

alnilam posted:

I bonked my 1st gen Moto X and now there's a dead zone in the touchscreen right where the home/switch/back button row is :(

I have a workable phone for the time being by installing a home-button-replacement app that puts a home button in the notifications tray. But I'm probably in the market for a new phone.

My main criteria are size (small please) and camera (good please).

Get an iPhone SE. Nexus 5's are really old by now and will have horrible battery life. There is nothing small going right now in the Android world.

Second suggestion get an Galaxy S6 or S7, they are larger but due to being so thin are pretty easy to hold with one hand. You can work the whole screen but it's about the best you can get with one hand use and good battery life/camera/experience right now.

FYI touchwiz is now fine yes it sucked on the S1, S2, S4 and S5. (Wasn't bad on the S3).

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 20, 2016

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I knew not to get my hopes up about Night Mode again.

However, it looks like our long national quick toggle nightmare is over (in the next preview build):
http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/06/20/google-already-fixed-weird-quick-settings-behavior-last-android-n-dev-preview/

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Here's another Galaxy S7 newbie question:

Last night my phone took an update for the first time since buying it Saturday, and it got hot. Like, hotter than it does when fast charging. Almost alarmingly so.

The update going in said it would take 23 minutes, so maybe it was just due to working hard for half an hour, but is this normal? Like, it didn't burn my hand, but I've never had an iPhone get that hot before.

Also, holy crap is Twitter a data hog. Somehow it's chugged through .15 gigs just browsing during my downtime at work today. Guess I'm waiting until I'm on WiFi to use that very much. But it is nice getting a data breakdown in the Settings menu.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Soul Glo posted:

Here's another Galaxy S7 newbie question:

Last night my phone took an update for the first time since buying it Saturday, and it got hot. Like, hotter than it does when fast charging. Almost alarmingly so.

The update going in said it would take 23 minutes, so maybe it was just due to working hard for half an hour, but is this normal? Like, it didn't burn my hand, but I've never had an iPhone get that hot before.

Also, holy crap is Twitter a data hog. Somehow it's chugged through .15 gigs just browsing during my downtime at work today. Guess I'm waiting until I'm on WiFi to use that very much. But it is nice getting a data breakdown in the Settings menu.

I think Twitter is configured to autoplay videos by default, so check your settings cause it might be that?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah you have to set it not to autoplay videos or automatically load images, otherwise it'll eat up all your data.

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
Just today I went from a One M8 on one carrier to a Nexus 6p on another carrier. Everything about that is amazing, except for the fact that I can send texts to iPhone users, but I can no longer receive texts from them. I mean, a break from the billion texts from my wife has been nice, but ultimately I should stay in touch with her... It's not just her, my testing suggests that it's all iPhone users.

I had this problem when I switched from iPhone to Android like 4 years ago, but it was long since resolved on my M8 (and my M7 before that). Just to be sure, I did the "gently caress off, iMessage" thing from Apple and it confirms that I don't have iMessage association.

I have 2 active SIMs on the same number for now, until my old carrier deactivates the SIM in my M8. I do still receive texts from iPhone users on the M8.

Please tell me that everything will work fine on my 6p when the SIM in the M8 gets deactivated, because nothing else I have found is working.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is it common for the charging port on the HTC one m8 to break? I'm going to get it repaired since it isn't going to cost much and i can have the headphone port fixed at the same time but its annoying to be without a phone for a few days

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Dza posted:

Please tell me that everything will work fine on my 6p when the SIM in the M8 gets deactivated, because nothing else I have found is working.

I'm assuming you're porting your number? If so, then it seems only logical that SMS can only be routed to the SIM that's active. I'm actually surprised you can send messages out on a SIM that isn't ported yet.

That said, porting shouldn't take more than a couple hours in my experience.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So instead of having my phone fixed I'm thinking about just picking up the OnePlus 3 due to the price since my phone is pretty hosed anyway. I don't really know much about it other than it looks good for the cost since I don't fancy spending nearly £200 more for the nexus 6p. Any recommendations?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Jose posted:

Is it common for the charging port on the HTC one m8 to break? I'm going to get it repaired since it isn't going to cost much and i can have the headphone port fixed at the same time but its annoying to be without a phone for a few days

That's the first version heard of it in this thread, at least lately. Hope your phone comes back in decent condition; HTC doesn't have a great record of sending back phones undamaged from service centers. They work, just all dinged & pried up.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

RVProfootballer posted:

Holy poo poo. Not only that, it was a pretty mediocre phone when it was released...in 2011. :gonk:

No 5 year old phone is going to have up-to-date versions of Android, even a Nexus.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Dza posted:

I have 2 active SIMs on the same number for now, until my old carrier deactivates the SIM in my M8. I do still receive texts from iPhone users on the M8.

I don't know how you managed to do this since registration of the new SIM should render the old SIM inert immediately, but I guarantee this is the problem. The next time you power cycle your devices it should kick the old phone off your number and stop intercepting incoming SMS, if not you'll need to call your carrier so they can manually refresh the new SIM's registration to the network.

Edit: Just saw this was a port. Sounds like right now your number is receiving "mixed service", sort of a limbo between the two carriers that's supposed to be resolved during the porting process. If power cycling your devices doesn't work definitely give your carrier a call.

Jacobus Spades fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Holy poo poo. Not only that, it was a pretty mediocre phone when it was released...in 2011. :gonk:

No 5 year old phone is going to have up-to-date versions of Android, even a Nexus.

I had it, hah! Positives: not as completely awful as the HTC Thunderbolt, had an AMOLED+ 800x480 screen. Negatives: slow as hell (single core + early Touchwiz), half a gig of ram, stuck on Gingerbread

The Verizon Galaxy Nexus was everything the Charge should've been!