Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rakthar posted:

As opposed to your measured response, wherein you called me an autist for posting that ignoring Vampiric corruption is the way to go and treating rebels as a commodity you can ignore or pop when you want.

For the second time in two days, can you please keep this personal bullshit out of the thread? I don't like you, you don't like me, nobody needs to read about that poo poo in the Warhammer thread.

There is nothing personal about this. Stop willfully misrepresenting what other people say and maybe they'll stop yelling at you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Rakthar posted:

As opposed to your measured response, wherein you called me an autist for posting that ignoring Vampiric corruption is the way to go and treating rebels as a commodity you can ignore or pop when you want.

For the second time in two days, can you please keep this personal bullshit out of the thread?

You know when I agree with someone like Chomp8645 you're doing something wrong. You really did cook up a bunch of hyperbole for what was a cordial exchange there, don't try to act like the victim.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Thank you all for teaching me to cut Orc Boyz out of my life completely when Big 'Uns come around. :hydrogen:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Rakthar posted:

For the second time in two days, can you please keep this personal bullshit out of the thread? I don't like you, you don't like me, nobody needs to read about that poo poo in the Warhammer thread.

i dont like you either btw

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i dont like you either btw

Is it possible to post in a thread with people you don't like, and be quiet about it? Apparently not.

I guess I can claim the title of thread rear end in a top hat and leave folks to their discussion. Sorry for wasting folks time.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Verranicus posted:

You know when I agree with someone like Chomp8645 you're doing something wrong.

:eyepop:

.....Stellaris thread?

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Welp, I guess AI Chaos isn't completely useless after all. They went down like a wet fart in my Dwarf campaign, but now as VCs they're unstoppable. I managed to beat three full stacks and Archaeon, but less than 10 turns later they're back with four higher tier stacks and destroyed me.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Finding out that you as the player can't pool your hordes (at end of turn anyway) without big, unavoidable attrition was some bullshit tell you what.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Grimgor, what are you doing.

One or two more appear every turn. What the hell is he doing.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

iGestalt posted:

Brutally kunnin'

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It's funny because as a player Greenskins you are stuck at like two total agents basically until the End Times.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Chomp8645 posted:

It's funny because as a player Greenskins you are stuck at like two total agents basically until the End Times.

In my greenskin campaign I made an effort to be sure I could hire a bunch of Goblin Big Bosses early. The swarm of them basically annoy my enemies like the AI used to do to me when I played dwarfs. They are good at assassinating, blocking, breaking walls, stopping enemy agents, and clearing corruption. I don't think the shaman agents are nearly as useful, though I like them better as embedded heroes in an army. I think the greenskins really should have an 'orc boss' type of hero too.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

iGestalt posted:

my life dot jpg

luckily I have a level 15 thane that has been keeping them to a dull roar but goddamn

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

Finding out that you as the player can't pool your hordes (at end of turn anyway) without big, unavoidable attrition was some bullshit tell you what.

Yeah, to me it's more of an annoyance factor than something that actually hurts. The attrition isn't that huge and I tend to merge->rebuild after most battles anyway but just seeing the attrition marker on-screen is annoying on some level.

I saw a value for the horde infighting attrition radius and will probably try setting it to 0 next time I play chaos. I'd have preferred something more like a waaaagh meter that was negatively impacted by hordes being nearby rather than attrition since that's basically what Attila had and it wasn't as obnoxious.

edit: v I'd argue that having less than the full set is better if it means with a single agent you can do more things. That said, I haven't looked too far into the agent mechanics yet in terms of how everything is calculated. From pure gameplay observation I think there's some sort of class match-up system for agent vs. agent actions? Like some things are better at assassinating certain classes and worse at others? Not sure how the greenskin/chaos agents play into that. Beyond that, most of the "increase chance of ____" or "decrease chance of ____" are specified as _hidden in the agent skill node tables which is pure garbage in my opinion.

Decus fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 20, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

drat Dirty Ape posted:

In my greenskin campaign I made an effort to be sure I could hire a bunch of Goblin Big Bosses early. The swarm of them basically annoy my enemies like the AI used to do to me when I played dwarfs. They are good at assassinating, blocking, breaking walls, stopping enemy agents, and clearing corruption. I don't think the shaman agents are nearly as useful, though I like them better as embedded heroes in an army. I think the greenskins really should have an 'orc boss' type of hero too.

It's a little odd but right now Empire and Vampires are the only races with a full "set" of agents. Assassin, Wizard, Warrior, Priest.

Orcs don't have Priests or Warriors

Chaos doesn't have Priests or Assassins.

Dwarves don't have poo poo. Well ok, they have Warriors and two weird hybrid agents with the Engineer and Runesmith, but seriously they're the worst at agent poo poo.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

The AI thinks it is playing DnD and has formed adventuring parties to take back Gorssel from the vampire menace.

They wiped.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

ChickenWing posted:

curse my inefficient flesh

Okay that makes me feel better. I also don't really read stats, I just fly by whatever the unit text says, so for a while I was using great weapon troops as line infantry which I realized was a bad idea a very short time ago (and an even bad-er idea after reading the OP and finding out that great weapons are -only- good against heavy armour).

Does anyone here actually go full bore on fancy formations? I know in Empire I had a friend who used sawteeth to great effect.

I'll be honest unless the terrain is in some weird set up I'm not a very original commander.

I'll set up a line of troops, with a second line of troops behind them.

Then I'll have some sort of half decent unit (e.g. Greatswords) on each flank to act as an anchor.

I will then have crossbows and artillery behind all that, and have at least one unit of cavalry on each flank fairly far from the anchor unit.

The whole point is to try and get the enemy to engage my front line, and then use my second line of troops to protect the flanks, reinforce the main line, or march the main line and attack the enemy in the rear, which is also what the anchor units and cavalry can do.

Once you free up part of your line, you just roll it down the other end, taking the unit on the left and attacking the unit next to it in the rear.

There are a couple of old Roman formations that are interesting to learn for the theoretical side of things. Like you can create a big line but have second or third rows of infantry on just one flank, and you try to overwhelm that side first and then quickly go down the line.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Great epic battles are rare in my campaigns unfortunately but finally had a good one against mousseline. My empire 1.5 stack vs 3.5 undead. Took 3 attempts but finally triumphed. It's pretty cool how wildly battles can swing based on player tactical choices.

First battle was a disaster due to the reinforcement bug, 2nd time was loss due to poor tactical alignment, 3rd time was victorious thanks to smart crossbow use :)

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Fangz posted:

If you get anything other than skeletons and zombies then it's working for you.

I get the strong feeling that the raise dead bug is really raise dead failing to scale with unit sizes. There's at least one person who said that they never got anything and they were on Medium.

This could very well be. I'm on Ultra and had two early game battles on one site but I'm getting repeated opportunities to recruit Black Knight lances, Varghulfs, Terrorgheists, Vargheists, etc. If I had the money I could probably have 4 new Varghulfs and 3 new Terrorgheists alone by now just from that site.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Vargs posted:

The AI thinks it is playing DnD and has formed adventuring parties to take back Gorssel from the vampire menace.

They wiped.

Are you running the mod that turns off aggressive actions for the AI? It makes the AI tend towards doing this.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I think it's actually attrition that makes the AI group up heroes like that. I see little parties of weirdos like that all the time up in the chaos wastes and that's without running any mods. I've also had some Orc attacks against me as Vampires where armies included like 5 shamans each.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

madmac posted:

It's a little odd but right now Empire and Vampires are the only races with a full "set" of agents. Assassin, Wizard, Warrior, Priest.

Orcs don't have Priests or Warriors

Chaos doesn't have Priests or Assassins.

Dwarves don't have poo poo. Well ok, they have Warriors and two weird hybrid agents with the Engineer and Runesmith, but seriously they're the worst at agent poo poo.

Yeah, the empire is really spoiled for agent choices compared to the other factions.

Greenskins, dwarfs, and chaos each have 3 agent choices, but somehow the Empire gets like 6.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Vargs posted:

They wiped.

One Fighter, three Paladins, two mages.... what kind of party is that!!???

Wallet posted:

Are you running the mod that turns off aggressive actions for the AI? It makes the AI tend towards doing this.

I haven't used any mods and I have seen this happen a few times. But then again I've mainly seen it happen while playing Chaos myself so maybe madmac is on to something and it's corruption/attrition based.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Vargs posted:

They wiped.

This makes me want to do a gimmick campaign. Only allowed to recruit heroes, no troops. Garrisons are fair game.

Maybe restrict it only to single model units, get some steam tanks for the party :getin:

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

unwantedplatypus posted:

This makes me want to do a gimmick campaign. Only allowed to recruit heroes, no troops. Garrisons are fair game.

Maybe restrict it only to single model units, get some steam tanks for the party :getin:

You'd definitely need to mod the hero requirements. Empire can't realistically field heroes for dozens of turns, barring maybe a captain or two? But if you mod in so that any province capital can train all heroes in whatever number then it becomes more interesting.

Dammit now I want to do this too

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
How much better are the Savage Orc variants? I captured one of the Savage ork settlements (with an ally controlling the rest). Its a royal pain in the rear end to ferry these guys up from practically the south pole, so I'm wondering if its worth it to even bother with them.

The one battle I've tried them with they seemed to do well, along with Black orcs which I'm finally using in decent numbers, but definitely get chewed up by arrows pretty bad.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

unwantedplatypus posted:

Change every unit to a 1 model unit and alter their stats accordingly, sometime upping their health other times lowering it. Balance spells around that as well. I think I definitely want to try/play this.

edit: I think there was even a way to easily change the size of the models on the map but I'd have to look it up to remember.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Is there any benefit/feasibility as Empire to conquering Kislev in the early game? I'd like to play a gimmick game where the Norscan dwarves somehow survive.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
There was a guy earlier in the other thread who was running a DnD type party using Sigvald and some other stuff. Get stuck in with Sigvald, healing potions on everyone, use spells to debuff, etc. I've always wanted to try to recreate it but I'm not good enough at video games.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I can safely say that when I deign to bring my high level warrior priests into the melee, they realllllly gently caress poo poo up. It's almost cruel, the way they homerun dudes left and right.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
A lot of people here are saying using rebellions to get better public order and then gaining experience is cheesing. But, it's not really unintended, rather just a bit tedious, and there's a huge historical basis for it, nations letting a trouble town go crazy then role in your elite troops for some easy clean up. Hell, most armies loot defeated armies for supplies and funds too, even in a civil war.

Also that, it fits orc lore.
\/\/

1st_Panzer_Div. fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 20, 2016

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

A lot of people here are saying using rebellions to get better public order and then gaining experience is cheesing. But, it's not really unintended, rather just a bit tedious, and there's a huge historical basis for it, nations letting a trouble town go crazy then role in your elite troops for some easy clean up. Hell, most armies loot defeated armies for supplies and funds too, even in a civil war.

Dat's how I keep my REAL boyz' skills sharp while keepin pesky would-be gitz thinkin' theys the real git in check roight n proppa!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Utilizing to good effect a rebellion that happens anyway is something nobody here will call cheese. It's cheese when you intentionally allow a place that you are capable of stabilizing to repeatedly rebel in order to farm free xp/loot

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

Utilizing to good effect a rebellion that happens anyway is something nobody here will call cheese. It's cheese when you intentionally allow a place that you are capable of stabilizing to repeatedly rebel in order to farm free xp/loot

That's what I'm saying has historical basis and it may have balance issues, but it's an international mechanic, raiding your own land even has a tooltip.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

That's what I'm saying has historical basis and it may have balance issues, but it's an international mechanic.

There is historical basis for an empire intentionally allowing a region under it's control to repeatedly rebel when it had the means to stabilize the situation?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Ammanas posted:

Great epic battles are rare in my campaigns unfortunately but finally had a good one against mousseline. My empire 1.5 stack vs 3.5 undead. Took 3 attempts but finally triumphed. It's pretty cool how wildly battles can swing based on player tactical choices.

First battle was a disaster due to the reinforcement bug, 2nd time was loss due to poor tactical alignment, 3rd time was victorious thanks to smart crossbow use :)

I would say the lack of fighting is my biggest disappointment in the game so far.

The AI will absolutely not engage in any fight where they do not have a 1+ stack advantage. I can't even bait them into an ambush because the AI has total omniscience and will walk around ambushes, even if they aren't detected. "Wars" consist of me taking all the settlements and the AI running their stacks away to die to attrition once they have 0 cities left.

The biggest fights I get are my garrison troops vs 2 stacks. Those two stacks will always run immediately before I can catch them. Eventually they die to attrition.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Chomp8645 posted:

There is historical basis for an empire intentionally allowing a region under it's control to repeatedly rebel when it had the means to stabilize the situation?

You could possibly look at something like the Spartans, I suppose.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Xae posted:

I would say the lack of fighting is my biggest disappointment in the game so far.

The AI will absolutely not engage in any fight where they do not have a 1+ stack advantage. I can't even bait them into an ambush because the AI has total omniscience and will walk around ambushes, even if they aren't detected. "Wars" consist of me taking all the settlements and the AI running their stacks away to die to attrition once they have 0 cities left.

The biggest fights I get are my garrison troops vs 2 stacks. Those two stacks will always run immediately before I can catch them. Eventually they die to attrition.

dunno if you're modding but I have never had this issue.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Mr. Wookums posted:

dunno if you're modding but I have never had this issue.

It happens with or without mods.

But I get the feeling the campaign map is really buggy. I randomly get 1GB/s memory leaks on the campaign map and I don't get Raise Dead battles ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I think "won't fight without 1+ stack advantage" is an exaggeration but the AI is definitely a big bitch boy who will run from a fair fight like it's trying to talk to it about Jesus. If it can't gang up on your army to the point you have a third of the bar or less it would rather just not fight at all and run around the countryside making a big rear end in a top hat of itself.

• Locked thread