Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

LGD posted:

Many of the people in this thread had money in SC at one point, and even those who didn't probably have made a stupid crowdfunding mistake- i.e. I backed the Deluxe Exalted 3E Kickstarter, which has been about as much of a shitshow as a Kickstarter can be while still (probably) eventually delivering the goods.

Oh! Oh! That's me.

I'm the Deluxe Exalted 3E backer. AMA.

Edit: In honor of my shame, have a gamer cat.

Danakir fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

Have a deep respect for her

that is definitely me, friend

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Scruffpuff posted:

Misery keeps you thin.

fnox
May 19, 2013

tuo posted:

I'm on a similar Kickstarter (not regarding scale, but delay). Started out great, with a delivery goal of within half a year after backing. It is now over two years after backing, and most of the backers realized that the guy who started it has no clue about how to run a business whatsoever (allthough he used to have a business...until you talk to people in the industry who know him and give you advice to stay clear), and obviously got major help when setting up the kickstarter. Communication is a mess, because he constantly has "mental issues", everytime he talks about how he negotiates the next, important step in fullfilling he goes into hiding for another three weeks before (after all the backer riot due to no news) telling that again he was not able to come to terms with someone in the production chain, and everything takes even longer.

Sad thing is: it was my first Kickstarter, and I guess it will be my last, and from the backers that still care and post in the comments there, quite a few say that this experience is enough for them to never crowdfund something again. The crowdfunding platforms should take notice.

IMHO, crowdfunding in a couple of years will be completely different. You can feel it now, already. If you ask me, three or four years ago, Blackroom would have been funded within day one (even with the lacking stuff on display). The fact that this thing tanked is an indication that people became much more hesitant to back "dreams" or follow a name they know who was famous in the past. (I thought about backing it, allthough I already was skeptical of KS/Crowdfunding, but when I saw what they had to show and what the money they asked was for, I could only laugh myself out the door).

I think that, for Kickstarter to progress, they need to change the way pledges work. Pledges should not be an amount you give up right, if you pledge $1000, you are debited $1000 from your account, and then Kickstarter should hold that, of which, a base amount is credited to the campaign funds the moment it is funded, and the rest is credited monthly up until the day of delivery (ALL Kickstarters should have an estimated delivery date). You can't ask for a refund for anything until the day of delivery passes, but you can suspend the monthly pledge.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

tuo posted:

"They forced me to do it!!!"

Creature Caster

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jeremyglen/creature-caster-first-wave/description

Don't judge me again, okay? I make good BBQ ribs and I'll prove it!!!

That sucks, man.
They look awesome.

I was considering backing Kingdom Death (http://kingdomdeath.com/) way back, but gave up on it because i was out of money at the time.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

is that some sort of procedurally generated miniature maker? Cause I don't blame you for being stupid enough to invest in it, that sounds awesome as poo poo.

The guy himself seems to have awesome talent regarding scultping/digital scultping etc. I give him that. The stuff he does looks great...in JPEGs. Hopefully, he delivers sooner or later.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Catte from my walk earlier:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

who did you scam

Sold my original Rift before it shipped for a good profit.
Got a gree Rift CV1.

Sperglord posted:

Dropfleet's communication sucks. Really sucks...

Really? They've been pushing out sprue pictures and stuff and all teh stuff from the playtests days was splurged all over the net. They seem to be doing ok to me.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

Have a deep respect for her

It's only begrudging

:negative:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah I've been getting regular DFC updates. Also, the head guy seems nice and not like a semolina-filled condom with a face and black sweater badly drawn on.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

orcinus posted:

Catte from my walk earlier:

Ewok catte

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Man, dropfleet looks really cool.

I'm kind of glad I'm finding out about this stuff after the fact. I could be out a lot more money to various kickstarters than I am now.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah I've been getting regular DFC updates. Also, the head guy seems nice and not like a semolina-filled condom with a face and black sweater badly drawn on.

Beet, someone said "head guy".
Show him your wares.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

TTerrible posted:

Really? They've been pushing out sprue pictures and stuff and all teh stuff from the playtests days was splurged all over the net. They seem to be doing ok to me.

I think of it the other way around, we get sprues infrequently, but very little concrete information on the state of the game: sprue production vs. goal; state of rules; state of printing, etc.

So, I have high worries about them delivering in the next two months, because there is little concrete information on how they are now in terms of meeting the production / packing goals.

So far, the best communication is from Infinity, which does weekly updates.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

orcinus posted:

That sucks, man.
They look awesome.

I was considering backing Kingdom Death (http://kingdomdeath.com/) way back, but gave up on it because i was out of money at the time.

When I was in full "I have to back stuff, it's what you do nowadays" mode, I also saw Kingdom Death and was sad that the backing period was over.

Couple of time later, after reading on some blogs what went down with that KS, my sadness went away. Still, they produce some crazy stuff.

At least the only other thing I backed, I got a wheel nut from.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

fnox posted:

I think that, for Kickstarter to progress, they need to change the way pledges work. Pledges should not be an amount you give up right, if you pledge $1000, you are debited $1000 from your account, and then Kickstarter should hold that, of which, a base amount is credited to the campaign funds the moment it is funded, and the rest is credited monthly up until the day of delivery (ALL Kickstarters should have an estimated delivery date). You can't ask for a refund for anything until the day of delivery passes, but you can suspend the monthly pledge.

And additionally, the amount pledged to a certain point needs to be publicly available information (as it influences the success of the project). However, you cannot hold funds at day of delivery - Kickstarter is not about guaranteeing projects are successful. They are only a medium to get project starts the funds to attempt to succeed. If a project creator is not successful in the project, then perhaps there can be a mechanism to allow recompense to a backer, but Kickstarter is only a middleman (they only handle a transaction between the creator/backer). Doing it your way makes them liable in the event of a wrong-doing or project failure in which the creator has not made every reasonable attempt to provide remedy or conclusion to the backer.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

This is the neck they used for imps in Doom 3.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

spacetoaster posted:

*looks at Ben's website* That is a lie.

Even though I am scum. I cannot bring myself to post Ben's childhood photos.

He has been very fat his entire life.

Lesnick makes me think of a chunk of dialogue from Manhunter:

Manhunter posted:

Will Graham: This started from an abused kid, a battered infant... There's something terrible about...

Jack Crawford: What are you, sympathizing with this guy?

Will Graham: Absolutely... My heart bleeds for him, as a child. Someone took a kid and manufactured a monster. At the same time, as an adult, he's irredeemable. He butchers whole families to pursue trivial fantasies... As an adult, someone should blow the sick gently caress out of his socks...
I feel so sorry for the child Lesnick was. The problems he had that put him in hospital, losing the sight in one eye, I feel terrible for that little boy. The adult is an irredeemable piece of poo poo, using whatever tiny little bits of power he can acquire to make himself feel better by putting others down. I don't feel at all sorry for the adult Lesnick because other people have gone through bad stuff without becoming assholes. At some point, as with his weight, he's chosen to be this horrible thing. gently caress him.

Sunswipe fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 20, 2016

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

peter gabriel posted:

I am unsure what has occurred here

You are missing out on a very good SciFi TV series.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/334235/who-else-wants-to-fly-something-big#latest

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/334205/cat-and-dragonfly-sales-raise-433-529-in-one-day

HEY GUYS, LOOK HOW GOOD OUR CUSTOMER SUPPORT IS, VERY HELPFUL

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

So Sandi got her amd-mail-address back, which she uses for alts, after her husband send that drat letter, and she had to apologize to AMD during E3 (Operation "Chicken")? That's nice :)

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

How has no one turned this into the Joker yet?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Also, Sandi, you misspelled Dragonfly in your signature, pls fix

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

tuo posted:

I don't get that "drat Americans" thing because I haven't been on here for too long...

Regarding the recipe: I'll do, gonna get some ribs tomorrow and do it over the next couple of days. (pure text recipe is boring IMHO). Haven't made them this year anyway. It's actually very easy, and in the US you also get the basic ingredients more easily. Try to find a butcher here who knows what "baby back rips" are and who doesn't immidiately call the police if you say you "need them, by tomorrow".

It was mainly me trying to be funny? But, apparently on the Internet, we are all loudmouthed, heavily armed neobarbarians, or so I have been told.

Sounds lovely, recipewise. Although I am sure I will be hating you as I look at the pictures.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Sperglord posted:

I think of it the other way around, we get sprues infrequently, but very little concrete information on the state of the game: sprue production vs. goal; state of rules; state of printing, etc.

So, I have high worries about them delivering in the next two months, because there is little concrete information on how they are now in terms of meeting the production / packing goals.

So far, the best communication is from Infinity, which does weekly updates.

I guess so. Latest email mentioned they'd started packing I think? I trust in Hawk. :unsmith:

Lladre posted:

You are missing out on a very good SciFi TV series.

Yes. A very good one. Watch it, spacecat.

legion989
Jan 18, 2013

Sperglord posted:

That isn't quite the same parallel. CIG has used Derek Smart to deflect away criticism of the game. The tactic is to defeat the criticism by associating it with an unsavory person. This tactic has is used very often in many contexts, so we shouldn't be too hard on backers for not realizing it.

I suppose, I meant more for Shitizens than CIG. So many of them see Derek and just go "OH WHO CARES, HES ALWAYS WRONG AND FULL OF poo poo", regardless of whether his points hold weight or not.

ideate
Aug 20, 2002

Drangonfly

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yep, looks like CS went back into the storeroom and found the jpegs he was looking for.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

tuo posted:

"They forced me to do it!!!"

Creature Caster

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jeremyglen/creature-caster-first-wave/description

Don't judge me again, okay? I make good BBQ ribs and I'll prove it!!!

Reading the comments on this is pretty great

quote:

Zoroaster, Demilich of Valoria 3 days ago
Honestly I'd much rather get what I pledged for as soon as possible than get anything extra that would delay shipping any further.
A reasonable stance

quote:

Ulrich Witschaß on June 8
Man, we clearly now nothing about shipment manager development :( (*tm)
Undercover goon

quote:

Dennis Damsteeg 5 days ago
For over two years I've waited for this to finish up. These models better be worth it. I wouldn't hurt for something like an extra goody in the way of saying "sorry it took so long, glad you didn't die of old age in the meantime".
Two years? A real project takes at least 6. Plebian.

quote:

Henning Hobøl on May 19
So another update with no specific information. Soon, soon, soon is all I get from this (and that’s how it’s been for God knows how long…) And yet it’s considered a great update by the loyal “good vibes” crowd. Yeah, whatever…
haha

quote:

Toby Alderton on May 18
Glad for an update, just to know the project hasn't been abandoned. That said, it's a shame there's no actual evidence of progress. Hopefully we'll get some new photos from the production facility soon, or have the shipping manager sorted out as Jeremy says is happening.
hahahaha

quote:

Pete Dunn on May 18
Lwarren16 - You do realise there is no actual new information in the update?
No word on how much of the project has been produced, prospective completion date, etc
Yet it is a 'Great update"
It's also interesting how anyone who has a differing view from you is "bitching", "entitled", "trolls" and "whining". Very adult.
This is like the twilight zone episode where we realize it was Creature Creator all along.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64SEamI5vgA&t=230s

:gary:

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

peter gabriel posted:

JAMES BELLEND

Postin' from a few pages back but hahaha

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Samizdata posted:

It was mainly me trying to be funny? But, apparently on the Internet, we are all loudmouthed, heavily armed neobarbarians, or so I have been told.

Sounds lovely, recipewise. Although I am sure I will be hating you as I look at the pictures.

I don't want you to hate me. I will do my best that the pictures are as less hateable as possible! (if that is not a valid english sentence (it seems off to me), I am very sorry, but my friends that speak that language had to leave my country (Germany, Heidelberg/Mannheim), I am getting more and more rusty in it by the day, sadly, as it is not my native tongue).

E: I am also mostly joking...I just can't translate it very well. So the best idea is to not take me serious.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

SelenicMartian posted:

This is the neck they used for imps in Doom 3.

I think it got used a lot in Deep Space Nine as well.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

tuo posted:

I don't want you to hate me. I will do my best that the pictures are as less hateable as possible! (if that is not a valid english sentence (it seems off to me), I am very sorry, but my friends that speak that language had to leave my country (Germany, Heidelberg/Mannheim), I am getting more and more rusty in it by the day, sadly, as it is not my native tongue).

E: I am also mostly joking...I just can't translate it very well. So the best idea is to not take me serious.

It pleases me that you closed all the parentheses correctly here.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
I backed the new Torment game on KS (the only thing I've backed as well) and I would be annoyed at the length of time it's taking, except I keep forgetting that it exists. Plus the beta was pretty fun and interesting, so we'll see how that translates to the full game.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

tuo posted:

I'm on a similar Kickstarter (not regarding scale, but delay). Started out great, with a delivery goal of within half a year after backing. It is now over two years after backing, and most of the backers realized that the guy who started it has no clue about how to run a business whatsoever (allthough he used to have a business...until you talk to people in the industry who know him and give you advice to stay clear), and obviously got major help when setting up the kickstarter. Communication is a mess, because he constantly has "mental issues", everytime he talks about how he negotiates the next, important step in fullfilling he goes into hiding for another three weeks before (after all the backer riot due to no news) telling that again he was not able to come to terms with someone in the production chain, and everything takes even longer.

Sad thing is: it was my first Kickstarter, and I guess it will be my last, and from the backers that still care and post in the comments there, quite a few say that this experience is enough for them to never crowdfund something again. The crowdfunding platforms should take notice.

IMHO, crowdfunding in a couple of years will be completely different. You can feel it now, already. If you ask me, three or four years ago, Blackroom would have been funded within day one (even with the lacking stuff on display). The fact that this thing tanked is an indication that people became much more hesitant to back "dreams" or follow a name they know who was famous in the past. (I thought about backing it, allthough I already was skeptical of KS/Crowdfunding, but when I saw what they had to show and what the money they asked was for, I could only laugh myself out the door).

Might I ask which Kickstarter?

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Samizdata posted:

loudmouthed, heavily armed neobarbarian

this describes me irl

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Maw posted:

It pleases me that you closed all the parentheses correctly here.

Thanks, I do my best that the posts at least compile;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

This Nyxt fellow is apparently broadcasting from his little brother's room.

Look at that wallpaper trim.

• Locked thread