Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Kinfolk Jones posted:

What speeds for the buffer is everyone using for UC/UP/Wax (845 in my case)?

3-4 :haw:

that probably isn't helpful, about 30% from stopped on my Griots DA :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Washed all three black cars yesterday. Woke up this morning and a strong wind has covered them in pollen and bullshit from my maple trees. :suicide:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

always be closing posted:

Washed all three black cars yesterday. Woke up this morning and a strong wind has covered them in pollen and bullshit from my maple trees. :suicide:

If you have a good wax a simple rinse should get them back to looking great again.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
The thick seedlike things that get into the cowl and poo poo that really aggravates me.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

My Volvo had one really hazy headlight and one decent one. I polished them both out using the 3M kit to decent results. The lovely one looks way better but not 100%. There's spots where I could have spent more time polishing but I guess I bitched out and wasn't thorough enough. Looks good enough for me, though. :v:

Before:

After:

I was going to wash the car but my good friend bulging disc stopped by to say hello so it's going to look like poo poo with sanding slurry on it for a little bit. :argh: I'm going to try using something to coat it to give it UV protection. There was something on a detailing forum about spar urethane and mineral spirits which I might try (unless somebody has a better suggestion for the same price). Guy got a couple years out of it which is better than a couple months.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/19021-headlight-restoration-new-uv-sealant-idea.html

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 23, 2016

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm surprised that UV protection didn't come with the kit.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

It's hard to find a good reviewed product for that. Most just deal with the hazing but would gladly let it come back again (quickly) so you have to buy more of their products. :v: I think clear coating them is the permanent solution but $$$ and :effort: to remove them from the car so I'll try the $20 wipe on fix.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
I have a guy who just reported aboard with a 94 dodge diesel pickup. Structurally looks in great shape, almost no rust on the undercarriage but the paint is thrashed. The clear coat is bubbling up everywhere and the exposed paint is oxidized. Paint has flaked off in speckles to primer in some places and he has a couple of rock chips down to the metal. How would i go about removing the damaged clear coat without removing the good paint and start fixing the rest without breaking the bank. A new paint job up in Ketchikan AK is more than the truck is worth and he would like to keep the truck from rusting out in the land of liquid sunshine.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Sounds like a job for rust converter and Rustoleum and stop trying to fight nature.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

Melthir posted:

I have a guy who just reported aboard with a 94 dodge diesel pickup. Structurally looks in great shape, almost no rust on the undercarriage but the paint is thrashed. The clear coat is bubbling up everywhere and the exposed paint is oxidized. Paint has flaked off in speckles to primer in some places and he has a couple of rock chips down to the metal. How would i go about removing the damaged clear coat without removing the good paint and start fixing the rest without breaking the bank. A new paint job up in Ketchikan AK is more than the truck is worth and he would like to keep the truck from rusting out in the land of liquid sunshine.

This probably made the rounds here... Rustoleum and elbow grease.

http://www.rickwrench.com/index79master.htm?http://www.rickwrench.com/50dollarpaint.html

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Washed my truck today for the first time this year. Hm, I don't think I've washed it in a year... Maybe not.

Used Eagle One Evolution wash since I got it on discount. With some washing by hand it did a good job. Did the panels a few times (rinse, suds, scrub, rinse, suds, rinse, move to next panel) then went over the whole truck with just suds and rinse. I used about 3/4 a bottle, which kind of sucks because it claims you can do up to 16 cars. Looks good for now, though, and I'm about to put their Element Shield on there to protect it for now. Sometime this summer I'll get some clay and do a deep clean. I've also got some Griots wax and sealant (two different bottles, not an all-in-one) I'll use them too.

Also have no wheel cleaner, so gently caress it running dirty-ish wheels :effort:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Update: Applied the Element Shield per Eagle One's directions. Looked great, but after it dried there's water spots everywhere. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Was cleaning the black car today, cloudy and nice. Even a couple of rain drops.... just as I'm about to dry the car the sun peeks and everything gets hot as gently caress in 3 seconds. Thanks.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 6, 2016

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Goober Peas posted:

Coming up on 10 months since I applied Meguiar's Paint Protect. Still beading well. The downside is that the car seems to be getting dirty progressively faster and/or needing washing more often. Will definitely be stripping it down after 12 months. I'm on the fence as to whether I'll reapply, it really depends on how hard it is to strip. It certainly applied easier than a regular paste or liquid wax. It's met expectations, and would recommend to folks like my parents who wash their car irregularly and are lucky to apply wax once a year. For a gearhead, 12 months is a long time to go without removing surface contaminates regardless of the product longevity.

I've also noticed that it's harder to find locally -- Walmart had it last time I was in there, but none of the Autozones here stock it anymore.

Last check-in on Meguiar's Paint Protect - It still beaded reasonably well after 12 months +. As mentioned before, after about 10 months the car seemed to be attracting dirt and needed washing at least once a week to look good. That's the only negative I have.

I stripped it this afternoon - Dawn dishsoap took it off, so even that lived up to promises. I followed with claybar, polish, and then decided to reapply the Paint Protect. Car looks amazing (no pics, I'm exhausted since I did all of this after 4 hours of yardwork). As a bonus, I still have more than 1/2 a bottle left after two applications.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Do not park near Italian Cypress

These are very popular here in southern california, and they will poo poo all over your car. I am still picking pieces of branches from cracks when we got the santa ana winds back in October.

gently caress these trees. They will aerosolize their sap, engulfing your car in a bad spray job.

I just spent all day washing, clay baring, and rewaxing my stupid black car. I have died and I am dead.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Lol some subhuman shitlord keyed the tail gate on the truck. I guess whenever I get around to correcting the paint on it, I'll have to add Dr Colorchip to the mix.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I caught my Meguiar's DFC 6" cutting pad on a bit of trim, and it instantly dismembered itself in pretty terminal fashion.

Should I just buy another one, or does someone make something better for the £15 it looks like they cost? Or as good but cheaper, for that matter.

My softer pads are still ok, it's just the firmer one I need.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I've been using Meguiar's Hot Rims Wheel Cleaner on my previous car, and I was using it on my GTI today. After I was done, I actually read the package and it says it's not safe for use on painted wheels and brake parts. Well, the GTI factory wheels are partly painted black, and the calipers are painted red.

What should I use instead? I would just go buy something, but you guys recommended me this and it works really well, so I'd rather get another recommendation than go in blind.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I've been using Meguiar's Hot Rims Wheel Cleaner on my previous car, and I was using it on my GTI today. After I was done, I actually read the package and it says it's not safe for use on painted wheels and brake parts. Well, the GTI factory wheels are partly painted black, and the calipers are painted red.

What should I use instead? I would just go buy something, but you guys recommended me this and it works really well, so I'd rather get another recommendation than go in blind.
Are you sure? That very link says " Safe for all factory, clear-coated and painted wheels".

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

InitialDave posted:

Are you sure? That very link says " Safe for all factory, clear-coated and painted wheels".

Oh, I didnt actually read that link, I used it just to show what I was using in case anyone's had experience actually using it on painted stuff. I can assure you the two bottles of the stuff I have in my possession (maybe its not EXACTLY that product?) states not to use it on painted stuff.

e: sorry for any confusion :(

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hmm, I don't think I've ever encountered a wheel cleaner that says not to use on painted components.

A lot are not healthy for chrome, aluminium, or other polished/plated finishes, but proper paint is generally very resilient. Are you sure it doesn't mean freshly painted surfaces?

I've used the Meguiar's cleaner and other, more aggressive, cleaners on all kinds of painted wheels with no issue.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Here's three pics to help, hopefully.

The blue is your safest bet, then "up" from there.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Protip: If you're not using Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax, you're behind the times.

So, I get Zymol products for free. I don't use Zymol wax because it's not as good as other brands. Now I'm not using Zymol's Field Glaze or Spray Detailer because Quik Wax is worlds better. I don't know whether this is :smith: or :unsmith:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InitialDave posted:

I caught my Meguiar's DFC 6" cutting pad on a bit of trim, and it instantly dismembered itself in pretty terminal fashion.

Should I just buy another one, or does someone make something better for the £15 it looks like they cost? Or as good but cheaper, for that matter.

My softer pads are still ok, it's just the firmer one I need.
Anyone?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Buy new pads, that's always the answer. Firm ones are always replaced more frequently than soft ones, the firm ones are the ones that see all the work. I like Chemical Guys' Hex Pads, if you can get them over theres.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meatpimp posted:

Buy new pads, that's always the answer. Firm ones are always replaced more frequently than soft ones, the firm ones are the ones that see all the work. I like Chemical Guys' Hex Pads, if you can get them over theres.
Yeah, my question was which pads.

I can get the hexlogic pads, yes, and they're a little cheaper than the Meguiar's ones anyway. Would you say a green "heavy polishing" or orange "medium-heavy cutting" pad is the equivalent to the burgundy Meguiar's "cutting" pad?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I am picking up my new car sometime this week and getting the car bra 3M film on the leading edges but beyond that what do you recommend I do to try and protect the paint? It doesn't need to be amazing since it will be my daily driver but I would still like to get a head start on keeping the salt and crap at bay come winter.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Protip: If you're not using Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax, you're behind the times.

So, I get Zymol products for free. I don't use Zymol wax because it's not as good as other brands. Now I'm not using Zymol's Field Glaze or Spray Detailer because Quik Wax is worlds better. I don't know whether this is :smith: or :unsmith:

Do you just spray it on and leave it?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BigPaddy posted:

I am picking up my new car sometime this week and getting the car bra 3M film on the leading edges but beyond that what do you recommend I do to try and protect the paint? It doesn't need to be amazing since it will be my daily driver but I would still like to get a head start on keeping the salt and crap at bay come winter.
A good detailing session first thing will help with dirt etc, but yes, a bra is the only thing to make much difference in defending against stone chips.

Is it new new, or used? In either case, I would at least claybar it and apply a wax or sealant. Whether you want to include compounding and polishing steps is going to depend on how you feel about the finish you have when you first get it, in my opinion.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

It is new new as in the paint only finished drying about a week ago.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, my question was which pads.

I can get the hexlogic pads, yes, and they're a little cheaper than the Meguiar's ones anyway. Would you say a green "heavy polishing" or orange "medium-heavy cutting" pad is the equivalent to the burgundy Meguiar's "cutting" pad?

Gotcha, I don't have the knowledge you seek. :(

BigPaddy posted:

BigPaddy posted:

It is new new as in the paint only finished drying about a week ago.

If it's that new, I'd let it have a good month or so in the sun to cure out like the damned, then clear bra it. I'd worry about covering it up within a couple weeks of painting, I'd bet it's still off-gassing (to a minuscule degree, probably, but I wouldn't want to take a chance of color difference between clear bra and non-clear bra areas, since that would defeat the purpose of protecting the paint with a clear bra).

Bape Culture posted:

Do you just spray it on and leave it?

You don't even leave it, just spray it on, turn your towel and wipe it off. The level of smoothness it gives with no effort is loving cheating.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I really sperged out and spent 10 hours in total learning / doing poo poo on the black car. Foam guns are really nice. Then clayed, compounded (only had scratch X 2.0 though) and surprisingly made some nasty marks some rear end in a top hat put into the paint almost go away. So did the whole car except for the roof and the lower front. I probably need better compounds and polishes to get it perfect. Then Autoglym paint seal to finish. Seems to give a nice finish.

Then I decided to clean the wheel housing, blacken the plastic and give the rims a once over. But the rims are so much work to get perfect that I'll probably do it when it's time to swap to the winter set. They look great anyway, I'm just OCD:ing.

At least the car is finally at a "maintainable" state where I know the paint is good enough, it's sealed and much more easy to clean. At least the next time I got most tools and decent knowledge to do this right from the start so I don't have to find time and chase the detailing.

Edit: And yeah, Meguiar's quick detailer is really nice to have.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

MrOnBicycle posted:

Edit: And yeah, Meguiar's quick detailer is really nice to have.

Their detailer is alright, but I don't see a difference between that and any other detailer. The Ultimate Quik Wax, though? :swoon:

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g17516-ultimate-quik-wax/

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

meatpimp posted:

Their detailer is alright, but I don't see a difference between that and any other detailer. The Ultimate Quik Wax, though? :swoon:

I bought some of this for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I have to agree. It's ridiculously good.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

meatpimp posted:

Oops I meant the Quik Wax. I use the Quik Detailer when drying the car, which it's pretty good for. The quick wax is indeed amazing. I should use it more.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So uh, tried cleaning the wagon today since the dealership's "detailing department" did a poo poo job cleaning it. Everything was going well, cleaned it with some turtle wax stuff and a sponge, used a meguiers clay bar kit on it and tried using eagle one nanowax on it. Apparently it doesn't like being applied in 95-100% humidity, because it wouldn't get completely dry no matter how many microfiber towels I went through and dried like complete poo poo. What is my best bet for getting it off and trying again? Washing the car with dawn or?

Also, is this a problem with waxes and extreme humidity in general? Because a friend was using meguiers gold liquid wax next to me and had his own issues.

Also, Superior's aquagloss is amazing for interior detailing. Leaves a nice glossy finish on everything with no film or residue and your car smells like melons afterwards. :kimchi:

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anyone here use Auto Glym brand detailing products? I just bought some of their stuff since they were on sale and I am very impressed with them so far. Love the car wash especially, it smells amazing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

zapplez posted:

Anyone here use Auto Glym brand detailing products? I just bought some of their stuff since they were on sale and I am very impressed with them so far. Love the car wash especially, it smells amazing.
I've used some Autoglym stuff before, yeah, and can't say I had any complaints. I tend to use Meguiar's stuff by default now.

That's not a reflection on the quality of Autoglym or anything, it's just how my "oh, this is good, I'll keep using this company's stuff" experiences have turned out.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

zapplez posted:

Their convertible top cleaner cost more and wasn't as good as 303 on my Miata's vinyl roof, but a lot of their other stuff is excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

So I've started to use Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner on my car, and I can tell you that after experimenting with just about every brand on the market, it's the only stuff that actually works as advertised as a true no-touch wheel cleaner. Plus it smells like citrus too :3: