Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

We can't all have nice fancy steels, our club ones are off getting repaired after a pewter tip welded on to blunt it broke.

I don't know why they thought it was a good idea either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

it can't be as long and thin as those clown rapier of the late 17th c
how even do you wear one of those loving things

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Depending on the question it may already have been asked in the Military History thread but you can ask it here too. There's a degree of overlap.

I suppose just general impressions. Are the arms and armour appropriate for the setting?

The North has a lot of cuir bouilli, while various mails and plates seem common elsewhere. The Boltons seem to have morion helmets, which I thought was many centuries removed from the great helms seen elsewhere on the show.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Frosted Flake posted:

The Boltons seem to have morion helmets...
the Black Legend makes another appearance. :(

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
also for people who might not have thought about this, the more complex your hilt is the more time you will spend sanding and oiling the goddamned thing. Especially if you get rained on at any point.

This hilt terrifies me now:
http://arms-n-armor.com/rapier151.html

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Today I learned the real name of what I always just called conquistador helmets. Thanks thread!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

HEY GAL posted:

also for people who might not have thought about this, the more complex your hilt is the more time you will spend sanding and oiling the goddamned thing. Especially if you get rained on at any point.

This hilt terrifies me now:
http://arms-n-armor.com/rapier151.html

I groan whenever I have to wash a whisk while doing dishes, I couldn't imagine

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ainsley McTree posted:

I groan whenever I have to wash a whisk while doing dishes, I couldn't imagine

now imagine it rusts

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

so do you think i can hit a dude in the head with the pommel of my sword, even though it doesn't weigh a whole lot? that is not tankchat
At worst it'll be like one of those self-defense markers Cold Steel sells to mall ninjas. Which is to say, compared to your hand it's less likely to break when you need to beat a guy up, and since there's an exposed nut on it, it might even break a bone if you hit them just right.

Pommel responsibly.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Pommel to the dome will gently caress you right up, no question.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I mean, keep in mind that a billiard ball is one of the stereotypical "grab a thing to smack somebody" bar weapon, and it weighs around 6 oz.

Your sword weighs about 6 times that, and that's before we factor in that your pommel, probably, has a much smaller surface area on the business end than a billiard ball.

So yeah, napkin physics math says that it should gently caress somebody up pretty loving bad if you crack them with it.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Hazzard posted:

We can't all have nice fancy steels, our club ones are off getting repaired after a pewter tip welded on to blunt it broke.

I don't know why they thought it was a good idea either.

WHAT

That is the dumbest metalworking poo poo I have heard in quite a while!!!

That is extremely dangerous

Frosted Flake posted:

I suppose just general impressions. Are the arms and armour appropriate for the setting?

It's a fantasy setting, they can wear whatever they want.

quote:

The North has a lot of cuir bouilli, while various mails and plates seem common elsewhere. The Boltons seem to have morion helmets, which I thought was many centuries removed from the great helms seen elsewhere on the show.

I mean if you want to start analyzing arms and armor, the helmets on the show are, in the examples I can recall, very loving dumb. Great helms stopped being used during the 14th c, morions don't show up until the 16th. So not "many centuries" but more than 100 years for sure.

HEY GAL posted:

how much bashing can you do with a 2.4 lb sword, that's not a whole lot of sword

This is 2.25 lbs.

http://arms-n-armor.com/rapier219.html

Your sword is fine, stop fretting.

Rodrigo Diaz fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 20, 2016

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

I mean if you want to start analyzing arms and armor, the helmets on the show are, in the examples I can recall, very loving dumb. Great helms stopped being used during the 14th c, morions don't show up until the 16th. So not "many centuries" but more than 100 years for sure.

I always groan when someone fights a duel with their visor down. That is a really good choice if you don't want to see poo poo while fighting, and getting winded as fast as you can.

Also, the swordplay on the show is subpar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN30YMzja6Y

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

That's the kind of thing I was wondering about. Did the morian, for instance arise because of specific circumstances, or because of fashion?

If it was developed because of the push of pike or terico, then it doesn't seem to fit in. If it was fashionable, I don't suppose they is any reason why it wouldn't exist in the world of GoT. Of course it's just fantasy.

Is there anything in the arms and armour that stands out as being very good or bad to you? The mongol stand-ins using khopesh instead of bows sticks out to me.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Speaking of bows, the Bolton archers seem to use some sort of bamboo backed bows, that remind me of Yumis. Gotta ask Koppedrayer if he supplied them.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

You unscrew the pommel and throw it at your opponent:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kemper Boyd posted:

I always groan when someone fights a duel with their visor down. That is a really good choice if you don't want to see poo poo while fighting, and getting winded as fast as you can.

Also, the swordplay on the show is subpar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN30YMzja6Y
pappenheim took his entire helmet off to fight, but we all know what happened to him

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

This is 2.25 lbs.

sword small

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

WHAT

That is the dumbest metalworking poo poo I have heard in quite a while!!!

That is extremely dangerous

Thank Mr Danelli. Aside from this work on the point, the sword is wonderful.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hazzard posted:

danelli put a swelled tip on my sword when i asked him, wtf is this poo poo

send me your address and i'll goddamn mail you some blunts that don't fit me, jfc

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

That's the kind of thing I was wondering about. Did the morian, for instance arise because of specific circumstances, or because of fashion?

I would expect it to be a combination of both, but I don't really know, not my period.

quote:

Is there anything in the arms and armour that stands out as being very good or bad to you? The mongol stand-ins using khopesh instead of bows sticks out to me.

I haven't looked at the show in a year or so but everyone's swords are too big. Also Jon Snow's sword pommel looks like a free toy you'd find in a box of cereal.

And like Kemper says the sword fighting is extremely bad.

Hazzard posted:

Are you sure he put pewter on there? Because that seems like the kind of idiot move that someone who hasn't worked with steel before would do.

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
This is second hand from our kind-of teacher, but he took the steps to the guy who fixed the black fencer hilts. This smith said the blunted tip put on was pewter, so now they're on a plane to Ukraine to get fixed.

Now this could all be wrong.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

This is very confusing because Marco Danelli is by all accounts an experienced smith and HEMA person who lives in London.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Could there be another Danelli working, or someone using his name to get work they shouldn't?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
hazzard, what--in as specific terms as possible--did they tell you?

Siivola posted:

This is very confusing because Marco Danelli is by all accounts an experienced smith and HEMA person who lives in London.
he's also legit italian, so like having nothing to do with ukraine in any way

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 21, 2016

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Kemper Boyd posted:

I agree with you 100% on your intent, but you picked possibly the least lovely fight to prove your point.

Like yeah it's not good. But there are some bits that aren't entirely stupid (the general idea of a lightly armored opponent exhausting someone ; actually showing cutting around armor rather than just whacking, e.g. cutting at the knees and armpit ; using the environment to "cheat" an opponent). I will not defend the scene as good or anything, but it's pretty baseline Movie Sword Fights Suck (This Is Why We Love Rob Roy).

Now compare that to this far more representative bullshit :

https://youtu.be/CY-b4inDAPQ

The fight you list is just using lazy visual story-telling tropes and not being realistic.

This is just straight up, skilled swordsman = twirls.

(Again : not defending the show's fights, I actually think they totally suck, I just think you picked one of the worst (or better??) examples and undermined your point.)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Xiahou Dun posted:

Movie Sword Fights Suck (This Is Why We Love Rob Roy).
that blade runner dude's the duelists!!!!!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Kemper Boyd posted:

I can see that being done by a dork who's only ever fought in the field, or doesn't have confidence in their skill in not getting hit.

I'm no swordfighting expert, but I guess even if the moment-to-moment actions are kinda dumb, the overall idea behind that fight is sound? The dude without armor is better off using his mobility to his advantage and letting the dude with armor tire himself, while the armorless dude looks for a good opening. I'm not sure how exactly those couple of slashes took down the dude with armor though, running the blade over the armor shouldn't do much, unless there's no chainmail or anything beneath the plate armor to guard against a simple cut? What a dork.

Also the hole in the floor seems like a dumb feature for the duel. If you've got dudes fighting each other with swords, than I'd expect most of the harm that comes to the your swordfighting dudes to come from sword-related reasons as opposed to a lack of OSHA standards. Also it brings to mind a lot of weird engineering questions as to how they have a room that big made entirely of stone that high up with apparently no support from below, unless the hole is some kind of warp portal or some weird thing, I don't know anything about Game of Thrones lore.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
The armoured man is outrageously clumsy and never even tries to use his shield.

The hole is perfectly reasonable. All it needs is some sort of dome structure to support it. It's called an oculus, and it was no big deal with Medieval architects. The most famous example is the Pantheon, which isn't even Medieval, it's Roman. That oculus is like 10m wide, the GoT one is bit smaller.

Anyways, you're supposed to feel a little disgusted by the little boy and his mother sitting on the throne. The whole duel is extrajudicial, the defending party is innocent, and everything is staged to entertain a overcoddled child. There's no better way to convey sybaritic rulership than a duel to the death over a sarlacc pit.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, but there very clearly isn't a dome or anything like that supporting the room, because there's no shadow being cast by what any sort of massive domelike structure, and there's even a goddamn forest directly beneath the building, which either means that that there's some kind of bizarre arboretum being maintained within the castle walls, or the whole room is on some weird outcropping off to the side of the supporting structure rather than being supported on all sides. And then on top of all of that, this big ol' fancy chamber is high enough that there are clouds passing beneath it.

If it weren't supposed to be a medieval setting, I'd guess that they were all in a giant blimp.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

HEY GAL posted:

sword small
This might help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYNy_drriXs

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah, but there very clearly isn't a dome or anything like that supporting the room, because there's no shadow being cast by what any sort of massive domelike structure, and there's even a goddamn forest directly beneath the building, which either means that that there's some kind of bizarre arboretum being maintained within the castle walls, or the whole room is on some weird outcropping off to the side of the supporting structure rather than being supported on all sides. And then on top of all of that, this big ol' fancy chamber is high enough that there are clouds passing beneath it.

If it weren't supposed to be a medieval setting, I'd guess that they were all in a giant blimp.

The idea of a very high up room (Not a very large room actually) with a hole in the floor is perfectly reasonable. It looks like this.

The dome only bears the weight of itself, and the floor of the room above it. If the supporting walls are ludicrously strong (As they tend to be in fantasy lands), they don't even need to fully enclose the structure.

I'm somebody could have sat down and calculated the exact camera angles needed to preemptively silence nitpickers, but that's a big waste of time imo. The castle was built in the mountains, on top of very conveniently shaped rocks, which is why it's so tall.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Personally I think it was a magic room floating above some valley. Or the moon door is a magic portal.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Must be a pretty drafty place to live.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Xiahou Dun posted:

(Again : not defending the show's fights, I actually think they totally suck, I just think you picked one of the worst (or better??) examples and undermined your point.)

I picked it because while it's a good scene overall, the actual sword swinging is still bad. I'd argue too that the whole thing with "unarmored opponent exhausting armored opponent" thing you often see in pop culture is a crock of poo poo, because the unarmored guy can't get hit while the armored one can actually take hits and take it easier. Funny enough, there's a scene in GOT that gets this right, the dishonored knight fighting one of those Dothraki dudes with his armor on.

But yes, Rob Roy owns, and it's understandable that a TV show doesn't have the time to train every actor in swordfighting, and so on and so on.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

This is 2.25 lbs.

looking through the arms and armor website, my sword is somewhere between this one
http://arms-n-armor.com/rapier163.html
and this one
http://arms-n-armor.com/rapier169.html

complete length 113 cm / 44.5"
length of blade 93 cm / 36.5"
width of blade at base 2 cm / slightly over 3/4"

i wanted something classier than the usual soldier bullshit and that's what that is, but i think my next one will be a cut-and-thrust sword, like i hate the quillions but you could goddamn wreck a dude with this:
http://arms-n-armor.com/rapier164.html
:getin:

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jun 21, 2016

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Kinda wonder how many workhours these higher quality blades are?

I've been thinking about prices for bows and noticed that people use all kinds of tricks to cut down hours. Doing them the authentic way is just completely uneconomic. Can't charge for +150 hours on a living wage. Just a few people will buy that.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
the solution (on the consumer end) is to never go out to eat, never go to parties, buy used clothing, and spend all your money on early modern weapons and gear

obviously

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also the hole in the floor seems like a dumb feature for the duel. If you've got dudes fighting each other with swords, than I'd expect most of the harm that comes to the your swordfighting dudes to come from sword-related reasons as opposed to a lack of OSHA standards. Also it brings to mind a lot of weird engineering questions as to how they have a room that big made entirely of stone that high up with apparently no support from below, unless the hole is some kind of warp portal or some weird thing, I don't know anything about Game of Thrones lore.

In the books, that hole in the floor is a door that opens onto nothing, to execute people by pushing them out of it. The castle is just built on top of a mountain with no gravity defying architecture. It's pretty much a fantasy Neuschwanstein.

JaucheCharly posted:

Must be a pretty drafty place to live.

There's fluff about the castle being mostly ceremonial and vacated in winter, because it's too cold. Everyone moves to a bigger but less fancy castle at the foot of the mountain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Nobody reads the last post on a page

• Locked thread