Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

This is apparently a Panther from I./26 captured by the Free French in Italy.

According to Jentz (Jentz, T.L., "Germany's Panther Tank", Schiffer, 1995)

The first Panthers to see combat were 76 Panthers (mostly A with a few D) from I./Pz.Rgt.4 in February 1944. On 19 May there were 62 operational with the Abteilung. On 26 May there were 13 Panther operational out of 48 and on 1 June only 6 were reported as operational. On 14 June 1944 there were 11 Panther operational out of 17 available. 38 Panthers were shipped from Germany as reemplacement between 29 May and 5 June. Another 20 were sent between 18 and 21 September 1944 and a final batch of 10 Panthers were sent on 31 October 1944. The Abteilung became I./Pz.Rgt.26 in February 1945.

This is one of those things that even 10 years ago would have been impossible to find out without writing in to a magazine. Luckily the internet is full of grogs. I haven't been able to find anything on your Panther in Yugoslavia though. Could it have been traveling to other fronts by rail?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Frosted Flake posted:

Luckily the internet is full of grogs. I haven't been able to find anything on your Panther in Yugoslavia though. Could it have been traveling to other fronts by rail?

Not sure, I imagine it might've been commandeered while it was being transported elsewhere and subsequently met its end in Yugoslavia but I can't say I've looked into it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Disinterested posted:

Napoleon I :iamafag:

Gustav IV Adolf based his foreign policy on his belief that Napoleon was the Anti-Christ and thus refused from joining France's Continental System. Then he ignored all the warnings about an impending Russian attack and left Finland undefended, lost so spectacularly that Russians were coming across the Gulf of Bothnia and then had a Hitleresque meltdown where he was blaming his underlings for everything. At least his officers had the balls to arrest the king and make him abdicate.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

JcDent posted:

Well, how do you use it? Do you try an jam coordination, arty spotters, etc? Where is the equipment deployed? Why go helo over ground deployment?

Also, here is one of the drawings that inspired the question:

More Russian stuff here.

Those are all just radio jammers; you put them out where you want to interfere with your opponent's radio transmissions. Ones that size have a range of maybe 10-15km, and I'm pretty sure that specific platform is non directional, so you're kind of constrained in your frequency management and so on. You can put it on an aerial platform but the cost/benefit is the same for most things....it is a lot more expensive and vulnerable, but it has better LOS and is faster, etc.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Nenonen posted:

Gustav IV Adolf based his foreign policy on his belief that Napoleon was the Anti-Christ and thus refused from joining France's Continental System. Then he ignored all the warnings about an impending Russian attack and left Finland undefended, lost so spectacularly that Russians were coming across the Gulf of Bothnia and then had a Hitleresque meltdown where he was blaming his underlings for everything. At least his officers had the balls to arrest the king and make him abdicate.

Seems like Adolf is a name you don't want to have for your head of state.

Actually, are there any good Adolfs in history? :hitler:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Xerxes17 posted:

Seems like Adolf is a name you don't want to have for your head of state.

Actually, are there any good Adolfs in history? :hitler:

Gustavus Adolphus? It's close.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Gustavus II Adolphus was *sighs heavily, grits teeth* fine

he still got beaten by a better general tho, and that's a fact.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Frosted Flake posted:

Great. Thank you!

The 24th seems to have been in Italy between March and August '43, so they couldn't be responsible for the mystery Panthers, could they? Would they have left a battalion behind when they went to the Eastern Front?

The 26th was in Italy between July 43 and the end of the war, so they seem to be responsible.

I believe I saw that I./Pz-Reg 4 had Panthers in the area of Nettuno in March 1944. Does that seem about right? I'll see if I can find a picture.

I'm surprised that Panthers were spotted in Italy so early, and that there was still "Tank Panic" in Normandy when they were encountered there.

I'm not sure if there were early Panthers in Italy; I remember something about the units in 1943 rejecting them for being rolling dumpster fires and only accepting them after the rebuilds, which'd mean they'd be getting there in 1944.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

spectralent posted:

I'm not sure if there were early Panthers in Italy; I remember something about the units in 1943 rejecting them for being rolling dumpster fires and only accepting them after the rebuilds, which'd mean they'd be getting there in 1944.

I think LSSAH had the first Panthers in Italy, but as you said they were in bad shape and never saw combat. I can't find concrete sources but I believe the unit was there for R&R, and as you can see with the Heer Panthers in Italy, I suspect they weren't able to keep them in running order.

Is I./4 typical? A handful of tanks in running order, without seeing serious combat? The month where they had 6/(62? 48?) operational Panthers must have been interesting.

e: On the face of it, in early 1944 the Allies had nothing in Italy that could defeat the Panther at combat ranges except for possibly M10s and towed 17lbrs. You would think they would have made a huge impact, as 76mm Shermans didn't arrive until later and I can't find references to Achilles or Fireflies in Italy before 1945.

I guess it's true what they say about professionals studying logistics.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 20, 2016

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Lord Tywin posted:

Has there been any nation that were as incompetent when it came to diplomacy as Imperial Germany under Wilhelm II? Bismarck left them in a pretty good postion but after he's fired every diplomatic action until the end seems moronic.

Wasn't there this critique that Bismarck was being to clever for his own good and that he set up a house of cards with a zillion failure points and everyone being wary of him in a sort of fool me once type way? No idea where I have this from.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

aphid_licker posted:

Wasn't there this critique that Bismarck was being to clever for his own good and that he set up a house of cards with a zillion failure points and everyone being wary of him in a sort of fool me once type way? No idea where I have this from.

Bismark's system was basically "whatever you do try and keep at least one of either France or Russia on your side or at worst neutral because trying to fight both of them at the same time is a bad idea guys" and it by all right should have worked fine because France is a relatively progressive democracy and Russia is Russia so why would they ever be on the same side? Yet somehow Wilhelm managed to make that happen, so that's pretty bad.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
I think Bismarck probably would have sniffed out that mutually assured destruction is actually a ridiculous concept with conventional weapons.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cythereal posted:

Gustavus Adolphus? It's close.

You know that Gustavus Adolphus is just a latinized version of Gustav II Adolf, right? It's the same as calling der Führer 'Adolphus Hitlerus' or George Bush 'Georgius Frutexius' or something idk. People who spell it the Latin way are just trying too hard to look posh. :colbert:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Throatwarbler posted:

Bismark's system was basically "whatever you do try and keep at least one of either France or Russia on your side or at worst neutral because trying to fight both of them at the same time is a bad idea guys" and it by all right should have worked fine because France is a relatively progressive democracy and Russia is Russia so why would they ever be on the same side? Yet somehow Wilhelm managed to make that happen, so that's pretty bad.

Also, let's throw the UK in there for good measure, because they've had a swimmingly positive relationship with France for the last several centuries and they hate Russia more than just about anything, lol like they'd ever fight on the same side.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Frosted Flake posted:

e: On the face of it, in early 1944 the Allies had nothing in Italy that could defeat the Panther at combat ranges except for possibly M10s and towed 17lbrs. You would think they would have made a huge impact, as 76mm Shermans didn't arrive until later and I can't find references to Achilles or Fireflies in Italy before 1945.

Well, for one the M10 has largely the same gun as the 76mm sherman with very similar penetration characteristics, but equally the panther always had very thin side armour and things like the bazooka and PIAT were already in service, and italy wasn't great tank country.

Come to think, only having six panthers reportedly showing up probably helped convince the US it was a special-deployment heavy tank, rather than their new standard "medium".

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

spectralent posted:

Come to think, only having six panthers reportedly showing up probably helped convince the US it was a special-deployment heavy tank, rather than their new standard "medium".

Strange to think that while there were 6 Panthers in working order in Italy, in France whole regiments were being converted to the type. That is probably also the reason why I can't find Allied reports of them. In Normandy, the Americans massivly overreported Tigers, I imagine in Italy they reported Panthers as Tigers or Pz IVs initially.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Nenonen posted:

He also tried fleeing the Royal Palace and got punched in the face by his stablemaster while doing so, who hauled the king back inside.

Nevermind that earlier, the Swedish diplomats had even secured an alliance with Russia and Gustav IV Adolf was gonna marry a Russian princess to seal the deal, but he got all worked up over the Russian Orthodox church which demanded Orthodox marriage rites so that went out the window.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

aphid_licker posted:

It's more that no one was really interested in Bismarckian diplomacy other than Bismarck himself. His diplomatic system depended on remaining friendly with more of the Great Powers and trying not to seem too threatening, which meant avoiding expansionism, minimizing military posturing, and not placing too much importance on colonialism. In ither words, it meant that even though Germany was a predominant power in Europe, it had to refrain from lording it over the other powers too much. Once he was ousted, it was only a matter of time before the ambitious Wilhelm II and his even more ambitious ministers dismantled Bismarck's achievements, all in the name of starry-eyed visions of the greatness of the German Empire and contemporary notions of honor and dignity and prestige.

Even worse, the Imperial German government was lacking in checks and balances. Bismarck was able to concentrate a lot of political power into both himself and his own position as Chancellor, so as long as the Kaiser tolerated him he was able to do basically whatever he wanted without real interference from people who disagreed. Once he was ousted, neither Wilhelm nor subsequent chancellors really had the force of personality to articulate a coherent foreign policy and maintain iron-fisted control of the government, so that concentration of power ended up becoming a liability, particularly since Wilhelm was notoriously easy to convince of things and tended not to filter the things coming out of his mouth.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Wilhelm also screwed up the relationship with Britain by insisting on building a whole lot of fighty boats that Germany didn't really need for anything.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Throatwarbler posted:

The problem was that Bismarck really didn't want (Catholic) Austria as part of Germany and he feared that would happen if the Empire dissolved. Therefore he felt the need to patronize A-H which inevitably led to friction with Russia. He managed to successfully handle that while he was in power, but it was bound to happen that estrangement with Russia would mean that France would eventually sacrifice it's liberal principles (the biggest issue being support for a Polish state) to gain the security of an arrangement with Russia. Even then, Germany was not actively threatened by the essentially defensive arrangement so long as they moderated themselves and forced restraint on A-H. Unfortunately, Wilhelm was the opposite of moderation and restraint which meant a confrontation was probably unavoidable.

Interestingly, it's possible to argue that one of the root causes of WWI was therefore religion and especially the Hapsburg focus on Catholicising the population of Austria that took place during and prior to the 30 years war. Therefore, Hey Gal is actually the number one WWI expert in this thread.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Main Paineframe posted:

It's more that no one was really interested in Bismarckian diplomacy other than Bismarck himself. His diplomatic system depended on remaining friendly with more of the Great Powers and trying not to seem too threatening, which meant avoiding expansionism, minimizing military posturing, and not placing too much importance on colonialism. In ither words, it meant that even though Germany was a predominant power in Europe, it had to refrain from lording it over the other powers too much. Once he was ousted, it was only a matter of time before the ambitious Wilhelm II and his even more ambitious ministers dismantled Bismarck's achievements, all in the name of starry-eyed visions of the greatness of the German Empire and contemporary notions of honor and dignity and prestige.

Even worse, the Imperial German government was lacking in checks and balances. Bismarck was able to concentrate a lot of political power into both himself and his own position as Chancellor, so as long as the Kaiser tolerated him he was able to do basically whatever he wanted without real interference from people who disagreed. Once he was ousted, neither Wilhelm nor subsequent chancellors really had the force of personality to articulate a coherent foreign policy and maintain iron-fisted control of the government, so that concentration of power ended up becoming a liability, particularly since Wilhelm was notoriously easy to convince of things and tended not to filter the things coming out of his mouth.

For a great example of this look at Germany's dick waving about colonies etc in the early years of the 20th century. The first Moroccan Crisis did a wonderful job of making Germany a major national security concern for France for exactly zero gain (even the theoretical gain was limited - Morocco isn't exactly a mouth watering prize), cementing the anglo-french entante, and nearly kicking off WW1 a decade early for good measure.

THen there's the Venezuelan Crisis which majorly hosed up US-German relations a couple years before. Yeah, Teddy Roosevelt is really the president you want to go pushing the line on the Monroe Doctrine with.

edit: ^^^^^ eeeeh, I think you're over playing the Catholic angle. The Kulturkampf was a big loving deal (especially if you were a Bavarian Catholic) but Bismark wasn't so much anti-Catholic as he was trying to create a single German national identity that put regional and sectarian divides on a secondary footing. Grooming Austria was more about having a solid ally that could be depended on against Russia than fears of a collapsed Austria-Hungary pulling on the Catholic south.

It was also part of his general policy of trying not to piss anyone off too much. A HUUUUUUUUGE component of all Prussian foreign policy from basically the end of the 30 YW through Napoleon was balancing A-H and France. They ping-ponged between being allied with one or another a lot for about two centuries. The most recent round of that had involved fighting wars with both of them sequentially during the Wars of German Unification, which lead to a lot of bad blood on the borders. France was the tougher nut with regards to that due to the nasty way the Franco-Prussian war ended and the Alsatian issue. Mending fences with A-H was going to be a lot easier, and they did a pretty good job of it.

Really, you can understand most of the history of Brandenburg/Prussia/Germany from the 30YW through WW2 as a series of attempts to expand while never, ever, EVER having enemies on two fronts which required some real gymnastics due to their location in Central Europe. They got much less good at this at the end.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 20, 2016

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

They got much less good at this at the end.

Sort of understatement considering they managed to get caught in a multiple front war twice in a period of less than 50 years.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Cyrano4747 posted:

edit: ^^^^^ eeeeh, I think you're over playing the Catholic angle. The Kulturkampf was a big loving deal (especially if you were a Bavarian Catholic) but Bismark wasn't so much anti-Catholic as he was trying to create a single German national identity that put regional and sectarian divides on a secondary footing. Grooming Austria was more about having a solid ally that could be depended on against Russia than fears of a collapsed Austria-Hungary pulling on the Catholic south.

It was also part of his general policy of trying not to piss anyone off too much. A HUUUUUUUUGE component of all Prussian foreign policy from basically the end of the 30 YW through Napoleon was balancing A-H and France. They ping-ponged between being allied with one or another a lot for about two centuries. The most recent round of that had involved fighting wars with both of them sequentially during the Wars of German Unification, which lead to a lot of bad blood on the borders. France was the tougher nut with regards to that due to the nasty way the Franco-Prussian war ended and the Alsatian issue. Mending fences with A-H was going to be a lot easier, and they did a pretty good job of it.

Really, you can understand most of the history of Brandenburg/Prussia/Germany from the 30YW through WW2 as a series of attempts to expand while never, ever, EVER having enemies on two fronts which required some real gymnastics due to their location in Central Europe. They got much less good at this at the end.

I did (intentionally) overplay the Catholic angle for my 30 years war joke, but the A-H alliance wasn't really about security against Russia. Germany's security against Russia was based on common policies and interests and the alliance was the only major thing interfering with Russian friendship (later on there's agricultural interests and tariffs, but those are still minor issues compared to support for A-H). Germany certainly did permanently ruin it's relationship with France and rebuild it's relationship with A-H in 1870 and after, but that didn't imply a full alliance with A-H. The strongest argument I've seen for the alliance was that it was necessary for German economic penetration of Turkey and the Balkans, but that argument applies after Bismarck's time anyway. Really, signing an alliance (and agreeing to make it perpetual!) instead of just maintaining friendly relations comes off as a blunder by Bismarck that was continued as policy because no one after him had the spine or imagination to change policy. Since he was generally pretty good at diplomacy, looking for domestic reasons for it is a natural continuation of the line of reasoning.

blackmongoose fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 20, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So I found this fancy little document from 1991, an explanation from the Naval Weapons Center at China Lake of the Soviet method of acquiring and maintaining weapons systems (from handguns to aircraft) during a war.

One interesting note is that the Soviets intentionally made heavy use of cannibalization of damaged and abandoned gear on battlefields for maintenance needs. According to page 9, they discovered during WW2 that 15% of all spare parts manufactured and stocked accounted for 85% of all battlefield needs. They decided that it would be prudent to only stock those 15% and make up the rest with cannibalization. They use "diverse mechanics" with limited training to first strip major components from scavenged vehicles and weapons, leaving the remainder for more skilled engineers to gather up behind them and assemble into complete units. Ironically, the Soviets ended up with a system of factory incentives that actually discouraged the manufacture of spare parts during peacetime: factories were only given bonuses based on the number of complete units recorded as being manufactured, so spare parts would be kept and assembled into complete units instead of being "wasted" by sending them off to storage. They make up for this by only actually using 10% of their equipment during peacetime and keeping the rest in storage, only brought out for maneuvers twice a year. The worn training equipment would theoretically be kept behind and used for further training of new soldiers or given to reserve units while the soldiers who trained on them would go off to battle in brand new tanks.

Page 25 starts observations on Soviet design culture and methodology, trying to pinpoint the truth behind the "Rugged but rough" stereotype. Soviet gear was designed to pass tests in which operators would manipulate everything wearing thick arctic gloves and mittens, hence the tendency to use many large knobs, switches, and dials that seem "crude" or "obsolete" in the West. The metals used in vehicles like tanks seem soft and heavy compared to Western materials, but that's because they're designed to not become brittle in the Siberian cold. And all equipment is designed to be limited in individual scope and meant to operate within a larger combined unit, rather than being capable of isolated fighting.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

blackmongoose posted:

Interestingly, it's possible to argue that one of the root causes of WWI was therefore religion and especially the Hapsburg focus on Catholicising the population of Austria that took place during and prior to the 30 years war. Therefore, Hey Gal is actually the number one WWI expert in this thread.
it's true

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GAL posted:

it's true

Would the average 30 years war commander make use of Zeppelins or scavenge the gold beaters skin out of the lifting cells to make fancy gloves for everyone

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
do you want my dudes to be airborne

do you really

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

HEY GAL posted:

do you really

I see it as more of an AirCav scenario.

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
I'm sure Wallenstein would get in an air balloon and use rockets with messages attached to send orders to that drat Officer that has deployed 20 ft to the left of where he should be.

Did telescopes exist in the 17th century. I remember being told glasses have existed for yonks.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

do you really

As long as they can fire pistols out of it, oh hell yes

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hazzard posted:

I'm sure Wallenstein would get in an air balloon and use rockets with messages attached to send orders to that drat Officer that has deployed 20 ft to the left of where he should be.

Did telescopes exist in the 17th century. I remember being told glasses have existed for yonks.
spyglasses are not a thing until the 18th century

spectacles are a thing but GA refuses to wear them in public

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hazzard posted:

if he can aim it directly at his head, sure

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kemper Boyd posted:

Wilhelm also screwed up the relationship with Britain by insisting on building a whole lot of fighty boats that Germany didn't really need for anything.

Wilhelm could've had his big fleet of fighty boats if he'd had someone in charge who knew to build a big fleet that would obviously be used to fight Russian and France. Hell, the British would've encouraged that poo poo like the did Japan.

Instead he trusted Tirpitz and everything went to poo poo.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

HEY GAL posted:

do you really

um, yes???? obviously?????????

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I think Britain would have seen any attempt by Germany to build a strong fleet as a threat to national security, since the defense of Britain depended on local naval hegemony. If Wilhelm hadn't been a moron, Germany could have maintained its solid relationship instead of driving Britain into an alliance with two of its historical enemies.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Empress Theonora posted:

um, yes???? obviously?????????

It's raining piss, poo poo and drunken half stabbed dudes.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

It's raining piss, poo poo and drunken half stabbed dudes.
hallelujah

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

sarmhan posted:

I think Britain would have seen any attempt by Germany to build a strong fleet as a threat to national security, since the defense of Britain depended on local naval hegemony. If Wilhelm hadn't been a moron, Germany could have maintained its solid relationship instead of driving Britain into an alliance with two of its historical enemies.

I think that mostly comes down to Britain being paranoid about anyone who they thought might conceivably become a threat to the supremacy of the British Empire. That mentality was behind much of the British involvement in the War of 1812, for one. Britain seems to have consistently regarded "Our empire's prosperity shouldn't exist at the sufferance of the Royal Navy" as an existential threat to their own success.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Trin Tragula posted:

As long as they can fire pistols out of it, oh hell yes

Most of out the window isn't actually crucial to the survival of the airship, even, it's a perfect match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Kanine posted:

did anybody in the thread catch the battle of the bastards? it looked like one of the more realistic depictions of a medieval battle ive seen

I'm just going to spoiler tag everything unless people think I should come back and edit that out.

Things that were unrealistic but I don't have a problem with, because they fit into a visual or narrative convention:
  • Most of the battle was two groups of infantry in loose order running into one another and immediately collapsing into a bunch of chaotic duels. This is kind of annoying but it is pretty much the standard for medieval/fantasy battle scenes. The climax of the battle included some formation and shieldwall fighting from the Bolton pike/shield infantry, about which see below.
  • Ramsay ordering his archers to loose on his own cavalry was dumb, but fits with his character being a psychopath unschooled in actual military tactics. As Davos and Tormund discussed in the pre-battle scenes, Bolton's greatest advantage was his cavalry, which Snow's wildling infantry could not resist on open ground. He kicked off the battle by trading all his cavalry for all of Jon's, but he had way more to begin with so the trade was not at all to his advantage. But he's basically Ed Gein trying to command an army, of course he hosed it up.
  • Further to that point, Karstark contributed a significant portion of Bolton's army, and he was far too comfortable with Ramsay loosing arrows into them. Those people are his vassals and friends, he probably should have angry about it, at a minimum. But what do you expect from a secondary antagonist in the big battle scene? He was there to look intimidating and get stabbed by Tormund.
  • The corpse pile has already been discussed. It was impossible but a nice visual.
  • Bolton's pavise/pike infantry was put in to create a sensation of claustrophobia and impending doom, which worked well. However, they don't make any sense. Fully half of them are shieldbearers and effectively unarmed. Realistically, you would just have every man carry a pike, and the points would do the job of maintaining distance just as well and probably better than the shields, and they'd be much more lethal. The shields also make the formation basically immobile, so half Bolton's army was useless unless they were in the exact (extremely improbable) situation that happened at the climax of the battle.
  • None of the named characters wore a helmet, which is a standard film battle convention so there's no sense complaining.

Things that I quite liked:
  • The cavalry charge, because you very seldom get to see cavalry in close order executing a charge. Thank God for CGI. In answer to question of whether cavalry actually did that, generally they tried to avoid collisions of that kind because they're so destructive to man and horse. Ideally you want to maneuver so you can charge into their flank and you can kill them without them killing you. In the episode, it made more sense because Snow's cavalry pretty much had to counter-charge the Bolton cavalry head-on to save their commander. Also it looks like cavalry in the North mostly don't use lances, which I think is a cultural deal, so colliding head-to-head might not be as much of a suicide pact as for lancers. All that said, it was common for classical and medieval battles to kick off with a clash of cavalry, because the losers would generally be routed from the field and winners had an opportunity to freely maneuver and strike the flanks or rear of the opposing infantry at the decisive moment. That's how Alexander loved to do it, for example--slam his cavalry into the enemy horses or chariots, drive them off, then return to hammer the enemy infantry from behind with his pike phalanx as the anvil.
  • Tormund and the wildling infantry panicking and trying to flee. They're a bunch of tough dudes, but I liked that they showed even dedicated and brave men will break in battle rather than fight to the last man.
  • Jon Snow almost being trampled/crushed to death when his men panicked and tried to flee, which was shot very well and an interesting choice. It's realistic and something that can happen, and did happen (IIRC trampling injuries and deaths are believed to have been a major factor at Agincourt), but it's characteristic of Game of Thrones to tease the possibility that the series's main protagonist might die ignominiously from suffocation.
  • Hopefully the next episode will explore this a little more, but I think Littlefinger's appearance in the very nick of time was deliberate on his part. By waiting until Bolton had basically destroyed Snow's forces, he minimized his losses and ensured he came out with the only intact army in the whole of the North. He is an incredible dirtbag and I love it.

• Locked thread