Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Badger of Basra posted:

how much cash on hand does hillary have?

Seeing people on twitter saying $42M but haven't verified myself yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

TheTatteredKing posted:

Some to most Bernie people think Trump is beating Hillary in pills because they're living in the past

poo poo, even loving Rasmussen says Hillary's the most likely to get elected at this moment.

Also, I wouldn't say most Bernie supporters are that crazy. Aren't like 75% of Bernie supporters fine with voting for Clinton?

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Slate Action posted:

Wait, so the entire RNC has less money than the Clinton campaign spent on ad buys just this past week

But Trump can control the ~media~ which means that ad buys magically become unnecessary. If things continue as trending I think it's going to be a 49 state wipeout. The state Trump takes is up to you, but my money's on Texas.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

neonnoodle posted:

Can someone help me out with an explanation on how the finances for all these things work? Like, the Trump campaign has certain funds in cash, but what do they have that isn't cash? Same question for the RNC generally. And how do the SuperPACs fit into this? Are they just for TV ads and other promotional material or do they help with phone banking/other campaign activities?

How do I make sense of all these dollar numbers and fundraising things, basically?

superpacs are, in theory, disconnected from candidates and parties and there's no limit to donations to them. i don't think there's maximums to rnc/dnc contributions? but those are used for the presidential campaign, and funds also go to downticket races for those parties. candidate contributions are limited to 2,700 for the primary and general, so 5,400 total, and can only be used for that candidates run.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Trump "campaign" is kind of the best.

https://twitter.com/Olivianuzzi/status/744883632607629312

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
so waht im getting here is that Lewandowski got to take the fall for the Trump campaign being totally ramshackle

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

neonnoodle posted:

Can someone help me out with an explanation on how the finances for all these things work? Like, the Trump campaign has certain funds in cash, but what do they have that isn't cash? Same question for the RNC generally. And how do the SuperPACs fit into this? Are they just for TV ads and other promotional material or do they help with phone banking/other campaign activities?

How do I make sense of all these dollar numbers and fundraising things, basically?

What non-cash things are you thinking about? It's not like the RNC flips foreclosed houses at a profit or something. And assets they might have like voter databases require staff to operate, maintain, and so on—and that requires money.

SuperPACs can buy all the ads and send all the mailers they want, and that's a big help. However, they can't engage in obvious coordination with the party or the candidate's campaign, and they can't pay the bills for either. If the RNC desperately needs money for staffing, internal polling, or GOTV, for instance, a SuperPAC can't help that much.

SuperPAcs also pay much higher ad rates than the campaigns themselves pay, which means their money is less efficient.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Speaking of, do we know how much wink-nudge collusion takes place between campaigns and PACs? Is there like a contract bridge bidding thing, where you open with a bid of two clubs in order to ask your partner what their hand looks like? Is there an obvious signalling mechanism, is what I'm asking.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

paranoid randroid posted:

so waht im getting here is that Lewandowski got to take the fall for the Trump campaign being totally ramshackle

This morning: Donald Trump fires a man for running a campaign focused solely on stroking Trump's ego.

This afternoon: Donald Trump fires a man for sending an embarrassing tweet.

But definitely no problems at the top. Trump has made no mistakes.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I just wanna state that for all the bluster of the RNC having $19m cash in hand, the DNC isn't doing much better (not that it needs to worry, they have a strong candidate):

As of last month, the DNC had $9m compared to the RNC's $17m.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
The Donald Relaunches!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Or maybe campaigns and PACs could hire the same consultants, who just happen to give both clients the same advice.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Montasque posted:

Rush talking about the Lewandoswki firing.

Says it was done by Ivanka, Don Jr, and Eric. They told their dad that Lewnandowski couldn't hack it in the general.

Then Rush pivots to say "The dems think us(Republicans) are more of a threat to America than ISIS"

I have to admit, I'm a dem and I do think Republicans are more of a threat to America than ISIS.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

SunAndSpring posted:

poo poo, even loving Rasmussen says Hillary's the most likely to get elected at this moment.

Also, I wouldn't say most Bernie supporters are that crazy. Aren't like 75% of Bernie supporters fine with voting for Clinton?

Anyone still supporting Bernie is basically a bernout. Most of those 75% switched weeks ago. Either their rabid lunatics or they're idiots like my boss who clearly tuned out weeks ago and pretends she has any idea what she's talking about.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

f#a# posted:

I just wanna state that for all the bluster of the RNC having $19m cash in hand, the DNC isn't doing much better (not that it needs to worry, they have a strong candidate):

As of last month, the DNC had $9m compared to the RNC's $17m.
Of course, unlike the Trump campaign, the DNC and Hillary's campaign apparatus have already started merging

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

you guys are just overblowing this whole situation anyway, Trump hasn't even started campaigning yet, just wait until he gets going!

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Ahahahaha wow, welp I guess Trump's reality bubble is confirmed.

Oh god election night is gonna be 2012 all over again, but better.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Ugh. Is there anyone in the loving Republican Party that's even halfway redeemable as a decent human being?
Lindsey Graham, if he can be convinced that Hillary is hawkish enough for his tastes.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Adam Scott is gonna play this dork in the movie right

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Regular Nintendo posted:

Yeah, him or Zach Woods.

SillyGoosesinc
Jul 18, 2012

by exmarx

MC Nietzche posted:

But Trump can control the ~media~ which means that ad buys magically become unnecessary. If things continue as trending I think it's going to be a 49 state wipeout. The state Trump takes is up to you, but my money's on Texas.

new york, the working class white democrats will offer it to him.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Paul Manafort patiently explains to Trump that traditionally you have to wait until after youre elected to liquidate the press

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

JT Jag posted:

Of course, unlike the Trump campaign, the DNC and Hillary's campaign apparatus have already started merging

To reinforce: according to the Twitter:

"Combined with Priorities USA, this means pro-Clinton players have about $94 million on hand as of May 31.

As for Trump? Don't know yet."

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Squizzle posted:

Speaking of, do we know how much wink-nudge collusion takes place between campaigns and PACs? Is there like a contract bridge bidding thing, where you open with a bid of two clubs in order to ask your partner what their hand looks like? Is there an obvious signalling mechanism, is what I'm asking.

remember all that insanely weird footage of the ted cruz and his family that's floating around?

that was sneakily released to the general public as an uncut reel by the campaign, specifically so superpacs could get that kind of footage without the technical collaboration of having them sit down with the superpac

mormonpartyboat fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 20, 2016

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Regular Nintendo posted:

More like Scott Adams

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Jewel Repetition posted:

I have to admit, I'm a dem and I do think Republicans are more of a threat to America than ISIS.
Oh most definitely. We've gotten pretty good at kicking the poo poo out of the latter, but the former are tenacious and have a lot of very zealous supports in all 50 states.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

MC Nietzche posted:

Nah, Texas would flip before plenty of states. Oklahoma, Idaho, Mississippi, Alabama, those ones up top where no one lives, etc.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Internet Webguy posted:

This is the reason he isn't talking poo poo about the Trump campaign, he knows it. He still refuses to bite the hand that fed him because he has no other prospects politically.

Kanye has said he is going to run, so...

Imagine Kanye vs Trump. Imagine the tweets.
:allears:

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
How does Trump's fundraising month compare to Romney's equivalent May?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
So if I'm reading that itemizer correctly, the RNC had 53m cash in May '08, 60m cash in May '12, and about 20m cash in May '16. woof

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
this is hugely impt too - locking down media early
https://twitter.com/Kantar_Media/status/745005111152254976

quote:

"Believe me folks, they're false ads," he recently told supporters in California. "They are so false. Ah, some of them aren't so false. Mostly."
lol how did I miss this quote

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

ReidRansom posted:

Nah, Texas would flip before plenty of states. Oklahoma, Idaho, Mississippi, Alabama, those ones up top where no one lives, etc.

Mississippi would go sooner than you think because they have the largest black population. Idaho might go a little sooner than you think because they've got Mormons.

OK and AL would be the very last two to flip, I think. Or possibly NE.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

fade5 posted:

Lindsey Graham, if he can be convinced that Hillary is hawkish enough for his tastes.
* Against funding access to contraceptives and sexual education for teenagers
* Against abortion (which is weird, since the previous item would resolve most of that :v: )
* Supports abstinence-only education in public schools
* Supports school vouchers
* Supported a ban on same-sex couples adopting children
* Supported an amendment to ban gay marriage
* Against re-authorizing the Violence Against Women Act
* Voted to increase the number of prisons, and voted AGAINST funding rehabilitation over prison sentences
* Voted to make it more difficult to appeal the death penalty (including removing the right of habeas corpus)
* Against medical marijuana and needle exchanges
* Against the EPA regulating greenhouses gasses and doesn't want to hold businesses accountable (despite saying climate change is real)

And the list goes on and on with typical Republican stances on everything.

Yeah, he's a real winner.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Piquai Souban posted:

How does Trump's fundraising month compare to Romney's equivalent May?

34 million Romney to 13 million for trump

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

thethreeman posted:

uhhhhh can we get a scale on these circles please

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

thethreeman posted:

haha that is a fantastic quote.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

thethreeman posted:

I clicked on the link and it's different now. $700k for Trump w/ 89 ads, versus Clinton @ 3,700 ads.

Probably all playing at 2AM for Trump

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

zen death robot posted:

Pretty clever of Trump to get his tour of the south out of the way before deciding to hit the panic button and showing why he's suddenly dialing back the crazy over the next week or two

yeah, it will definitely show well that he's spending this coming weekend in Scotland as well

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

A tiny finger on the pulse of this great nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Lurker
Mar 10, 2015

I've got the fire of human liberty!

I'm setting fires everywhere!

And humans are turning on everywhere!
I legitimately believe Trump won't make it past the convention now.

• Locked thread