Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

What exactly does the Mesmatron head do, aside from hitting me in the face after I finish sniping every single bad guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Otacon posted:

What exactly does the Mesmatron head do, aside from hitting me in the face after I finish sniping every single bad guy?

Longest engagement distance and best accuracy. Adds a slow-moving energy attack with a decent cripple chance.

Engagement distance is actually not always best to have at max. Mesmatron with scatter lasers means the bot will typically sit at max range and not hit anything.
Matching the head with the weapon type is key.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Longest engagement distance and best accuracy. Adds a slow-moving energy attack with a decent cripple chance.

Engagement distance is actually not always best to have at max. Mesmatron with scatter lasers means the bot will typically sit at max range and not hit anything.
Matching the head with the weapon type is key.

Yup, which is why an Assaultron head is good for either close-range or melee weapons.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Well the slow-moving energy attack has a wind-up and if you kill everything before the wind-up finishes, it'll shoot you.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This is why I need to take Inspirational more. So my companion death robot can't hurt me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Seashell Salesman posted:

Codsworth can have arms added for a total of five appendages, but I hate Codsworth.

Huh I've never had Codsworth show up in the robot builder menu to customise, just ADA, and the death machine killbot I built, TR-8R.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

The_Doctor posted:

Huh I've never had Codsworth show up in the robot builder menu to customise, just ADA, and the death machine killbot I built, TR-8R.

You have to have recruited him as a follower, or have him active as one, IIRC.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Old Boot posted:

You have to have recruited him as a follower, or have him active as one, IIRC.

That might be it then. I've had him as a follower once, but not for a looooong time.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Any mod recommendations to up the amount of ammo available to be bought from a merchant? I'm on PC.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
The Automatron quest was hard in survival because it forces you to use a companion, removing all the bonuses you get from Lone Wanderer. Are there any other quests that have forced companions? I noticed that most others have them following you as a separate person, like when you go to Arcjet Systems with Danse.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

The_Doctor posted:

That might be it then. I've had him as a follower once, but not for a looooong time.

I'm assuming you can mod Curie too although that would be a little weird if you could still mod her in her synth body.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Zephyrine posted:

I'm still disappointed in automatic weapons which have always been bad. Even in New Vegas.

Partially due to how the game calculates defense but also because ammunition for these weapons is rare and expensive when you compare to how much you need.

The exception being the Gatling Laser that uses Fusion cores and a single core lasts for a long time if you mod it.

Explosive/Bleeding automatic weapons on the other hand are too good and just break the game. A single salvo from a max skilled spray & pray will kill a brotherhood knight and anyone standing close to him.

Late to the party here, but 10mm SMGs were super good in New Vegas against cazadors. They were also pretty much the go-to against geckos or ghouls in enclosed spaces.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Judge Tesla posted:

I'm assuming you can mod Curie too although that would be a little weird if you could still mod her in her synth body.

You can mod her until the switch. At which point you lose any mods you have on her

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Inzombiac posted:

Grape Mentats, son. Put use to all those Hub Flowers.
Yeah, with Grape Mentats, beer, fancy sunglasses, and any sort of fancy clothing, you can boost a 1 CHR character to 10 and pass most speech checks pretty easily.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
If you put a bowler hat on Codsworth it changes his ID and prevents you from being able to modify him at the robot bench. There's a really good mod that fixes that though: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11976/

It also lets you mod Prof. Goodfeels (and assign him like a normal robo-settler), the Graygarden bots, and Deezer.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I lost Goodfeels on ps4 in what must've been a settlement attack.

Never found his corpse

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Entropic posted:

Yeah, with Grape Mentats, beer, fancy sunglasses, and any sort of fancy clothing, you can boost a 1 CHR character to 10 and pass most speech checks pretty easily.

But that's huge effort when most speech checks are 150 caps instead of 100 caps. I accepted my lot in life as a person who tries to save lives trough rational argument but people would rather die than listen.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Zephyrine posted:

But that's huge effort when most speech checks are 150 caps instead of 100 caps. I accepted my lot in life as a person who tries to save lives trough rational argument but people would rather die than listen.

Oh, who even bothers with the speech checks on those, I only ever do it for the important ones in a few quests.

Honestly most of my Grape Mentats go towards getting better vendor prices.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The_Doctor posted:

He also needs to be living at the settlement where you built a robot workbench.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Contraptions out midnight tonight.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Entropic posted:

Oh, who even bothers with the speech checks on those, I only ever do it for the important ones in a few quests.

I try for the yellow speech check for free XP. If you pass that one and then try for the orange. Failing it will have the price revert to 100 caps again.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Entropic posted:

Same, in fact I run out of hub flowers waaaaay too soon and they take forever to respawn anywhere after I've picked them clean.

Are there any mods out there that either increase plant spawns or their resplendent time?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mokinokaro posted:

I lost Goodfeels on ps4 in what must've been a settlement attack.

Never found his corpse

He just vanishes after you take the settlement

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Gonna need a mod for Goodfeels voice option for my robots.

I did the Mechanist mission for the millionth time but this time as the Silver Shroud :D

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

I did the Mechanist mission for the millionth time but this time as the Silver Shroud :D

Important question: did you Forgive as Shroud or Attack as Shroud? They're both pretty badass.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

why use his voice when you can have the bot himself

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11500/

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Speedball posted:

Important question: did you Forgive as Shroud or Attack as Shroud? They're both pretty badass.

I always forgive because The Mechanist was blinded by ambition, not malice.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

I always forgive because The Mechanist was blinded by ambition, not malice.

Excellent. The Shroud is not merciless.

Kinda wish there was a Mistress of Mystery costume. "Speak as Mistress" would clearly have you start every sentence with alliteration.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Speedball posted:

Excellent. The Shroud is not merciless.

Kinda wish there was a Mistress of Mystery costume. "Speak as Mistress" would clearly have you start every sentence with alliteration.

Bring back the bee... lady. Her costume was dope.

I found that the armorsmith mod let's you create Lorenzo's artifact. Mix that with the feathered dress to be maximum amazing fashion master.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Ant-Agonizer

it's a really good-rear end name

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Does anybody know how the damage scaling works in Survival mode?

According to http://fallout4.wiki.fextralife.com/Difficulty+Modes in hard mode, you do .75x damage to enemies, who do 1.5x damage to you. So what is it in the new survival mode?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Orange Sunshine posted:

According to http://fallout4.wiki.fextralife.com/Difficulty+Modes in hard mode, you do .75x damage to enemies, who do 1.5x damage to you. So what is it in the new survival mode?

I think 2x for both.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Orange Sunshine posted:

I've read that in new survival enemies do 2x damage, player does 1.5x damage

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I know that robot settlers don't need beds but do they have any down time?
Sunshine Co-Op is going to be a robot-only haven and I'm curious if they will end up producing more crops than a human. It would make sense given the high cost of making them.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Inzombiac posted:

Sunshine Co-Op is going to be a robot-only haven and I'm curious if they will end up producing more crops than a human. It would make sense given the high cost of making them.

I think crops are just wallclock time. My settlers can't even find a way to get to my crops and they still grow at the same rate

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
This game is so bad, but I want to play it again for the expansions.

How do I fortify myself for a day 1 level 1 play through again?

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

lite_sleepr posted:

Jack Daniels. Or, if you are more refined, maybe some nice Jim Beam.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

lite_sleepr posted:

"sgtm 5" for almost every part of the intro

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Azhais posted:

I think crops are just wallclock time. My settlers can't even find a way to get to my crops and they still grow at the same rate

Yeah, okay. I was hoping for something a little more nuanced but I keep forgetting that this is Bethesda.

It is kinda eerie to get back to camp and see little robot heads peaking out behind the corn and razorgrain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

There is one downside to robots, but it's also an upside: their happiness is locked at 50%, like the Greygarden robots. That means a settlement with a few happy settlers and a few robots will have a slightly lowered happiness rating, but an inefficient junky settlement will have its happiness raised by robots. I don't know if you can actually buy stuff from them when they're manning a store, but they do make it generate money.

And settlement resources are generated over real-time so you can't cheese the system by sleeping in bed for 24 hours to get more resources.

I'm working on a no-humans-allowed settlement myself. Starlight Theater is being guarded by tamed feral ghouls.

• Locked thread