Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I'll have to add The Big Combo to the list of films to look into, because drat those screenshots look lovely, it must look even better in motion. a little bit of a shame that the plot's so generic.

Also I'm super-excited about the next one. Hopefully you mention in The Story about the Story all about the director and maybe mention the other landmark films he's done that people really should check out, namely Sunset Boulevard, Ace in the Hole, Some Like it Hot, and The Apartment, although it's possible you may be covering the first one as well.

On a game related note, I kind of love what the game is going for here in terms of Cole's boss being happy with quick case resolutions, ignoring how much just doesn't fit. But I feel like they've strung this on a bit too long, and someone playing the game might start to get real frustrated that the game doesn't even allow you to follow up on some obvious leads (like actually going to the Crystal Ballroom).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Spatula City posted:

(like actually going to the Crystal Ballroom).
I actually find all the "hint hint, nudge nudge" going on in the videos a bit tiresome. The characters themselves comment on certain issues, and anything they've missed can probably be tied up in the supplementary material to the final video of the arc.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

Stare-Out posted:

You need a cup of my java.

The noirest of coffees.

It's a must-see.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
My favorite non-noir mystery movie is Murder By Death, a 1976 film written by Neil Simon and directed by Robert Moore. It's a satirical take on classic whodunit in the old country house on the hill, and the cast is a series of pastiches and send ups of classic detectives. Sam Spade, Miss Marple, Charlie Chan, and Nick and Nora Charles, and Hercule Poirot are all mocked as Sam Diamond, Miss Marbles, Sidney Wang, Dick and Dora Charleston, and Milo Perrier. It stars an ensemle cast of Eileen Brennan, Truman Capote, James Coco, Peter Falk, Alec Guinness, Elsa Lanchester, David Niven, Peter Sellers, Maggie Smith, Nancy Walker, and Estelle Winwood. And yeah, Truman Capote is acting in this movie, and Alec Guiness plays the blind butler.

I'd love to do an effort post on this, so maybe I'll do so after I get back from work. I recommend every to see in the interim, it's a fantastic movie.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

If we were doing non-American Noir, which is apparently the main influence here (does Australia even have a noir film tradition?) I'd do an effort post about Brother, which is the closest Russian film I know to a proper neo-noir crime drama. I think I might have made an effort post in the KGB LP or something?

Come to think of it, it might remind you a bit of Drive.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

SpookyLizard posted:

My favorite non-noir mystery movie is Murder By Death, a 1976 film written by Neil Simon and directed by Robert Moore. It's a satirical take on classic whodunit in the old country house on the hill, and the cast is a series of pastiches and send ups of classic detectives. Sam Spade, Miss Marple, Charlie Chan, and Nick and Nora Charles, and Hercule Poirot are all mocked as Sam Diamond, Miss Marbles, Sidney Wang, Dick and Dora Charleston, and Milo Perrier. It stars an ensemle cast of Eileen Brennan, Truman Capote, James Coco, Peter Falk, Alec Guinness, Elsa Lanchester, David Niven, Peter Sellers, Maggie Smith, Nancy Walker, and Estelle Winwood. And yeah, Truman Capote is acting in this movie, and Alec Guiness plays the blind butler.

I'd love to do an effort post on this, so maybe I'll do so after I get back from work. I recommend every to see in the interim, it's a fantastic movie.
PLEASE do, Murder By Death is one of the funniest goddamn films I have ever seen with a lot of classic actors coming altogether to riff on a lot of their own work.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Spatula City posted:

But I feel like they've strung this on a bit too long, and someone playing the game might start to get real frustrated that the game doesn't even allow you to follow up on some obvious leads (like actually going to the Crystal Ballroom).
This is actually the reason I got tired with the game. When a game is this procedural and this immersive, getting railroaded into illogical choices is pretty jarring.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Stare-Out posted:

You need a cup of my java.

Let me shave my tongue and then we'll go DANCING

FrozenCherry
Nov 12, 2013

paragon1 posted:

There's a big piece of evidence at the body's location that calls the hobo being the killer into question.

Tire tracks. I seriously doubt Ackerman owns a car.

I felt the same way with that piece of evidence, same with the dance hall.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I've got to say, all these loose ends are really frustrating me. There's so many questions that the game should be asking about these murders, but it goes out of its way to ignore these questions and we're just stuck here arresting someone because they'd look good behind bars. Why wouldn't we investigate the dance hall? Why does everyone here wear size 8 shoes? Is this what police work was like back then?

... Of course it was, why did I ask.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bman in 2288 posted:

I've got to say, all these loose ends are really frustrating me. There's so many questions that the game should be asking about these murders, but it goes out of its way to ignore these questions and we're just stuck here arresting someone because they'd look good behind bars. Why wouldn't we investigate the dance hall? Why does everyone here wear size 8 shoes? Is this what police work was like back then?

... Of course it was, why did I ask.

Honestly, we're lucky the game doesn't have us just straight-up beating innocent people with nightsticks for loitering. We're downright nice compared to the historical cops.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I'm kinda surprised the game doesn't let you best confessions out of people.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Holy shit! I have a tail?!

SpookyLizard posted:

I'm kinda surprised the game doesn't let you best confessions out of people.

Well, the point is that you're playing the weird loose cannon cop who *doesn't* smack people around with rubber hoses to close his cases. And inexplicably, your tactic of 'doing actual police work' seems to be succeeding. I suspect the brass had a meeting and said "OK, his methods are pretty outlandish...but let's see how this plays out. It's so crazy, it just might work!"

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I think it's kind of underlying message in LA Noire that policing isn't about actually punishing people for doing bad things - it's about maintaining the stability of the status quo. That's the reason why Galloway thinks Phelps is a gun-ho moron - he hasn't realized his job isn't about solving crimes, it's about punishing people for crimes, even if they haven't committed them.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The worrying thing is that apparently the LAPD at the time is an improvement over when one James Davis was running the department.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Yvonmukluk posted:

The worrying thing is that apparently the LAPD at the time is an improvement over when one James Davis was running the department.

Oh! An episode of The Dollop I haven't heard yet! Good pull.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yvonmukluk posted:

This is an amazing pro-click, and I want to name my kid Clifford Clinton now.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

CommissarMega posted:

This is an amazing pro-click, and I want to name my kid Clifford Clinton now.

Clifton's has recently been restored to its former glory too, after a few decades of languishing. I've been there a couple of times since the reopening, it's pretty awesome. Sometimes they do theme nights where the staff wears 1940's clothing, with groups of Sailors and GIs mingling around. The cafeteria is on the ground floor, with a dining floor and terraced stations for a big band to set up. Up on the 2nd floor there's a bar and lounge with a stage set against a massive tree that rises through the building. The third floor has a banquet hall/ nightclub and the tiki room. Everywhere there's taxidermied animals native to California- bears, deer, mountain lions, and coyotes.

The food ain't bad, either.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

ninjaiguana posted:

Well, the point is that you're playing the weird loose cannon cop who *doesn't* smack people around with rubber hoses to close his cases. And inexplicably, your tactic of 'doing actual police work' seems to be succeeding. I suspect the brass had a meeting and said "OK, his methods are pretty outlandish...but let's see how this plays out. It's so crazy, it just might work!"

"Phelps, how dare you not beat and arrest that man in front of his own children?! Now the commissioner is on my rear end about the lack of wrongful arrest lawsuits piling up on his desk! I want to see a felon riddled full of holes with no questions asked before the end of the week, or I'll have you out of here faster than a minority out the back door of a nightclub!"

Also, I agree with the people saying you should listen to that podcast.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
I came to this thread because I stopped playing la noir at vice, I'm staying for the movie reviews.

hexedangel
Mar 13, 2005

It's just a game we play... in the dark...

SpookyLizard posted:

"Gee, Pop, what do you think of all this?"

"Is confusing."

Love this movie.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Quiet Python posted:

Well, I'll give it a try
DMDWP is a fantastic love letter to noir. They put so much care into it. And in one of the most :psyduck: nonsequiteur references of all time, there's a song called Finger gently caress - the band's name is Friends of Carlotta and contains the recognizeable phrase "put your finger in the hole and make a tiny little circle"

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

oh Cole, shouting at old ladies.. at least he didn't accuse her of doing it :V

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Not until the title screen in the video did I realise that it wasn't called "the stupid secretary murder". Seemed a bit mean.

Also, do people not get their wedding rings inscribed in the US at that time? Never seen one that didn't have at least the wedding date if not names.

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 20, 2016

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Notes:
- This case too was based on a real murder.
- How did Jamison and the friends he gets together with meet and discover their shared proclivites in the first place?
- From the game wiki:

quote:

There are several logical problems with the evidence in this case. According to Tiernan, Evelyn stole McCaffrey's book on the evening of her death. But if, as Robbins testified, shae had not returned to Levine's Liquors since that morning, how did the book get there? As part of the overarching Black Dahlia subthread, Garrett Mason planted the murder weapon and letter- but both Tiernan and McCaffrey admit that the lug wrench and letter were in McCaffrey's apartment.
It seems likely that these discrepancies are caused by the script being rewritten by writers who were unable to keep the details consistent. It may be that the original plan was have this be an independent murder case not involving the Black Dahlia killer.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

I agree that Robbins' performance is very good and it's really nice and soft and stern-hearted. It's pretty perfect for the face of the character, it's nice to see parts of this game come down to the people themselves at being exceptional in understanding who they're supposed to be.

Also, what does Car 11K actually mean or rather who would it be for? Because I heard that all the time in old Looney Toons cartoons being used for basically any police radio call like "Car 11K, Car 11K, duck is on the run I repeat" so is that a coincidence or does it mean a specific patrolman?

I have heard of Double Indemnity but man it sounds like a more sexual version of Strangers on a Train frankly. But that's awesome though, I can't believe the original professor of Flubber was the guy in this movie either, this is some pretty twisted legal-fraud story I really like! All those little details the main character does to set up an alibi, is just incredible, makes me really wanna read some of James M. Cain's stories actually!

I would actually love to make an effort post about Who Framed Roger Rabbit, if you are not planning to cover it yourself Bobbin. Despite its rather outlandish setting it's a pretty fantastic noir film to hit all the buttons and even throw in a plot backdrop concerning LA's industrialisation.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

A left-handed killer, eh? You might say that he's... sinister.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

FinalGamer posted:

Also, what does Car 11K actually mean or rather who would it be for? Because I heard that all the time in old Looney Toons cartoons being used for basically any police radio call like "Car 11K, Car 11K, duck is on the run I repeat" so is that a coincidence or does it mean a specific patrolman?

K, or King, was the LAPD Callsign for 2 person unmarked police cars(E.G. Detective cars) with Citywide jurisdiction. The number is used to differentiate which car is being called.

In the training chapters, Phelps' car is 14 Adam. Adam is the callsign for a marked 2 person car.

The 11 might just be a coincidence or it's probably a reference to the same movie that Looney Toons was referencing.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

That chess position looks like a real game:

r2q1rk1/bppb1pp1/p1np1n1p/P3p1N1/1P2P2P/1BPP4/4QPP1/RNB1K2R w KQ - 0 13

I can only guess at the moves to get there, though. But it is possible, which is what makes it seem actual.
(One of many ways to do it: 1. e4 e5 2. Bc4 Nf6 3. c3 Be7 4. Nf3 O-O 5. d3 Bc5 6. Qe2 d6 7.
a4 Bd7 8. b4 Bb6 9. Bb3 a6 10. a5 Ba7 11. h4 Nc6 12. Ng5 h6)

e: Just realized the new case was already posted. This chess game is from the previous one, if anyone was confused.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 20, 2016

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Kopijeger posted:

Notes:
- This case too was based on a real murder.
- How did Jamison and the friends he gets together with meet and discover their shared proclivites in the first place?
- From the game wiki:

It seems likely that these discrepancies are caused by the script being rewritten by writers who were unable to keep the details consistent. It may be that the original plan was have this be an independent murder case not involving the Black Dahlia killer.

I think I can explain both these issues, actually. When Tiernan was talking about stealing the book, he was referring to a previous incident, most likely a different night on which they got drunk and screwed around. If that's not clear, then yes, it is probably poor scriptwriting and/or checking. As for the evidence, Tiernan probably blacked out that evening before coming to and finding Summers replaced by a bloody lug wrench, shirt, and torn letter. He panicked, brought the stuff to McCaffrey, and then blacked out again, which is why McCaffrey was in a position to explain things to Tiernan the next morning.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Thesaya posted:

Not until the title screen in the video did I realise that it wasn't called "the stupid secretary murder". Seemed a bit mean.

Oh good, I'm glad it wasn't just me that had to do a doubletake reading the title card :v:

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
DOUBLE INDEMNITY is playing in the Paramount Theater in downtown Austin on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. So I will not be watching the plot synopsis until later this week.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Kurieg posted:

K, or King, was the LAPD Callsign for 2 person unmarked police cars(E.G. Detective cars) with Citywide jurisdiction. The number is used to differentiate which car is being called.

In the training chapters, Phelps' car is 14 Adam. Adam is the callsign for a marked 2 person car.

The 11 might just be a coincidence or it's probably a reference to the same movie that Looney Toons was referencing.
Huh, that's pretty cool! I wonder why they chose King and Adam as names specifically for different cars. I'll assume the 11K has to be a movie reference of some sort since Looney Toons were pretty huge on making an absurd amount of movie references, especially the ones before 1946 at least.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

J.theYellow posted:

DOUBLE INDEMNITY is playing in the Paramount Theater in downtown Austin on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. So I will not be watching the plot synopsis until later this week.

Nice! It's quite enjoyable, with one of the finest examples of a "spider woman" that the noir genre delivers.

Speaking of Barbara Stanwyck, my dad worked on a TV movie with her in the 70's. Apparently she had that mix of good humor and professionalism that makes a day on the set go by much faster. They happened to be shooting on her birthday, so when she came in she lined up the crew and gave everyone a bottle of Jack and a kiss.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I think I can explain both these issues, actually. When Tiernan was talking about stealing the book, he was referring to a previous incident, most likely a different night on which they got drunk and screwed around. If that's not clear, then yes, it is probably poor scriptwriting and/or checking. As for the evidence, Tiernan probably blacked out that evening before coming to and finding Summers replaced by a bloody lug wrench, shirt, and torn letter. He panicked, brought the stuff to McCaffrey, and then blacked out again, which is why McCaffrey was in a position to explain things to Tiernan the next morning.

This is one of the ones where I'm pretty sure McCaffrey is actually the one that did it. He's smart enough and cruel enough to put this frame job on some loser who was in the wrong place at the right time.

e: though, given what happens next, well. :v:

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 21, 2016

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

I don't think the ceilings are actually metal tiles. At roughly that time period, it was very popular to have rolled sheets of copper with a repeating pattern as ceilings. So not so much a tile as a sort of "wallpaper" of metal. If you go to early 20th century parts of town you can often still see them. At least around Detroit.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Oberndorf posted:

I don't think the ceilings are actually metal tiles. At roughly that time period, it was very popular to have rolled sheets of copper with a repeating pattern as ceilings. So not so much a tile as a sort of "wallpaper" of metal. If you go to early 20th century parts of town you can often still see them. At least around Detroit.

It's still a really popular ceiling decoration in bars around LA. Mostly hip places but also many older ones. It's often been painted over but you can still make out the patterns.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

inscrutable horse posted:

A left-handed killer, eh? You might say that he's... sinister.

All the more reason if you decide on heading into a bar consider gira a sinistra e andar via al suo posto.

I have to say the illustrated cover to Anthony Comstock's Fighter would make fine cover art to an murican version of Phoenix Wright. :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

FinalGamer posted:

Huh, that's pretty cool! I wonder why they chose King and Adam as names specifically for different cars. I'll assume the 11K has to be a movie reference of some sort since Looney Toons were pretty huge on making an absurd amount of movie references, especially the ones before 1946 at least.

Quoting from the LA Noire wiki. King and Adam are military phonetic alphabet, I'm not sure Why they chose those specific letters but that's the way it was.

quote:

Below is a list of radio vehicle types and their alphabetical callsigns. The only callsigns mentioned in L.A. Noire are Adam, Boy, King, and William.

Adam - A patrol car occupied by two officers. Also known as a black-and-white, or a prowl-car. Phelps' patrol car callsign is '14 Adam'.
Air - A police helicopter. (LAPD had no helicopters during the L.A. Noire era, not getting their first one until 1956. Today they have 17 copters and one fixed-wing aircraft).
Boy - A one or two-officer patrol van, usually used for prisoner transport. Referred to as a B-wagon for short.
Edward - Ticket or Traffic radio car.
King - A two-detective unmarked radio car with citywide jurisdiction, such as Robbery, Homicide, or Forgery Divisions. They will often assist or take over major cases from "Divisional" detectives (W-William cars), as they have more personnel, and specialized resources and expertise. Phelps' detective car callsign is '11 King' or '11K'.
Lincoln - A patrol car occupied by one officer. Also known as a black-and-white, or a prowl-car.
Mary - A motorcycle based police officer. Motor officers are specifically assigned to enforce traffic laws, but will respond to emergency calls as well
William - A two-detective unmarked radio car assigned to a patrol division (as opposed to citywide "K" King detectives).
X-Ray - An extra or special patrol car.
Zebra - A unit on a special detail assignment for specific crimes or incidents only.

• Locked thread