Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

quote:

Attackers will remove armor from unconscious opponents if it is blocking attacks

This is awesome.

Loopoo posted:

Does the new update mean Dwarf therapist and graphical tilesets won't work until updated?

Therapist definitely, tilesets should work as he didn't add anything new there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

quote:

Attackers will remove armor from unconscious opponents if it is blocking attacks

I really hope that they always have to hit them a few times before they try that. DF creatures should be bloodthirsty enough that actually dealing with a problem is less important than just hitting things.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TheCIASentMe posted:

It'll add a couple steps to the process, but you should still be able to melt it down and reforge it all new.

Wonder if that will trigger masterpiece destruction effects.

PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013
I'm pretty sure I've seen art defacement happen when trading away damaged masterwork leather cloaks to cavarans, so melting down a damaged breastplate will probably do the same. Not to mention that you only salvage about a third of the iron/steel you put into it.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Loopoo posted:

Does the new update mean Dwarf therapist and graphical tilesets won't work until updated?

Anything that relies on us knowing where what is in the memory, meaning DFHack, DT and anything reliant on those, is knocked out until they're remapped (in the best case, just confirmed that it still works). Graphics depend on how much the raws got changed, probably not a lot this time.

We gotta start quantifying how the new combat poo poo works.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

PassingPie posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen art defacement happen when trading away damaged masterwork leather cloaks to cavarans, so melting down a damaged breastplate will probably do the same. Not to mention that you only salvage about a third of the iron/steel you put into it.

Defacement from trade was fixed here too:

quote:

Stopped masterpiece trades in containers from triggering artwork defacement

But perhaps that only applied to trade. We'll find out soon!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Okay, grand total of raw changes from .03:

creature_standard.txt
Kobolds got their agility numbers fixed.

[PHYS_ATT_RANGE:AGILITY:700:1200:1400:1500:1600:1800:2500]

plant_crops.txt, plant_standard.txt
Pig tails, rope reeds, flax, jute, hemp, cotton, ramie and kenaf were missing the stockpile identifiers for the paper mush.

[PREFIX:NONE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:2]
[REACTION_CLASS:PAPER_SLURRY]
[STOCKPILE_GLOB_PASTE]

Just throwing in a graphics pack that modifies raws will likely overwrite these, but they're easy to copypaste back in and they're not really a big deal even if you don't. Go hog wild.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Does the new version actually work for anyone? I just get some system errors about missing .dll files when I try to run it.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Mygna posted:

Does the new version actually work for anyone? I just get some system errors about missing .dll files when I try to run it.

I got that too. Are you running a 64-bit system by any chance? Unintuitively, you need to install the 32-bit (x86) runtime files.

e: lol it exits with a crash now

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

for the first time in like ten years, there might be a reason to start tweaking the tensile/torsion strengths of things

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
yessssss

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

That's going to be useful against certain arena builds.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Mygna posted:

That's going to be useful against certain arena builds.

I love that she immediately goes full Macbeth.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I have picked this up after a year of productivity. Currently I'm trying to build a wall outside of my fort, but I can't use materials from inside the fort to build it. Is this something from the previous couple updates or is this a bug in the new version.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That's not a problem I've had. What are you trying to build it out of? Stone? Is it forbidden? Is it something you can build walls out of and not something like clay?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

is Dwarves Stay Inside toggled?

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Met posted:

That's not a problem I've had. What are you trying to build it out of? Stone? Is it forbidden? Is it something you can build walls out of and not something like clay?

It was really weird and I just abandoned the fort because it was just weird. I think there was some glitch. When it was time to assign a material to the Wall, it wouldn't recognize anything that was 'inside'. So like I could have built it out of the wood that had fallen outside, but not the stone inside. There were other weird things like that.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Sounds like there wasn't a path to the inside. If a material is not reachable from the build site, it won't be listed.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

And a simple hosed up staircase or a locked door could easily be the one thing that breaks the link. Troubleshoot, troubleshoot!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I remember someone in this thread posting info about step calculations which was pretty cool.

Are there any tips in regards to fortress layout for minimal step decisions instead of the actual number of steps that a dwarf needs to take? Does this post even make any sense?

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007

Decrepus posted:

I remember someone in this thread posting info about step calculations which was pretty cool.

Are there any tips in regards to fortress layout for minimal step decisions instead of the actual number of steps that a dwarf needs to take? Does this post even make any sense?

Dwarf fortress uses a version of A* pathfinding, so you can use this tool to visualize potential fortress layouts: http://qiao.github.io/PathFinding.js/visual/

I recall someone messing around for some time to determine some dos and don'ts, but can't find the posts.

Anchors fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 21, 2016

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

that was tiler kiwi, peep dis

scamtank fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 21, 2016

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Manslaughter posted:

Sounds like there wasn't a path to the inside. If a material is not reachable from the build site, it won't be listed.

So I tried a bunch of things on that level, but I had dwarfs going in and out to go fishing, for example. If I tried to build a wall right next to the entrance, it couldn't be built. If I went down a level, like right below the entrance, I could build the wall. there were other weird things like my bookeeper had an office but he kept saying he couldn't do the stats because he didn't have an office. I figured something was fucky and abandoned the fortress.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Anchors posted:

Dwarf fortress uses a version of A* pathfinding, so you can use this tool to visualize potential fortress layouts: http://qiao.github.io/PathFinding.js/visual/

I recall someone messing around for some time to determine some dos and don'ts, but can't find the posts.

scamtank posted:

that was tiler kiwi, peep dis

Thanks. I love loving around with and loving this stuff up.

:getin:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

This is why it's worth the effort to micromanage your bedroom level, have it as a single open space, and divide them up entirely with doors.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I just do a vertical fort where each level is rarely larger than 22x22 or 33x33 (dorms are usually this large).

1. Dining and food processing. Farming level is usually 1z up and only accessible from the back end of the food processing area.
2. Noble rooms and offices
3-5 Standard dorms (using this layout)
6-7 Storage
8-9 Crafting
10 Trade

Trade is at the bottom as I provide an alternate route for caravans and visitors. My entry from the surface is usually blocked off by the second summer so the only way to the surface is through the visitor route. The visitor route has a TON of defenses along the way (traps, bridges to alter routes, elevated fortifications for archers, etc...).

With this layout I don't notice any performance issues related to pathing (or really anything outside of the normal "TREES" or "you have 10 trillion rocks and crafts" issues).

edit:

My current fort (~1.5 years in) for anyone curious: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-12680-moltenmanors

Current (top) entrance is on Z137, just right of the depot. The visitor entrance will be SW of that on Z135. Nearly done digging out the main pit, after which it needs some paved roads and stone walls.

necrotic fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 22, 2016

Qubee
May 31, 2013

why are the bedrooms so ugly? The chest and cabinets right in front of the door, and the bed in the middle instead of against the wall? Is there a reason for that or do people just like throwing OCD out the window

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yeah you should put the bed directly inside the door so you can save two steps on the dwarves entering and leaving their bedrooms before/after sleeping.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Loopoo posted:

why are the bedrooms so ugly? The chest and cabinets right in front of the door, and the bed in the middle instead of against the wall? Is there a reason for that or do people just like throwing OCD out the window

It's hard to have nice-looking rooms that have more than a bed that are less than 3x3. I use 3x3 rooms for my dwarves because you can put the bed in the middle and then bling out the surrounding tiles however you want, but for strict efficiency it can't be pretty.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

My bedrooms are always 2x3, bed in the middle against the back wall, cabinet and chest on either sides. Is there any point to putting tables and chairs and stuff in there, don't dwarves prefer to eat in a communal dining room anyway, and don't they miss out on the legendary dining room happy thought if you give them a table and chair in their own room?

Is there anything else that's useful to put in bedrooms anyway? I never really gave it much thought. I assumed dwarves could use a bed to sleep in, cabinet to dump clothes into and a chest to put trinkets in.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
big central staircases look nice neat and sane for us but I strongly suspect the pathfinding doesn't like them very much, since instead of thinking like a person and going "if i want to go downstairs i must find the stairs" it could very well go "if i want to go downstairs i must mash my face against the floor in an every expanding manner until i dribble down the central staircase after feeling out 25%+ of the current z-level"

probably better to have a bunch of decentralized stair chutes

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Stairs are no worse than doorways, are they? Like, you can rotate the map 90 degrees about the X axis and the pathfinding works the same way.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Right, but the design element is different. You might not mind having a single staircase from the surface the way down to the magma forge, but you wouldn't make the kitchen only accessible from the farm, which is only accessible from the barracks, which is only accessible from a particular bedroom, and so on.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I'm surprised there isn't a super sperg mode already that lets you define generalized pathing for 'McUrist wants to go from his bed to the dining hall' or 'Panic time lockdown has been ordered must get inside the fort'.

All those squiggles seem so damnably inefficient. Can't it remember the fastest route and use that instead of recalculating every single time, or does it already do that? This is the first time I've thought about this.

e. I haven't played this game in almost three years but I think about getting back into it all the time.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ambaire posted:

I'm surprised there isn't a super sperg mode already that lets you define generalized pathing for 'McUrist wants to go from his bed to the dining hall' or 'Panic time lockdown has been ordered must get inside the fort'.

All those squiggles seem so damnably inefficient. Can't it remember the fastest route and use that instead of recalculating every single time, or does it already do that? This is the first time I've thought about this.

e. I haven't played this game in almost three years but I think about getting back into it all the time.

Storing and accessing all the possible routes, plus validating and recalculating them every time a tile's accessibility changes would hardly be more efficient. Storing efficient paths would work in a game that has fixed geometry, but not here.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Ambaire posted:

that is what Traffic Designation is for.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Is that how they work? Like, instead of oozing in all compass directions equally, the fast lane fumbling gets to resolve a whole bunch of tiles per every standard operation?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's bog standard a* pathfinding isnt it?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

scamtank posted:

Is that how they work? Like, instead of oozing in all compass directions equally, the fast lane fumbling gets to resolve a whole bunch of tiles per every standard operation?

I think with weighting to make it prefer newer tiles or consistant direction or however it's done, it can cause the pathfinding to speed past diversions as long as it feels it is getting closer to it's destination. Not sure how the DF pathfinder is set up.

SynthOrange posted:

It's bog standard a* pathfinding isnt it?

iirc it's an implementation of it. since toady is a math guy, tho, modifying the algorithm's heuristics for DF would be something I'd expect.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jun 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

scamtank posted:

It moves to the tile with the lowest expected weighted distance to the target, so it basically crawls towards it in a straight line until it hits an obstacle / a tile with a high cost of traversing.