Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Did the spoilery shot from the trailer showing Jon riding into battle on horseback happen at all in this episode? From what I remember he got off his horse like a goober pretty quickly and never used another for the remainder of the battle.

Jon was on foot because his horse was a goober that died.

The zoom-and-enhance stuff on that trailer shot was always silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

BigglesSWE posted:

This would be the finale to end all finales.

It really was satisfying to find Ramsey in a situation in which he didn't come out on top. His 20 good men has finally abandoned him.

You'd also have thought that after Jon had stopped the second arrow with the shield, Ramsay would've put one in his kneecap.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You'd also have thought that after Jon had stopped the second arrow with the shield, Ramsay would've put one in his kneecap.

Or that Jon's men would've intervened.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
One thing that did bug me though was how those dogs (dogs trained to eat humans and have been starving for a week) just patiently waited offscreen while they dragged Ramsay in there, tied him to a chair, and waited till Sansa could get her cool-cucumber no one will remember you speech. Plus the dogs weren't even salivating. Do starving dogs look like they're about give you loves when they're about to eat your face or did the dog not have anything to act against from the last of the CG dog budget so they just figured that was good enough?

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

MrSlam posted:

One thing that did bug me though was how those dogs (dogs trained to eat humans and have been starving for a week) just patiently waited offscreen while they dragged Ramsay in there, tied him to a chair, and waited till Sansa could get her cool-cucumber no one will remember you speech. Plus the dogs weren't even salivating. Do starving dogs look like they're about give you loves when they're about to eat your face or did the dog not have anything to act against from the last of the CG dog budget so they just figured that was good enough?

They weren't actually starving they are trained animals and were presented like that for dramatic effect.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

MrSlam posted:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who questioned how Ramsay was dragged in to a room full of starving dogs, that then politely waited until Ramsay woke up and heard Sansa's little speech, before eating him.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Gone Baptizin posted:

They weren't actually starving they are trained animals and were presented like that for dramatic effect.

hmm sansa said they were starving she wouldn't lie to us

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Linguica posted:

"Actually, it's better for a military commander to have less information rather than more information" - multiple people in this thread

This is the real sticking point. All the tactical questions I can wave away in my head, I don't care if they take liberties with tactics to ramp up the drama, it worked for me. I just can't quite understand why Sansa didn't tell Jon that she asked Littlefinger for more troops. What's her motivation to withhold that? If she desperately wants to delay the battle, her advice without that information isn't working, Jon isn't convinced. He may ignore her, he may disagree, but the route she took meant he could've died and thousands of men died unnecessarily.

The only evidence from the show we have is Littlefinger sowing distrust between them when they met in Moletown. Which is ludicrous, she obviously should trust Jon many times more than Littlefinger. Is that it? I just don't know. It's pretty ludicrous.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Nuebot posted:

Cool battle, shame about the rest of the episode. Sansa's getting a bit too into the violence I think.

I really liked that moment. She looked like she wanted to turn away for just an instant, but nope. Good bit of acting.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Phenotype posted:

I was hoping to see the giant bow, too. It strikes me that, in an age of catapults and trebuchets, a giant armed with that enormous bow and ballista-sized arrows would make an amazing mobile artillery unit. I didn't think he should be leading the charge like he did, because he seems so comparatively vulnerable to enemy arrows and spears.

I also think you guys are simplifying how easy it would be for even a giant to break through a shield wall like that. Those spears aren't stuck pointing forward, and the whole point of a wall like that is for your neighbors to reinforce you. They even showed a few of Wun Wun's attempts -- he reached over the wall and grabbed a couple of the spearmen, but the ones around his victims jabbed him with their 10-foot spears, and he makes a huge target when he's right next to you. He might have killed quite a few, but there were several rows of spearmen in the phalanx, and if he stayed close enough to grab them, he'd be exposing himself to the spears of everyone he wasn't mauling. Heck, even if he hadn't forgotten to bring his club, I don't know that a good swing into the shieldwall wouldn't have just been answered by the next rank of spearmen stabbing him in the guts.

A phalanx is a bitch. It was used basically until gunpowder devices changed hiw wars were fought, but a phalanx requires training. Requires men who understand the formation. Its slow, and while hard to beat has drawbacks. If the boltons had phalanx units, this is something the entire north would know, they were united under robb with the bloody loving boltons. So i know realism means gently caress all here but it does bother me how the phalanx was used, how amazed and surprised everyone acted, and why between jon snow and davos, learned in war emough to buikd counters to calvalry tactics, didnt anticipate bejng encircled by spearmen at least by the time ramsay murdered rickon. Hate to sperg. Because itsa tv show and im not a medieval historian or tactician but it has managed to bother me anyway.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Atreiden posted:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who questioned how Ramsay was dragged in to a room full of starving dogs, that then politely waited until Ramsay woke up and heard Sansa's little speech, before eating him.

The return of warging.

Oh.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Starks have a natural bonus to Caninemancy.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I really liked that moment. She looked like she wanted to turn away for just an instant, but nope. Good bit of acting.

That was a great bit actually, how she turns back and force herself to watch Ramsay die.

God, I have to say it was really cathartic to have him killed off like that. I hated his character, not so much by his actions (cruel as they were) but rather due to his infuriatingly God-mode-esque habit of waltzing through hostile political climates with a stiff smile.

No ill will to the actor, of course. He did his part just fine.

Risky
May 18, 2003

It'll be nice to see the Stark sigil on Winterfell again in the credits next week.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

BigglesSWE posted:

That was a great bit actually, how she turns back and force herself to watch Ramsay die.

God, I have to say it was really cathartic to have him killed off like that. I hated his character, not so much by his actions (cruel as they were) but rather due to his infuriatingly God-mode-esque habit of waltzing through hostile political climates with a stiff smile.

We've really gotten some great villain performances.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Risky posted:

It'll be nice to see the Stark sigil on Winterfell again in the credits next week.

Mockingbird.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Ague Proof posted:

Mockingbird.

Ain't it a Falcon?

edit: Oh right, Baelish.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 21, 2016

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
ok who gets the dreadfort now tho

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

an skeleton posted:

The dogs that killed Ramsay obviously.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

The Mereen scene.

On the one hand I want roll my eyes out of my head how convenient and clean that whole scene was. On the other hand, sieges are long, intolerable, actionless, painful affairs where you lose a lot of people and GRRM sure makes you feel it. Could you imagine how long a protracted siege between four loving cities would take George to write himself out of?

D&D could've had Dany bend over and blue-dart all the ships with dragonfire while Tyrion did a merry jig and I'd just be happy we're out of Mereen.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

BigglesSWE posted:

Oh god, yes. I think it was even better than Joffrey's death. Joffrey choked to death with everyone just kinda screaming and wondering what to do, and with both the actual perpetrators and Joffrey's victims offscreen, but Ramsay actually got beat the gently caress down by Jon Snow the protagonist, and Sansa the victim got to deliver a gently caress you speech and give him a more gruesome death than Joffrey got. It was way more satisfying to see the main characters actively get it done.

Risky
May 18, 2003

an skeleton posted:

I will pay the iron asking price for it. It will be a nice addition to my summer home on Pentos.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So House Umber and Karstark- they'll all be put to the sword I imagine?

Edit: Assuming there are any remaining people in line

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 21, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Also, I like how all those soldiers just drop their weapons and shields and flee off stage like its a Police Academy movie.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Preston Jacobs raises another issue about how Sansa not telling Jon is stone cold stupid in noting how it makes no sense that Ramsey wouldn't have learned about the Vale army. Specifically, how no one would have bothered to mention an Army of the Vale taking Moat Cailin ( which at least in the books is held by the Boltons) or how none of the castles in the north would have bothered to send ravens about a large army travelling through the countryside (if they didn't tell Ramsay they certainly would have told Jon).

The idea of a medieval army of that size, primarily mounted troops, traveling distances as large as needed to go from the Vale to Winterfell without being noticed is laughable.

And such a massive plothole wasn't necessary at all. It wouldn't have detracted from the story at all for both Ramsey and Jon to know the Vale was on the way. Ramsey then decides to attack and destroy the smaller wildling army, kill sansa and Jon and Rickon, before the Vale army arrives to change the balance of power. The dramatic flow of the battle can be the same with a heroic cavalry charge except it all would make a like of sense.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Preston Jacobs raises another issue about how Sansa not telling Jon is stone cold stupid in noting how it makes no sense that Ramsey wouldn't have learned about the Vale army. Specifically, how no one would have bothered to mention an Army of the Vale taking Moat Cailin ( which at least in the books is held by the Boltons) or how none of the castles in the north would have bothered to send ravens about a large army travelling through the countryside (if they didn't tell Ramsay they certainly would have told Jon).

The idea of a medieval army of that size, primarily mounted troops, traveling distances as large as needed to go from the Vale to Winterfell without being noticed is laughable.

And such a massive plothole wasn't necessary at all. It wouldn't have detracted from the story at all for both Ramsey and Jon to know the Vale was on the way. Ramsey then decides to attack and destroy the smaller wildling army, kill sansa and Jon and Rickon, before the Vale army arrives to change the balance of power. The dramatic flow of the battle can be the same with a heroic cavalry charge except it all would make a like of sense.

episode owned nerd

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

How long is the next episode? This weeks was like 68 minutes which is longer than average.

Also I can't remember, did it ever say who sent the creepy knife guy to kill Bran in bed in season 1? Was it Tyrion?

Also also who the gently caress was the lady with the face mask in Quarth who said some riddle sounding bullshit to Jorah like twice in I think season 2 or 3?

Risky
May 18, 2003

drunken officeparty posted:

Also also who the gently caress was the lady with the face mask in Quarth who said some riddle sounding bullshit to Jorah like twice in I think season 2 or 3?

Some weird lady from Asshai; some kind of ghost town where all the magic peoples live. Shame we will probably never see it on the show.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Also I can't remember, did it ever say who sent the creepy knife guy to kill Bran in bed in season 1? Was it Tyrion?

Joffery did, little poo poo figured it was a mercy cause it's better to be dead than a cripple.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

It was never solved in the show and the whole thing got dropped after Bronn won the trial by combat, but IIRC in the books it was Joffrey. He overheard Robert saying something along the lines of "being a cripple sucks, someone should just put the poor kid out of his misery", and so he stole Tyrion's knife and hired the assassin. Joff thought doing all this would get Robert's approval because he assumed Robert was serious about it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

GRRM basically said, "It was Joffrey or whatever. Stop asking me."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Don't know if it's been in the show, but Joffrey sent him with one of Roberts knives.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

hemophilia posted:

So i know realism means gently caress all here but it does bother me how the phalanx was used, how amazed and surprised everyone acted, and why between jon snow and davos, learned in war emough to buikd counters to calvalry tactics, didnt anticipate bejng encircled by spearmen at least by the time ramsay murdered rickon. Hate to sperg. Because itsa tv show and im not a medieval historian or tactician but it has managed to bother me anyway.

Jon Snow: What if they use a phalanx against us?

Davos: The unsullied are masters of such tactics..and they die like bitches to dudes with knives, which is why i didnt hire any for Stannis, it shouldn't be a problem.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

tadashi posted:

I don't understand why Davos' reaction to finding Shireen's toy wasn't bigger.

IMO it speaks volumes of Davos' character that he would put his personal grudge aside for the more important battle ahead, even if he was risking dieing and never getting his revenge in the process . I was totally expecting for Davos to suddenly flip it midway through the battle and go after Melisandre, giving Ramsay an opening for his sheenanigans, but it never happened (though this was all probably accidental character development due to lack of time to resolve his plot this episode and not intended by the producers).

This is why Davos is the only character that I'm currently rooting for both in the books and in the show. Most of the characters I root for in the books have gone full retard on the show.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Davos is going to find a taxidermied Stannis in Ramsay's bedroom.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

lezard_valeth posted:

IMO it speaks volumes of Davos' character that he would put his personal grudge aside for the more important battle ahead, even if he was risking dieing and never getting his revenge in the process . I was totally expecting for Davos to suddenly flip it midway through the battle and go after Melisandre, giving Ramsay an opening for his sheenanigans, but it never happened (though this was all probably accidental character development due to lack of time to resolve his plot this episode and not intended by the producers).

This is why Davos is the only character that I'm currently rooting for both in the books and in the show. Most of the characters I root for in the books have gone full retard on the show.

White Walker'd Stannis if going to kill Davos just as a gently caress you to anyone whoever likes or gets attached to any person in these books/show.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wish Ramsay would've tried to squeeze in a "I changed my mind again!" when he ran out of arrows/distance between him and Jon. Or pull out a pair of specs and be all "you wouldn't hit a guy with glasses, would ya?"

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Interesting video on the visual effects for that episode: http://variety.com/video/game-of-thrones-battle-of-the-bastards-visual-effects/

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Preston brought up a funny point: Theon wasn't a dick to Tyrion when they met; it was the other way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wintrrmute
Jul 28, 2002

(Borat voice) "MAH WIFE!"
Wrong thread. Go Starks

• Locked thread