Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I have played 30 hours of this game and have maybe been killed by Lucio's doot like 5 times. It's an epidemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it
I like when people get knocked into the pits of death because then I get to say "luciowned" in the chat :shobon:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I know we're past the Zarya chat from earlier, but if you want to see some superb Zarya play click around to basically anywhere in this video (probably want to skip like the first 5 minutes though unless you speak Korean):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaXsmG4g3Xk
Apparently there was some drama surrounding her play with some hack accusations and Blizzard Korea came in and checked and said she's legit, and then they streamed her playing to show it. But whatever, the situational awareness and map denial and twitch reflexes on display here are pretty amazing to watch.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ragequit posted:

I have played 30 hours of this game and have maybe been killed by Lucio's doot like 5 times. It's an epidemic.

I spent half my time in Nepal Sanctum last night trying to out-doot the other team's Lucio; I actually managed to push him off the ledge 3 times but he always climbed out of it. The 4th one did the trick luckily.

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

BobTheJanitor posted:

I know we're past the Zarya chat from earlier, but if you want to see some superb Zarya play click around to basically anywhere in this video (probably want to skip like the first 5 minutes though unless you speak Korean):
Apparently there was some drama surrounding her play with some hack accusations and Blizzard Korea came in and checked and said she's legit, and then they streamed her playing to show it. But whatever, the situational awareness and map denial and twitch reflexes on display here are pretty amazing to watch.

How the gently caress can someone play on such a tiny mousepad

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Ragequit posted:

I've been knocked off the side of Illios by Lucio when playing Reaper so many times and I can't help but laugh at it every time it happens. It's my own fault for going on the left or right entrance, just like it's my own fault when I run over a Junkrat's death grenades even though I play Junkrat more than any other character.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

In honor of the Copa and Euros please add a cheevo for taking a soccer ball from my spawn to theirs, TIA

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Bloody Pancreas posted:

You're right, most of the time you won't get knocked off an edge. On the whole Blizzard made good maps. There are however egregious examples of areas that heavily favor knockback heroes. I had a lot of issues with it recently and decided to explain my frustration with this. It's a bit of a shame that the only arguments in support of this are either avoiding those paths (often times not possible) or just to "deal with it." It's nice to see that this thread was locked down for a good reason, i'll steer clear from it in the future.

have you tried getting better at the game? I almost never get knocked off and die but I'm also quite good at this game :)

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
If you go prone it's nearly impossible to get knocked off. In the case of Lucio's boop or Pharah's concussion grenade there's basically no downside.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Environmental kills are the only way I get final blows as Lúcio please don't take this away from me.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

ImPureAwesome posted:

You can escape pits/cliffs as pharah, Winston, dva, mercy, Lucio, genji, tracer, probably junkrat, probably a few others, hanzo?

Hanzo's pretty iffy since he doesn't have a movement ability to get close enough to a wall to climb it like genji, and he doesn't have Lucio's speed boost to reverse his momentum. Definitely possible just not likely.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

It's hard to doop off Roadhog or Reinhart. You totally can, they're just heavy. Maybe play them if it's a huge problem?

I like that some maps make particular heroes more viable than others. I still want to do a 6v6 all Lucio on Ilos or Nepal.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

every time i think i've booped someone off a cliff i say "bye nerd!!!!!" and then i see them float gently back on to the ledge and kill me

the physics in this game do not like me

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Last time I dooped a Roadhog, I got hooked and reflected upon my own hubris :negative:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

NmareBfly posted:

It's hard to doop off Roadhog or Reinhart. You totally can, they're just heavy. Maybe play them if it's a huge problem?

I like that some maps make particular heroes more viable than others. I still want to do a 6v6 all Lucio on Ilos or Nepal.

Roadhog and Reinhardt aren't heavier than other heroes, they are knocked back the exact same amount as others and it's actually easier to knock them in life because their models are taller.

Also I don't recommend playing Reinhardt in koth, he's pretty bad on almost every map

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Oh, really? They always seem to get way less booped when I boop them. Maybe I'm crazy.

Also Korean Zarya pronounces Toblestein weird when she goes for it.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Reinhardt is okay on Lijiang Garden but that map is a wreck anyway

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

D Va is definitely less effected by knocks or else I'm crazy.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I used to think tanks were less effected by knockbacks, but it's really easy to see when you and a lighter teammate both get hit by the same concussive rocket.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

ceaselessfuture posted:

Last time I dooped a Roadhog, I got hooked and reflected upon my own hubris :negative:

In an opposite experience of this, I was playing Roadhog a little while ago on Illios and ended up saving an enemy Mei by tossing my hook at her just as she accidentally backpedaled into the pit.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I've been playing D.Va even though she's terrible, and oddly enough having some success.

On Volskaya Defense, we had a lot of time to kill. I decided to make it my role to wait for the enemy Pharah to ult and then shut her down with defense matrix. I shut three of the four ults of hers down, and missed one because I was on foot at the time. We held on for the win.

Our team was totally dominated and failed to cap the payload on Numbani attack. So on defense we started out demoralized, and decided that after we died, we'd switch to Winston and shout that meme thing. Only two of us switched, and after I leapt into the middle of the enemy twice and died, I decided to switch my suffering and swapped to D.Va. I basically sat her on the payload to defend it as long as I could. It actually kinda worked. Naturally, I saved one ult charge for the final few seconds to sit the mech right on top so you couldn't hide from it behind the payload. We actually won the round.

I also tried her on KotH. The close quarters you find around the point puts enemies into D.Va's preferred killing zone, and I got gold in eliminations and objective kills with her on Nepal in a pair of 2-0 wins. Her ult is naturally good in the final seconds of the map to keep the enemy from trying to cap or lengthen overtime. There was also a good 30 seconds where I was jumping around in pilot form having a duel with a Hanzo. I won and obviously had to use my heartbreaker emote.

I think I'm getting much better with her, which means the buff Blizzard is going to do will make her even more effective.

BobTheJanitor posted:

:stare: Is... is this being played at 1.5x speed or something?

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

QUESTION

Can Junkrat's riptire be teleported in your team's symmetra teleporter?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Vargs posted:

In an opposite experience of this, I was playing Roadhog a little while ago on Illios and ended up saving an enemy Mei by tossing my hook at her just as she accidentally backpedaled into the pit.

The hook giveth and the hook taketh away. All hail the hook.

Ahhpple posted:

How the gently caress can someone play on such a tiny mousepad

It's quite easy, you just pick up and slap down the mouse a whole lot and learn to live with the carpal tunnel you'll have by the time you hit your 30s. Why yes, I used to play on a tiny desk with like 6 inches of mouse space, why do you ask?

The sad part is, now that I've moved up to having a human sized desk, the years I've spent playing at high sens have ruined me. If I can't 180 with a quick flick, I play terribly. (more terribly that is)

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

I play mainly Pharah and I tend to get 4-6 environmental kills on the maps that allow it. If I don't get a card based on purely environmental kills then the game has been a waste of my time and consider myself a failure

Best knock off zones as Pharah -

1) Lijang Tower - Night Market. You can get a heap of kills going to the other teams side entrance to the point, try get them as they are nearing the entrance to the point rather than at the bottom of the stairs.
2) Nepal - Shrine. People on the actual platform tend to be a little more aware and hide in the little back area of the point but you can get a heap of sneaky kills as people are rushing the point. If people are flanking and firing onto the point from between the pillars, your concussion shot will generally knock them all the way onto the platform - for good or bad.
3) Lijang Tower - Garden. If you have Lucio on your team then make a run for the other teams bridge, can often get a couple of people as they rush the point, also guys circling the point.
4) Ilios - Lighthouse. Basically the same as Night Market
5) Ilios - Well. Not as good because people are massively aware of the well, if you need your environment kill fix on this map I would go Roadhog

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Pumpy Dumper posted:

QUESTION

Can Junkrat's riptire be teleported in your team's symmetra teleporter?

negative ghostrider

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

NmareBfly posted:

Oh, really? They always seem to get way less booped when I boop them. Maybe I'm crazy.

Also Korean Zarya pronounces Toblestein weird when she goes for it.

Theyre bigger and therefore more likely to get caught on geometry.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

What's up with Winston and Dva? They don't seem to do enough damage to be effective. I see a lot of Dvas, but are rarely killed by them except for the exploding mech ult.* I rarely see Winston. Getting kills as either feels like pulling teeth, although Winston's shield is useful. Even the support characters seem to do more damage.

I've been playing a lot of Lucio lately. Is DvA particularly bad against him? This could be explained by her being an easy target for the sound gun due to large size and immobility when shooting; perhaps lucios small size and boosted speed can protect him from the shotgun-spread of her guns?

Now that I think about it, Dva and Winston are both high-HP / low-close-damage heroes with a shield and speed/height boost ability.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 21, 2016

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Anyone else have problems with completely out of control lag and high pings, but only in this game? I just quit out of a match because my ping was over 1500 almost consistently, yet nothing else I do has that problem. It was bad when the game launched but for me it's just gotten worse and these past few days have been almost unplayable.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dominoes posted:

What's up with Winston and Dva? They don't seem to do enough damage to be effective. I see a lot of Dvas, but are rarely killed by them except for the exploding mech ult. I rarely see Winston. Getting kills as either feels like pulling teeth, although Winston's shield is useful. Even the support characters seem to do more damage.

Winston is all about using his mobility to pick off squishier characters with lowish close-range damage output, like Widowmaker and Mercy. He doesn't do a lot of damage, but he can take a lot of damage, his shield gives hin some tactical advantage, and his lightning gun negates a log of defensive abilities so he can often win the damage race or at least force people to retreat as long as it's 1v1 (except against tank-shredders like Reaper). The basic Winston play is to spot the solo Widowmaker, use your jump to hurtle across the battlefield and right into her face, drop a shield, and start zapping her. Either she'll try to fight back and die, she'll try to run away and die, or she'll use her grappling hook to escape and you can just chase her and do it again because your cooldown is shorter than hers is. Once she's dead or one of her teammates shows up, use your jump to bail out back to somewhere safer, go grab a healthkit, and start looking for another lone character to jump on.

D.VA is similar...ish. She's kind of flawed right now and isn't quite the same kind of package as Winston, but the same basic principle applies - use her amazing low-cooldown mobility ability and powerful defensive ability to close in on lone weaklings and squishies, kill them or force them to retreat, and then use the boost to either pursue the target or flee the reinforcements. Her cannons do much higher single-target damage than Winston's, but it doesn't autoaim or bypass defenses and she can't keep up with her target while moving, so her list of preferred prey is somewhat different and she's overall less likely to get kills. She also shines at harassment - her guns deal just enough damage at range that people can't completely ignore her, and her abilities make her really good at escaping before anyone can kill her...though harassment often isn't especially useful against a solid team! Also, note that she's a lot more vulnerable than Winston; her Defense Matrix can't be used in combat, and although she has more armor than he does, her headshot zone is a lot easier to hit since it's bigger and in the middle of her model.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Hello friends, I made an Overwatch griefing video like those old ones people used to make for TF2. I'll probably be banned for it though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nqby4-dyLI
Alright, that's my Overwatch story.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

That owns

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Can McCree be removed from the character select screen? It's getting old seeing people pick thinking it's an easy win and be totally dead weight on the team. There's never a good time to pick McCree now anyways.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I hope they improve the Social tools in this game. Off the top of my head, I would love the following:

-The ability to accept an invite without being kicked from game
-The ability to join a friends game and be instantly grouped with them without forcing an invite
-The ability to view someones group size and invite a whole group to join your group.
-In relation to the above, see current friends, their group and status in group/recent players interface.
-Custom chat channels
-Outside of Overwatch, but Battlenet in general - The ability to set a player note before they have accepted your friend request.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Can McCree be removed from the character select screen? It's getting old seeing people pick thinking it's an easy win and be totally dead weight on the team. There's never a good time to pick McCree now anyways.

Fun fact, there's middle ground between easy mode and deadweight

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

flatluigi posted:

Fun fact, there's middle ground between easy mode and deadweight

There sure is, and that's called picking 76 whenever you feel like picking McCree.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

xcore posted:

I hope they improve the Social tools in this game. Off the top of my head, I would love the following:

-The ability to accept an invite without being kicked from game
-The ability to join a friends game and be instantly grouped with them without forcing an invite
-The ability to view someones group size and invite a whole group to join your group.
-In relation to the above, see current friends, their group and status in group/recent players interface.
-Custom chat channels
-Outside of Overwatch, but Battlenet in general - The ability to set a player note before they have accepted your friend request.

I just want one thing out of group stuff. If we have a group of six, and someone disconnects, I would literally rather be down a player than get some random player who takes up the spot of the person in the group. It's so dumb that if someone disconnects, and they come back they then have to spectate because some rando got placed on the team. Just give us the option to toggle on and off

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Fibby Boy posted:

Just got to experience a 5 dva/1 lucio game on king's row. It was magical watching the enemy team cycle through hero's trying to find the right counter. They eventually got something resembling a counter but it was too late as it had gone to overtime. I dropped my mech on the point and watched as a reinhardt valiantly pushed it away from his team....only for three more ults to get dropped on the point behind him. :allears:

I've been on the other side of that exact thing. Does your Lucio write "THE WORLD NEEDS MORE SALT" repeatedly in all chat while you're doing it?

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Winston chat continuation: Never pick Winston against Torb. Not only is Winston bad against Torb personally, but his armor packs will totally destroy your ability to kill any other good targets because you do like 30 dps against armor.

Cordyceps
May 16, 2011
is there any real justification for Symmetra on attack or koth, or am I being a ~genji main~ but somehow worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Cordyceps posted:

a ~genji main~ but somehow worse