Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LeeMajors posted:

Baked goods and cars aren't specifically designed to kill people.

Looks like someone doesn't practice Extreme Baking. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I mean, none of these measures were really any good. Least of all the one based on the super specious watchlist. If the dems get the senate something good might happen

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

emdash posted:

I mean, none of these measures were really any good. Least of all the one based on the super specious watchlist. If the dems get the senate something good might happen

Could you translate that into spanish

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

emdash posted:

This is very true. They should've been voting on a nationwide ban and confiscation if our government had an entire brain among them.

Otherwise we are stuck with Dead Reckoning lecturing us about how a school full of dead children isn't reason enough to deny an olympic target shooter his or her implements.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

fishmech posted:

Or isn't a big enough Titus Andronichus fan.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

LeeMajors posted:

Keep banging that drum.

There's a reason gun sales should be heavily regulated--because they are goddamned deadly weapons that make killing infinitely easy.
So if someone designed and sold a hunting rifle that happened to be really effective at killing people, that would be OK in your book?

emdash posted:

Yes, I'm sure Dianne Feinstein sponsoring a bill with the twofold effect of restricting guns and expanding the power of the national security apparatus was totally her idea of a pragmatic compromise, or maybe some six dimensional chess to force Republicans to go on record about gun control, and not the same thing she's been doing the last two decades.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Dead Reckoning posted:

So if someone designed and sold a hunting rifle that happened to be really effective at killing people, that would be OK in your book?

Negative. Guns exist for killing. They were invented to kill people and exist to either kill or practice killing. They are deadly weapons and are used as such. They should be regulated like the extreme public safety nuisance they are.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Dead Reckoning posted:

Aren't they all really effective at killing people?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

greatn posted:

He's caught up on whether a specific gun is designed to kill people, or animals or targets. The fact that they are all deadly weapons and are designed as such doesn't enter into the equation because he is a sociopath.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Explosives, at least broad categories of them, are designed for industrial purposes. Incidentally, they're also really good at killing people.

I'm not upset at all that there are regulations around the sale, use and transfer of explosives.

The designer's intent isn't really relevant.

MsJoelBoxer
Aug 31, 2004

Your judicial opinions hypnotize me.
Well, Pat Toomey is still a hypocritical gently caress.

quote:

Starting 11 a.m. yesterday through early this morning, Sen. Christopher S. Murphy of Connecticut held the Senate floor to call for stricter gun control following the country’s worst ever mass shooting this past weekend in Orlando.

Pa. Senators Pat Toomey, a Republican, and Bob Casey, a Democrat, joined Murphy. All three live-tweeted the marathon, thanking the flood of supporters who reached out via social media, calls and emails.

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2016/06/16/pa-senators-gun-control-filibuster/

Oh, but wait, when it came time for the vote, look who voted against background checks.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

It isn't really a loophole though, that's the way the law works on most things. Holding a bake sale doesn't make your kitchen a restaurant subject to helath inspections, and selling your car doesn't make your garage a car dealership.

We can still regulate private sellers though.

If I sell my car, the buyer is still required to do title transfer and pay sales tax on it, for example. I don't see why anyone would object to requiring private sellers to ensure that they buyer isn't a criminal, since selling a gun to someone who isn't legally allowed to possess it is already against the law, why wouldn't we want to enforce that law.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

MsJoelBoxer posted:

Oh, but wait, when it came time for the vote, look who voted against background checks.

Remember how there were people here in this selfsame forum who refused to turn out for Joe Sestak in 2010, and let Toomey win? Yeah, that wasn't a good move. Take note, Sanders holdouts.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

Negative. Guns exist for killing. They were invented to kill people and exist to either kill or practice killing. They are deadly weapons and are used as such. They should be regulated like the extreme public safety nuisance they are.

Agreed. Single round, bolt-action rifles are all anyone needs for hunting. Ban everything else.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The designer's intent isn't really relevant.

Sure, but with guns it's just a feather in the fedora of awfulness.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

VitalSigns posted:

If I sell my car, the buyer is still required to do title transfer and pay sales tax on it, for example. I don't see why anyone would object to requiring private sellers to ensure that they buyer isn't a criminal, since selling a gun to someone who isn't legally allowed to possess it is already against the law, why wouldn't we want to enforce that law.

It's such a hassle though. Do you know how long that paperwork takes to fill out? Like twenty minutes man. This is America.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Deteriorata posted:

Agreed. Single round, bolt-action muzzle loading black powder rifles are all anyone needs for hunting. Ban everything else.

There, like the founders intended.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Oh good at least the No True Progressive chats over.

If you think the gun measures were anything but political theater you're an absolute idiot.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

DemeaninDemon posted:

Oh good at least the No True Progressive chats over.

If you think the gun measures were anything but political theater you're an absolute idiot.

Yeah they were all halfassed because the only thing that matters is legislation that falls on the spectrum between a zero-loophole/100% registration or a total ban.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

fishmech posted:

Holy poo poo I laughed at a fishmech post :shobon:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Chokes McGee posted:

Holy poo poo I laughed at a fishmech post :shobon:

Oh ho, he's got you for life now

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

LeeMajors posted:

Oh, OK, so private ownership of RADAR, rockets, modern airplanes, and microwaves should be illegal. Because they were invented to kill people.

I have no idea how you keep typing out "guns were designed for killing. They should be illegal because they are effective at killing people" and not realizing why those two ideas don't relate to each other.

greatn posted:

Kinda my point. They are also not unique in that regard. If one person menaces another with a knife designed for the finest kitchens in Europe rather than a bayonet designed for war, the distinction is generally lost on the person at the pointy end.

VitalSigns posted:

For sure. The notion that it's "common sense" that they should be regulated like licensed dealers is absurd though.

As to the second part, we still have to square the question of how we're going to let private parties run checks on each others' warrants, convictions, restraining orders, immigration status, and no-fly-listed-ness. I explained upthread why the current state of affairs for private party sales actually isn't a significant problem.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

MsJoelBoxer posted:

what a gutless coward

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

LeeMajors posted:

Keep banging that drum.

There's a reason gun sales should be heavily regulated--because they are goddamned deadly weapons that make killing infinitely easy.

Gotta love when gun nuts go on about all the other ways you can kill people when guns were invented because those other ways were not expedient enough. Gun nuts are stupid people.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Reckoning posted:

Oh, OK, so private ownership of RADAR, rockets, modern airplanes, and microwaves should be illegal. Because they were invented to kill people.

I have no idea how you keep typing out "guns were designed for killing. They should be illegal because they are effective at killing people" and not realizing why those two ideas don't relate to each other.

Kinda my point. They are also not unique in that regard. If one person menaces another with a knife designed for the finest kitchens in Europe rather than a bayonet designed for war, the distinction is generally lost on the person at the pointy end.

For sure. The notion that it's "common sense" that they should be regulated like licensed dealers is absurd though.

As to the second part, we still have to square the question of how we're going to let private parties run checks on each others' warrants, convictions, restraining orders, immigration status, and no-fly-listed-ness. I explained upthread why the current state of affairs for private party sales actually isn't a significant problem.

all have other uses aside from ending life or practicing your aim so that you can more easily end life.

don't mind me! just gonna cook some bacon on muh gun and then fly on it to another country or maybe into space!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

Why is this question even a problem. The prospective buyer already has to sign and submit a Firearms Transaction Record form, you can't just run random NCIS checks on anyone you want even if you are a licensed arms dealer. I'm sure we could come up with appropriate penalties if, for example, an employer requires prospective employees to fill out a bogus form as a condition of employment (assuming those don't exist already for a licensed dealer who tries to abuse the system that same way)

And from what I understand it just comes back confirm/deny with a process to appeal, I don't think the dealer gets all the dirty details on someone's warrants, convictions, restraining orders etc. Is this correct?

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Deteriorata posted:

Agreed. Single round, bolt-action rifles are all anyone needs for hunting. Ban everything else.

Quoting for context...

Sport can be preserved by providing controlled access to public arsenals, there is no need to allow private ownership in the name of sport.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Dead Reckoning posted:

Doesn't directly kill people, heavily regulated, heavily regulated, doesn't directly kill people.

"Battleships exist, so I guess we should ban JOHN BOATS HUH? Your move libtard :smuggo: "

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Dead Reckoning posted:

Radar and microwaves are no use for killing people, and airplanes and rockets are more regulated than guns. Even radar, and any sort of microwave transmitter past the one in an oven, are more regulated than guns.

also none of those things except maybe rockets were even invented to kill people :ssh:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ah the good old kitchen knife argument.

Why is everyone so uptight about nuclear proliferation, if terrorists stabbed everyone in New York City in the heart with a sharp knitting needle they'd be just as dead, libtard.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

James Garfield posted:

also none of those things except maybe rockets were even invented to kill people :ssh:

Thats my favorite part. Rockets were definitely invented to kill people and by the same group that later invented guns for the same purpose. None of the other items, including planes, were.

All of the things he did list were more heavily regulated and controlled as well.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah they were all halfassed because the only thing that matters is legislation that falls on the spectrum between a zero-loophole/100% registration or a total ban.

Any that passed the Senate would immediately be poo poo on by the Tortilla Coast-infused bowels of the HFC. gently caress I bet even a paper bag test for guns would fail.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
You could kill a lot of people with RADAR, by messing with civilian airliners or air traffic control.

Which is why there are a bunch of regulations to restrict you from doing that.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

James Garfield posted:

Radar and microwaves are no use for killing people, and airplanes and rockets are more regulated than guns. Even radar, and any sort of microwave transmitter past the one in an oven, are more regulated than guns.

A naval radar can totally toast your rear end, but on the other hand the government might ask some questions about you acquiring one even if you don't use it as a hilariously impractical weapon. :v:

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

Sure, but the amendment today would have essentially required you to get licensed as a car dealership to sell your old hooptie on craigslist. I mentioned it earlier, but I'd like to see something where provisions were provided for individuals to use a license holding business as an intermediary to sell guns for a legislated fee, and where license holding businesses were compelled to preform that service.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

GreyjoyBastard posted:

A naval radar can totally toast your rear end, but on the other hand the government might ask some questions about you acquiring one even if you don't use it as a hilariously impractical weapon. :v:

I can't even count the number of times I stood on a bridge wing absently staring at the ocean when I suddenly realized that, that big loving multi mega-watt radar array is radiating right through me.

Im never having kids

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Actually, I want a public official who can adapt and change. I don't want a person running the country who is so married to the ideology that they can't see another person's perspective.

And again, it has nothing to do with "wanting someone who can adapt and change" or any of these personal character issues that have nothing to do with democracy. We know that Hillary Clinton is well aware of the standard elite views on because she's held them in the past, as has her husband, and the political faction of the Democratic party they represent. The question is to what degree they'll respond to the popular demands of their party.

The idea that you don't want a party candidate who actually represents the popular views of their party in a democracy is kind of bizarre to me. These seem like contortions to portray a weakness as a strength.

quote:

Also, you're entirely wrong about "endlessly pressured to make the slightest acquiescence," but that's a semantic issue. Also wrong on her views on min-wage and UHC, but again whatever.

How? On minimum wage, for example, she supported legislation for what would be an 11 dollar minimum wage in 2007 in today's dollars, then a 12 dollar minimum wage in the primary, and has now come around for a 15 dollar minimum wage. In 2008, this was her stance:

quote:

OBAMA: I not only have pledged not to raise their taxes, I would cut their taxes. We are going to offset the payroll tax, the most regressive of our taxes.

CLINTON: I don’t want to raise taxes on anybody. I’m certainly against one of Senator Obama’s ideas, which is to lift the cap on the payroll tax, because that would impose additional taxes on people who are educators, police officers, firefighters and the like.

As of her last Presidential run, she was still repeating supply side dogma in the primary. Reminder: she was the conservative to Obama's more left-leaning approach, and that was a significantly more right-wing Democratic primary. Now, you can't go without a speech of hers lambasting tax avoiding corporations that won't pay their fair share. Just look at some of her positions in 2008, versus those in 2016. Then look at the positions she supported as First Lady, versus her positions in 2008. It's certainly positive that she's walking back the supply-side conservative Democrat nonsense, but framing it like it's a positive thing she started there in the first place is silly. Self-deception is not a pre-requisite for supporting Clinton against Donald Trump.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 21, 2016

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Boon posted:

I can't even count the number of times I stood on a bridge wing absently staring at the ocean when I suddenly realized that, that big loving multi mega-watt radar array is radiating right through me.

Im never having kids

I'm not as up to snuff on my radar frequency vs intensity but I'll go ahead and assure you anyway: you likely get orders of magnitude more low frequency waves pumping through you just standing in the sun.

It's the high frequency light you don't want. X rays, UV, z rays etc.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Bushiz posted:

Sure, but the amendment today would have essentially required you to get licensed as a car dealership to sell your old hooptie on craigslist. I mentioned it earlier, but I'd like to see something where provisions were provided for individuals to use a license holding business as an intermediary to sell guns for a legislated fee, and where license holding businesses were compelled to preform that service.

I'm pretty sure this is actually the case in California, private sellers are required to sell through a licensed dealer, although I don't know whether dealers are compelled.

E: Yes it's the case
https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs#3

They exempt transfers from parent/grandparent to child/grandchild but not step relations, siblings, uncles, aunts, etc.

I'm sure someone is about to show up and explain how this is all an affront to freedom and liberty and apple pie and America tho

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Noam Chomsky posted:

all have other uses aside from ending life or practicing your aim so that you can more easily end life.
Which would imply that designer's intent doesn't matter and it's merely a question of utility, the opposite of what LeeMajors keeps saying, but is also stupid because it implies inanimate objects come with a defined set of uses.

VitalSigns posted:

Why is this question even a problem. The prospective buyer already has to sign and submit a Firearms Transaction Record form, you can't just run random NCIS checks on anyone you want even if you are a licensed arms dealer. I'm sure we could come up with appropriate penalties if, for example, an employer requires prospective employees to fill out a bogus form as a condition of employment (assuming those don't exist already for a licensed dealer who tries to abuse the system that same way)

And from what I understand it just comes back confirm/deny with a process to appeal, I don't think the dealer gets all the dirty details on someone's warrants, convictions, restraining orders etc. Is this correct?
The reason the system works the way it does is that dealers are required to keep records of all those transactions. That's notionally how the ATF can check that they aren't running random strangers through NICS. ("An FFL is never authorized to utilize the NICS for employment or other type of non-Brady Act-mandated background checks. An FFL must have a signed ATF Form 4473 prior to initiating a NICS check. Per 28, C.F.R. §25.11 of the NICS Regulations, accessing or using the NICS, or permitting access to or use of the NICS by another, for any unauthorized purpose is a violation of federal law, sanctions for which may include criminal prosecution, a civil fine not to exceed $10,000, and/or cancellation of the NICS inquiry privileges.") As an aside, employees of a licensed business aren't actually required to pass a NICS check for the above reason, which is weird to me, but the licensee is accountable for making sure no one who handles or has access to guns is a prohibited possessor. If you force private parties to keep records and run NICS checks, there isn't anything to distinguish them from dealers. If you aren't forcing private parties to keep records but are giving them access to NICS, the only way to make sure they aren't running checks on random strangers would be a national registry of guns/gun owners, which is a non-starter, because, again, like voter ID, the problem it purports to solve does not appear to be significant.

James Garfield posted:

Radar... [is] no use for killing people
Oh my sweet summer child,

Boon posted:

All of the things he did list were more heavily regulated and controlled as well.
Actually, as far as I can tell, there is little to no regulation of owning a rocket, just on launching them through public airspace and storing large quantities of propellant.

VitalSigns posted:

I'm pretty sure this is actually the case in California, private sellers are required to sell through a licensed dealer, although I don't know whether dealers are compelled.
Private sellers are required to sell through a licensed dealer in CA, which has all the effects you would expect from a captive marketplace, and being non-licensed dealer is a great way to get your face holes resized by the police. It also only works because CA has mandatory gun registration.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 21, 2016

• Locked thread