Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

The only reason it would be playable is if there was a reason to toolbox Eldrazi instead of just putting said card in your deck. I can't think of a real use for that.
Displacer/Brood Monitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Displacer/Brood Monitor

The card you'd want to wish for is Brood Monitor, not Displacer since Displacer is actually good.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

legoman727 posted:

RoE is such a fantastic draft format but why the hell is Dawnglare Invoker a common.

dawnglare invoker is kind of a trap because white is probably the weakest color in the set.

White in RoE is still stronger than strong colors in worse formats, of course, but it's probably the least versatile color. U/W Levelers is probably the only good base white deck you can assemble unless you get kor spiritdance for G/W Umbras (the only real white payoff for going deep on umbras, since totem-guide hartebeest just lets you splash value auras without going deep). Similarly, white defender cards aren't really the role players in defender decks compared to red or green defender cards.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 21, 2016

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Kilo147 posted:

So the moon is a helvault, right?

Yeah it's pretty clear to me they're gonna trap'rakul big E in the silver moon.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Cute that it lets you get Ulamogs that have been pathed back, but probably not good enough for modern.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

I think it's kindof neat, there's an Eldrazi infinite combo in standard after all.

Finally, a reason to play bant colors in standard.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
We made it 3 whole posts before that one was declared bad! mcmagic isn't mashing f6 hard enough today.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I really hope eldrazi toolbox becomes a thing

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Bugsy posted:

Cute that it lets you get Ulamogs that have been pathed back, but probably not good enough for modern.

Why not just play another copy of Ulamog though?

The problem with the card is that all of the playable 10+ mana eldrazi pretty identical in practice. You don't really care if you're casting emrakul or newlamog or new emrakul, you just cast one and win. None of the lesser eldrazi are strong enough to make a wishboard out of. If you want Eldrazi Displacer you just put a bunch in your deck.

The only real utility is putting a big eldrazi and an All Is Dust into your sideboard, but that still seems like an extremely ineffecient use of mana and sideboard space. Are there any shapeshifter cards worth putting in a wish board?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

BaronVonVaderham posted:

We made it 3 whole posts before that one was declared bad! mcmagic isn't mashing f6 hard enough today.

I mean, eldrazi wish seems marginal at best atm, there isn't a large enough selection of different silver bullets to fetch up

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Didn't you get sacrificed to Birthing Pod or something

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There are a lot of good Eldrazi that cost less than 10 mana now.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Wishes are clearly bad and that's why they don't see play in any format.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

Didn't you get sacrificed to Birthing Pod or something

Did someone wish him to the thread or something.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SoftNum posted:

They see play when what they're grabbing is high impact, generally used for a combo purpose and with the idea in mind that whatever they grab will get played in the same "turn" (Cunning on the end step is close enough IMO). They're also way, way broader in what they grab.

You're either taking a turn off to play this or whatever you're grabbing wasn't particularly high impact. There are at least 5 Eldrazi in the set it looks like, so maybe what this can grab will be big but right now I'm not seeing it.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

SoftNum posted:

When your entire list of wish targets are fairly costed bodies and 10 mana vindicates, wishing for them is rather mediocre.

Like, no one would play burning wish if it only wished for X spells that target players. Glittering wish doesn't see much play either for the same reason.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Goddamnit, I wish Triskadekaphobia had a bonus for 13/13 creatures now.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kilo147 posted:

So the moon is a helvault, right?

"Went to the moon" - Innistrad saying that means to go to super jail.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

There are a lot of good Eldrazi that cost less than 10 mana now.

please list the ones that would still be good if they took 3 extra mana to cast

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I hope Helvault 2 - Lunar Boogaloo is a powerful, well designed, very playable card in multiple formats

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Current list of Standard-playable Eldrazi:

http://magiccards.info/query?q=t%3A%22eldrazi%22+f%3Astandard&v=card&s=cname

The rest:

http://magiccards.info/query?q=t%3A%22eldrazi%22+e%3Aroe%2Fen&v=card&s=cname

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It turns out that I like Magic when I'm not reading this thread or any of its sister threads.

This goes for most other things too.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Chill la Chill posted:

"Went to the moon" - Innistrad saying that means to go to super jail.

Jesus loving chirst, The Honeymooners just got real fuckin' dark.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
It's legacy-playable because it can get Emrakul, the Aeons Torn out of the sideboard for combos and is pitchable to force.

Well, as it stands, Omnitell keeps its Emrakuls mainboarded since they can be shown and told perfectly well. Maybe the eldrazi wish can find a little utility in the dark world that is blue combo decks.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

(Note: this post assumes that none of the new Eldrazi really fill in functionality for the old ones. Also I'm writing this from my phone so please forgive stupid mistakes and that this turned into me rambling)

Wishes have generally seen play in three contexts. One is in combo decks that can want one of many different things while comboing off but may have mana to burn, and then the wish can turn into what they want. For example, look at David Gearhart's Solidarity decklist here. If he needed to draw cards while going off, he could get stroke or meditate, if he needed to kill he could get brain freeze, if he needed even more mana he could get turnabout, if he needed to fight a counter war he had some counters (I would have liked to see a misd in there, but whatever), or a bounce spell to deal with a troublesome permanent. The second type uses it more as a toolbox that can grab narrow, matchup-specific cards, like with Burning Tog , where burning wish could fetch cheap removal, powerful card draw, sweepers, specific hosers, and finishers. Similarly, if we look at Kai's Cunning Wake list, we see a package of removal, specific gate cards, dig, counterspells, and also Elephant Ambush. Also, part of Wake's endgame was forking Cunning Wish with Mirari to get back a previously used Wish and another card (especially since back then they could get exiled cards again, like an elephant ambush that had been flashbacked) Note that in both case 1 and case 2, the card becomes good when you're not choked on mana and have a wide variety of things to get that can help when you're ahead or behind. (The third place it's seen play in Vintage, where Burning Wish let you play with 4 Yawgmoth's Will, but I think we can all agree that's pretty irrelevant).

In Standard, what are you getting? TKS gives you a powerful disruptive midgame threat, you could a large finisher, but what else? I guess you could get another powerful midgame threat like Drowner of Hope, Reality Smasher or Eldrazi Displacer, but you have to pay a 3 mana premium on them in that case and it also means you're not running them maindeck. Note that most wishboards are filled with cards you wouldn't want to maindeck because otherwise you could just put them in your deck. I guess it could tutor up Eldrazi Displacer or Brood Monitor for that deck, which might be a thing worth doing if you throw something like TKS and Drowner in and well, but I'm not sure. In Modern, the obvious place is Blue Tron, where it can get TKS, All Is Dust, large finishers, and maybe midgame cards like Smasher or Drowner.

I thought I was going to conclude that the card is unplayable but I guess instead I decided that it might be? Huh.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

lust for war is the best roe archetype

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's legacy-playable because it can get Emrakul, the Aeons Torn out of the sideboard for combos and is pitchable to force.

Well, as it stands, Omnitell keeps its Emrakuls mainboarded since they can be shown and told perfectly well. Maybe the eldrazi wish can find a little utility in the dark world that is blue combo decks.

I sincerely doubt that any of the show and tell varieties would want to have to cast a 3 mana spell before being able to fire off their namesake card. As it stands, I'm not convinced that it's a very good card, without something useful being printed in ELM. The reason you would consider playing it is because you can theoretically make sure that you don't get some 10-15 drop stuck in your hand, and instead you can tutor up the cheap interaction early, and the expensive finisher late. However, there aren't any good cheap interaction Eldrazis right now, unless it turns out to be good enough to pay 7 for a Thought-Knot Seer.

The one scenario that seems somewhat compelling is being able to wish up All is Dust in modern blue Tron. Still, that's 10 mana for a sweeper, which even in a Tron deck seems rough. Still, it's a cool card, and I also did not think we would ever see a wish again. I'm happy that it exists, even if it never ends up seeing play.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

If there's one thing combo decks like to do, it's doing something they were already doing, but paying three extra mana for it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

little munchkin posted:

If there's one thing combo decks like to do, it's doing something they were already doing, but paying three extra mana for it.

Yeah, that's the problem with finding a home for it now.

But I have faith that a card that grabs a sideboard Emrakul and can be pitched to force will find a loving home... somewhere....

Also it doesn't exile itself unlike most wishes. Probably not that relevant.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Who gives a gently caress if it can be pitched to Force of Will, it can be pitched to Commandeer

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Burning Wish, Cunning Wish, and Living Wish are bad cards, everyone. Pack it in.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Star Man posted:

Burning Wish, Cunning Wish, and Living Wish are bad cards, everyone. Pack it in.

Did you read any of the discussion?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rinkles posted:

Did you read any of the discussion?

This is the GW death thread, right?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Like most wishes, you basically pay a 3-mana premium in order to choose which effect you want. Rather than putting the wish target itself in your deck instead, which is cheaper mana-wise but you don't get to pick which one you draw.

So usually that's good for cards that can be huge blowouts in certain situations but not so useful otherwise. Alas, all the eldrazi in standard right now are just super-pushed so there's not really any reason not to run them all main-deck.

I suppose there might be one ultra-pushed eldrazi that you want 7 copies of or something, but even then you already have that land that tutors things up.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Star Man posted:

This is the GW death thread, right?

would you like to have an actual discussion or would you prefer to just keep posting one-liners

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
At the very least, it doesn't seem blue at all. Not to mention it represents something a boros walker did.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

She wished for Emrakul, but not the mana to hard cast it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Jabor posted:

Like most wishes, you basically pay a 3-mana premium in order to choose which effect you want. Rather than putting the wish target itself in your deck instead, which is cheaper mana-wise but you don't get to pick which one you draw.

So usually that's good for cards that can be huge blowouts in certain situations but not so useful otherwise. Alas, all the eldrazi in standard right now are just super-pushed so there's not really any reason not to run them all main-deck.

I suppose there might be one ultra-pushed eldrazi that you want 7 copies of or something, but even then you already have that land that tutors things up.

They aren't in the MB of any T1 decks in standard. They aren't all that pushed.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, if you count Arlinn, there's yet another mythic that has no particular synergy with werewolves.

Big version:

drat this is pretty neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mcmagic posted:

They aren't in the MB of any T1 decks in standard. They aren't all that pushed.

And we're all really shocked that cmc 4+ creatures are not seeing much play in a format dominated by Collected Company.

• Locked thread