Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

This is exactly what I took away from it.

Yeah, after they showed Pipey, I was expecting the twist/solution to be replacing it with her as a digital assistant.

Something that confused me about the tech was a few episodes ago, when Gavin was showing the beta to his engineers. He said that PP gets faster/better as you put more files on it, and this was referenced one or two other times as a benefit of the neural net they were adding.

I can see why having more users (devices rather) could make it better, but how would more files help?

I know it's a show etc, I'm just curious if there's some basis for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Avasculous posted:

Yeah, after they showed Pipey, I was expecting the twist/solution to be replacing it with her as a digital assistant.

Something that confused me about the tech was a few episodes ago, when Gavin was showing the beta to his engineers. He said that PP gets faster/better as you put more files on it, and this was referenced one or two other times as a benefit of the neural net they were adding.

I can see why having more users (devices rather) could make it better, but how would more files help?

I know it's a show etc, I'm just curious if there's some basis for that.

Machine learning, it finds similarities and patterns that allow it to compress files even further.

It's kinda sci-fi though in this context I reckon.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

victorious posted:

I could be wrong because I couldn't place the exact song, but it sounded like Sigur Ros to me.

As mentioned earlier, it's the first bit of "Storm" from Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Is what Jared's doing fraud since he's doing it to hit funding targets?

Because Jared in prison would be loving hilarious.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

When Jack said he was a big fan of Erlich and Erlich responded "Fan of what? Metamucil?" I laughed pretty hard. Then he kept going. That was probably the best joke so far this season, and it was pretty great. Nothing has beaten the bit where Richard tries to emulate saying "Pied Piper" during an orgasm though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ70b-WRHlU&t=91s

poo poo is just too funny.

El Pato
Jul 2, 2007

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?

Accretionist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e31fzretU0

So. What do you think he does?

The only thing I can think of is he sacrifices privacy for monetization, Big Data analytics or some such..

he fires jared

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Machine learning, it finds similarities and patterns that allow it to compress files even further.

It's kinda sci-fi though in this context I reckon.

You're probably right, I think I took it to mean that Gavin's copy of the beta was getting better before his eyes as he went from 4->5 files. It makes a lot more sense if he's talking about the network as a whole and millions/billions of files.

PostNouveau posted:

Is what Jared's doing fraud since he's doing it to hit funding targets?

I believe so.

Reporting product sales to fake customers (either made up or real but with undisclosed massive discounts/bribery) definitely is.

I'm not sure how it works with free apps (which Pied Piper appears to be), but I would guess that what Jared is doing is explicitly prohibited by the contract.

It also should take about 10s for Gilfoyle to catch on since they implemented the godview.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I read the ending as "Gilfoyle knows and wants to see whether Jared has become a better liar over the episode".

AgentF
May 11, 2009
He asks if the numbers are legit and then his response to Jared is a little subdued. I think Gilfoyle understands that it's bullshit and then keeps it to himself while he thinks about it.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

teagone posted:

When Jack said he was a big fan of Erlich and Erlich responded "Fan of what? Metamucil?" I laughed pretty hard. Then he kept going. That was probably the best joke so far this season, and it was pretty great. Nothing has beaten the bit where Richard tries to emulate saying "Pied Piper" during an orgasm though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ70b-WRHlU&t=91s

poo poo is just too funny.

Ever since this episode the phrase "a nice piece of fish" will pop in my head and I giggle all over again. It's just so innocuous, yet accurate.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
There just needs to be more scenes of Zach Woods and Martin Starr with no one else.

I'm glad that Richard storming into the focus group wasn't just an opportunity for cringe humor, but actually did show that ordinary users could "get" the platform.

I read the Bernice thing as a red herring. We were led to believe they'll hire her as a spokesperson for the platform; only to reveal Jared hired a clickfarm.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It was a decent season finale once you chose to actively ignore the fact that for the sake of ensuring Pied Piper's perpetual underdog status the show has sacrificed much of its authenticity.

The plot point of Richard being on the spectrum and failing to recognize the end-user oriented UI design is a thing and that no company would approach a beta release without UI designers on board was fine at first as it set up this last episode but Richard coming with some half assed explanation for why they're not able to simplify the UI (or at least offer a simple layout alongside the 'airplane' one) was silly, I expected a mad dash to the finish line not Richard and everyone else simply ignoring the existence of a straight forward solution.

The problem goes way deeper than the UI. The problem is that users fundamentally don't understand what the product it, how it's supposed to work, and if it actually does what it says it does. At least on the show. In real life it's not really that different than cloud computing. People understand it, or don't but either think they do or don't care because it just works for them. Once most people see that all their files are accessible from all their devices they wouldn't really care how it works. I guess the characters are too engineer-y to just be like "Access your files from anywhere safely, and without taking up space on your devices!"

I don't know if any of that made sense, but I do know that people talk about how heartbreaking it is to watch GoT while I find this show ten times more gut wrenching. I just want things to work out and to see everyone get paid. :(

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
It's tempered by the fact that even if they fail they can all easily get office jobs and make six figures.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

As opposed to getting raped then flayed.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

kiimo posted:

As opposed to getting raped then flayed.

I have trouble with cringeworthy moments.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Echo Chamber posted:

There just needs to be more scenes of Zach Woods and Martin Starr with no one else.

I'm glad that Richard storming into the focus group wasn't just an opportunity for cringe humor, but actually did show that ordinary users could "get" the platform.

I read the Bernice thing as a red herring. We were led to believe they'll hire her as a spokesperson for the platform; only to reveal Jared hired a clickfarm.

I like how they showed that the ordinary users aren't stupid, they're just being very badly communicated to. Of course, the kind of communication they should be receiving is the UI's job...

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I really liked that episode.

CubanMissile posted:

The problem goes way deeper than the UI. The problem is that users fundamentally don't understand what the product it, how it's supposed to work, and if it actually does what it says it does. At least on the show. In real life it's not really that different than cloud computing. People understand it, or don't but either think they do or don't care because it just works for them. Once most people see that all their files are accessible from all their devices they wouldn't really care how it works. I guess the characters are too engineer-y to just be like "Access your files from anywhere safely, and without taking up space on your devices!"

I don't know if any of that made sense, but I do know that people talk about how heartbreaking it is to watch GoT while I find this show ten times more gut wrenching. I just want things to work out and to see everyone get paid. :(

"Access your files without taking up space on your devices" isn't the problem. This is.

Let's Go!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Binary Logic posted:

"Access your files without taking up space on your devices" isn't the problem. This is.

Let's Go!

It's both things though since they also showed Richard successfully explaining the other issue to the focus group. I actually find that complicated gordian knot interface the most unbelievable part of the entire thing. Young SV guys in 2016? making a dumbed down giant bubble text/huge logo/2 checkboxes and a submit button splash page should have been their exact first move.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Yes, when Pipey indicated they were "six clicks away" from uploading their file that still sounds like a UI problem.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
And many users don't want to deal with any technology that sounds like a cloud.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

kdrudy posted:

Yes, when Pipey indicated they were "six clicks away" from uploading their file that still sounds like a UI problem.

I thought that was hilarious, like Ana Gasteyer doing Martha Stewart on SNL back in the day... "This is my Work Room, where we'll be making these corn husk garlands. You can make them, too, in just 24 simple steps."

Echo Chamber posted:

And many users don't want to deal with any technology that sounds like a cloud.

Yeah, to me this miraculous new platform really sounded like "It's exactly like the Cloud, except rear end-tons of compression." In the world of this show, is the cloud not a thing? Because, again, it's almost exactly the cloud.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Most people want what they came to do to be within 3 clicks. It's a known thing in design. Anything past that and people lose interest fast.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pffft, that looks as simple as getting ePSXe to work properly with a modern graphics card! Child's play.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Binary Logic posted:

Let's Go!

Ok, there's definitely a UI issue as well. It's hard to grasp how Monica could see that and not be able to articulate what the problem with the platform is. That could be fixed with a simple or advanced settings radio button.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I need a pipey github post haste, please. I must put it in this project I'm working on.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Richard still doesn't get it either. When he's in the tub, he talks about being "too early," which is what I imagine every failed entrepreneur tells themselves. "It's not my fault. The market is just too dumb."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I can't believe no one in that focus group didn't bring up dick pics.

"You mean everyone has a part of my dick?"

"...or my tits?"

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 21, 2016

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Solice Kirsk posted:

Pffft, that looks as simple as getting ePSXe to work properly with a modern graphics card! Child's play.

All those wasted hours making Legend of Dragoon look...passable I guess?

Despite all the complex underlying compression stuff, Pied Piper looks like all it needs would be a redesigned front page with an upload button, download button, messaging interface options, then some sort of "advanced settings" tab for all the engineers who actually wanted to mess around with bitrate or whatever the more technical aspects are. I'm still liking the show but a lot of the conflict at this point seems to derive from Richard being stubborn for no legitimate reason.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

kdrudy posted:

Loved that.
How would someone use that UX on a smartphone? Yikes.

AgentF posted:

He asks if the numbers are legit and then his response to Jared is a little subdued. I think Gilfoyle understands that it's bullshit and then keeps it to himself while he thinks about it.
Yeah as a Satanist Gilfoyle must realize the overnight user numbers were rigged.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jun 21, 2016

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Despite all the complex underlying compression stuff, Pied Piper looks like all it needs would be a redesigned front page with an upload button, download button, messaging interface options, then some sort of "advanced settings" tab for all the engineers who actually wanted to mess around with bitrate or whatever the more technical aspects are. I'm still liking the show but a lot of the conflict at this point seems to derive from Richard being stubborn for no legitimate reason.

Yeah, for that whole speech about how you can't take the wings off an airplane, you can definitely simplify your platform for people who don't understand things like buffer size or bicubic spline. Make an interface that looks like Windows, drag your files into the folder here, now they're in the folder compressed! Click download, now they're on your device AND in the folder?

One of the issues that the missing download button hints at, though, is that Richard/PP don't want to let the client have any part of the compression algorithm. What if you want your files and you won't have an internet connection? It doesn't seem like its possible to download your files at the compressed sizes, which suggests that they're reluctant to put a method for decompression in the client. Seems like a very large misstep to me. When we first started using zip and rar, did you have to go online to compress/decompress? Were they at risk of competitors stealing their technology when they put those abilities in the downloadable zip/rar clients?

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

Phenotype posted:

One of the issues that the missing download button hints at, though, is that Richard/PP don't want to let the client have any part of the compression algorithm. What if you want your files and you won't have an internet connection? It doesn't seem like its possible to download your files at the compressed sizes, which suggests that they're reluctant to put a method for decompression in the client. Seems like a very large misstep to me. When we first started using zip and rar, did you have to go online to compress/decompress? Were they at risk of competitors stealing their technology when they put those abilities in the downloadable zip/rar clients?

Isn't the selling point that they compress over the air so that it's instantaneous? Which would suggest they do decompress on the client

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Heisenberg1276 posted:

Isn't the selling point that they compress over the air so that it's instantaneous? Which would suggest they do decompress on the client

No, that was the whole point of the missing download button and the guy who kept pointing at his phone and saying "look, 0kb used!" The files aren't stored on the user's device at all, it seems like you upload it to the platform, which compresses it and stores it for you, and then when you want to use a file, you open it in the PP app and the platform decompresses it and opens it for you. It just happens fast enough that there isn't much difference between opening a local file that's already on your device and opening a file by having the platform decompress and send it to you. It doesn't seem like there's any method to actually store the compressed files on your own machine.

e: wait, if it opens so fast, that implies that it's sending the compressed file and that decompression takes place on the client...so what the hell? Why wouldn't it have a download button? Sure, everyone's connected to the internet, but not all the time, not on airplanes, not in rural areas. I would be worried storing data ONLY on the platform without being able to download it locally for later use.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jun 21, 2016

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Phenotype posted:

No, that was the whole point of the missing download button and the guy who kept pointing at his phone and saying "look, 0kb used!" The files aren't stored on the user's device at all, it seems like you upload it to the platform, which compresses it and stores it for you, and then when you want to use a file, you open it in the PP app and the platform decompresses it and opens it for you. It just happens fast enough that there isn't much difference between opening a local file that's already on your device and opening a file by having the platform decompress and send it to you. It doesn't seem like there's any method to actually store the compressed files on your own machine.

e: wait, if it opens so fast, that implies that it's sending the compressed file and that decompression takes place on the client...so what the hell? Why wouldn't it have a download button? Sure, everyone's connected to the internet, but not all the time, not on airplanes, not in rural areas. I would be worried storing data ONLY on the platform without being able to download it locally for later use.

Also, if files are never actually stored on the device then why does it have a storage usage calculation at all?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

fez_machine posted:

Because it's not on people's phones. Lots of people help the compression and retrieval, but the photos themselves are somewhere in that giant server farm we keep on seeing or one just like it.

Or, alternatively, there are lots of copies of the data. If any given chunk of data is on 100 people's phones, it doesn't matter if 5% of them are offline.
(See: Bittorrent)

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

feedmegin posted:

Or, alternatively, there are lots of copies of the data. If any given chunk of data is on 100 people's phones, it doesn't matter if 5% of them are offline.
(See: Bittorrent)

It matters a whole lot if the device that the person is using is offline.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I can't say I really enjoyed this episode. The Gavin plot felt contrived, and the PP parts were just sad. I did like the revelation that Jared would do anything for the company, I just have to wait for the next episode I guess.

And I think that this episode showed that Richard cares less about making money and more about people appreciating his work. A good UI design could definitely get more people to use it and make their lives a bit easier even without using 100% of it's capabilities, while making him rich in the process, but that's never what he wanted. I can definitely understand that, I would hate to cut features from my baby just to make it digestable to the plebs.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Rexides posted:

I can't say I really enjoyed this episode. The Gavin plot felt contrived, and the PP parts were just sad. I did like the revelation that Jared would do anything for the company, I just have to wait for the next episode I guess.

And I think that this episode showed that Richard cares less about making money and more about people appreciating his work. A good UI design could definitely get more people to use it and make their lives a bit easier even without using 100% of it's capabilities, while making him rich in the process, but that's never what he wanted. I can definitely understand that, I would hate to cut features from my baby just to make it digestable to the plebs.

But he didn't have to cut poo poo! They could have left the existing UI under an "Advanced Settings" tab or something, and just had it default to a "Basic Settings" tab that only has an upload/download button and a folder to drag-and-drop your files to be compressed under the default settings. All the features and customization would still be there, they'd just be necessarily hidden from the 98% of users who don't understand or don't care. That and a small tutorial to explain exactly how it works ("Pied Piper will store your files for you! Drag your files HERE - now they're accessible from anywhere!") would have fixed the problem entirely.

I mean, I get that it's a joke how Richard can't explain anything simply ("What's in your eggs? Electrons!"), but you'd think Monica or someone else at Raviga could have gotten a PR agent that could create a tutorial or advertisement that could explain the gist of Pied Piper to the average consumer without getting bogged down in explaining the neural net and covalent states or whatever.

e: my prediction for next week - PP takes off for real, but in India. Jared's deception comes to light, but it doesn't matter because good word-of-mouth from all the people making fake accounts causes hundreds of thousands of REAL accounts to be opened by consumers in India.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 21, 2016

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

e: my prediction for next week - PP takes off for real, but in India. Jared's deception comes to light, but it doesn't matter because good word-of-mouth from all the people making fake accounts causes hundreds of thousands of REAL accounts to be opened by consumers in India.

Yeah that's the only thing I can think of that doesn't just implode everything. They're still ell short of the 250k DAs they need otherwise, even with Jared's number-padding.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Smart phones are the computer of choice in the developing world and data speeds and rates are a bitch. Pied Piper would really solve some problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
I think it would have been better if instead of Pied Piper being too complex for non-SV people, they should have made people not care. It just looked like a different Dropbox if anything.

• Locked thread