Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Going back to Mighty No. 5.6, what did Pat put towards it again? I'm pretty sure he's mentioned it was a pretty high tier, so i'm wondering if we'll see the zaibatsu in the game in some form.

Didn't Matt say he put like, $100 down on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I am baffled at how easily the best friends got taken in by inafune when he's the exact kind of "loving businessman" they're always cracking jokes about

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/249735186936369153

Really wish someone in the team was skeptical about it, the smug payback would be amazing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
people keep interpreting that tweet as some kind of sick burn but it's really a statement of fact

game producers are essentially project management

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Blockhouse posted:

people keep interpreting that tweet as some kind of sick burn but it's really a statement of fact

game producers are essentially project management

Shh let the internet make themselves feel better because they are cynical rear end fucks.

Granted I"m disappointed MN9 turned out the way it did. I'm still gonna play it but eh.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Blockhouse posted:

It's both

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

I am baffled at how easily the best friends got taken in by inafune when he's the exact kind of "loving businessman" they're always cracking jokes about

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I don't think that's what people generally thought of Inafune at the time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The ironic thing is, Inafune will have an actual good game out this year and it won't be his own kickstarter game.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

Because Liam aside they all have Goggles bolted on for Megaman Classic and MMX.

Liam substitutes Battle Network and Zero but even discounting that Liam will try almost anything.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
I don't know why people are blaming Inafune, he did Soul Sacrifice and the dev process was great and the game was great

the Kickstarter was also fine until the point where they reached their goal, then they tried to add more stretch goals to entice more people to give money

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's probably because his name's all over the loving project and he is the one that made the executive decision to make a second Kickstarter for DLC, get a TV series, and other things to make the game into a brand before it was even made. Regardless of how relevant he is to the actual game's quality he is a face for the game and if goes bad people are going to blame him.

He's also partially responsible for the Capcom issues with western game devs that was happening a lot at the start of this decade and was a big factor in DmC getting made so he should have never been trusted.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

he spent years publicly bitching about capcom making the same games over and over and then left and proceeded to make a monster hunter clone and a megaman clone

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Soul Sacrifice Delta 100% LP when

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

being fair while it's certainly a hunting game I think calling Soul Sacrifice a "clone" is a bit of an exaggeration

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Megalixir posted:

I don't know why people are blaming Inafune, he did Soul Sacrifice and the dev process was great and the game was great

the Kickstarter was also fine until the point where they reached their goal, then they tried to add more stretch goals to entice more people to give money

You said "he did Soul Sacrifice" like he actually made that game. He didn't. Marvelous and Sony Japan did. That's the point I'm trying to make. He's management, not a game director, not a game designer. He's not Igarashi, or Kojima, or Miyamoto, or anyone else like that. He's the guy who manages The Talent, not the actual talent. His name being attached to a project should mean basically nothing.

Granted he's a "concept designer" on that which means the idea for Soul Sacrifice was pretty much his, so that's roughly 99% more involved than he is with other games

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Inafune was a legitimate planner (game designer) on a bunch of MM games starting from MM3 and I don't see the need to downplay his input from back in the day to demonstrate how he's loving up today, and the same goes for Sakamoto (the Metroid guy) or anyone else people jump all over when good franchises go bad.

In case people are wondering, the actual director on MN9 is a Comcept/ex-Capcom guy named Koji Imaeda who was a planner on a few Star Force games and as far as I know, this was his directorial debut and there's not much evidence that he'd worked on pure action games prior to MN9. Why they put this guy in charge instead of any of the Inti veterans is beyond me... I guess they thought this style of game had been done so many times that it'd turn out fine no matter who was in charge. Oops!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The planning was some last minute stage designing in MM 3 and 4. That's it. I'm not downplaying anything.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Okay the segment after the esoteric fact is stellar. Podcast is up btw.

Woolie dies a little bit during the mirror's edge 2 talk

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 21, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Blockhouse posted:

The planning was some last minute stage designing in MM 3 and 4. That's it. I'm not downplaying anything.

He was also a planner on X/X2 and then Legends was when he went into full-on producer mode, and when teams are as small as they were back then everyone pitches in beyond their purview anyhow. That being said, I wasn't specifically responding to you, just venting a little.

Inafune's always been a sketchy project manager, that much is clear, but people hand-wave that stuff if the game turns out fine. Dead Rising is the most obvious example - Capcom cancelled production of that game but Inafune kept the team working on it in secret because he knew if it reached a certain level of completion they (Capcom) would feel obliged to finish it. Like, he straight-up copped to that in the media and people were rooting for him because yay Dead Rising gently caress Capcom but holy poo poo how did he ever get away with that.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Okay the segment after the esoteric fact is stellar. Podcast is up btw.

Woolie dies a little bit during the mirror's edge 2 talk

this code: hardcore game's robot designs are like borderline actionable

jesus christ that's blatant

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Yeah same poo poo happens in SRW Original Generation games.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah same poo poo happens in SRW Original Generation games.

yeah but at least banpresto is owned by the company they're ripping off!

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.
In recent news: out-of-touch Japanese producers tragically mismanage game, unprecedented event leaves West in shock

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

1. Have the zaibatsu voiced their opinions of the Golden Age Arc movies and the upcoming anime yet?
2. What is their opinion on their mother country's EU referendum? I'm for leave.
3. Will there eventually be an LP for Witcher 3?
4. Have the zaibatsu visited Maine yet? I live there.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Grouch, chill.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Grouchio posted:

1. Have the zaibatsu voiced their opinions of the Golden Age Arc movies and the upcoming anime yet?
2. What is their opinion on their mother country's EU referendum? I'm for leave.
3. Will there eventually be an LP for Witcher 3?
4. Have the zaibatsu visited Maine yet? I live there.

:crossarms:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I want an LP of The Witcher 3 from the best friends so god drat bad, but I know it will never be a reality because that game is too fuckin long for its own good and it'd be 500 parts :sigh:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The only person who cares, Pat, has said as much sadly.

Actually Liam MIGHT care? He did play W1, and I'd you can get through that you can survive 2 to get to 3.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If there's one person who could beat Witcher 3 in a timely manner, it's Liam

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015
The Liam Got Burned story is better then I imagined.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm still waiting on that Paper Mario LP.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

RareAcumen posted:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

RareAcumen posted:

Like Thousand Year Door or...

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh my god Woolie, TTGL did not invent loving robots shut up

I also imagine judging by his praise that Game of Thrones has been getting worse and worse since I stopped watching it

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Game of Thrones and ASOIAF were never good

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Despite the fact Woolie knows GL is inspired by an assload of anime especially in the Super Robot genre, Gurren Lagann seems to be his only real baseline for anything mecha related that isn't Gundam which is pretty funny.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?

Rodyle posted:

Oh my god Woolie, TTGL did not invent loving robots shut up

What, in relation to Kirby Robobot? TTGL is super appropriate considering what happens later in the game.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Maybe it actually is for once but since it's Woolie's only point of comparison for anything related to robots, space, drills, or even escalation he's taken all meaning out of the comparison.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Is there any industry in which the big conical drills that TTGL are actually used IRL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Improbable Lobster posted:

Is there any industry in which the big conical drills that TTGL are actually used IRL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill_bit#Unibit

plus the only robot shows that matter are gundam, ttgl and gunbuster anyway