Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Humans Among Us posted:

My entry for DUMP3 is pretty much 'done'. One thing still eludes me tho, how do i tag a sector as a secret?

You can find it under Effects -> Generalized Effects in the sector properties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Icept posted:

You can find it under Effects -> Generalized Effects in the sector properties.

Thanks a lot, i wouldn't have found this menu in a million years

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Humans Among Us posted:

My entry for DUMP3 is pretty much 'done'. One thing still eludes me tho, how do i tag a sector as a secret?

nevermind, do what he told you to do.

LogicalFallacy posted:

Sup guys! Version 2 of my map is done.

Changes include:
Lighting tweaks in various areas.
Retexturing work in the previously declared "WIP" areas.
A few additional traps to keep things interesting.
Aesthetic fixes in some of the most egregiously "boxy" rooms.
Final encounter 'slightly' tweaked to make it more "chaotic," as requested.

Let me know if there's anything that could still use work and/or any massive mistakes I missed. I actually had to take a break from typing this to fix one thing that I had forgotten, so I wouldn't be remotely surprised to learn that there are more.

The map flow is fine, but for UV, it could stand to be a little tougher in the earlier and middle fights. Maybe add some revenants to the megahealth maze? Idk, you'll think of something.

One other thing is the polish of the map. It looks like you spent as much time texturing the megahealth maze as you did the entire rest of the map. Some beautification would go a really long way, especially since it's a fairly fun, focused map.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Hey there. I made a wad for DUMP 3 As well. I posted it on the ZDoom forums, but I figured I should put it here as well.

Requires cc4-tex.wad and duke-tex.wad(From realm667)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ge6ikxnb38zw2ga/a%20night%20at%20the%20opera.zip?dl=1

Also, dumb question, was I supposed to include the custom textures in the wad myself?

Temin_Dump fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 20, 2016

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

A.o.D. posted:

The map flow is fine, but for UV, it could stand to be a little tougher in the earlier and middle fights. Maybe add some revenants to the megahealth maze? Idk, you'll think of something.
One other thing is the polish of the map. It looks like you spent as much time texturing the megahealth maze as you did the entire rest of the map. Some beautification would go a really long way, especially since it's a fairly fun, focused map.
Hmm, I'll look into adjusting the difficulty some. It'll force me to get some more ammo out there, and I'm not spectacularly confident on my item placement and balance skills. With the megahealth maze, I actually didn't spend all that much time on it, it was mostly zipping around in visual mode, opening the texture menu for a wall, and picking one that seemed decent from my previously selected palette. All instances of METAL2 were literally just pasted on wherever I didn't feel like throwing something else. I will take your advice into consideration though, and see what I can't figure out.

On the topic of the maze, I was just testing the map in Zanondrum Software mode to make sure it worked right. Let's just say that the maze is considerably more "atmospheric" in Zanondrum.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Temin_Dump posted:

Hey there. I made a wad for DUMP 3 As well. I posted it on the ZDoom forums, but I figured I should put it here as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ge6ikxnb38zw2ga/a%20night%20at%20the%20opera.zip?dl=1

Also, dumb question, was I supposed to include the custom textures in the wad myself?

Really cool experience and the main stage and draw of the curtain were inspired. I'm couldn't really tell if I was meant to be jumping a lot, it seems like a lot of the pickups are on raised surfaces that require jumps but I also managed to finish without the yellow skull, but I think those doors were meant to be exits only or at least secondary to the blue skull ones. Good map!

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Icept posted:

Really cool experience and the main stage and draw of the curtain were inspired. I'm couldn't really tell if I was meant to be jumping a lot, it seems like a lot of the pickups are on raised surfaces that require jumps but I also managed to finish without the yellow skull, but I think those doors were meant to be exits only or at least secondary to the blue skull ones. Good map!

Thank you! Yes, jumping is allowed. Also yes, you only need one key to get to the stage. Just a little variety for choosing different paths.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

E2; Allright, hope u guys like my first ever 'completed' map in the history of me loving around with editors

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ptf8t1zfa9uobp/AMONGUS.wad?dl=0

Some screenies

Yes i know im a rube for HQ filters but meh :)

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 20, 2016

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
The scale of the map is crazy in a good way. I had fun playing it and also enjoyed the almost MAP01 chainsaw secret. I really enjoyed the secret super shotgun on the "church" but I think I got the regular one immediately afterwards. Also, was teleporting out onto the bridge meant to be a secret? I thought you had to go that way to get the yellow skull but maybe I did something in a weird sequence.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Thanks, no i deliberately set up the teleporters to move you past the bars into the middle of the bridge. So you can jump down and go thru the fort over the broken bridge, or use a tele.

Glad you liked it :tipshat:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Holy :laffo: I'm dying.

Also not quite super old school FPS, but I'm shooting my way through most of the WWII-era Medal of Honor games and it's been a pretty good time so far.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I don't know if this is my fault, but I couldn't find out how to proceed after picking up the BFG and killing the teleporting monsters. Was there supposed to be a switch?

Temin_Dump posted:

Do I need to have them in the same folder as your map for it to work properly?

Humans Among Us posted:

E2; Allright, hope u guys like my first ever 'completed' map in the history of me loving around with editors

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ptf8t1zfa9uobp/AMONGUS.wad?dl=0

Fun map. Reminds me a lot of the Memento Moris, both in terms of general aesthetics and the non-linear, puzzle-oriented gameplay.

- It seems a bit arbitrary that I can jump on the roof with the shellbox from the Super Shotgun secret, but not on the roof to the right. Why have an invisible wall there?
- The secret teleporter next to the Rocket Launcher is pointless since all it does is save you five seconds of backtracking, but I kinda dig it. It adds to the feeling of interconnectedness that is present in the whole map.
- Some of the leaps are annoying if you don't have mouselook enabled, but that's not a problem if you're intending to submit this map to DUMP.
- Do the helmets on the library shelves exist solely to annoy people trying to get 100% items? Because if so, I approve.
- Health might be a bit too generous, at least on UV. The opposition is fairly light (not a bad thing since the main focus is on exploration), yet you're given two Soulsphere, a green and blue armour, and quite a few medkits as well.
- Same goes for ammo. I'm pretty sure there are enough cells to murder every single monster with the Plasma Gun, which seems rather excessive.
- Speaking of armour, it would arguably make more sense to switch the location of the green and blue one, since you're likely to find the latter first, negating the point of the former.
- There's one Cacodemon who only seems to activate when you jump down into the lava pit, which is annoying because you otherwise have no reason to go down there.
- Both times I played through the map, I ended with 100% secrets, but 99% kills. I don't know if that's just me missing an enemy or if there's a monster that's inaccessible.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Samuel Clemens posted:

I don't think so. They do need to be loaded into whatever sourceport you're using along with the map.

The easiest way would probably be to use some kind of wad launcher and have all of them in there at the same time. Sorry for the confusion. I could have sworn there was a thing that said not to have the custom textures directly in the wad file.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Samuel Clemens posted:

I don't know if this is my fault, but I couldn't find out how to proceed after picking up the BFG and killing the teleporting monsters. Was there supposed to be a switch?

Fun map. Reminds me a lot of the Memento Moris, both in terms of general aesthetics and the non-linear, puzzle-oriented gameplay.

- It seems a bit arbitrary that I can jump on the roof with the shellbox from the Super Shotgun secret, but not on the roof to the right. Why have an invisible wall there?
- The secret teleporter next to the Rocket Launcher is pointless since all it does is save you five seconds of backtracking, but I kinda dig it. It adds to the feeling of interconnectedness that is present in the whole map.
- Some of the leaps are annoying if you don't have mouselook enabled, but that's not a problem if you're intending to submit this map to DUMP.
- Do the helmets on the library shelves exist solely to annoy people trying to get 100% items? Because if so, I approve.
- Health might be a bit too generous, at least on UV. The opposition is fairly light (not a bad thing since the main focus is on exploration), yet you're given two Soulsphere, a green and blue armour, and quite a few medkits as well.
- Same goes for ammo. I'm pretty sure there are enough cells to murder every single monster with the Plasma Gun, which seems rather excessive.
- Speaking of armour, it would arguably make more sense to switch the location of the green and blue one, since you're likely to find the latter first, negating the point of the former.
- There's one Cacodemon who only seems to activate when you jump down into the lava pit, which is annoying because you otherwise have no reason to go down there.
- Both times I played through the map, I ended with 100% secrets, but 99% kills. I don't know if that's just me missing an enemy or if there's a monster that's inaccessible.

Thanks for the write-up :)

The roofs of the 2 huts you can't jump on let you fall thru the map for some reason... ( maybe the angle on the slopes is borked? )

The TP behind the rocket launcher is to give you a choice because i found that opening the regular door to the broken bridge part tends to clutter with enemies.

There is one stealth demon on the map, while all the others are regular spectres, which makes no sense but it kept suprising me while testing so i left it in :xd:

The rest are all also extremely valid points but i was anxious to get this up and playable, since i spend like 2 nights nonstop working on this map lol (after some time of getting accustomed to doombuilder)

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

I played CLIFSIDE (the runaround?) and enjoyed racing through all the teleports but i didn't care too much for the maze area, which you can totally walk past (:newlol:) It was fast and fun and when i saw the BFG i knew a big baddy would come and i wasn't dissapointed.

At one point i got turned around and was back at the first floor tho because the tele's go both ways.

Probably going to play all the other maps that people linked here tonite :madmax:

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Samuel Clemens posted:

There's supposed to be a spider demon that teleports in as well. Killing that opens the way to the exit. Did you still have monsters in the middle when you picked it up?
Here's a version where that shouldn't be a problem.

LogicalFallacy fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 25, 2016

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

CJacobs posted:

Aww, that's a shame. I checked out its steam page and it looks like it's got basically none of the elements of the wad that I liked in it!

edit: I think it impressed me more as an amateur map maker than a Doom player, like seriously every 5 minutes something happened that made me go "woah, how the hell did he set that up?" The wad's use of scripting was really clever and cool. I loved the hub idea too.

A page late, but Unloved the standalone game vs. Unloved the Doom mod is basically the textbook case of why giving laypeople access to all of, say, DO4M's raw modding tools would not result in anything that looks very good. The author, having made levels that feel amazing in the original Doom engine, completely shits the bed when he gives himself the task of making something half as compelling in a modern engine. And it's not even due to any particular deficiency on his own part, I don't think, aside from that of not knowing or recognizing his own limits.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Temin_Dump posted:

I don't think so. They do need to be loaded into whatever sourceport you're using along with the map.

Thanks, I got it working. Echoing Icept's sentiment, the centre fight with the rising curtain is pretty drat cool. I'm digging the black-and-white aesthetic as well.

- I'm usually not a big fan of the "hit a switch and a door opens somewhere else" approach, but I think it works out nicely here because the doors are clearly visually distinct and even give you a helpful hint when you try to activate them.
- Some of the one-way doors have skulls next to them, which makes it seem like they require a key. Might be better to just leave them blank.
- As fantastic as the main hall looks, it's kind of a pain to fight in there since the seats tend to block you and the lack of colour makes it difficult to spot the Cyberdemon's rockets. I don't know if there's anything you can do about that without destroying the aesthetic. though.
- The outside area on the front feels somewhat pointless since there's nothing there except for a bunch of random monsters. Not a big deal by any means, but having some ammo or something along those lines would make exploring it feel a bit more rewarding.
- Not sure what the intended method for obtaining the Soulsphere is. I got it by making a tricky jump off the railing, but that felt a bit too finicky to be the "proper" way.
- The final Archvile is a pushover, but I think that's fine. The main attraction is the stage fight, after all.

I don't know if that's intentional, but one of the Mancs in the front row seems to be stuck and can't actually attack you. I guess he's just very captivated by the performance. :v:

I don't have anything to say about this screenshot, I just posted it because I love the lighting. It looks gorgeous.

LogicalFallacy posted:

There's supposed to be a spider demon that teleports in as well. Killing that opens the way to the exit. Did you still have monsters in the middle when you picked it up?
Here's a version where that shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah, this one worked. I guess one of the monsters I left alive must have blocked him from spawning in.

Also, that final room on pistol start is pretty hectic. :D

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVBDixfYuLk

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I tried to record a video of playing my map with everything tuned down to near software DooM levels, but nVidia shadowplay doesn't recognize doom as a game to record in.

edit: figured it out. I had to start the recording on my desktop, with the whole thing set to record what was displayed on desktop.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 20, 2016

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

A.o.D. posted:

I tried to record a video of playing my map with everything tuned down to near software DooM levels, but nVidia shadowplay doesn't recognize doom as a game to record in.

Sounds like you're using GZDoom, which as you know is in OpenGL. Ironically, if you used actual software rendering, which in ZDoom and GZDoom is drawn to a DirectX9 surface, Shadowplay will pick it up fine. Shadowplay does not at this stage hook into OpenGL, although it can record OpenGL with desktop mode, even in fullscreen, but hotkey focus tends to get lost.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I made a video of me playing through my level on Hurt Me Plenty:

https://youtu.be/z6lc-lajUmA

I play it (badly (on purpose) spoiler-free, so that you can experience it for yourself as freshly as possible. It's also the latest and final I mean it this time version, as I found a few bad difficulty flags, and 4 bad textures. You can get the thing at: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwC0_bVs2ISnWnBlNGhsNDYtZTA&pageId=116383459165995562192 if you really want to, and that's the last time I'm going to mention the thing in here.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Samuel Clemens posted:

Also, that final room on pistol start is pretty hectic. :D
Yeah. I was in a rush to fix that before going to work and just realized I forgot to move the player start back. Absolutely for realsies fixed version will be up when I get home tonight.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

This is a work of art.

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/89093-seinfeld-wad-jerrys-apartment-a-doom-ii-wad-gzdoom-recommended/

Nuff said.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Mod of the year.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Gonna load it up with brutal doom and tell Jerry to go gently caress yourself.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Alright. Here's the new link. I believe I've unfucked everything that I hosed up fixing the potential unwinnable state. I'll go back and replace all my previous links so I dont have a bunch of dead links hanging around.

LogicalFallacy fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 25, 2016

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Doom is all well and good, but this week is the Quake's 20th birthday! I bet you feel old now.

So! What's happening to celebrate? I haven't seen a lot yet, but I might as well post what I've seen:

• PC Gamer has thrown up some Quakeworld servers for the week, with a promise of a retrospective article among other things later this week.
  • The cool Tumblr QuakeMaps, which usually posts a screenshot of one custom Quake map every day, has changed tack to posting screenshots of the original Id1 maps.
  • Sock is promising/threatening a new version of Arcane Dimensions soon. What better time?
  • I'll probably release a new version of Samsara in a day or so, because, uhhh... Ranger, I guess?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
That screenshot leads me to ask, is there a texture resolution limit for Doom maps or something? I've always wondered what's stopping wad makers from making maps with the same polygonal and texture density as more modern games.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm getting this error when I try and run the Seinfeld wad with GZDoom. Anyone got any ideas?

Script error, "gSeinfeld.wad:DECORATE" line 17:
SpawnID must be in the range [0,255]

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Update GZDoom.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That screenshot leads me to ask, is there a texture resolution limit for Doom maps or something? I've always wondered what's stopping wad makers from making maps with the same polygonal and texture density as more modern games.

Big textures require good artists, and the Doom community has been using the same assets for decades.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jun 21, 2016

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Thanks - that fixed it!

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

With sufficient time and effort, Doom can do some pretty fantastic things. Case in point:

Mod is called Total Chaos, and it's been WIP for quite a while it seems, but according to their latest blog post, they are going to have a playable alpha out this year.:neckbeard:

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
There's so much quake in the engine that Total Chaos is running on, it's not really Doom. That said, I've been stoked for it for what... 5 years now?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Babylon Astronaut posted:

There's so much quake in the engine that Total Chaos is running on, it's not really Doom. That said, I've been stoked for it for what... 5 years now?

What, did they decide to make their own engine? I thought it would run on plain old Bernie Zandersnum.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

A new, quite good, NES remix of piece of music from Doom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEkVnQVaj5g

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

laserghost posted:

Impressive percussion :monocle:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

laserghost posted:

It's nice, but it's not NES. Way too many channels, at least not for anything available in the US.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

apparently a sound chip used in a handful of konami famicom games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

A.o.D. posted:

It's nice, but it's not NES. Way too many channels, at least not for anything available in the US.

Ok ok try to imagine two NESes playing at the same time 4 channels each of this song.
Also his PC lagging at 1:15 just from running Brutal Doom. :laffo:

Negostrike fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 22, 2016