Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Is anyone going to be at all surprised when it turns out Trump's general election run was just a massive graft machine funneling tens of millions in donor money to Trump's various lovely businesses for "services rendered to the Trump campaign"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I bet Trump drops out before the convention.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

Is anyone going to be at all surprised when it turns out Trump's general election run was just a massive graft machine funneling tens of millions in donor money to Trump's various lovely businesses for "services rendered to the Trump campaign"?

No. I mean, the MSM will feign surprise, at least.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

That was my assumption going in. Trump saw all the swag everyone else was making on scam presidential runs and wanted that action for himself. He has never had any interest in actually being President.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Noam Chomsky posted:

I bet Trump drops out before the convention.
Serious talk, what happens if that happens? Or sometime between the convention and the election? Trump's short attention span has got to get the better of him eventually.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

There's no way Trump drops before he's paid himself back.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Samurai Sanders posted:

Serious talk, what happens if that happens? Or sometime between the convention and the election? Trump's short attention span has got to get the better of him eventually.

If he drops out before the convention, Cruz is the nominee.

if he drops out after the convention, the RNC has to select a replacement nominee. This has never been done before and would be total chaos.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Before the convention, the delegates are unbound and can choose another nominee. After the convention, it gets more complicated. If there is enough time, they could poll the delegates, otherwise it comes down to a small circle within the party eventually.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Lmao he's just been paying himself rent and for services rendered with public funds.

What are the chances he hosed something up and can get hit with election fraud or financial fraud charges?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

That's 20% of his outlays for the period

:lol:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Crain posted:

Lmao he's just been paying himself rent and for services rendered with public funds.

What are the chances he hosed something up and can get hit with election fraud or financial fraud charges?

The web he's weaving is so tangled that he'll be long dead before they have enough to bring charges

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

The web he's weaving is so tangled that he'll be long dead before they have enough to bring charges

For the last time, it's NOT a weave, it's his natural hair!

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Jesus how do you spend that much at a commercial tower? Is that rent or some kind of convention space? If the latter, that's an absurd sum. Would paying rent be illegal?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Trump has taken the scampaign to its logical end.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Jon Stewart picked the worst year to leave.

E: Pictured here is Jon at this very moment

Boon fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 21, 2016

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

KittenofDoom posted:

Jesus how do you spend that much at a commercial tower? Is that rent or some kind of convention space? If the latter, that's an absurd sum. Would paying rent be illegal?

I have to assume it's for office space and maybe renting meeting rooms.

I also wouldn't be surprised if he just charges himself $XXXX.XX for every hour he's in his office doing campaign stuff.

Boon posted:

Jon Stewart picked the worst year to leave

Stewart would have keeled over dead months ago if he were still on air.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
By overcharging himself for campaign expenses at his hotels and companies Trump can "contribute" quite a lot of money that he immediately recoups. That might be valuable if he's approaching big donors and he can say "I've already put in 100M (that I'm getting right back by charging the campaign 100M above cost for Trump services)"

I guess that looks like it's just a scam but I'd bet that's just SOP for any Trump venture. He's actually running for president just like he'd build some condos and tricking the investors and funneling money back to himself is exactly how he'd build some condos.

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 21, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Hahaha it's like Trump saw the string of Colbert episodes about money in elections and how easily manipulated they are and was like I can do that.

Yeah, more and more it's looking like Trump is gonna get stripped at the RNC.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

James Garfield posted:

Radar and microwaves are no use for killing people, and airplanes and rockets are more regulated than guns. Even radar, and any sort of microwave transmitter past the one in an oven, are more regulated than guns.

also none of those things except maybe rockets were even invented to kill people :ssh:

When radar was first pioneered it was straight-up introduced as a potential avenue for the creation of a sci-fi "death ray" type weapon.

Just because that particular endeavor ultimately failed and the tech ended up better serving other, more generally benign, ends doesn't negate the fact that the US and British governments both plowed some cash and time in the late 30s-mid 40s into seeing if they couldn't at least turn it into an anti-personnel device.

Remember, War of the Worlds was first published in 1898 and [extremely dangerous] radiation experiments had already been going on since before the turn of the 20th Century. When you consider that and throw in what was also going on with the Manhattan Project and similar efforts at the time, it shouldn't be surprising that people were eager to develop microwave and radar tech into hypothetical 'targeted energy' or radiation-based weapons virtually as soon as it made the scene.

And you could also make the argument that radar tech and ballistics tech had fundamental impacts on each other's development and trajectories, particularly in radar's most formative decades in the 50's-70's. We simply wouldn't have today's arsenal or civilian/municipal radar technology without the US's almost 70-year legacy of radar-guided bomb development.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Crain posted:

Stewart would have keeled over dead months ago if he were still on air.

I bet he thanks god every day that he quit when he did.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Dexo posted:

Hahaha it's like Trump saw the string of Colbert episodes about money in elections and how easily manipulated they are and was like I can do that.

I was really hoping for Cruz to lose it and just start strangling Trump on stage halfway through (one of) his speech(s).

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Riptor posted:

I mean I'm with you here but wasn't modern rocketry started with the V2 and von braun

It was the Nazis that invested heavily in rocketry, but before that I think most of the interest was as a way to go to space.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

if he drops out after the convention, the RNC has to select a replacement nominee. This has never been done before and would be total chaos.

If anyone is interested in how this would go down, NPR's politics podcast covered it for both parties this past week.

http://www.npr.org/player/embed/482398759/482400582

Basically, all delegates have to gather again and vote.

In other words, total chaos.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dexo posted:

I would be heartbroken if this happened. He needs to stay lashed to the GOP for maximum publicity.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I know think that Lewandowski getting fired was all part of the plan similar to Roger Stone. After seeing his interview on CNN, I think he is still on board. Yes, he was moved out of his position of power but I think they decided to do it this way to maximize news stories. Now, everyone wanted to talk to him today and he spent the entire time setting up Trump as being in control. He probably got hired immediately as contributor on several networks (at least Fox News). Hell, he went out and talked to all the major networks within a few hours. We might find out soon that he has been hired by one of the pro-Trump PACs. One of the issues recently has been that Trump's surrogates were lost on message. Now Lewandowski is one of the people leading the message because he was crafting the message before. While Stone might be there for the crazy info wars audience, Lewandowski is now there for the "mainstream news" audience.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

If anyone is interested in how this would go down, NPR's politics podcast covered it for both parties this past week.

http://www.npr.org/player/embed/482398759/482400582

Basically, all delegates have to gather again and vote.

In other words, total chaos.

This is when Cruz starts taking out the remaining candidates one by one Horror Movie style.

Then he'll truly earn the title of Zodiac Killer.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

JeffersonClay posted:

By overcharging himself for campaign expenses at his hotels and companies Trump can "contribute" quite a lot of money that he immediately recoups. That might be valuable if he's approaching big donors and he can say "I've already put in 100M (that I'm getting right back by charging the campaign 100M above cost for Trump services)"

I guess that looks like it's just a scam but I'd bet that's just SOP for any Trump venture. He's actually running for president just like he'd build some condos and tricking the investors and funneling money back to himself is exactly how he'd build some condos.

The best part of all this is that we've been smirking at this possibility at work (money laundering investigator for a big ol' multinational bank) because it's the way you launder money if you think you're a genius but actually only learned about the process via Breaking Bad. Next we'll hear that Manafort called in favors from a few Mideast terror financiers in his Rolodex who made a fake almond growers for trump org and donated a few million drawn off ag loans.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

So a Facebook friend is claiming that the Democrats are refusing to compromise on gun control, and as evidence pointed to the fact that two of the gun control amendments rejected today had Democrats voting Nay and Republicans voting Yea. I looked it up, and it seems he's right--the Democrats voted Nay on both the Corryn and Grassley amendments. Why did they do that? I could understand voting against increasing the power of the no-fly list, but if that was the motivation for rejecting Corryn, then why did so many Democrats vote for the Feinstein-Kirk amendment? And what was wrong with the background checks amendment put forth by Grassley?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

VikingofRock posted:

And what was wrong with the background checks amendment put forth by Grassley?

It was proposed by a Republican.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Dexo posted:

Yeah the RNC will offer him an out to save face since he has no interest in real campaign. So, he'll drop out before the convention and be offered a speaking spot at the convention in an attempt to bring his supporters into the fold.

That's the only winning the GOP or Trump can do here.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Crain posted:

This is when Cruz starts taking out the remaining candidates one by one Horror Movie style.

Then he'll truly earn the title of Zodiac Killer.

"How odd, only 559 delegates showed up for the vote..."

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

VikingofRock posted:

So a Facebook friend is claiming that the Democrats are refusing to compromise on gun control, and as evidence pointed to the fact that two of the gun control amendments rejected today had Democrats voting Nay and Republicans voting Yea. I looked it up, and it seems he's right--the Democrats voted Nay on both the Corryn and Grassley amendments. Why did they do that? I could understand voting against increasing the power of the no-fly list, but if that was the motivation for rejecting Corryn, then why did so many Democrats vote for the Feinstein-Kirk amendment? And what was wrong with the background checks amendment put forth by Grassley?

It was worse than nothing. By requiring the FBI to affirmatively act to ban after 72 hours, given the current state of the firearm background check system, it literally provides a fig leaf to protect the status quo while giving Republicans a weapon to beat Democrats with when the topic inevitably comes up again ("See? Gun control doesn't work!")

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

LeJackal posted:

It was proposed by a Republican.

That was my conclusion as well.

The Corryn one was great. It addresses my single objection to use of the terror watchlist/no-fly/whatever by adding in a formal hearing to confirm or reject the denial.

Grassley just wanted to add funding and data to NICS which is an excellent idea that isn't new and has lots of support from the gun community as well: http://www.fixnics.org/

So pretty much

Javid posted:

the number of people on both sides who are willing to work towards a compromise that is agreeable to both parties are a tiny minority as compared to the people who just want the result of a legislative session to piss off the other side

Javid fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 21, 2016

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

The best part of all this is that we've been smirking at this possibility at work (money laundering investigator for a big ol' multinational bank) because it's the way you launder money if you think you're a genius but actually only learned about the process via Breaking Bad. Next we'll hear that Manafort called in favors from a few Mideast terror financiers in his Rolodex who made a fake almond growers for trump org and donated a few million drawn off ag loans.

Is there any chance Manafort gets arrested/indicted for all the poo poo he's pulled abroad? I mean the guy almost certainly has violated the FCPA and violating the FCPA is a great way to permanently ruin your life.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It was worse than nothing. By requiring the FBI to affirmatively act to ban after 72 hours, given the current state of the firearm background check system, it literally provides a fig leaf to protect the status quo while giving Republicans a weapon to beat Democrats with when the topic inevitably comes up again ("See? Gun control doesn't work!")

What is the issue with this? The government has to actually prove in a court of law that a person who has been convicted of no crime should be denied a right (because if they had been previously convicted, they would have been denied on those grounds instead with the denial not subject to appeal)

A lack of due process with the terror watchlist is the single primary objection gun people have to its being added as a criteria for failing a background check. This amendment would've addressed that objection and (nominally) been a compromise acceptable to everyone.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

James Garfield posted:

It was the Nazis that invested heavily in rocketry, but before that I think most of the interest was as a way to go to space.

I believe von Braun basically used the Nazis wanting ICBMs to fund his rocketry research.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Javid posted:

That was my conclusion as well.

The Corryn one was great. It addresses my single objection to use of the terror watchlist/no-fly/whatever by adding in a formal hearing to confirm or reject the denial.

Grassley just wanted to add funding and data to NICS which is an excellent idea that isn't new and has lots of support from the gun community as well: http://www.fixnics.org/

So pretty much

Bullshit, until the NRA stops stonewalling on a fully digital system for background checks and tracking purchases, more of them are useless.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Shillary posted:

Bullshit, until the NRA stops stonewalling on a fully digital system for background checks and tracking purchases, more of them are useless.

The other problem is even if a system was passed, the NRA has made it easy for gun stores to slip through the cracks.

Our current paper system basically doesn't require to turn much in, and many times what they turn in is mixed up or completely illegible. NPR did a piece on how they get a lot of records that are written on toilet paper, or don't get the records until the store owner dies.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Shillary posted:

What, do you think the NICS system is a few 1950's era secretaries combing through filing cabinets?

This discussion would actually go places if willful ignorance wasn't held as a point of pride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Noam Chomsky posted:

Yeah the RNC will offer him an out to save face since he has no interest in real campaign. So, he'll drop out before the convention and be offered a speaking spot at the convention in an attempt to bring his supporters into the fold.

That's the only winning the GOP or Trump can do here.

That assumes that Trump isn't a raving narcissist who thinks that he can actually win. Or at least drag this out for another few months getting high off the attention.

• Locked thread