Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Brannock posted:

Anyone wanna explain to me what's going on with the right leg?
it's not what you posted this for but the textures are so bad. his face especially looks terrible(those lovely little ~ things aside, it's just not the right shape) but his torso, arms and legs... it's all just a texture lazily pasted onto a surface with no regard for whether they make sense together. maybe if his legs/arms actually had those little cylindrical segments modeled so there was variation to his limbs they'd look like they were made out of metal parts instead of just... whatever this poo poo is.

look at his arms. they're so gross. weird gross bendy tubes that swell at the end before attaching to his hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hey so I know this isn't the Castlevania thread but you guys are cool in my book, so: which of the GBA games should I replay first? I seem to remember Circle of the Moon being not-great, but that was a long-rear end time ago.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

btw barkley shut up and jam dudes where is your game?

it was grea t came out late 2013 release

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Since I'm still going down memory lane, I made sure to find a video of that Red Ash pre-alpha concept demo they released when the Kickstarter wasn't going to recover, but hadn't yet been saved by the Chinese Ouya.

You got to play as Mighty No. 9 Beck!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Hey so I know this isn't the Castlevania thread but you guys are cool in my book, so: which of the GBA games should I replay first? I seem to remember Circle of the Moon being not-great, but that was a long-rear end time ago.

Aria of Sorrow is the best.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Circle of the Moon is very good, HoD is decent if you get used to the ear-destroying music quality and Aria of Sorrow is the best GBA Castlevania.

All of the DS ones are good.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Aria of Sorrow is my favorite Castlevania and I run through it at least once a year. Plus, Julius mode is real fun.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ManlyGrunting posted:

It's kind of sad how Shovel Knight ended up doing far better at being a modern Megaman-like (well there are other influences, but the Megaman one is one of the really clear ones) on a literal tenth of the budget and somehow managed to look better while aping the NES.

Also some of my favourite games of the last year or so (LISA, Undertale) were kickstarted and based on a single person, and unproven ones at that. I guess in the future the lesson is to trust groups who worked on the same project or people who are working with the ground floor already built (ie RPG maker games, or stuff like Shantae where the studio and art style are already proven) :shrug:

fake e: oh wait, MN9 made 4 million, not 3. So SK did it on 7.5% of the budget :stare:

Did Shovel Knight not have other money aside from Kickstarter?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

The devs worked for a time without pay, so I imagine not much if any.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

TheKingofSprings posted:

They had a little money coming in from merch sales but they were running on fumes for the last ~6 months of development. It's admirable that they were able to produce such a good game under those conditions but you shouldn't expect every (or any) team to work that way. (For perspective, by their own calculations, a team of their size working on the same game for the same amount of time at their previous studio would have cost $1.5m.)

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Alteisen posted:

From my limited animation experience, it seems like they bent the knee to far back in the idle animation and never corrected it.

Two likely possibilities:
1) The hip joint is too high for how forward Beck's left leg is, so it's hyper-extending and doesn't have a squash/stretch on the rig.
2) The legs are still IK, but the knee direction controller is too close to or is behind the knee

I'm leaning toward #1 because of that weird pop the knee does when his hips rise in the idle pose.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Motto posted:

The devs worked for a time without pay, so I imagine not much if any.

Jesus christ the MN9 devs should be ashamed

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shovel Knight is a great success story but it's also an example of how Kickstarters really heavily lowball their costs because the expected costs are way undervalued.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Jesus christ the MN9 devs should be ashamed

tbf the lesson to take from shovel knight is less 'yeah, people SHOULD produce great games under crap condition' and more 'don't undervalue yourself on kickstarter'

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

ImpAtom posted:

Shovel Knight is a great success story but it's also an example of how Kickstarters really heavily lowball their costs because the expected costs are way undervalued.

See also the undeserved flak the Indivisible crowdfunding goal received for actually being realistic for the cost of developing a video game.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Endorph posted:

tbf the lesson to take from shovel knight is less 'yeah, people SHOULD produce great games under crap condition' and more 'don't undervalue yourself on kickstarter'

Another is that adding on extra parts you aren't ready for or are detrimental to your core game development is a bad idea. Focus on making a good basic not megaman first, then maybe a sequel series as well as an improved sequel.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Andrigaar posted:

Two likely possibilities:
1) The hip joint is too high for how forward Beck's left leg is, so it's hyper-extending and doesn't have a squash/stretch on the rig.
2) The legs are still IK, but the knee direction controller is too close to or is behind the knee

I'm leaning toward #1 because of that weird pop the knee does when his hips rise in the idle pose.

maybe his knees are just bendy tubes and they're meant to be able to bend any direction?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

My friend said this is all according to plan. Mega Man didn't get good until the second one.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Takoluka posted:

My friend said this is all according to plan. Mega Man didn't get good until the second one.

Did you ask why, despite the length of the main Mega Man series, plus spinoffs, they couldn't get it right the first time if they were calling the game any sort of successor to Mega Man itself?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The answer to that question seems to be "they picked an inexperienced nobody with little pedigree to direct the game instead of any one of the many MM veterans within Inti/Concept".

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

It was a joke, so I don't think that's a question that needs to be asked. But the answer is "Gotta start over!"

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The answer to that question seems to be "they picked an inexperienced nobody with little pedigree to direct the game instead of any one of the many MM veterans within Inti/Concept".

I like how to give him notable credits, they had to dig up Operate Shooting Star, a nearly no-frills port of BN1 to the DS.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They had a little money coming in from merch sales but they were running on fumes for the last ~6 months of development. It's admirable that they were able to produce such a good game under those conditions but you shouldn't expect every (or any) team to work that way. (For perspective, by their own calculations, a team of their size working on the same game for the same amount of time at their previous studio would have cost $1.5m.)

Oof, I recant a little then, no one should have to work with conditions like that, even by the vile crunch-time ethos of most game development that's harsh. I'm glad it worked out for them so well in the end but yikes :(

e: to clarify, it's kind of incredible that they pulled it off but I really wish they didn't have to live off instant ramen and dreams for half a year to do it.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 21, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

the xbox 360 version of mighty no 9 got delayed

after release!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
gently caress this. Shovel Knight is better and always has been.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
People should be getting their backer codes now. I just got mine.

EDIT: HAH! They hosed up and sent me two retro hero codes instead of a Ray DLC code. How did I know they would still somehow gently caress up.

EDIT2: While the Steam release still isn't out the DRM free version is, so you can just download that.

Black Mage Knight fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 21, 2016

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Did- did this game actually come out?!

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Black Mage Knight posted:

People should be getting their backer codes now. I just got mine.

EDIT: HAH! They hosed up and sent me two retro hero codes instead of a Ray DLC code. How did I know they would still somehow gently caress up.

EDIT2: While the Steam release still isn't out the DRM free version is, so you can just download that.

Oh, hey, I just sent in a support ticket about getting a second Retro Hero code instead of a Ray code. Glad it wasn't just me.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Oh good the dlc isn't being distributed right now, at least on the Wii U eShop.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

People who chose 360 are getting free steam codes because of the being delayed after release thing?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I'm not at home right now, but I've got a no-DRM download and 3 listed Steam keys via Humble.

Let the letdown begin! (In 30-40 minutes+install time)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Can anyone confirm this?
https://twitter.com/etdragonpunch/status/745117940396130304

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

I can tell you as soon as it finish downloading, Its been saying finish in 20 minutes for the last 30 minutes

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Jarogue posted:

I can tell you as soon as it finish downloading, Its been saying finish in 20 minutes for the last 30 minutes

https://twitter.com/megaloltaku/status/745135711926378497 :v:

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.
https://twitter.com/Loading_Time/status/745144827658936320

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The OST isn't out yet? Meh.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.
https://twitter.com/megaloltaku/status/745145598458765321

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
My Ray DLC also came up as Retro Mineshit DLC.

Is the retro key also retro, or did they just muss up their database?

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

Andrigaar posted:

My Ray DLC also came up as Retro Mineshit DLC.

Is the retro key also retro, or did they just muss up their database?

They messed up the database most likely.

By the way, the game still looks like poo poo. Ray's victory screen for levels is especially bad. Also you know how Ray is actually a girl (her full name is Raychel)? Well some of the menus refer to her as he. So it looks like all that extra dev time did not include spell checking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

The Wii U ver says they are both the same code but I can't download it right now to confirm it.