Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Burkion posted:

He's also on record saying that it's his favorite adaptation of one of his works.

That episode is great. It still irks me about what happened with From Hell. I saw the movie in theaters as a kid and had no idea at the time it was based on a graphic novel. I liked it at the time, but watching it in light of the source material is just shameful. A faithful adaptation as a miniseries or two-season series would be just right for it. It's probably my favorite work of Moore's, if only for the insane amount of research he did for it.

Props to David Hayter on the Watchmen screenplay. As I understand it the final draft used a lot of his work. I've never watched the cut with the Tales of the Black Freighter stuff interspersed, but the Director's Cut with the Black Freighter as a separate short is crazy good. I hope that the Director's Cut to Batman v Superman is comparable to the Director's Cut of Watchmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Of the two versions, only the film is capable of inspiring Anonymous.

It's a movie where the true victim of islamophobia is a rich, white atheist and we entertain fantasies that the NWO/Illuminati are going to shut down The Daily Show with gay Jon Stewart.

But it's still a drat good film.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

That episode is great. It still irks me about what happened with From Hell. I saw the movie in theaters as a kid and had no idea at the time it was based on a graphic novel. I liked it at the time, but watching it in light of the source material is just shameful. A faithful adaptation as a miniseries or two-season series would be just right for it. It's probably my favorite work of Moore's, if only for the insane amount of research he did for it.

Props to David Hayter on the Watchmen screenplay. As I understand it the final draft used a lot of his work. I've never watched the cut with the Tales of the Black Freighter stuff interspersed, but the Director's Cut with the Black Freighter as a separate short is crazy good. I hope that the Director's Cut to Batman v Superman is comparable to the Director's Cut of Watchmen.

Yeah the Ultimate Cut isn't worth it. Even Snyder has said it's nothing but a novelty and completely ruins the pacing of the movie.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The film needed more scenes with Night Owl and some exposition on Under the Hood. TBQH.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Crossposting from the Posters thread

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Character Posters of Suicide Squad

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm glad that they had the guts to not cast Suicide Squad's blue collar and overweight Detroit mother turned Washington power player Amanda Waller into a hot model. Instead they cast her as a still pretty woman with a completely average figure.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Oodles of ridiculous looking comic characters and also: a black woman.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
It's like Fast & Furious meets Harry Potter or something.

edit: Also, every generic ethnicity is represented - white, Asian, Latino, Black, Native American, and Lizard Person.

(Heck, the most evil guy is literally the whitest.)

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 20, 2016

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like that Will Smith seems to be making that face after seeing the Joker.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Codependent Poster posted:

I like that Will Smith seems to be making that face after seeing the Joker.

He's always making that face. That's his go-to face.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

K. Waste posted:

It's like Fast & Furious meets Harry Potter or something.

edit: Also, every generic ethnicity is represented - white, Asian, Latino, Black, Native American, and Lizard Person.

(Heck, the most evil guy is literally the whitest.)

I actually like this?

Also, they have a Bogan.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Finally a large enough picture of Will Smith to print on a body pillow. :swoon:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Maybe if Suicide Squad turns out to be poo poo and bombs, Will Smith will retire ala Sean Connery.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm glad that they had the guts to not cast Suicide Squad's blue collar and overweight Detroit mother turned Washington power player Amanda Waller into a hot model. Instead they cast her as a still pretty woman with a completely average figure.

Davis will no doubt be great as The Wall, but oh man if they'd gotten their first choice - Oprah - then it would have been too good for words.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Watchmen is basically a big long argument on utilitarian ethics, normative ethics or pragmatism, and moral absolutism. What's interesting is that despite Veidt's adherence to a antiquarian viewpoint he doesn't actually follow Nichomachean ethics. It questions the ethics of the actions of the people who would be "superheroes".

Watchmen asks one question : "Was Veidt Right? "

Basically, people who read the book generally come on one side of the equation of saying

" Well yea, Veidt did what was necessary for the benefit of the many a few must suffer" which Jon agrees with (this is utilitarianism)

" Veidt was a monster who killed millions of people, but he did save lives and while I don't agree with his actions I would not want him punished because that could result in the deaths of more people " Which Dan views as the solution (this is normative ethics and pragmatism)

" Veidt is a monster what he did was wrong and he must be brought to justice" which is Rorschach's view. (moral absolutism)

The whole book in a way can be seen as a ethics test for the reader and who you agree with says a lot about you as a person.

Very intriguing. As a rather introspective person, Watchmen sounds like it's right up my alley.

Thank you. I am absolutely buying this now.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Davis will no doubt be great as The Wall, but oh man if they'd gotten their first choice - Oprah - then it would have been too good for words.

I feel the same way about Prisoners.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Alhazred posted:

That lawsuit was really why Alan Moore decided to burn all bridges with DC. If DC had stood up for him then he might have continued to let his name be in the credits but they didn't and Moore decided that he no longer wanted to be associated with adaptations of his work.
It really is amazing how toxic that movie was, it ended bot COnnery's and Norrington's careers and was the last (only?) adaption of Moore's work where he is credited.

What would DC have to do with this? League of Extraordinary Gentlemen wasn't published by DC, and the film wasn't made by Warner Brothers (who owns DC)

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Every bit of Suicide Squad marketing has been ten times better than Deadpool's. The cereal bowl poster is genius. Everything about Deadpool's marketing was the most obvious poo poo possible and people lapped it up - "hey guys, remember how disappointing Green Lantern was!?" "Why yes! I remember that, and it's so totally uncommon for Hollywood to admit its own failures, ever."

Also I really don't think the ending of Watchmen was supposed to be ambiguous. The dude's name is literally Ozymandius.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Last time I watched the movie of Watchmen, I started to find Veidt's decision a lot sillier. All the discussion of how nuclear war is inevitable started to seem like a joke to me given that we live in a world where we didn't need an alien holocaust in order to prevent the Cold War from fully erupting. Maybe the movie helped make me feel this way, but I think it's kinda reasonable to consider the possibility that Dr. Manhattan is actually kind of an idiot and doesn't really know what he's talking about (especially with regard to knowing the future).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Martman posted:

we live in a world where we didn't need an alien holocaust in order to prevent the Cold War from fully erupting.

We don't live in a world where "the Superman is real, and he's American," either.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The alien invasion thing is 100% based on reality, because the loving fool running the US when Watchmen was written had his finger on the button the whole time until a TV show changed his mind, or he thought about what might happen if Aliens invaded the earth tomorrow.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Given that the name is Suicide Squad I find it highly likely a number of them will be total-redshirts who do bugger all before being offed.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I was kind of disappointed that they didn't include a lot of the weird background things in Watchmen like how there are electric cars, weird smoke pipes, and Airships. The ending is disappointing because it just doesn't make sense to pin it on John and instead not go with the otherworldly threat. John is specifically a tool of the United States in the film and the book so him going "rogue" would basically trigger WW3 instantly because the Russians would be like " Oh poo poo under attack".

It also really didn't emphasize how close to Armageddon the world was.

It was just a really dumb decision and there are weird changes that make no sense in the film. Like why change the ending at all? There was just no reason to change Veidt's script other than the comic reference or not have the tearful moment of joy he has.

Like the guy who play Ozymandias was loving terrible and there was no triumph at the end.

That panel was really shocking because it showed that Veidt was legitimately happy that he saved the world.

compared to the sanitizing images you get in the film of just big craters everywhere.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 21, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It made sense to me. :shrug:

Manhattan gets relentlessly poo poo on, on TV, leaves the planet, and theoretically, comes back to kill all the world superpowers. Including Amercia. The Alien is good in the comics, but requires way too much set up to do it justice.

And I don't see why the movie version has to give the characters the exact same personality. Despite it's faithfulness, it's fine and good to deviate from the source. In the film Veidt did what he believed he had too. But he didn't enjoy it like his comic book counter-part. Hence the line "I am not a comic book villain."

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

In spite of its fame, I've remained mostly unspoiled on Watchmen. I should probably try to keep it that way since it seems like a work that requires your...authentic reaction to revelations and events.

Glancing at the Watchmen wiki page though, it seems Moore approved of the film's screenplay but the important thing for me is learning said screenplay was written by David Hayter. To me he's always the voice of Solid Snake and I keep forgetting it seems like the voice-actor gig was just his way to get his foot in the door for a writing career. Not that I mind, I liked X2 and X1 was good for its time.

I wonder if Wolverine's prominence was something forced on him by directors or editors. This was the post-X:TAS world where Wolverine was the height of cool as far as X-stuff was related.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah, but Manhattan going crazy and destroying the world is just going to be "loving Goddamn United States American superman". Remember Dr. Manhattan was involved in the Vietnam War and is absolutely potrayed as a agent of the United States.

The problem with Veidt is he is kind of shown as completely emotionless in the film which is really strange compared to the book where he is actually shown as a caring but driven person.

I don't think that Watchmen is completely terrible, but there are some specific moments where it just shits the bed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

But he also wrecked New York city too...so like, I think at that point they'd be smart enough to say (and they are) "Hey waitaminute....he's going after everyone!! He's the true enemy!"

And on the point about Veidt, that was my point. It's different from the books and that's good and okay.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!

Hollismason posted:

I was kind of disappointed that they didn't include a lot of the weird background things in Watchmen like how there are electric cars, weird smoke pipes, and Airships. The ending is disappointing because it just doesn't make sense to pin it on John and instead not go with the otherworldly threat. John is specifically a tool of the United States in the film and the book so him going "rogue" would basically trigger WW3 instantly because the Russians would be like " Oh poo poo under attack".

It also really didn't emphasize how close to Armageddon the world was.

It was just a really dumb decision and there are weird changes that make no sense in the film. Like why change the ending at all? There was just no reason to change Veidt's script other than the comic reference or not have the tearful moment of joy he has.

Like the guy who play Ozymandias was loving terrible and there was no triumph at the end.

That panel was really shocking because it showed that Veidt was legitimately happy that he saved the world.

compared to the sanitizing images you get in the film of just big craters everywhere.

The best part about Moore's writing is that he humanizes everyone. It's genuinely hard to say who's the villain or hero of The Watchmen. Would Ozymandias' victims have thanked anyone for stopping him, if it meant that they would die a month or year later, along with billions more? Rorschach is, in many ways, all the things posters here reject about our own culture, but it is impossible not to love him as he chooses to die rather than betray his own humanity. The Comedian is everything that was wrong with his generation's ideas about masculinity, but did he didn't deserve to die without finding peace with who he was and what he had done.

Suicide-chat: anyone else think that it's hilarious that one film ago, Superheros were this new strange thing in the DCU, and suddenly there are like 10 supervillains who've been at it long enough to redeem themselves as anti-heroes?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

But he also wrecked New York city too...so like, I think at that point they'd be smart enough to say (and they are) "Hey waitaminute....he's going after everyone!! He's the true enemy!"

And on the point about Veidt, that was my point. It's different from the books and that's good and okay.

I guess ,but it is a really weird change to make in the film because of Manhattan's associated with the United States Government. Also, it completely sanitizes what happens to people. In the book people die loving horribly and there is very graphically bodies every where.

Not really because Veidt is portrayed as basically a Vulcan.

edit:

Also notice that picture behind Ozymandias. That's Alexander and the Gordian Knot.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 21, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hodgepodge posted:

Suicide-chat: anyone else think that it's hilarious that one film ago, Superheros were this new strange thing in the DCU, and suddenly there are like 10 supervillains who've been at it long enough to redeem themselves as anti-heroes?

In fairness, like half of those are just psychotics that are very athletic.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

The Alien is good in the comics, but requires way too much set up to do it justice.

Not really. Felt very much in-line with what Ronald Reagan said, roughly, that world peace would require a threat from outside the world. It fit completely with my reading of the book, motifs I was picking up on. All it would require is a character saying something to the same effect.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hodgepodge posted:

The idea is that they've always been around in one form or another, but in secret, or covered up, or in the shadows, what have you. But Superman and the Kryptonian invasion made them come out of the woodwork. "But in time, they will join you in the sun, Kal."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TetsuoTW posted:

I've only read the first two volumes, so I guess it gets good later? Because frankly I liked the movie more, and I don't mean that as a complement.

This is the most insane thing I've ever loving read. But no, If you don't like the first 2 volumes of LOEG you aren't going to like anything after.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

The idea is that they've always been around in one form or another, but in secret, or covered up, or in the shadows, what have you. But Superman and the Kryptonian invasion made them come out of the woodwork. "But in time, they will join you in the sun, Kal."
Also one of them is from Australia and who even knows what kind of crazy poo poo goes on in an Australia in a world where superheroes exist.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Neil Degrasse Tyson ain't out there making soundbites about Captain Boomerang.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm gonna be That Guy and repost an old paragraph I wrote. NIKKOLASKING LOOK AWAY

My Lovely Horse posted:

The Watchmen film ending completely ignores the point that Ozymandias' whole deal is following in Alexander the Great's footsteps. The squid is the sword that strikes through the Gordian Knot that is Earth's politics. The solution has to be outrageous, unorthodox and to a degree unbelievable - if you're reading Watchmen for the first time, it comes completely out of nowhere, but that's the way it has to be to work. Using Doc Manhattan, who is wholly engrained in Earth's politics and even the reason they're in the state they're in, as a solution is like trying to solve the Gordian Knot by tugging juuust the right thread, and it's the one that's looped through all the other ones and itself the most. It's a flagrant misunderstanding of one of the book's central themes, one of its major characters, and the point of the historical legend.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!
Using Dr. Manhattan was an elegant solution to how to present Ozymandias' plan efficiently in a film, and was in its own way quite appropriate thematically. Instead of presenting the world with an outside threat, Ozymandias tricks the world into to recognizing America's trump card in the nuclear standoff as the real problem pushing the world to the brink of suicide.

That is actually a far more lateral solution to the problem than a big space squid.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

roffels posted:

What would DC have to do with this? League of Extraordinary Gentlemen wasn't published by DC, and the film wasn't made by Warner Brothers (who owns DC)

DC bought America's Best Comics which published League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

The Watchmen film ending completely ignores the point that Ozymandias' whole deal is following in Alexander the Great's footsteps. The squid is the sword that strikes through the Gordian Knot that is Earth's politics. The solution has to be outrageous, unorthodox and to a degree unbelievable - if you're reading Watchmen for the first time, it comes completely out of nowhere, but that's the way it has to be to work. Using Doc Manhattan, who is wholly engrained in Earth's politics and even the reason they're in the state they're in, as a solution is like trying to solve the Gordian Knot by tugging juuust the right thread, and it's the one that's looped through all the other ones and itself the most. It's a flagrant misunderstanding of one of the book's central themes, one of its major characters, and the point of the historical legend.

Alexander wasn't the first person to resolve an intractable knot by cutting it, it's an entirely normal solution, not unbelievable at all. What made Alexander's (mythical) cutting bold was that it bypassed the artificial game that you were supposed to play in trying to untie the knot, leaving people with either his hosed-up solution or nothing at all. As, once cut, the knot is destroyed and can no longer be conventionally untied, so either Alexander solved the puzzle, or no one ever will. This is, then, the situation that Dr. Manhattan, Night Owl, Rorschach, and Silk Spectre find themselves in, in either version of the story: millions are dead; will we allow this to be the solution to the problem?

The reason the film works is that what it gets right politically is identifying that America caused the problem by holding a gun to the world's head, and so the solution best involves explicitly disarming it by turning Dr. Manhattan against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I forget whether it is even mentioned, but in the comics the world in general believes that Dr. Manhatten never came back from Mars, right? Makes you wonder how long it takes until someone ties the alien to the god who's currently on the planet traditionally associated with alien attacks, a god who left earth screaming with anger.

• Locked thread