Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Holy poo poo a fish lawyer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimo Hombre
Jul 26, 2015
I used to fish bass tournaments and that almost destroyed my love of fishing. It became more like a stressful job that you payed to be at, now I just keep it simple and wade streams for smallies. It's more enjoyable and less expensive.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I went fishing today and planned to snap pictures of my many catches. The water was super choppy though, it didn't pan out. Maybe next time guys!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

LowPartz posted:

I think we're arguing to different points. You're discussing lures, while we were discussing the equipment used to present the lure (rod, reel, etc.). Your points on lure selection are correct: geography is absolutely a factor to consider. What works where i fish might be useless, from a terminal tackle perspective, than what works somewhere else, but the delivery system (rod, reel. Etc. ) relies more on technique preferred, rather than fish species sought.

Hopefully, this clears up any confusion for you in regards to lures versus rods et. al. I can elaborate further if you'd like, but the finer points might prove boring for someone who has no interest in actually fishing.

What draws you to photography?

I think we are arguing different points. You're discussing different cameras, while I am discussing different lens, used to capture the pictures. The Camera is responsible for the actual picture, but the lens is used for the different factors in capturing the picture. From a Lens perspective you could say that a 16 mm vs a 50 mm is used for entirely different subjects and angels, and then from a 50mm to a 200mm is completely different. All depending on the type of picture you wish to capture.

Hopefully, this clears up any confusion for you in regards to lens versus cameras, off camera flashes and the like. I can eleborate further if you'd like, but the finer points might prove to be boring for someone who has no interest in actual photography.

What draws you to angling?

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I like fishing but I don't like grabbing the gross slimy flopping fish off the hook and trying to get it off

and I can't ask anyone to do it for me because my friends would call me a pussy

so I don't go fishing anymore

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

VendaGoat posted:

What draws you to angling?

I enjoy it.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I like fishing but I don't like grabbing the gross slimy flopping fish off the hook and trying to get it off

It's the spiky sharp bastards that can slice your hand open or have nasty teeth that you really need to worry about.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

LowPartz posted:

I enjoy it.

You are loving drat skippy. :)

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015
I hope the same holds true for you and photography.

LowPartz
Dec 23, 2015

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Ask your friends to show you the right way to do it. No one learns without guidance. If they still call you names, your friends might be dicks.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

LowPartz posted:

I hope the same holds true for you and photography.

:respek:

LowPartz posted:

Ask your friends to show you the right way to do it. No one learns without guidance. If they still call you names, your friends might be dicks.

:respek:X2

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

jeff smisek posted:

When you're off probe, I need to upgrade my fly rod and need recommendations, pref under $300. 4 or 5wt, maybe 9ft? Maybe shorter. For small colorado mtn streams (trout obv)

Which streams? I fly fish a number of streams in the state. Mostly smaller creeks, but I enjoy roaring fork or the blue, and big t as well.

A lot is dependent on what conditions you're in: small streams with higher pressure are awesome with a 3-4wt and small arbor. Scott A4 rods are tremendous, but pricey. I started with a Greys GS, but they quit making them. Redington's RS4 combo with a rise feel is cheap and the rod is pretty decent. I think there's a 4wt version.

🎣

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I

jeff smisek posted:

When you're off probe, I need to upgrade my fly rod and need recommendations, pref under $300. 4 or 5wt, maybe 9ft? Maybe shorter. For small colorado mtn streams (trout obv)

I'm off probe for the minute

Our ideas of small streams are probably very different? A small stream in my head you can nearly straddle or wade across in two or three steps. My go to for fishing brookies was the Rapidan in the Shenandoah. There's a large section of it on state land. It's a tiny cascading freestone mountain stream with tons of overhanging brush. You just kind of hike up hitting the riffles and pools watching out for bears. On that stream I used a 6.5' 4wt, double tapered line and (hard to remember) 6 foot leader? It was a great setup to flick under the brush with a wooly bugger or a little foam beetle. Brookies are pretty naive. When I get home I'll find the case and get the brand. For limestone streams in the central PA region I used a whole different setup and usually fished nymphs. But those trout are super wary. Anyways thanks! I'll get more info later. 

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Fishing is for the patient or at least for those who can occupy their time right. Kinda like watching a baseball game, it's more fun with other people than alone.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Benny the Snake posted:

Fishing is for the patient or at least for those who can occupy their time right. Kinda like watching a baseball game, it's more fun with other people than alone.

As long as those other people don't scare the fish away.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

King of Bees posted:

I'm off probe for the minute

Our ideas of small streams are probably very different? A small stream in my head you can nearly straddle or wade across in two or three steps. My go to for fishing brookies was the Rapidan in the Shenandoah. There's a large section of it on state land. It's a tiny cascading freestone mountain stream with tons of overhanging brush. You just kind of hike up hitting the riffles and pools watching out for bears. On that stream I used a 6.5' 4wt, double tapered line and (hard to remember) 6 foot leader? It was a great setup to flick under the brush with a wooly bugger or a little foam beetle. Brookies are pretty naive. . 

My first native trout, caught in a tiny tiny little stream in northern MD. It's a pretty place to walk around but even my lightest rod seems far over powered for these little guys

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 21, 2016

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

bongwizzard posted:

My first native trout, caught in a tiny tiny little stream in northern MD. It's a pretty place to walk around but even my lightest rod seems far over powered for these little guys

Yep that's a small one. I always used tiny tiny barbless hooks on brooks, like #22s and super light tippets. Even with that I tried to spot a fish before catching. (I even had some #32s for tying micro nymphs for limestone creeks!)

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

What is this fish? A roach or rudd or something? Neither of those are native to the Southeast, but that's all I can come up with.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Hustlin Floh posted:

What is this fish? A roach or rudd or something? Neither of those are native to the Southeast, but that's all I can come up with.

Some kind of bream maybe?? :shrug:

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Is it brackish water?

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

King of Bees posted:

Yep that's a small one. I always used tiny tiny barbless hooks on brooks, like #22s and super light tippets. Even with that I tried to spot a fish before catching. (I even had some #32s for tying micro nymphs for limestone creeks!)

I hope this didn't come off as sounding like a dick! :) Afaik Brook trout are the only native American trout species east of the Rockies. I grew up catching them in Northern Michigan and they are beautiful fish.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
isnt it funny how we have a thousand reasons to want to get out of america before the empire falls and then i look at the selection of species of trees to work with, fish to catch, and there's almost no reason to move to europe at all

america....it's worth dyin for. we should all just get used to the government being terrible because there is no other place on earth with our type of freshwater sunfish variety.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Had to edit the kids out and other doxxing features but these are red drum we've been catching lately. Problem is this guy is 30" and keeping anything over 27" or under 18" is a massive fine. I seriously have not caught a single one within that safe number range. And apparently they are delicious

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

i have been cranking at work and out past month

this thread!

making me miss getting some rock cod

man i am getting the itch

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

King of Bees posted:

Had to edit the kids out and other doxxing features but these are red drum we've been catching lately. Problem is this guy is 30" and keeping anything over 27" or under 18" is a massive fine. I seriously have not caught a single one within that safe number range. And apparently they are delicious

Just cut 3 inches of the tail off...what's the problem?

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Solice Kirsk posted:

Just cut 3 inches of the tail off...what's the problem?

$500 and loss of license:(

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

King of Bees posted:

I hope this didn't come off as sounding like a dick! :) Afaik Brook trout are the only native American trout species east of the Rockies. I grew up catching them in Northern Michigan and they are beautiful fish.

Not at all, I am kinda amazed he was able to hit the lure, it was a more or less weightless fly-spinner I was trying to cast on a L action rod with like 6lb line, which is the lightest rig I had on me. I keep meaning to get a fly rod but it seems so impractical around here unless I am in my kayak.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

King of Bees posted:

$500 and loss of license:(

Oh yeah these guys will sit there with binos and watch who's catching fish and pull you over to measure.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

King of Bees posted:

Oh yeah these guys will sit there with binos and watch who's catching fish and pull you over to measure.

What if you just grill the thing up right there! There's gotta be a way for you to eat one of these delicious fish buddy!

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Solice Kirsk posted:

What if you just grill the thing up right there! There's gotta be a way for you to eat one of these delicious fish buddy!

ive seen kayaks with a fish drum in them and i always thought the coolest poo poo ever would be to fish in one of these, use the guts of the fish you fillet as catfish bait, and then cook and eat the fillets on your plastic hollow boat thing.

it would probably break several laws as freedom isn't free anymore, 1776, etc

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Solice Kirsk posted:

gotta have fish next year too buddy, and next decade. dont gently caress it up for everyone else

Good Work You Get An HIV
Feb 22, 2016

Fishing is the best when its with your friends.

The ultimate battle to catch the most and biggest is paired well when making GBS threads on the person with no catches or even bites.

Everyone has their bad days and boy do they feel lovely when the boys are ragging on ya. But the ultimate high comes from being the best that day and the poo poo train rolls over your buds.

Lupin
Feb 21, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Beautiful fish. Im jealous of the small stream fishing you get to do out there. I live in BC Canada, we've got great fishing up here, but I've got a Sage ll 3 weight that I can never put to good use (I don't like to play the fish for too long, mainly catch and release unless they're on the menu that night). If I lived I somewhere with small streams like you, I think I'd really get into Tenkara. In case you don't know, it's ultra light fly fishing with a long rod and no reel.

E:grew up salt-water fishing for salmon/cod etc. but over the last 5 years I've really fallen in love with fresh water fly-fishing. There's something therapeutic about fly-fishing ;it's a great hobby that's unfortunately pretty hard for a newbie to get into because it's dominated by elitist rich old dudes .

Lupin fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 21, 2016

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

King of Bees posted:

I've never fished for species that had a maximum length, is this fish close to being endangered or some such?

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
I don't even know how you would catch this thing.

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer

Jasjit Pabla posted:

Fishing is the best when its with your friends.

The ultimate battle to catch the most and biggest is paired well when making GBS threads on the person with no catches or even bites.

Everyone has their bad days and boy do they feel lovely when the boys are ragging on ya. But the ultimate high comes from being the best that day and the poo poo train rolls over your buds.

This is evil but definitely accurate. I go fluking every couple weeks during the season with the same three guys, we've been fishing together for years and the ball-busting that occurs on that boat is just brutal. Funny, but brutal. I'd never do it to someone I casually fish with, but among friends it's entertaining

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bob James posted:

Noodlin'

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bob James posted:

Rod and reel. And if it's like that cat fish I used to catch a HUGE piece of bread on the hook. It's like a fresh water shark.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Benny the Snake posted:

That depends on what kind of fishing you are doing. When you are lucky enough to be in the middle of a school of fish in a feeding frenzy things get a little more exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer

crabcakes66 posted:

That depends on what kind of fishing you are doing. When you are lucky enough to be in the middle of a school of fish in a feeding frenzy things get a little more exciting.

What's going on here in terms of species? Just curious because I've seen bluefish come up on bunker schools so hard it looks like a depth charge when they pop up all at once. This looks similar.

• Locked thread