Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Got this game last night after having been recommended it and watching a few videos on it, been playing it a bit today. It's pretty fun, though I'm not good at it yet despite reading the thread and stuff for advice (though I'm getting better; I've had some pretty good escapes, in contrast to my first game where I was hiding, killer ran up, and I panicked and ran... Right into him, whereupon he turned around because he actually didn't see me and was running past prior to my idiocy). Have only played as survivor thus far, haven't tried a killer yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Roland Jones posted:

Got this game last night after having been recommended it and watching a few videos on it, been playing it a bit today. It's pretty fun, though I'm not good at it yet despite reading the thread and stuff for advice (though I'm getting better; I've had some pretty good escapes, in contrast to my first game where I was hiding, killer ran up, and I panicked and ran... Right into him, whereupon he turned around because he actually didn't see me and was running past prior to my idiocy). Have only played as survivor thus far, haven't tried a killer yet.

Killer is great for understanding how they see things. Also why you start to understand running is bad unless you can seriously sidetrack the fucker.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I've got jake high enough to sabotage hooks now and loving up the killers day is so good (and rewarding, pointswise)

last game we had 3 jakes and a dwight with a toolbox and just went bananas on hooks, was pretty fun

mr wraith even ended up with 9k points despite not sacrificing anyone, buncha people got saving private ryan points, good times all around

also holy poo poo the music gets INTENSE when you are running out of HP in the dying state

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Deer stalker is useful when survivors are literally all rushing to unhook people. Just keep slashing at them and put them down, deer stalker is so you can find them all afterwards to made it permanent.

Also running into rank smurfs where they are lvl 1 rank 20 and they all have heal and sabotage.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Jesus, some of the survivor perks are straight up broken. The level three "Self Care" perk lets you heal without items at 80% of normal speed and doubles healing item self-heal rate. How do I know this is broken?

Because I smack a pubbie. She climbs through the window and heals back to full health before I can wipe off my blade and crawl through after her. She can do this an infinite number of times, as long as she doesn't leave her window.

Now I know why there are some Rank 1 players on here, it's because they poopsocked their way to hell and back to get the broken perks and can just run rampant with them.

(And yes, it was a twitch streamer. No, it wasn't a popular one)

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
I got admiral bahroo once but it was literally the game before he discovered self-care. He got bodyblocked by teammates, then as he was cheesing the three-window room in the ironworks I faked him out and got him. Plus there was a trap there so in that case I think I probably would've gotten him even at full health, but that was a once in a lifetime stars-aligned kind of thing. I think if I saw him again I'd probably drop the lobby. It is not fun to play against people like that.

Also with the right add-ons self-care doesn't even need a window, you can heal faster than the killer's attack even with rank 3 unrelenting.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grognan posted:

Killer is great for understanding how they see things. Also why you start to understand running is bad unless you can seriously sidetrack the fucker.

Well, I just had an interesting survivor game, on this topic. Survivor on the field, and killer was the hillbilly. Early on he managed to see me, but I twisted and turned through the trees as much as possible then serpentined and doubled back through the cornfield and lost him, because he was trying to overutilize his chainsaw.

Later, he got the last survivor who wasn't me, and I happened to be close enough to see him put him on the hook as I was looking for an area I thought the hatch might be since we hadn't opened the exits. I tried to hide, but it turned out he saw me. My attempt to flee resulted in me finding a worse hiding spot than I thought and he knocked me down.... And then didn't pick me up, instead just following me around as I crawled. I stopped for a moment in some grass, hoping he'd dumbly lose sight of me, but he didn't. So I went back to crawling, and... I found the hatch. And despite being right on top of me, he didn't stop me. Agonizing and Backdoor escape achievements in one go.

I don't know if the killer knew the hatch was there and was being nice, didn't know about the hatch at all and was just screwing with me, or hosed up and failed to stop me getting out via the hatch (he swung while I jumped down into it but since I was downed already it did nothing). Still, I'm glad it happened.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Roland Jones posted:

Well, I just had an interesting survivor game, on this topic. Survivor on the field, and killer was the hillbilly. Early on he managed to see me, but I twisted and turned through the trees as much as possible then serpentined and doubled back through the cornfield and lost him, because he was trying to overutilize his chainsaw.

Later, he got the last survivor who wasn't me, and I happened to be close enough to see him put him on the hook as I was looking for an area I thought the hatch might be since we hadn't opened the exits. I tried to hide, but it turned out he saw me. My attempt to flee resulted in me finding a worse hiding spot than I thought and he knocked me down.... And then didn't pick me up, instead just following me around as I crawled. I stopped for a moment in some grass, hoping he'd dumbly lose sight of me, but he didn't. So I went back to crawling, and... I found the hatch. And despite being right on top of me, he didn't stop me. Agonizing and Backdoor escape achievements in one go.

I don't know if the killer knew the hatch was there and was being nice, didn't know about the hatch at all and was just screwing with me, or hosed up and failed to stop me getting out via the hatch (he swung while I jumped down into it but since I was downed already it did nothing). Still, I'm glad it happened.

I think he was being nice, the last survivor disappearing as soon as the third survivor is sacrificed is pretty much standard. People memorize the hatch locations.

Edit: Why would a survivor ever want to brighten the moon or lessen the mist with offerings?

Grognan fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 21, 2016

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
He probably knew. I've let people hatch a couple times when they make me laugh, like the guy who stayed alive for like ten minutes as the last survivor and I never even saw him. When I finally got a glimpse of him and knocked him down I let him hatch.

I usually let people hatch if they get the can't-pick-up bug as well, since bleedouts are only 50 points and it's a long time to wait for both of us.

Cornfield jukes are the best jukes. Rotten FIelds is probably my favorite map as survivor just for the sheer terror factor of being out in that sea of corn with no cover for a hundred yards and having no idea where the killer might be.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alright. I need to memorize hatch locations myself; I've only seen it a couple times prior to this (outside of videos I watched) and this is the first time I got out through it, hence the achievement. Practical knowledge and ability is one of my weaker areas in this; I know some of the important ideas but depending on the situation can't always put them into practice.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Roland Jones posted:

Alright. I need to memorize hatch locations myself; I've only seen it a couple times prior to this (outside of videos I watched) and this is the first time I got out through it, hence the achievement. Practical knowledge and ability is one of my weaker areas in this; I know some of the important ideas but depending on the situation can't always put them into practice.

They are usually somewhere around the murder basement basically.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Speaking of which, why does the hatch open when the gates are open? Why does the guy cheesing me around the long cabin get to escape for free because the hatch is right next to a window he's been juking in and out of forever?

And in the same line of questioning, because it's relevant, why is there a perk that specifically fucks the trapper over?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Bup posted:

Speaking of which, why does the hatch open when the gates are open? Why does the guy cheesing me around the long cabin get to escape for free because the hatch is right next to a window he's been juking in and out of forever?

And in the same line of questioning, because it's relevant, why is there a perk that specifically fucks the trapper over?

Its a generator thing. They have to get a minimum for the hatch to spawn. last person alive has the hatch unlocked. ergo, if they got more than 2-3 gens the hatch will be there and unlocked for the last person alive.

'cause trapper was in beta and they had a chance to mull over his poo poo. Traps are fuckin' nice when survivors blunder into them

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I've never seen a game that punishes altruism as hard as this one. Almost all killers camp their hooks anymore so trying to get a guy off is just a mess. -Especially- if he has the "heartbeat stops when standing still" perk. And being a distractions is pointless if you get caught in the end because nine times out of ten your team mates will just say "lol cya" and leave you to bleed out. You ungrateful fucks :smith:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I've never seen a game that punishes altruism as hard as this one. Almost all killers camp their hooks anymore so trying to get a guy off is just a mess. -Especially- if he has the "heartbeat stops when standing still" perk.

I guess that's why my teammates never even try to save me, despite the fact that I've been distracting the killer for them for ages :smith:

expect at least a hit on you and you had better have had an escape plan. unhooking is such a lure that I mostly expect to come back in five seconds and get another down/hit.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Bup posted:

The hatch opens when there are no other survivors left on the map (though I think it might also need two generators at least to be on as well; I've seen it not open times when my team only got one or no generators). If you've killed all the other survivors, it opens. If there's only one survivor left because the others escaped, it opens. I don't think it opens when the gates are open if there's more than one person still around though.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Grognan posted:

expect at least a hit on you and you had better have had an escape plan. unhooking is such a lure that I mostly expect to come back in five seconds and get another down/hit.

Believe me, I play enough killer to know that it's coming. But it's such a massive risk for a moderate reward that it's far better to just let the person eat it and sorry for your bad luck.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, if the killer is camping, just don't bother. Do other stuff. If they're camping then they're not stopping you from being productive elsewhere. Sometimes they don't camp though, which is nice.

Edit: I wish more people knew not to try to pull yourself off the hook though. Outside of extremely narrow conditions (killer not camping but you're likely not going to be rescued anyway), you probably want to draw your death out as long as possible, either to increase your chances of getting rescued or to make the killer waste their time watching you die. Either's good. You are almost definitely not getting yourself off that hook, so don't make things easier for the bastard who put you there.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 21, 2016

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
I don't knokw what game you guys are playing but in the game I"m playing, Dead by Daylight, people will chase after you when you're carrying somebody and pull him off the hook during the hooking animation

If you're having trouble loving with the hooks you haven't figured out the shenanigans is all I have to say.

Also, more disconnects, more deranks. But it's definitely just a fluke and not something people do consistently. Two in this game.

One in the next game. Let's see how good a streak I can rack up.

Mister Bup fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 21, 2016

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I am so, so bad at repairing the generators. Like, I can't do the skill check even with concentration. Something about it just makes my brain refuse to respond in time. I'm not sure why. What else can I do to be helpful? Shadow other surivivors and help?

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Do you know about the little musical sting that plays right before the skill check happens? It gives you a good half second to prepare for the QTE.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

yergacheffe posted:

Do you know about the little musical sting that plays right before the skill check happens? It gives you a good half second to prepare for the QTE.

I did not! But I'm getting it now.

It's kind of funny. After giving a killer a hard time with a long chase, he stands there in front of me cloaking/decloaking and meleeing me while I'm on the hook like he thinks he's taunting me, but I'm watching the other survivors turn on generators while the idiot wastes his time.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
FYI the killer can bodyblock the hitbox for the hatch (while cloaked) as well. I discovered this while being the last person alive and also wounded against a wraith so it was impossible to actually run away and do generators instead.

Died my fair death but it was a visit from Dr. Feels Badman.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

When I'm playing killer in a game of low ranks I make a point to not camp hooks unless like the doors are open and the rest are escaping already or a particular person has proven themselves troublesome. If they spend time sneaking around getting people off hooks and healing etc they aren't doing generators, I can knock them down again, everybody gets more points, and it's more in the spirit of the game. Been playing mostly survivor though but I do want to level up wraith I think - trapper is pretty good with minimal investment, but from what I've seen on streams wraith seems pretty weak until they get the good vision + tracking perks. Couldn't care less about chainsawman, seems like a pain in the rear end.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Chainsawmans has the highest skill cap of the killers since there's so much nuance to using the chainsaw effectively. If it weren't for jukelooping making traps so powerful I think he'd probably be the strongest killer when played optimally, especially if it gets a buff to its hitbox.

Also the standing in front of you cloaking and uncloaking is something wraiths do to farm points, it mitigates camping a little bit just cause you get more points.

I only camp if the survivor's a total pain in the rear end and I can't afford to let him get away, or if I know somebody's nearby. I'll also camp if there's only one or two left and the exits are open. Fable of the Lion and all.

Also Rank 12 killer. I'm on my way. Scratch that, this game's loving bullshit.

I also wonder if it was intentional that the attack cooldown means people can fake you out to get free hatch escapes by getting you to hit them before they activate the hatch. Same thing with the exit gates, you cannot get someone in the exit without chainsaw or No One Escapes Alive because they can run out before you get them.

Mister Bup fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 21, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well that was fun. Generators were activated and I went for one of the gates, but the killer was camping it and smacked me. I escaped, and rather than pursue me he went back to cloaking in front of the box. Then a different survivor escaped; after watching to make sure the killer wasn't leaving and was determined to stay where he was, I just turned and looked for the other exit, easily getting away. Sadly for some reason I couldn't spectate to make sure the third person (we had one casualty already) also got away, but I hope so. That killer just standing there as everyone walks out the other door is a thought that amuses me.

Unrelated, since I am still new-ish I only have three perks currently: Rank two Resilience (do tasks faster while injured) and the base versions of Plunderer's Instinct (see chests) and Hope (run a tiny bit faster when the gates are powered). While Hope sounds potentially useful at a higher rank, the one of these that feels the best so far is actually Plunderer's Instinct, despite it being common to the rare and uncommon of the other two. Not only do I find chests that would be easy to miss otherwise a lot and get nice things (heck, in that last game I survived to the end because I was able to patch myself up with a medkit I found, since I got hit once before the moment above occurred), but it also almost always tells me where the basement is since I'll see the glowing chest underground without having to even enter the building. I then get to decide on whether I want to loot said chest, or just mentally mark this as an area to avoid because getting hooked in the basement is usually a death sentence.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Grognan posted:

I think he was being nice, the last survivor disappearing as soon as the third survivor is sacrificed is pretty much standard. People memorize the hatch locations.

Edit: Why would a survivor ever want to brighten the moon or lessen the mist with offerings?

I don't know if those offerings carry over to the killer, but as a killer player I get the same items and I can see the advantage there. Though since I play trapper I tend to lean towards making the fog thicker to go with my tarred traps. :getin:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, this won't be relevant to me for a while, but this was bothering me after reading the wiki: How does prestige interact with teachable perks? If you get a teachable perk on a character, then prestige them, do the other characters lose the ability to learn that perk or does it remain for them despite the prestige taking away everything else the first character unlocked?

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
All the moon/fog offerings are for both sides.

Also I'm at four games in a row with people disconnecting and causing me to derank. One more and I'll be rank 14 and I'll also be done with this game until this poo poo is fixed.

Edit: I'm out. gently caress this bullshit. Call me when they get back from their con circuit and decide to finish making their game.

Mister Bup fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jun 21, 2016

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Nebiros posted:

I don't know if those offerings carry over to the killer, but as a killer player I get the same items and I can see the advantage there. Though since I play trapper I tend to lean towards making the fog thicker to go with my tarred traps. :getin:

Fog and moonlight mods seem equally useful and harmful to everyone. Survivors need to find each other for team ups and spot the killer just as he needs to see them. I think of them more as modifiers that break the monotony of repeating the same maps.

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005

Roland Jones posted:

A little late on this but yeah, that's a bug. After downing you he couldn't pick you up, it's happened to me a few times and yes it's excruciating when the last guy is just crawling around. The last time this happened the guy bled out 5 feet from the open exit.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jimb posted:

A little late on this but yeah, that's a bug. After downing you he couldn't pick you up, it's happened to me a few times and yes it's excruciating when the last guy is just crawling around. The last time this happened the guy bled out 5 feet from the open exit.

In that case it's really lucky I found the hatch so fast, then. It'd have sucked for us both if I hadn't happened to be that close to it or if I had gone the wrong way.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Just ranked down in a game where 10 seconds in someone dc'd. Then another 30 seconds a second person dc'd, than I caught someone who ragequit(did it in a way where they still lost rank atleast) in my arms, than the final survivor dc'd. All in a span of maybe 2 minutes.

Fair enough, I should have played better I guess.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jun 21, 2016

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I think it would do a lot to improve player attitudes if they removed the idea of pips/losing pips and made rank just a number to indicate how much you had played like Overwatch. It wouldn't be popular but it could improve behavior a lot.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I have the hillbilly killer to level 5 now and I'm having a good time with it. I can't figure out which traits I should get (I have iron grip and deer stalker) but chainsawing nerds is good fun.

It's hard though. I'm tempted to play trapper instead since good trap placement can really help you out.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I just can't believe you don't even get sacrifice points if someone disconnects while on a hook, like what the gently caress. I'm trying to not care about killer rank, but all the points you lose still has a significant negative impact on you because you level up so much slower. Even when I want to grind up killer, why would I ever play killer when I am getting 12 000+ points in 95% of my survivor games. Better off just playing more Meg and spending the points on trapper.

Carecat posted:

I think it would do a lot to improve player attitudes if they removed the idea of pips/losing pips and made rank just a number to indicate how much you had played like Overwatch. It wouldn't be popular but it could improve behavior a lot.

If it had been that way from the beginning it would have been fine, but at this point that just reads like they gave up on making it work.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 21, 2016

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
So it turns out a Wraith spamming cloak makes it really hard to hear the skill check audio cue.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

Carecat posted:

This is basically character level. They should relate it to average points per match instead, with ranks being based on what global percentile you fall into. You could also show the tendency of the player, if they're team workers or juking bastards

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Dear survivors: If someone fucks up a skill check (Me), do not stick around the generator and keep repairing it.

I get that the game isn't well documented, but sheesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

There's a few ways to nerf the worst offenders against the killer. Make the self heal perk only work once in a match, give the survivor a fatigue status if he run vaults a window so he has to go over the next one slowly until he recovers.

Chainsaw killer could also be maybe just a little bit more controllable and perhaps you should start the game with a good baseline of perks and not have to wait until level loving 15 for the next slot when the last two are at 5 level increments.

• Locked thread