Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Why isn't there a torture and murder Franco cutscene when you win the civil war as Republican Spain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Probably the same reason there's no Holocaust events.

This is a war simulator, not a war is hell simulator.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

In HoI4, Hitler can conquer the world and use his power to bring Charlie Chaplin to Berlin.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

THE PWNER posted:

Why isn't there a torture and murder Franco cutscene when you win the civil war as Republican Spain?

That's more of a Command and Conquer thing...

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Bloody Pom posted:

Probably the same reason there's no Holocaust events.

This is a war simulator, not a war is hell simulator.

That's heaven though.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I really hope the Fascist/Democratic/Communist split is moddable. Kaiserreich just won't be the same without all the various smaller ideologies bickering amongst themselves.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Vengarr posted:

Carriers are underpowered compared to reality because there is no way to tell them not to sail into gunrange.

Wait, maybe setting them to search and destroy and setting them to Avoid Combat will work? I haven't tried that yet. Or just moving them into a sea zone, setting the carrier planes to air superiority/naval attack in that air zone?

Wouldn't work how you wanted; a carrier mission means the planes show up in the battle and do their thing. Search and destroy is for battles.

Carriers largely stay as far back as possible, but they might get chased down by faster opposing ships if all their friends sink. Planes might not take off due to weather, too.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyQmhrVKsc0

Some guy decided to see what the real life infantry divisions would look like in HoI 4. While it's not exactly the optimal 20-width division, some of them look viable at a glance.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

THE PWNER posted:

I can't contribute to this, but I can relate to you the story of the time I visited the Valley of the Fallen and watched a little girl skip right across José Antonio's grave. I smiled a bit. On the inside.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I hope aggressive solves the problem where the AI wants to proactively move units into provinces where other units are moving out of, even if that province will be behind the front line once that move is complete. That's one of the biggest stumbling blocks contributing to the AI's lack of aggressiveness, from what I can tell. It just seems completely unable to tell when it's okay to not guard a province.

Also if they're already moving they won't stop mid-move to reassess where they're going. So if the frontline moves halfway through their unnecessary shuffling into some Siberian shithole province you then get to watch them take a month to enter that area, eat a bunch of attrition and then spend another month trying to leave, by which time the frontline has moved again.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

Certain provinces in your enemy's territory are worth victory points, mainly capitals but some have little dots that are worth 1 or 2 points. You need to control a percentage of your opponent's victory points higher than their national unity percentage. Once you do they'll capitulate pretty quickly.

THE states not "states"

Vengarr posted:

Troops on the White House lawn.

Even nuking them 100 times won't do it, you need boots on the ground.

exactly what i didn't want to hear :(

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

So I solved one issue I was having- my garrison troops in training never getting equipment. Just in case anyone else has missed this, it may help?

I set my garrison divisions to low priority at the start of the game. I don't want them grabbing premium equipment, right?

Oh- there's a big ol' Division Equipment button too?

My problem was that even though they were last in the priority queue, the game would still wait in line to get new equipment. I guess unchecking that box probably would have solved my problem. Limiting them to tier 1 weapons also would have worked, since by ~1940 I had +10k in old stockpiled guns...

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

texasmed posted:

If that was the case then why do the nodes stay at the same output? I already covered that in the part of the post you didn't quote.

so a 5-oil node doesn't have to be listed as producing '5.5 oil' (the game doesn't have a concept of fractional resource units!) but is still affected by a 10% resource production boost, probably. adding everything together before multiplying simplifies things a lot!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is there a way to get the Trotskyists in power in this game?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is there a way to get the Trotskyists in power in this game?

Wait until 1939, take the Great Purge Focus, and then choose not to purge anyone.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Thanks, I'll try that!

Also, the Spanish Civil War is pretty easy for the Republicans when someone sends five tank divisions to help them

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Arrhythmia posted:

exactly what i didn't want to hear :(

Right?

I trapped the American invasion of Sicily and destroyed about 60 divisions, I feel like that would cause the US to consider leaving the war.

I think the peace conference system would be optimal for a peace without capitulation possibility.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I'm also working on some answers to my question of "how do I predict how many divisions I need to garrison an area?"

So according to the wiki, a state's base resistance score is .1% for each victory point in the state. So a key state like Paris is going to have ~5%...smaller states maybe 3%...and real outliers 1% or less. This percent is boosted by resistance in neighboring states, but lets say for the moment we're nipping resistance in the bud early and not having to worry too much about this.

Next up is the occupation policy modifier. In my world, Taylor Swift is a just and fair Fuhrer, so I went with the most gentle policies giving a 60% penalty to the resistance growth. Others may be more cruel...so lets for rule of thumb sake go with a 30% average. So 5%/3%/1% from above becomes 3.5%, 2.1%, .7%.

So now we consider what it takes to suppress those values. Each battalion of cavalry provides .2% suppression. and a MP support unit provides a 20% bonus to the division's suppression (scales up over time but who wants to sink more research in to MPs??). So a bog standard garrison division of 4 cavalry battalions and an MP is (.8% * 1.2)= .96% suppression. For the sake of nice round numbers, it looks like it's maybe a little better to buff up your garrisons a bit to 5 cavalry and an MP, giving you a nice 1.2% suppression per division. At 1.2%, 3 divisions garrisons Paris well, 2 garrison Calais/Dunkirk, and 1 garrisons a shithole state in the middle of nowhere.

So now you could go through and rank each state in a target country in one of those three levels of need...but that still feels like too much work in Slime Bro's world of being dumb. So you can probably shorthand it to counting the number of states in that nation (or in the case of something like France the number of states you will actually occupy).

• Benelux- 6 states
  • France (not including Vichy)- 12
  • UK- 16
  • Denmark- 2
  • Sweden- 7
  • Norway- 4
  • Russia- please god no

Since victory points are kind of a game mechanic and not some model or reality, you can kind of set some assumptions about a nation- only a few states will have big VP scores, a handful more will have a middling number, and then a bunch more will have none or nearly none. This is maybe skewed a bit for small populace places like Benelux or Northern France, but it mostly works. Larger nations probably have more 'empty' states, so their multiplier should be lower. But maybe 10% of the states will need 3 divisions, 30% will need 2, and the rest will need 1. So the rule of thumb becomes

Garrison Divisions needed = Number of Occupied States * 1.5

• Benelux- 9
  • France (not including Vichy)- 18
  • UK- 24
  • Denmark- 3
  • Sweden- 10.5
  • Norway- 6
  • Russia- please god no

Thoughts? Again there's probably a lot of work you could do to optimize this, but if you're trying a non-ironman, non insane difficulty run to try and figure things out, this might be a good starting point to managing your occupied territories.

edit- considering pleasing fungus' comment below, I should note this is a formula not to keep resistance at 0% so much as a formula to keep resistance growth at 0%. So you probably need to sink a lot more troops in to the first few months of occupation to bring resistance down after the invasion...and then this is long term what you need to maintain peace.

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 21, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
my experience was that that was way low for france - even without vichy, i was having continuous resistance problems even with an occupation force more twice that size. admittedly i was on 'harsh' occupation, but it doesn't seem like that should more than double the occupation requirements?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

my experience was that that was way low for france - even without vichy, i was having continuous resistance problems even with an occupation force more twice that size. admittedly i was on 'harsh' occupation, but it doesn't seem like that should more than double the occupation requirements?

Well, it's very possible I am bad at math!

But one thing that could also affect it- looking at the UK right after they surrendered, all of their resistance scores were super high- like 40%-50% per state. I suspect once a nation gives up, they start with a huge score. My numbers are about how to keep resistance growth at 0%. If they're already at 10% or 20%, then you need to sink a bunch of divisions in to making that growth negative, bring it down to 0%, and then my number of divisions can garrison it long term. Otherwise not only do you never get a negative growth, that 'resistance in neighboring states" modifier comes in to play, keeping everyone's resistance very high.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
that seems plausible! it might also be useful to micro it a bit and move in from the edges when pacifying occupation initially?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Hah. The fascist name of West Germany is "The Fourth Reich."

Also, a neutral East Germany (not sure how that could ever happen, but) is called the Kingdom of Prussia.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Also, a neutral East Germany (not sure how that could ever happen, but) is called the Kingdom of Prussia.

There is a National Focus in the generic tree that provides a daily decrease in Democratic support. Maybe if you went full Democratic, then stripped off all of your democratic support bonuses and took that focus, it'd bleed into Neutral? That's the only way I can think of to increase neutral support.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Is... is that a reference to East vs West?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Bloody Pom posted:

I really hope the Fascist/Democratic/Communist split is moddable. Kaiserreich just won't be the same without all the various smaller ideologies bickering amongst themselves.

This is from their OP in the modding forum

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/mod-kaiserreich.942457/

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

that seems plausible! it might also be useful to micro it a bit and move in from the edges when pacifying occupation initially?

That could be helpful for really problematic areas- I imagine I'd do it with the UK, slowly pushing north while I pacify the productive areas I care about in/around London.

Also, luckily even your non garrison forces provide suppression. Like, your typical infantry division (10 units of infantry) is going to provide you with 1% suppression without any special effort. So part of the strategy should probably be to (1) overbuild your garrisons early so you have a chance to use them to help quickly pacify your first conquests and (2) leave a part of your invading army behind to also help pacify, while the rest moves on/over to your next front.

So if I'm saying long term you want 18 divisions to garrison France and Benelux, they early on you probably want 35-40 available to put down the initial resistance. Luckily if you're Germany you probably have +100 infantry divisions at that point, and maybe a dozen panzer divisions and a handful of mountain or other odds/ends. So granted you can't wheel your entire army over to Russia immediately , but you can likely move over half of it there to get ready, and even when you have it down to just that need for 18 garrison divisions, you're still going to want to leave a handful of frontline forces in France just to make sure GB/America doesn't get any funny ideas about invading.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

Is... is that a reference to East vs West?

Is what a reference to East vs West?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Man, this Germany game I have going has been super easy mode. Poland suddenly attacked Estonia, had The UK declare war on them, allowing me to invade them without reprisal. Then I took down the Soviet Union when they were dealing with a civil war. I have like 300 factories right now and it's only 1940. Something tells me that France isn't going to stand much of a chance.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

cock hero flux posted:

There is a National Focus in the generic tree that provides a daily decrease in Democratic support. Maybe if you went full Democratic, then stripped off all of your democratic support bonuses and took that focus, it'd bleed into Neutral? That's the only way I can think of to increase neutral support.
Even if you did, though, there's no such thing as a neutral coup or referendum. I'm pretty sure you'd just stay with democratic government.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Neutral E Germany being called "Kingdom of Prussia". IIRC one of the fake ministers submitted to the EvW contest was an army officer who took over East Germany and revived Prussia.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Also I found this a little funny while I was grabbing screenshots for my other posts:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The reach of El Presidente is long indeed.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
So Poland talk, I went from being fascist and having befriend the axis "Danzig or War". Not a problem, I held back the Germans and eventually occupied Germany and Hungary. Now I have the problem where Austria who refused the Anschluss and is guaranteed by France/England and Jugoslavia, guaranteed by the same wont give me access so I can go occupy Italy who joined the Axis a couple of days before Munich fell.

Looks like I have to gently caress up France and England (both have given me volunteers btw) just to end my war against the Axis.

That whole befriend tree for Poland is dumb as hell to begin with, it's the easiest way to go fascist/commie but the axis/comintern hate you anyway and you're permanently blocked from making your own faction.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Tahirovic posted:

So Poland talk, I went from being fascist and having befriend the axis "Danzig or War". Not a problem, I held back the Germans and eventually occupied Germany and Hungary. Now I have the problem where Austria who refused the Anschluss and is guaranteed by France/England and Jugoslavia, guaranteed by the same wont give me access so I can go occupy Italy who joined the Axis a couple of days before Munich fell.

Looks like I have to gently caress up France and England (both have given me volunteers btw) just to end my war against the Axis.

That whole befriend tree for Poland is dumb as hell to begin with, it's the easiest way to go fascist/commie but the axis/comintern hate you anyway and you're permanently blocked from making your own faction.

How did Austria refusing Anschluss not result in Germany DoW'ing them, and France/England sitting out or jumping in against the Axis?

Not saying the Polish befriend tree isn't dumb- I haven't looked much at it- but seems like you're more hitting a bad confluence of 2 ahistorical things that might have been hard to predict and plan for.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

:flashfap:

Between this and Stellaris, I'm glad that Paradox has finally learned that hindering modders, intentionally or otherwise, is bad

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Funky Valentine posted:

The reach of El Presidente is long indeed.

Man, now I really want a mod that makes every ruler of Central and South America into El Presidente.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Dirk the Average posted:

Man, now I really want a mod that makes every ruler of Central and South America into El Presidente.
And an El Presidente with a cowboy hat for the US and one with a touque for Canada, making it the El Presidente Hemisphere Mod.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I'm not sure how much this works.

If you're still at war with the faction they were a member of, I don't think you have any options to release them or set up a puppet government- you have to occupy them. I ended up (as Germany) at war with Sweden in the Allies, but they flipped to Fascism like a month after they joined the war for some reason. Sadly there was no way to ask them to stop so I could use my armies for things I cared about, and after I finished the invasion I still had plenty of Allies members to go through- and the only occupation management options I had for Sweden was how gentle/harsh I wanted to be with them. I think not being able to release them is a round-about way of forcing you to deal with occupation and resistance, which I guess isn't a completely bad thing...

On the other hand, after the peace conference I'm still not sure you can release them? In the same game as above, I had finished of Russia and her communist allies before turning back to deal with England and company. At the peace conference I had the option to create a puppet Russian state...which for whatever reason gives them some really weird states- like as the first person at the table, puppeting gave them Moscow and a bunch of states around Moscow, and then a big chunk of the Pacific seaboard, and that was it- nothing in between. After setting up the puppet though, I didn't have the option in the peace conference to feed more states in to that puppeted country. So I took a bunch of Siberia and whatnot for myself- I figured "oh I'll give them those states after the conference and make puppet Russia look a little less silly". But after the conference, all of Russia's core tags were removed from those provinces I took- the game treated Siberia as a place that naturally belonged to the Reich. Also, even if I did have the option to return it then, it would probably work like giving Austria back territories- all or nothing.

I feel like what people really need is something like the "ask for state" and 'give control of state" options that you get with allies while at war. You can hand over conquered territory very easy and intuitively , and as opposed to trying to fix your map through console commands, it doesn't seem to cause a bunch of game crashes every time you do it.

edit- like here's my options window for the German game:

Unless there's another window I'm missing, setting up a puppet government isn't really a thing.

That Hitler doesn't seem right...

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I'm not sure how much this works.

If you're still at war with the faction they were a member of, I don't think you have any options to release them or set up a puppet government- you have to occupy them. I ended up (as Germany) at war with Sweden in the Allies, but they flipped to Fascism like a month after they joined the war for some reason. Sadly there was no way to ask them to stop so I could use my armies for things I cared about, and after I finished the invasion I still had plenty of Allies members to go through- and the only occupation management options I had for Sweden was how gentle/harsh I wanted to be with them. I think not being able to release them is a round-about way of forcing you to deal with occupation and resistance, which I guess isn't a completely bad thing...

On the other hand, after the peace conference I'm still not sure you can release them? In the same game as above, I had finished of Russia and her communist allies before turning back to deal with England and company. At the peace conference I had the option to create a puppet Russian state...which for whatever reason gives them some really weird states- like as the first person at the table, puppeting gave them Moscow and a bunch of states around Moscow, and then a big chunk of the Pacific seaboard, and that was it- nothing in between. After setting up the puppet though, I didn't have the option in the peace conference to feed more states in to that puppeted country. So I took a bunch of Siberia and whatnot for myself- I figured "oh I'll give them those states after the conference and make puppet Russia look a little less silly". But after the conference, all of Russia's core tags were removed from those provinces I took- the game treated Siberia as a place that naturally belonged to the Reich. Also, even if I did have the option to return it then, it would probably work like giving Austria back territories- all or nothing.

I feel like what people really need is something like the "ask for state" and 'give control of state" options that you get with allies while at war. You can hand over conquered territory very easy and intuitively , and as opposed to trying to fix your map through console commands, it doesn't seem to cause a bunch of game crashes every time you do it.

edit- like here's my options window for the German game:

Unless there's another window I'm missing, setting up a puppet government isn't really a thing.

Why...why do you have Taylor Swift as your head of state?

Also I wish there was some way to get Italy to leave me alone as Ethiopia. I kicked you out of East Africa, dude! Stop throwing naval invasions at me. Maybe an event? Being able to get cores/colonise the bits of Somaliland I took would also be nice. Well, I'm part of the Allies now, so fingers crossed that I can take them in the peace deal. I've been trying to sponsor democracy so Il Duce gets overthrown, maybe that'll help.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Star posted:

That Hitler doesn't seem right...

Yvonmukluk posted:

Why...why do you have Taylor Swift as your head of state?

Also I wish there was some way to get Italy to leave me alone as Ethiopia. I kicked you out of East Africa, dude! Stop throwing naval invasions at me!

Sorry, I have the German version of the game :(