Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Shoehead posted:

Re-reading this thread got me to try Morroblivion.

morroblivion is my favorite video game downgrade

it's comparable to getting doom to run on a calculator, except with a worse UI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Agents are GO! posted:

Both fixable with mods - DarnUI and OCO2.

I nabbed OCO but I forgot all about Darn. I'm totally spoiled by the loot all and shortcut buttons they added in Fallout 3

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Just out of curiosity, has anyone played Tamriel Rebuilt lately? I remembered I used to troll it endlessly a decade ago, but they're still going, and the map they have done right now is enormous. I'm actually impressed by it, now. How fleshed out is it? Quests, dungeons, interiors, etc.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
It's pretty good, lots of quests, dungeons (Kemel-Ze is probably the single largest dungeon in any TES game not named Daggerfall), all cities have interiors, etc. It's basically currently an unofficial expansion pack to the existing world and worth every byte of download time.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Sky Shadowing posted:

It's pretty good, lots of quests, dungeons (Kemel-Ze is probably the single largest dungeon in any TES game not named Daggerfall), all cities have interiors, etc. It's basically currently an unofficial expansion pack to the existing world and worth every byte of download time.

That's incredibly impressive. I'm going to play it, eventually. Is there a way to tell which areas are fleshed out, and which just have the terrain done?

Also, do you have any idea if there a mod for Morrowind that makes Daedric equipment harder to get? In my opinion, it appeared way too early on the leveled lists, and there were some pieces you could get it way too easily. Like the Daedric Dai-katana on the Dren Plantation.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Node posted:

That's incredibly impressive. I'm going to play it, eventually. Is there a way to tell which areas are fleshed out, and which just have the terrain done?

Also, do you have any idea if there a mod for Morrowind that makes Daedric equipment harder to get? In my opinion, it appeared way too early on the leveled lists, and there were some pieces you could get it way too easily. Like the Daedric Dai-katana on the Dren Plantation.

There are two main esps, tr_main which is done, and tr_preview which isn't. There are a few areas in preview that are done but they're directly adjacent to not done areas. Two fairly significant areas are pretty close to being done in a month so that seems neat

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Mortimer posted:

There are two main esps, tr_main which is done, and tr_preview which isn't. There are a few areas in preview that are done but they're directly adjacent to not done areas. Two fairly significant areas are pretty close to being done in a month so that seems neat

Is this on their forums? I browsed it a little but couldn't find this information

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Node posted:

Is this on their forums? I browsed it a little but couldn't find this information

? which info
http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/42145/

"The latest version of Tamriel Rebuilt. Includes both the main release as well as the optional TR_Preview file (formerly TR_Alpha) and the TR_Travels plugin."

TR_Travels adds boat paths to TR areas and is pretty neat if you want that kind of thing.

the two areas thing is a guy saying "I'm going to rework almas thirr and have it done in a few weeks". I honestly thought it was done a few years ago but I loaded up TR without Preview and sure enough it wasn't there. Old Ebonheart is probably further off but will be the bottleneck to releasing Almas Thirr. It's done except for the castle pretty much. The second it goes up for quest claims I'm going to mash words on my keyboard until quests come out and it can be released.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Have they redone all of Vvardenfell yet?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
That sounds pretty cool, but so far every single piece of modded additional areas/quests in a Fallout/Elder Scrolls game have been extremely lovely. Even the ones everyone says are good (looking at you, every single quest mod for Fallout New Vegas). I'm fine with mods altering existing things or switching up scripts and gameplay, but once they add new worldspaces it just enters whole new level of bad. Obsidian are geniuses to do what they did in such a short time.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I can see someone hasn't played a Trainwiz mod.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I have. They're neat but even the ones he made for Skyrim can be lacking.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Have they redone all of Vvardenfell yet?

.....Yes.
Vvardenfell is the default island :ssh:

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

That sounds pretty cool, but so far every single piece of modded additional areas/quests in a Fallout/Elder Scrolls game have been extremely lovely. Even the ones everyone says are good (looking at you, every single quest mod for Fallout New Vegas). I'm fine with mods altering existing things or switching up scripts and gameplay, but once they add new worldspaces it just enters whole new level of bad. Obsidian are geniuses to do what they did in such a short time.

Confirmed, you can travel down the currently released TR maps and see an increase in quality the further south you go as time goes on.

TR has a few things going for it:
-a lot of lore is already established (great houses, city placement, certain NPCs) so the writing is just in the details, no "let's make a new city for New Vegas".
-no voiced NPCs (probably the most important part)
-an absolutely inhuman standard of quality, to even contribute you have to provide a quality example of modding in that certain area. The test for interiors was too labor intensive so I just did quests :shobon:

The team is currently debating the official names of the regions and the use of "woods" vs "highlands" in one area.

Did I mention there's tens of thousands of words just in planning documents
http://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/content/state-house-dres
http://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/content/state-house-indoril

e: that image was the one that made me say "oh they're serious this time" and resign up for an account to help out

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

discuss

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Knights of the Nine was pretty great and it shames my ancestors that it is the Eight now.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

You can change that. Embrace your inner pelinal and show those elves how much you love the nine #maketheempiregreatagain

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mortimer posted:

.....Yes.
Vvardenfell is the default island :ssh:

Believe me, I know.

Last I heard about TR, they wanted to redo Beth content to better fit the original vision (read: Kirkbride's vision (read: Sload's vision)) of the province as a whole instead of just Vvardenfell + Mournhold + Solstheim.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
gently caress Talos. He was a dirty Imperial. What, Ysmir and Kyne aren't good enough for you?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Believe me, I know.

Last I heard about TR, they wanted to redo Beth content to better fit the original vision (read: Kirkbride's vision (read: Sload's vision)) of the province as a whole instead of just Vvardenfell + Mournhold + Solstheim.

I don't think that's on the table anymore, no

for an idea that dumb look to morrowind rebirth

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I would kill for a Romano-Chinese Venice mod for Oblivion

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Mortimer posted:

e: that image was the one that made me say "oh they're serious this time" and resign up for an account to help out

That's a really impressive map. They have an interactive one here, it looks like the southern section of Morrowind only has a heightmap, everything else has at least some terrain plopped down.

http://tamrielrebuilt.uesp.net/trmap/

I was really a shithead ten years ago or so, I just shat on them on the Bethesda forums and on their own forums, saying the scope of the project was ridiculous and they'll never come close to finish it like so many other giant-scope mods. But look at that now. Imagine what we're going to have when they consider Tamriel Rebuilt finished? Crazy.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

This is bad because, as everyone knows, Pelinal Whitestrake was a time-travelling cyborg with a Megaman style arm canon, not a dude.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
How did TR end up solving the Mournhold problem?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Shoehead posted:

I nabbed OCO but I forgot all about Darn. I'm totally spoiled by the loot all and shortcut buttons they added in Fallout 3

There's an "'A' takes all" mod too. Requires OBSE.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

There a some good ones for Skyrim, not so much for NV.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

raminasi posted:

They are discarding Bethesda's Mournhold and integrating the content into their Mournhold-Almalexia.

They said they couldn't figure out the best way to do it otherwise, even though I thought they had a pretty good Forbidden City thing going on.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Does TR work with OpenMW? You guys are doing a pretty good job of convincing me to try it. Especially that map.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

raminasi posted:

What is the Mournhold problem? Mournhold is on its own "plane" so to speak, and they can't simply drag and drop it into their map?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Node posted:

What is the Mournhold problem? Mournhold is on its own "plane" so to speak, and they can't simply drag and drop it into their map?

No, because the city is non-Euclidian. The lengths and angles of the five districts don't match.

The original solution was to let Mournhold as it is and use the big doors in the Plaza to link it to the outside world, where there is a dummy of the city, but despite this being a perfectly reasonable thing they wanted to change it anyway.

The paper map tells you the inner city looks like this:

But when you look at the in-game cells, it actually looks like that:

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 21, 2016

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Cat Mattress posted:

No, because the city is non-Euclidian. The lengths and angles of the five districts don't match.

The original solution was to let Mournhold as it is and use the big doors in the Plaza to link it to the outside world, where there is a dummy of the city, but despite this being a perfectly reasonable thing they wanted to change it anyway.

Thanks for the explanation. That sucks that TR can't get a way to just copy that into it, that'll add lots of time.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Thick walls, problem solved. :colbert:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Agents are GO! posted:

this seems so stupidly simple, there has got to be a reason they wont just do that

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Agents are GO! posted:

This is exactly what ran through my mind seeing that map.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Node posted:

this seems so stupidly simple, there has got to be a reason they wont just do that

Masochism.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Node posted:

Is this a joke?

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Whizbang posted:

This is bad because, as everyone knows, Pelinal Whitestrake was a time-travelling cyborg with a Megaman style arm canon, not a dude.

actually that part of the lore is dumb and I ignore it, same with most of the scifi poo poo like there being a supercomputer from 4000 years in the future under sarthaal and c0da.
Moonbases and god-planets are cool though so that gets a pass. I like my kirkbride watered down.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jun 21, 2016

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I'd like a Kirkbride please, shaken not stirred, hold the Vivec.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Shbobdb posted:

Is this a joke?

Yes. Which part?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Whoa, I've never noticed that. Though I did notice, when mucking around in the CS, that a lot of buildings don't match up with their interiors.

Also, I didn't even know they had quests implemented for some areas already. Sounds like the project has reached some kind of tipping point where you can actually see the end of it and it won't just run out of steam?

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Man Whore posted:

actually that part of the lore is dumb and I ignore it, same with most of the scifi poo poo like there being a supercomputer from 4000 years in the future under sarthaal and c0da.
Moonbases and god-planets are cool though so that gets a pass. I like my kirkbride watered down.

Vehkships are cool and can stay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Agents are GO! posted:

Even easier: the paper map is wrong. "Unreliable narrator."