Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone make a HoI4 portrait style version of Shirtless Hitler on a Motorcycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Taylor Swift is big in the neonazi movement. A modern-day Athena. Their words.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
So seriously how do you beat the US?

I tried coup-ing and then ferrying troops in, but the coup fell apart too fast, and that feels really gamey anyway.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Mantis42 posted:

Neutral E Germany being called "Kingdom of Prussia". IIRC one of the fake ministers submitted to the EvW contest was an army officer who took over East Germany and revived Prussia.

i mean, east germany shares most of its territory with prussia (if you squint hard enough)... neutral east germany is a very silly concept, but the prussia connection isn't too hard to make.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Thinking a little bit about the endless list of 'war leaders' problem, maybe the following might help?

• If one side of a war has no 'war leaders', then the other side can at any point choose to end the war and declare mission accomplished
  • Maybe set a max of 3 war leader 'slots' per side. This I guess allows Germany/Japan/Italy to all be leaders, or France/GB/??
  • Any time a war leader falls, everyone in the alliance should take a hit somehow. At least to national unity. London falling should give everyone in the Allies cold feet about staying in the war.
  • Once a war leader falls, the next highest member of the alliance (in terms of manpower maybe?) gets a pop-up that asks if they want to become a war leader. If they refuse, the next largest gets asked. This goes down the line until someone accepts, or nobody accepts and that spot becomes empty. AIs can be set to default to a "no" response if their manpower or some other metric is below a certain level, so you don't have Honduras or New Zealand opting to be a war leader unless something really wonky happens and they end up controlling a huge swath of territory somehow.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

What determines if a country is a "major"? Does there always have to be at least three?

It's immensely frustrating playing a Democratic Germany run, warring with France (and England), making them both capitulate, but then the war isn't over because the loving British Raj is a "major" and now I have to send a pile of troops to the other side of the planet, except there's a time limit because the US will join the Allies no matter loving what eventually, even if there isn't an Axis and then it adds yet another "major" I have to war down. Took a pile of reloads to pull off the perfect war to knock them out before the US jumps in and it's another couple years of "Naval Invasions 2: The Invasioning" before I can build a fleet to try and take control of the Atlantic.

Back a few pages, but I remembered seeing stuff about the rules for determining major while I was looking for other things in the defines, and here are the relevant lines, starting line 168:

MIN_MAJOR_COUNTRIES = 7,
ADDITIONAL_MAJOR_COUNTRIES_IC_RATIO = 0.7

MIN_MAJOR_COUNTRIES specifies that there are always at least 7 majors, defined as having the largest number of factories.

The second (and the accompanying comments, which won't fit) says that a country is also considered a major if they have factories equal to at least 70% of the average number of factories of the 7 biggest.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Thinking a little bit about the endless list of 'war leaders' problem, maybe the following might help?

• If one side of a war has no 'war leaders', then the other side can at any point choose to end the war and declare mission accomplished
  • Maybe set a max of 3 war leader 'slots' per side. This I guess allows Germany/Japan/Italy to all be leaders, or France/GB/??
  • Any time a war leader falls, everyone in the alliance should take a hit somehow. At least to national unity. London falling should give everyone in the Allies cold feet about staying in the war.
  • Once a war leader falls, the next highest member of the alliance (in terms of manpower maybe?) gets a pop-up that asks if they want to become a war leader. If they refuse, the next largest gets asked. This goes down the line until someone accepts, or nobody accepts and that spot becomes empty. AIs can be set to default to a "no" response if their manpower or some other metric is below a certain level, so you don't have Honduras or New Zealand opting to be a war leader unless something really wonky happens and they end up controlling a huge swath of territory somehow.

in your system, is there some downside to being a war leader?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Larry Parrish posted:

Someone make a HoI4 portrait style version of Shirtless Hitler on a Motorcycle.

Maybe Turkey should have that gaypride Erdogan photoshop as leader.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

slavatuvs posted:

I tried coup-ing and then ferrying troops in, but the coup fell apart too fast, and that feels really gamey anyway.

As Germany, I couped them simply to keep them occupied while I smashed the UK and the British Raj. The fascist coup got pretty much steamrolled but they held on to NY and massed all their troops there. So what I did was I transported around 50 divisions there to shore up their defense and start building some planning bonus for an offense. At the same time I made three naval invasions in NE Canada to open up new fronts, draw defenders there and ease the load of the supply routes. After that it was just a giant slog of ferrying over like 200 divisions and grinding them down, mostly through linking up the fronts and trying to encircle when I had the chance. I was hoping that Japan would make landfall on the Western coast to help but they never did. Oh, and like dropping 10 nuclear bombs all over the east coast as well as on some defenders to facilitate breakthroughs, since I had a hard time defeating their 20 div, entrenched armies. They capitulated after I nuked Baltimore, Boston, Washington DC and a couple of more cities, followed by me swooping in and taking them.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

slavatuvs posted:

In my game (historical AI activated) they never joined the Allies because my focus was on annexing them before the US would be ready to intervene. This game my Canada as staging ground for my attack on the US, although, because I hadn't beaten the USSR by the time the US declared on me, I had to cede most of Western Canada to them and only fortified my beachhead near the Great Lakes.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
In my Germany game the soviet union is waltzing around inside germany and southern france for some reason (100 divisions). We're not at war, and we don't have military access or anything but nevertheless they're here. Romania joined the allies which dragged them to war with the comintern. Maybe the AI should reject that kind of alliance unless it accomplishes their goals

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I just lost in the best way. Republican Spain in Comintern, was making the final push in Italy with the brunt of my army while a small force held off the Germans in the north of Italy, who were also invading France at the time (I had military access to France).

France, after holding firm for months, suddenly gets steamrolled (ran out of manpower I guess?) and I'm like oh poo poo I have to get my army back RIGHT loving NOW. Well I didn't. Germany just walked right in, rolled over the 10 divisions I had back home, and capitulated me in like a month before my units could get back.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
The AI being smarter about joining wars/factions and less self destructive would be kinda cool, maybe try to think a bit more longterm and join a winning faction that opposes you, rather than joining the faction you just beat.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

in your system, is there some downside to being a war leader?

I guess the downside is it makes you a clearer target for your enemies. It's not a downside for the US or UK because they're going to be targets anyways- but for Honduras or New Zealand, putting yourself on the top of the target list for your alliance may not be the best idea. Maybe there could be some game-y tactics of people trying to pick war leaders tucked in really remote locations? But at least in historical play, the initial war leaders would be basically pre-determined.

IDK, maybe all those ideas together don't work. I definitely think there's potential with the 'everyone in your alliance takes a national unity hit when a war leader surrenders", as it makes mop up actions a lot quicker.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

BTW- I need to read the notes of this a bit more, but a mod that might solve some peoples' (maybe just my) problem with breaking up Russia:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=705956129&searchtext=

Add's 'A Bitter Peace" decision/event to defeating Russia- at least for Germany.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
I did 4 art 4 inf divisions with Belgium and I think that might be the optimal loadout for a country with low mp, decent IC, and no techs to start with(making SPART unviable).

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Panzeh posted:

I did 4 art 4 inf divisions with Belgium and I think that might be the optimal loadout for a country with low mp, decent IC, and no techs to start with(making SPART unviable).

Until you run into tanks or try to attack something.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Chickpea Roar posted:

Duplicate the template, replace the light tanks with medium in the new template, then gradually change individual divisions template to the new template.
How do you change a division from one template to another?

edit- like here's my options window for the German game:

Someone's taken remarkable creative liberties with that portrait of Hitler.

Bloody Pom posted:

Probably the same reason there's no Holocaust events.

This is a war simulator, not a war is hell simulator.
On the other hand Stalins purges are totally cool and a core gameplay concept for that Nation. :allears:

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 21, 2016

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Tahirovic posted:

That whole befriend tree for Poland is dumb as hell to begin with, it's the easiest way to go fascist/commie but the axis/comintern hate you anyway and you're permanently blocked from making your own faction.

No they don't.

If you go Fascist Hitler will gladly let you into the Axis, and Italy/Turkey/Nationalist Spain will gladly join the Intermarium if you form the faction before they have a chance to join the Axis. Hell, if you can start working France early enough, it's even possible to get France into Intermarium before they befriend England ( I wouldn't do this on Historical though, because the AI is hardcoded to never change it's path even as you change poo poo, so you'll have to deal with the Hitler AI moving to attack his Fascist brothers in France which'll draw you into the conflict. ). I'd advise -against- forming Intermarium because you'll have to fight Hitler/Stalin when they push Danzig or War and literally none of the allies in this game are worth a poo poo so you'll still probably die, but it's something you can do.

If you join the Axis, Hitler can't actually choose Danzig or War. The y/n on it is "Is Poland in faction, if y cannot choose.".

If you really want, the best way to play Poland solo/make Intermarium is to gently caress with game mechanics. Take Sudetenland before Hitler can demand it. It needs to be owned by Czechoslovakia for him to demand it, so if you do, he can't ask for it. That blocks off that whole tree for him. Take Slovakia before he demands that as well, and that blocks off that whole tree for him. He also has a lot of very specific rules for Danzig or War that can help you get around it, and he'll never come back to it on Historical if you cause him to skip it. If you are in a Civil War he can't push Danzig or War. If there are any German Divisions volunteering in your theaters ( and there will be if you are Fascist and conquering Eastern Europe ) he can't push it. Or if you are in the Axis he can't push it. Easiest way is obviously to just join the Axis until Hitler makes a move on France, then drop the Axis and tech Between the Seas before inviting Turkey/Spain. You'll have to conquer then vassal Germany and Italy to get them to join, but eh.

Or just give Hitler Danzig. The y/n variables on a lot of that stuff is odd but pretty workable. Hitler will never declare war on Poland if you give him Danzig, and if you've been playing Poland right you should own all of Eastern Europe by that point, so really who cares about that region. Russia will still invade, but having a strong enough Alliance ( either joining the Allies, Axis, or forming Intermarium will do it ) will keep him from invading for seemingly indefinitely. Obviously if you join the Allies, leave once France gets invaded, because fuuuuuck them. Don't join in the war for France, because France will wait to die, and Germany will move over and conquer you with their entire France invasion force.

Or if you go Communist, Russia will gladly invite you into Comintern, and when Hitler attacks after Danzig or war, you can bring Communism to Europe rather fast.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Don't suppose theres a mod yet that reduces the value you get in peace conferences from strategic bombing?

Getting kinda sick of seeing the UK take huge swathes of the planet from bombing alone and very few boots on the ground.

Speaking of mods, this one is both simple, visual only and great:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=706092793

Just lets you see what you're selecting better. :thumbsup:

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 21, 2016

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Tindahbawx posted:

Don't suppose theres a mod yet that reduces the value you get in peace conferences from strategic bombing?

Getting kinda sick of seeing the UK take huge swathes of the planet from bombing alone and very few boots on the ground.

Speaking of mods, this one is both simple, visual only and great:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=706092793

Just lets you see what you're selecting better. :thumbsup:

it's one line in the defines

code:
WAR_SCORE_AIR_WORTH = 0.5,              -- how much strategic bombing will affect warscore

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

it's one line in the defines

code:
WAR_SCORE_AIR_WORTH = 0.5,              -- how much strategic bombing will affect warscore

Well poo poo, guess I'll just do it myself then! Cheers! I never even thought to look.

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 21, 2016

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I think changing strat bombing rewards disables achievements FWIW. I tested it with the Axis Canada playthrough and it didn't fire until I verified the steam cache to reset the file.

I need a way to disable strategic redeployment without abandoning the "front line" command altogether :gonk:

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

texasmed posted:

I think changing strat bombing rewards disables achievements FWIW. I tested it with the Axis Canada playthrough and it didn't fire until I verified the steam cache to reset the file.

I need a way to disable strategic redeployment without abandoning the "front line" command altogether :gonk:

It would be so much better if the AI shuffled a load of divisions one province along the line rather than grabbing one from Leningrad and sticking it on the next train to Baku.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

texasmed posted:

ofc it does, because you are no longer playing the base game. You can do some really checky stuff in the defines.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

texasmed posted:

I think changing strat bombing rewards disables achievements FWIW.

Thankfully there is nothing I could care less about than achievements.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Rookersh posted:

No they don't.

If you go Fascist Hitler will gladly let you into the Axis, and Italy/Turkey/Nationalist Spain will gladly join the Intermarium if you form the faction before they have a chance to join the Axis. Hell, if you can start working France early enough, it's even possible to get France into Intermarium before they befriend England ( I wouldn't do this on Historical though, because the AI is hardcoded to never change it's path even as you change poo poo, so you'll have to deal with the Hitler AI moving to attack his Fascist brothers in France which'll draw you into the conflict. ). I'd advise -against- forming Intermarium because you'll have to fight Hitler/Stalin when they push Danzig or War and literally none of the allies in this game are worth a poo poo so you'll still probably die, but it's something you can do.

If you join the Axis, Hitler can't actually choose Danzig or War. The y/n on it is "Is Poland in faction, if y cannot choose.".

If you really want, the best way to play Poland solo/make Intermarium is to gently caress with game mechanics. Take Sudetenland before Hitler can demand it. It needs to be owned by Czechoslovakia for him to demand it, so if you do, he can't ask for it. That blocks off that whole tree for him. Take Slovakia before he demands that as well, and that blocks off that whole tree for him. He also has a lot of very specific rules for Danzig or War that can help you get around it, and he'll never come back to it on Historical if you cause him to skip it. If you are in a Civil War he can't push Danzig or War. If there are any German Divisions volunteering in your theaters ( and there will be if you are Fascist and conquering Eastern Europe ) he can't push it. Or if you are in the Axis he can't push it. Easiest way is obviously to just join the Axis until Hitler makes a move on France, then drop the Axis and tech Between the Seas before inviting Turkey/Spain. You'll have to conquer then vassal Germany and Italy to get them to join, but eh.

Or just give Hitler Danzig. The y/n variables on a lot of that stuff is odd but pretty workable. Hitler will never declare war on Poland if you give him Danzig, and if you've been playing Poland right you should own all of Eastern Europe by that point, so really who cares about that region. Russia will still invade, but having a strong enough Alliance ( either joining the Allies, Axis, or forming Intermarium will do it ) will keep him from invading for seemingly indefinitely. Obviously if you join the Allies, leave once France gets invaded, because fuuuuuck them. Don't join in the war for France, because France will wait to die, and Germany will move over and conquer you with their entire France invasion force.

Or if you go Communist, Russia will gladly invite you into Comintern, and when Hitler attacks after Danzig or war, you can bring Communism to Europe rather fast.

Very nice write up of what I should have done :(
Basically what worked for me was using the first 150pp for the fascist advisor and then it was so slow, I decided to go down the tree to get the extra + fascism from the NF. Problem was, even after "Befriend Axis" Hitler was a oval office and wouldn't let me join. Not sure if he was upset about me taking Romania, Bulgaria and Greece. So the next thing that happened was me going for Hungary, Hungary joining Axis mid war and almost loving me up. If Hitler wasn't a moron who likes fighting bunkers in the mountains I would have lost at that point. I occupied Hungary, then started to move in on Germany, a couple of days before I took Munich (last VP) .... "Italy joined the Axis".

I think I'll restart and see if I can get into the Axis before taking my Balkan lands.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

GaussianCopula posted:

Until you run into tanks or try to attack something.

Its actually fine on the attack. Tanks are tough but doable.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Tindahbawx posted:

How do you change a division from one template to another?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Are the performance issues something they can realistically fix? I don't know a thing about how games actually work, but i feel like every Paradox game I've played has huge issues in the late game with performance and it just gets worse and worse with more content being added. Currently in 1946 trying to invade the Americas and it's such a slog with the inconsistent FPS and the game chugging every second to think about what's happening.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Does unit overstacking depend on weight or unit number? I ask this because my hundreds of size 9 divisions didn't seem to be able to accomplish anything and I suspect it had something to do with the overstacking penalty on them.

S w a y z e fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 21, 2016

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Dongattack posted:

Are the performance issues something they can realistically fix? I don't know a thing about how games actually work, but i feel like every Paradox game I've played has huge issues in the late game with performance and it just gets worse and worse with more content being added. Currently in 1946 trying to invade the Americas and it's such a slog with the inconsistent FPS and the game chugging every second to think about what's happening.

Might depend on how much individual division work is causing the slowdown. If it's a significant part of the performance issue, I suspect it can/will be fixed by forcing AI nations to not build and spam lovely 3-4 battalion divisions. And never building medium/heavy tanks.

In my Germany game Italy and Japan look like they have the biggest army ever because they've spammed lovely infantry divisions and my ~200 divisions look like nothing against their might 400-500 division armies.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

dylguy90 posted:

Does unit overstacking depend on weight or unit number? I ask this because my hundreds of size 9 divisions didn't seem to be able to accomplish anything and I suspect it had something to do with the overstacking penalty on them.

I'm pretty sure it's just combat width. Click on one of the combat icons and mouse over the displayed attack and defence stats to see what modifiers are there.

Also the best way to avoid the overstacking penalty is to use divisions whose width divides evenly into 20, so you never have that problem unless your AI allies' poo poo divisions get involved.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Sorry, I have the German version of the game :(
Pretty crazy that Paradox would license her image for their game, but I guess they know what they're doing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dongattack posted:

HOI3 had HORRID performance issues, even in the early game, at launch. As time went on and patches expansions released, it got much, much better.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

slavatuvs posted:

The same way you beat every major power, except you need to do more island hopping to get to CONUS. You'll need plenty of strategic bombers, nukes, and a large navy unless you have the manpower to burn through South America first. It helps to wait for the USA to launch several doomed invasions first.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Is a coastal frontline order too much to ask for? Ugh.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Might depend on how much individual division work is causing the slowdown. If it's a significant part of the performance issue, I suspect it can/will be fixed by forcing AI nations to not build and spam lovely 3-4 battalion divisions. And never building medium/heavy tanks.

In my Germany game Italy and Japan look like they have the biggest army ever because they've spammed lovely infantry divisions and my ~200 divisions look like nothing against their might 400-500 division armies.

In my nearly-done Italy game, Germany has over 1500 goddamn divisions. I think I'm sitting at maybe 400, and I'm the one that did the work of breaking the US, while Germany is sitting with hundreds of starving low-supply divisions in South America doing nothing much at all.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Turns out, the US AI will defend the poo poo out of Washington DC. I encircled DC as the Soviets, but before I could, over 160 division piled into the defense of that city, into its single hex.

Over a million pixel soldiers crammed into the city, which I then promptly nuked twice. And thats how the USA became part of the glorious People's Socialist Republic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Gully Foyle posted:

In my nearly-done Italy game, Germany has over 1500 goddamn divisions. I think I'm sitting at maybe 400, and I'm the one that did the work of breaking the US, while Germany is sitting with hundreds of starving low-supply divisions in South America doing nothing much at all.

Just like real Germany.

I don't know which part of my play-through I found funnier, the crazy routes Japan took after taking down china to attach both India and Central Russia (the rumor that Afghanistan is where empires go to die has apparently never considered the power of the IJA), or the huge war Italy and Japan are fighting against America in Sierra Leone, who decided to use the the French Commune territory (France went communist almost immediately after I puppeted Vichy) as a place to start supporting the Allied war effort.