Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Ciaphas posted:

Do the Witcher sets have set bonuses at some point that I'm just not seeing yet? Coulda sworn I saw someone referring to those.

I cheated a bit yesterday and looked up a guide to finding the base Ursine diagrams. Crafted em, put em on, holy cow my strong attack hit for how much just there? :stare:

Set bonuses are a Blood and Wine thing, for the grandmaster versions of the sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Ciaphas posted:

Do the Witcher sets have set bonuses at some point that I'm just not seeing yet? Coulda sworn I saw someone referring to those.
Only the grandmaster level 40 versions added in Blood and Wine do.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Ciaphas posted:

I cheated a bit yesterday and looked up a guide to finding the base Ursine diagrams. Crafted em, put em on, holy cow my strong attack hit for how much just there? :stare:

Make sure you have the Heavy Armor perk that increases strong attack damage and I think vitality? Ursine/Quen/Heavy attacks is a good build, you can veer towards Rend if you're using Quen since you wont be interrupted if you pick a bad time to do it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Hobo Clown posted:

What's the trick to parrying/reflecting arrows? I've never done it successfully and I have the perk up to level 3.

The automatic arrow reflecting rune on your armor.

I tried it and clearing those pesky bandit camps just became so much less annoying.

Besides that, I like the weapon rune that makes the armor/weapon buffs last forever.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Azazell0 posted:

Besides that, I like the weapon rune that makes the armor/weapon buffs last forever.
Does this work for both if you have it on either sword? I always wondered since it doesn't really make a lot of sense as a sword rune.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Sindai posted:

Does this work for both if you have it on either sword? I always wondered since it doesn't really make a lot of sense as a sword rune.

I think it does considering it works on armor too. Don't rely on me for this though.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
:monocle:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Anyone else noticed a bug with Equine Phantoms? I can't talk to Pinastri to start the quest at all. She's on the ground and has an exclamation mark on the map but there's no prompt to talk when approached? It's super frustrating because I hear it's one of the best expansion quests.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 21, 2016

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Finished the main B&W storyline least night. Personally I felt that the best ending was a bit too neat and tidy. Except for what happened to Regis :(

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I played with blue skills on PS4 for 60 hours up through the beginning of skellige, now that my PC can run the game I got the PC version because it's good enough to buy twice. I'm catching up to where I was but with red skills and man it is three times as hard. Signs just got a bit loving silly by level 15 or so, where you can burn someone with your whole bar of stamina and they will still be burning by the time the bar is refilled so you just hold down the flamethrower again until dead. Then there was quen being a source of infinitely refillable health, yrden covering a football field and lasting long enough to play a full game on it that goes into overtime, axii being pretty much an instakill on anyone you mind control because enemies do so much damage to each other, aard knocking down everything around you into an instakill-ready state for 10 solid seconds...

Now I am the fearsome Man With Sword.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Can you use controller but still reach over to the keyboard for menu shortcuts, or does it not change controls on the fly? I found the controls way more intuitive on PS4 but if I ran the controller through DS4windows I assume the shortcuts to the inventory and map would not be there since they relied on the DS4's touch pad. I like the access to quicksave and menu shortcuts on the keyboard but I cannot find a lock-on key that works well and it's making the combat feel even more janky. Also third person games like this just control better with an analogue stick in general.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

ThomasPaine posted:

Anyone else noticed a bug with Equine Phantoms? I can't talk to Pinastri to start the quest at all. She's on the ground and has an exclamation mark on the map but there's no prompt to talk when approached? It's super frustrating because I hear it's one of the best expansion quests.

I just did the quest. I had to meditate to get it to appear. Otherwise try the bomb glitch if that still works. I had to do that for someone on the vanilla quest but it was
Back in like 1.04

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."

Digirat posted:

Can you use controller but still reach over to the keyboard for menu shortcuts, or does it not change controls on the fly? I found the controls way more intuitive on PS4 but if I ran the controller through DS4windows I assume the shortcuts to the inventory and map would not be there since they relied on the DS4's touch pad. I like the access to quicksave and menu shortcuts on the keyboard but I cannot find a lock-on key that works well and it's making the combat feel even more janky. Also third person games like this just control better with an analogue stick in general.

The controls change on the fly. I played with a 360 controller and used the keyboard to open the map or quicksave all the time.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ragingsheep posted:

Finished the main B&W storyline least night. Personally I felt that the best ending was a bit too neat and tidy. Except for what happened to Regis :(

Honestly, I think the best ending is letting Syanna die and letting Dettlaff walk free. Sure, Geralt doesn't get a medal and has some unpleasant time in jail, but I'd rather make Henrietta sad than Regis, and I'd consider Syanna more responsible for all the poo poo that happened than Dettlaff. Sure, you might say he's an unstable monster, but dude is literally hundreds of years old and this is like the first time he tries to destroy a city, so I can't help but praise his self-control.

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."
I feel that all attempts to throw some sympathy towards Dettlaff were heavy handed and weakly done. Your main reason for trying to help him at all is just Regis saying "trust me, he's not really that bad a guy", but all the evidence stacks against him. He straight up murders six people because he's being blackmailed, and Regis tells Geralt that "you'd to the same if it was Yen or Ciri", but I don't really see Geralt doing that. Then he straight up massacres an entire city because a woman he hasn't seen in years lied to him. Both Syanna and Regis confirm that he is pretty much autistic and can't function in human society. He did feel bad for killing that one guy when he chopped off his hand, and he was nice to the shoeshine kid, but I feel that the rule of "show, don't tell" is really being ignored here. We are being told to feel some sympathy for him because of some things he did in the past, but all of the things he does in Blood and Wine are beyond hosed up. The ending where Regis has to kill him makes the most sense for me, in a kind Of Mice and Men way, but overall I felt that having him as a villain made the expansion weaker since I really had to go out of my way to find some moral ambiguity in his character. You can argue that it was all actually Syanna's fault, but she was just setting out to kill six people that did something hosed up to her when she was a child, not mass murder an entire city.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Why is Zoltan telling me my deck is poo poo after a game where I sprung Ciri, Natalis and Roche on him and beat his sorry dwarf rear end?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Zak2k12 posted:

I feel that all attempts to throw some sympathy towards Dettlaff were heavy handed and weakly done.
I felt like all of that was intentional? Like, I don't think you can call it a mistake on CDPR's part because I can't believe they thought players would feel sympathetic for him after Night of the Long Fangs, and you seem to be assuming they did.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 21, 2016

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Can someone help a fellow gwent fanatic please?

The last card I need from the Skellige deck, indeed the last card I need period, is marked on my map as inside the inn in the middle of beauclair.

It's the building right southeast of the notice board in this screenshot: http://imgur.com/KH4Vn5N

But If I try to go inside, the doors are locked. Does this open at a certain quest point or something? I'm in the part of the main quest where I did a bunch of crap and now I need to return to the duchess.

Googling anything about a locked inn is not helping.

edit: I guess the card is Olaf?

ultrachrist fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 21, 2016

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

CVagts posted:

This looks like a sweet mod, too bad it doesn't support 1.22 yet http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1112/

Edit: Wrong mod, nevermind.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
HoS vs BaW Detlaff and Regis fell short of the characters HoS offered. It was still incredible by standards of other games but there was just no following Gaunter's impressive malevolence.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Did they ever rebalance mutagen drops?

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Arglebargle III posted:

Playing through a new game, sure doesn't feel like it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Arglebargle III posted:

No but they didn't change the whale graveyard farming spot.

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

Sindai posted:

I felt like all of that was intentional? Like, I don't think you can call it a mistake on CDPR's part because I can't believe they thought players would feel sympathetic for him after Night of the Long Fangs, and you seem to be assuming they did.

I don't really know what they were thinking. The whole night of the long fangs things was a weird step on their part. Maybe they just wanted to use that flashy cutscene and have a section where you fight in the city. It's the only moment in the game where the story literally skips ahead a few days and takes agency completely away from you. Regis and Geralt go like "welp, we couldn't find him" and that's it. I feel like it was one of the weakest moments in the game's overall arcs.

The Witcher games are at their best when they tread a middle ground of moral ambiguity, when there is no obvious "right" choice. Like in HoS where you have a crazy immortal warlord on one side and a sadistic omni-potent god on the other. You come to sympathize (or not) with Olgierd because you go back into his history and see his descent into monstrosity, and you have the choice to help him save his soul from Gaunter O'Dimm. It asks the question whether someone who has spent several lifetimes committing great crimes should be sentenced to an eternity of torment, or should he have a chance at redemption? It is a very human theme deeply explored and rarely tackled in a game.

Whereas in Blood and Wine you just have to stop a vampire from killing some people. There is no real meaningful choice about it, unless you are ready to let a mass murdering vampire go free because... I don't really know why you would do that. You can let Detlaff kill Syanna, because she's done some bad things, but shouldn't he also be punished for all the people he's killed for no reason during the night of the long fangs? Letting him go makes no sense, it treads no moral grey area, it doesn't make for any kind of conclusion. Geralt may just be a guy with a sword and he can't change the fate of the world, but even in the most cynical choices the game gives you, he always follows through on a contract and wouldn't let a monster who is a threat to humans walk away. I liked Blood and Wine, but I felt that the overall story fell flat. They could have made Detlaff a more relateable character, they could have assigned him more human traits instead of making him a crazy vampire that throws a tantrum at the slightest provocation and goes on a mass murdering spree when he doesn't get his way. As it stands, you're just in a hosed up situation with unlikable assholes, facing an antagonist with plot armor who can only be killed by your reluctant friend. It's weak, contrived storytelling and a mediocre conclusion for a great series.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Zak2k12 posted:

BaW plot

In retrospect, I have no idea why this wasn't mentioned as a possible solution: pin Detlaff down, squash his physical body, and then figure out what to do with the Detlaff puddle as he slowly regenerates. Best case scenario, Detlaff cools down and Regis doesn't have to kill his friend, worst case scenario Regis can kill him while he is incapable of hurting anyone yet.

On that note, I wish this was a possible outcome for the ending too: The way it plays out, either Syanna dies or she forgives her sister. I think there should have been a middle ground where Syanna didn't forgive her sister immediately, but was kept in custody while everyone came to terms with what happened. That seems like a much more realistic and Witchery way of concluding sibling drama that severe.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

RatHat posted:

No but they didn't change the whale graveyard farming spot.

Ugh, I don't want a million blue mutagens and to have to go farm red ones though.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Mizuti posted:

In retrospect, I have no idea why this wasn't mentioned as a possible solution: pin Detlaff down, squash his physical body, and then figure out what to do with the Detlaff puddle as he slowly regenerates. Best case scenario, Detlaff cools down and Regis doesn't have to kill his friend, worst case scenario Regis can kill him while he is incapable of hurting anyone yet.

Just Lock his regenerating corpse in that magic cage for a few hundred years...

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Mizuti posted:

That's a problem because his horde of lesser vampires would still be trying to kill everyone in Beauclaire. They wouldn't stop until he made them or he was dead, and crushing him into a fine paste and putting it in a bucket in an unbreakable cage is nowhere near enough to kill him.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

wyoak posted:

I don't get why CDPR didn't allow you to scroll through all your bombs on the quick select wheel when they redid the GUI. On a related note, AutoApplyOils is a great mod.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure you can't switch between bombs mid-combat. That's why.
The idea is you have two bombs ready for throwing and the rest of them are in your inventory and you can't access them mid-combat. Having ALL of your bombs would be OP as gently caress.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Ragingsheep posted:

The worst thing about that ending is while it's nice that Syanna and her sister reconcile, she's still directly responsible for murdering knights and indirectly responsible for Detlaff ruining the city. There should be some punishment

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Man, scoured the internet but I seem to have already missed every opportunity to do an act of generosity for There Can Be Only One. Any ways to do it in the main quest after the masquerade party?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Jack Trades posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure you can't switch between bombs mid-combat. That's why.
The idea is you have two bombs ready for throwing and the rest of them are in your inventory and you can't access them mid-combat. Having ALL of your bombs would be OP as gently caress.

You totally can go into the inventory and swap them though, unless that's disabled in higher difficulties.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

Zak2k12 posted:

I feel that all attempts to throw some sympathy towards Dettlaff were heavy handed and weakly done. Your main reason for trying to help him at all is just Regis saying "trust me, he's not really that bad a guy", but all the evidence stacks against him. He straight up murders six people because he's being blackmailed, and Regis tells Geralt that "you'd to the same if it was Yen or Ciri", but I don't really see Geralt doing that. Then he straight up massacres an entire city because a woman he hasn't seen in years lied to him. Both Syanna and Regis confirm that he is pretty much autistic and can't function in human society. He did feel bad for killing that one guy when he chopped off his hand, and he was nice to the shoeshine kid, but I feel that the rule of "show, don't tell" is really being ignored here. We are being told to feel some sympathy for him because of some things he did in the past, but all of the things he does in Blood and Wine are beyond hosed up. The ending where Regis has to kill him makes the most sense for me, in a kind Of Mice and Men way, but overall I felt that having him as a villain made the expansion weaker since I really had to go out of my way to find some moral ambiguity in his character. You can argue that it was all actually Syanna's fault, but she was just setting out to kill six people that did something hosed up to her when she was a child, not mass murder an entire city.

Perhaps the autist.... is you?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

All right so I know that the developer's patched the prologue so that you can't miss out on a certain Gwent card reward, but beyond that what are most easily-missable card,s because the other player disappears or because they refuse to play card games as the apocalypse is happening?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Inspector Gesicht posted:

All right so I know that the developer's patched the prologue so that you can't miss out on a certain Gwent card reward, but beyond that what are most easily-missable card,s because the other player disappears or because they refuse to play card games as the apocalypse is happening?

The ones at the Vegelbud estate ball are probably up there with the Most Missable.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

ThomasPaine posted:

I've not seen this bug before (well, there was a similar bug before ship, but it's def fixed). The only thing I can suggest is leaving the area and coming back to see if she will talk (this will force her to stream out and then back in). If that doesn't work, please contact our customer support, they may know of a solution, and if they don't they can get your savegame and send it to me so I can try and fix it.

http://en.cdprojektred.com/contact-support/

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

You totally can go into the inventory and swap them though, unless that's disabled in higher difficulties.

I'm playing on blood & broken bones and you can definitely swap bombs mid-combat

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Has anyone else noticed that since the release of Blood & Wine, you no longer get subtitled 'foreign' language stuff when you have general subtitles off? Elvish, Nilfgaardian and so on. Used to be you'd get the subtitles for those bits regardless; now you need to have all subtitles on to see them.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I wish you could put the two alternate consumable slots on d-pad left and right and make L2+d-pad the sword hotkeys. Minor nitpick I know...

Also when did the game start allowing oils during combat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Man, I forgot how much XP you earn during the Battle of Kaer Morhen. Went in at level 56, came out level 60, threw down on a Wild Hunt general, came out at 62, upgraded some armor and immediately went to Toussaint to find the dye shop so I can be a pretty, pretty princess, got sucked into the story progression and now I'm 64.

Now, since I've been in Toussaint, I've noticed something going on with Geralt. He holds his left arm out and down at an angle, with his elbow bent and forarm hanging down. I can't tell if he has a broken arm, or if he's trying to be all fancy for the royalty. Anyone else seen this?