Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Whatever combination of characters will allow you to continue to reduce the post game to a shuddering, crying mess

Also, been a while since I read the original LP but, didn't the "ultimate" weapons suck in the original EO2?

Yes. They all had 0.1 speed multipliers, meaning that they would significantly slow your characters down. Also they only had slightly more attack power than the real ultimate weapons, which didn't even matter if the real ultimate weapon provided a strength bonus.

Not the case in EO2U. The ultimate weapons obtained from quests have the same speed modifiers as the other weapons of their kind, and I believe some of them actually come with secondary boosts this time around. So they've been upgraded from terrible to mediocre. The reasoning for the fact that the ultimate weapons obtained from quests aren't the best is because they're supposed to be a stop gap until you unlock the real ultimate weapons through fulfilling difficult to accomplish conditional drops, which require more effort than just completing a quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Jackie, Tyler, Ursa, Rheine.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Ranger, Phoebe, Milly, Sophie

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Current results are:

quote:

Ursa: 7
Rheine: 6
Colette: 5
Ranger: 4

My vote: 4
Stardust: 3
Sophie: 3
Jackie: 2
Tyler: 2
Phoebe: 1
Realga: 1
Milly: 1

Anyone not listed has no votes.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Jackie, Pheobe, Realga.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Seems like everyone that wanted to vote has, and the final results are:

quote:

Ursa: 7
Colette: 5
Ranger: 4

Stardust: 3
Sophie: 3
Jackie: 3
Tyler: 2
Realga: 2
Phoebe: 2
Milly: 1

This leaves us with a party of Colette, Ursa, Ranger, Nadia, Rheine.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I re-read the Alchemist skill guide, and I had an idea:

Could a Palm skill force Riot Formula to be a certain damage type? If you've tested this, tell us. If not, try it out!

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 56: Un-Winter Wyvern

We are certainly varying up our parties quite a bit recently.
Eh, what do I care? I get to do something.
Rrr.
I must admit, being on semi-active duty after months of rest is nice.
Hmm... Sauce #164, failure. Peaches, oranges, pears, and puckerberries do not taste good together. Almost collapsed in on myself. Side note: peach pits apparently have cyanide in them. Do not eat next time.

Everyone, bar Nadia, is the same as you last saw them. The only real changes are Ranger has a level 10 Freeze Sabre Grimoire instead of Shock Sabre, and Nadia is working on maxing out Sagittarius Shot now that she has Chain Dance maxed. She also has the Zamiel Bow and both of her ultimate armors equipped.

Note my choice of food, incidentally. You'll see what that actually means in a bit.

SYSTEM: Artelinde bows graciously towards you, and the old man stands as implacably as ever.
...Did you come here to find the ultimate gun, as I said?
SYSTEM: Having said that, Wilhelm casts a glance over his shoulder, then looks gravely to you again.
...If you did, you came to the right place. In here rests a fearsome flying dragon...and the ultimate gun lies next to it.
Uh, the quest mentioned nothing about a DRAGON.
Wh... Old man, you didn't mention the dragon? I told you to mention the dragon on the quest board!
Tch...
I will opt to believe you were not trying to just send us to our deaths.
*sigh*... Well, no point crying over spilled milk. Here, let us explain the situation.
That would be appreciated.
...We've talked about it before...about how someone close to me used to explore the Labyrinth. She explored for a long time...but met her end in the third Stratum, and became a monster...
SYSTEM: She bites her lip, finding it hard to continue. Seeing her expression, Wilhelm continues the story.
In her party, there was another gunner. He was a veteran marksman, and he taught me nearly everything I know.
Was he two hundred years old? He must've been old to be old that soon ago.
The gunner vowed to take revenge for her, and chased the monster that took her life. One gunner, rampaging through Yggdrasil. He suffered greatly, and at times the situation felt hopeless, but he never gave up, and never stopped moving forward. One day, he finally reached the room of the monster--the beast that freely terrorized the entire forest... And this room is that very room. Here, the gunner stood against the flying dragon alone...and fell.
It took a "veteran" gunner an entire rampage to just reach the secret area?
And his beloved gun fell along with him... Agnea. To my knowledge, it's the single most powerful gun in existence.

Wilhelm's technically not wrong, but we'll discuss that later.

Originally, I would have been the one to inherit Agnea, and confront the deadly dragon in his stead... But I no longer have the strength. And, moreover... I think it belongs in your hands now. Don't hesitate. Don't falter. Just keep moving forward...and please, defeat the flying dragon.
SYSTEM: The old man finishes his grim tale, and his partner extends her hand, passing something forward to you.
And since we're asking for your help, take this with you. It'll help you more than it would help me.

SYSTEM: This staff is the fabled Yggdrasil Staff... Inside it rests Yggdrasil's arcane might. The bearer's mind gains nigh-infinite power!
Well, this looks fancy. Thanks.
Hmhm... I didn't think you'd be the one thanking me. We should be thanking you. We'll pray for your safe return with everything we have. See you later, Lumen.
SYSTEM: With that, Artelinde falls silent, and Wilhelm moves aside to clear the way ahead. The two members of Guild Esbat take their exit...

What kind of wimp would I be to listen to that and not go forward?

Firstly, though, this thing. The Yggdrasil Staff is the first pseudo-ultimate weapon, as I'll refer to them from here on out. These are given out from quests, and have the highest ATK value of their respective weapon class (swords and katanas excepted)--albeit usually by 5 or less points. In exchange for that, however, all but one of them lack any secondary attributes whatsoever. The only exception is this one, the Yggdrasil Staff, which gives +50 HP and TP. That's a pretty mediocre bonus, honestly, and the actual ultimate staff, the Kerykeion, gives +200 TP and +7 TEC, which are stats that staff wielders would actually want.

Having said that, Colette will be holding onto the Yggdrasil Staff for a while, since its ATK is head and shoulders above anything else she can equip at this point, and it offsets the loss of bonus stats. She'll replace it with the ultimate sword later, though.

(Worth noting that there is no pseudo-ultimate spear.)

I never thought I would be able to call myself a dragonslayer.
Being a bit presumptive, huh?
You underestimate Ranger.

Wyvern doesn't have any pre-battle text.

:siren: VIDEO: Boss Battle: Wyvern :siren:

Quick refresher on Wyvern's stats:

quote:

Wyvern
HP: 33000, STR: 80, TEC: 58, VIT: 55, AGI: 55, LUC: 49
Skills:
  • Wing Talon: Uses the arms. Deals 450% melee STR-based Cut damage to one party member. Has a 150% speed modifier and 150 base accuracy.
  • Tail Strike: Uses the legs. Deals 300% melee STR-based Stab damage to one target, with splash damage. Has a 70% speed modifier and 60 base accuracy.
  • Whirlwind: Uses the arms. Attempts to bind the legs of each party member, with a 200% base chance. Has no speed modifier.
  • Burning Ray: Uses the head. Deals 400% ranged TEC-based Volt damage to one party member. Has a 50% speed modifier and 150 base accuracy.
  • Sharp Roar: Uses the head. Deals 150% ranged TEC-based Almighty damage to one party member, with line-piercing effect. Attempts to stun and bind the heads of hit targets, with a 120% base chance. Has a 70% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Wyvern Talon. 100% chance. Sells for 18500 en. 1 needed to make Kazakiri (+233 ATK, +5 AGI).
    "Cursed talon from the tip of a Wyvern wing. It cuts through wind to increase its velocity."
  • Conditional: Paralyzed Wing (Kill while paralyzed). 100% chance. Sells for 37000 en. 1 needed to make Kerykeion (+175 ATK, +200 TP, +7 TEC). 1 needed to make Wyvern Spear (+223 ATK, +40 HP, +40 TP).
    "A paralyzed wing that can no longer fly. So full of energy, it flaps while paralyzed."
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 50% 125% 0%
Disable resistances:
25% 50% 50% 25% 50% 50% 25%
0% 0% 10%
50% 25% 25%

One of the ancient wyrms, who soars high in the sky, scorching the land below in blinding light.

I'm not gonna paralyze Wyvern just yet--I want to ensure that it'll die with the ailment. I enable War Edge Power to compensate for that fact.

Ursa immediately turns on Desperation so that she won't get one-shot by an unlucky Wing Talon.

Ranger preps Delayed Chase.

Nadia'll fire off Sagittarius Shot.

And Rheine buffs everyone's attack, same as always.

Wait for it...

Rr?

...I overestimated Burning Ray. To be fair, though, Ursa took 25% of its normal damage--50% reduction from the Bikini Armor, and a further 50% from Loyalty Mastery.

Þetta starfsfólk mun gera, fyrir nú.

Imagine if Milly was here.

I'VE ALREADY BEATEN UP ANOTHER DRAGON, I'LL GLADLY GRIND THIS ONE INTO PASTE!

Now that Nadia is using actual skills, I have her enable Illusion Step.

Rheine throws out a Dauntless Order as insurance, in case Ursa gets one shot by something.

So nice, I had to do it twice.

Wait, nope, three times. ...There went the rhyme, I guess.

Ursa could survive that even without Desperation.

Breaking news: Ranger still deals big damage.

War Edge Power is about to run out, so I'm gonna try to paralyze Wyvern now.

Rheine's out of buffs to cast, so she switches to Link Order.

There we go!

Urrrgh!

Ow.

I'd say that's kind of Lucky, but Nadia has equivalent LUC to Wyvern, Wyvern only has 50% paralysis res, and Paralysis Arrow's base inflict chance at level 20 is 80%.

I wish I could stack more TEC on Rheine, honestly.

Ursa just attacks, since I know Wyvern isn't going to do anything.

Notice how I said "know." That is because the Shell Yakiniku, which bills itself as "Paralysis Effect Up," actually makes it so that paralyzed enemies have a 99% chance to not act. Paralyzed enemies are effectively completely helpless while the Shell Yakiniku is in effect.

Wyvern's at half HP, so I need more turns of Transform.

I'm not gonna need Illusion Step for the rest of the fight, so I might as well have Nadia deal as much damage as possible.

Too fast for you!

Yeah, we'll be able to kill this thing before the paralysis runs out.

Mhm, we're good.

I'm worried that the paralysis might run out after one turn, so I have Ranger just use Akashic Nova for maximum damage.

How is the dragon flying, but not moving?

Regal authority triumphs in the end.

Too easy, honestly.

SYSTEM: You carefully examine its titanic corpse, and discover a gleaming gun between the flying dragon's huge teeth. This must be the firearm known as the ultimate gun--Agnea!

Didn't we just buy Jackie a fancier-looking gun yesterday?
Yes. Much fancier-looking. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have her test it, though.
SYSTEM: You obtained the gun, and completed your quest. All that remains is to go back to the bar and collect your reward.

Ranger's Force gauge can now go to a maximum of 185.

Oh, yeh're back safely. Did yeh manage to find this “ultimate gun" thing?
After killing a really weak dragon, yeah.
...Yeesh, I didn't expect a beast like that on the 1st floor... So, yeh got the gun after yeh managed to kill it? ...Maybe yeh really are stronger than any monster in the forest. ...Anyhow, good work. Careful not to lose that gun, awright?

Colette's working towards War Heal All.

Still giving Ursa marginally more survivability.

Accounting for Grimoires, Sagittarius Shot now deals 530% damage.

I've run out of actives I want on Rheine.

We'll close out on the items from Wyvern's drops.

Kerykeion (+175 ATK, +200 TP, +7 TEC) is made from 1 Paralyzed Wing. It's not that great for War Magi, but it is absolutely fantastic for Medics, Alchemists, and Sovereigns... Which means I'm gonna have to kill Wyvern three more times after this. Why three? See below.

Wyvern Spear (+223 ATK, +40 HP, +40 TP) is made from 1 Paralyzed Wing. Yeah, this is the only time in the entire game that a conditional makes two different weapons. It's Tyler's best spear, so I'll grab it for him when I have the patience to kill Wyvern three more times.

Kazakiri (+233 ATK, +5 AGI) is made from 1 Wyvern Talon. It's not Asriel's best katana, but it's a hell of a lot better than anything else I'll be getting for a while.

Next time: unlocking the depths of the Forbidden Wood by killing Golem.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Pre-Update 57: Golem pre-fight overview

Golem
HP: 18000, STR: 60, TEC: 54, VIT: 57, AGI: 33, LUC: 47
Skills:
  • Rock Hammer: Uses the arms. Deals 120% melee STR-based Bash damage to one party member, with splash damage. Has a 70% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Triple Hammer: Uses the arms. Deals 3 instances of 90% melee STR-based Bash damage to random targets. Can hit the same target multiple times. Has a 70% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Power of Stone: Uses the arms. Deals melee STR-based Bash damage to the party. Damage depends on how many times Golem has casted it: 80%, 120%, 180%, 270%, 405%, 620%, 930%. Increases Golem's physical damage for 4 turns. The damage buff depends on how many times Golem has casted Power of Stone: 30%, 40%, 50%, 60%, 70%, 80%, 90%. Has a 50% speed modifier and 120 base accuracy.
  • Power Wall: Uses the arms. Increases Golem's physical defense by 70% for 6 turns. Has a 120% speed modifier.
  • Force Wall: Uses the arms. Increases Golem's elemental defense by 70% for 6 turns. Has a 120% speed modifier.
  • Flash: Uses the head. Attempts to inflict blind on the party, with a 70% base chance. Has no speed modifier.
  • Endure: Used when Golem first hits 0 HP. Prevents Golem from dying, and restores 9000 HP.
Drops:
  • Normal: Statue Shard. 100% chance. Sells for 16800 en. 1 needed to make Breaker (+169 ATK, +30 HP).
    "Golem piece that is harder than a boulder. One can sense the Golem's power from just holding this shard."
  • Conditional: Statue Arm (Kill while arms are bound). 100% chance. Sells for 35000 en. 1 needed to make Meteor Axe (+238 ATK, +50 HP, +5 VIT).
    "Statue arm fixed in place by its joint. Made from a boulder, it's lethal already."
Damage resistances:
75% 75% 75% 125% 125% 125%
Disable resistances:
50% 75% 25% 25% 50% 75% 50%
0% 0% 10%
75% 25% 75%

An ancient construct, whose purpose was long forgotten. Disturb it at your own risk...

Golem is such a massive joke that it's almost kind of sad. Notice how literally all of his skills, except for Flash, use the arms, and how little HP he has, even when factoring Endure into account. He doesn't even really hit that hard, unless you screw up and let Power of Stone get to 3 or more casts.

He's such a massive joke that I'm not even gonna type up specific descriptions for each character. I'm sure you can easily guess that elemental damage dealers are kings/queens here--although, frankly, the only characters we have that have to rely solely on physical damage, with no viable options for elemental damage, are Freyja and Asriel.

I will say, however:

Sophie is being forced. I am getting that conditional.

Anyway, categories:

Damage dealers

Zack

Freyja

Stardust

Asriel

Jackie

Tyler

Ranger

Defense

Phoebe

Ursa

Support

Nadia

Realga

Milly

Colette

Rheine

Vote for a maximum of 4 characters, at least one from each category, with a max of two votes for the same character.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.
Jackie, Stardust, Phoebe, Rheine This shouldn't even be a challenge.

shadowofshinra
Apr 12, 2014
Stardust, Ursa, Rheine, Freyja

(I know Freyja is one of the two non-elemental damage dealers but on the other hand, I've seen what she and Sophie can do with binds and those resistances aren't too terrible).

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Tyler, Phoebe, Colette, Milly

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Stardust, Tyler, Phoebe, Colette

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Stardust, Jackie, Phoebe, Rheine

I was going to vote for a party with no elemental damage whatsoever but decided I want to see this group instead. I wanna see these rocks burn.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

I'm Doctor Shibbo, and this is Jackass.
Nap Ghost
Freyja, Stardust, Phoebe, Realga

MoeGuitarist
May 1, 2016
Milly, Stardust, Jackie, Ursa. Its true that Golem's ridiculously easy, may as well finish it as quickly as possible :v

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Realga, Ursa, Tyler, Jackie.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Zack, Stardust, Phoebe, Rheine

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Zack, Pheobe, Rheine, Rheine. Go ahead. Use Ad Nihilo. :unsmigghh:

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Current results are:

quote:

Phoebe: 7
Stardust: 7
Jackie: 4

Tyler: 3
Ursa: 3
Colette: 2
Freyja: 2
Realga: 2
Milly: 2
Zack: 2

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Tyler, Tyler, Phoebe, Milly

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 21, 2016

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Rheine, Colette, Stardust, Ursa

How did I miss a whole update

AweStriker fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 21, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

You're missing some vital info for Power of Stone. Golem only casts it when it has no buffs. Also the duration starts at 9 turns, but it decreases every time the skill is used. Another thing to note is that Power of Stone applies 3 instances of the buff to Golem on the first cast, 2 instances on the second. And only 1 on the third. While the fight is easy, it's also a bear trap for people thinking they can just dispel the buffs easily with Ad Nihilo or Metopons. Canceling the buffs with debuffs is safer, since they will only cancel out one instance of the buff.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Dr. Fetus posted:

Zack, Pheobe, Rheine, Rheine. Go ahead. Use Ad Nihilo. :unsmigghh:

#Killallgolems

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

Dr. Fetus posted:

Go ahead. Use Ad Nihilo. :unsmigghh:

I did that the first time. Actually, roughly the first seven or so times before Ragnar told me what was up. I'm sure you know how well those runs turned out.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Tyler, Jackie, Phoebe, Rheine

Let's make a magical stone robot look bad.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Tyler, Zack, Phoebe, Rheine

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Tyler, Phoebe, Realga, and Jackie

I remember this fight in the original game. I had just retired my team, so they were all level 30 when I went to do this quest, not realizing that there was a boss fight. I still won.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
If the Wyvern had the gun in its teeth, does that mean Burning Ray was it pulling the trigger with its tongue? Because that would be incredible.

Efe posted:

Jackie, Stardust, Phoebe, Rheine

Domo arigatou, Mr. Roboto.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

Junpei posted:

I re-read the Alchemist skill guide, and I had an idea:

Could a Palm skill force Riot Formula to be a certain damage type? If you've tested this, tell us. If not, try it out!

I just tested it, and yes. I tried it about seven times in a row before I was satisfied with my results, and got Riot Formula to consistently deal Ice damage by using Ice Palm before it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

It was said in the Alchemist discussion that Palms force the next attack to be a certain element.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Dr. Fetus posted:

It was said in the Alchemist discussion that Palms force the next attack to be a certain element.

That's not the point. The point is that it makes RF even better by making sure you hit the weakness!

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

Junpei posted:

That's not the point. The point is that it makes RF even better by making sure you hit the weakness!

It was an interesting thing to test, and something I hadn't considered until now. Unfortunately, I crunched the numbers, and I think it still loses in average damage per turn to Compression with an all-target Formula, even with all the necessary passives taken into account. It's also incredibly more costly on the TP side and requires a much larger skill point investment, so it doesn't have that going for it either. The only advantage I can see off the top of my head is keeping a buff slot open, but Compression is such a strong buff that you'd typically want that anyway. That being said, I do appreciate the effort to find some creative use out of a questionable skill. Maybe if you had a Palm Alchemist, you could get a level 10 Riot Formula grimoire and use that, since the Palm skills themselves don't cost too much TP, even when maxed out.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Riot Formula is only worth it if you are using a Palm Alchemist. It is terrible for a compression Alch.

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Tyler, Tyler, Phoebe, Colette.

I just want to see Tyler help kill a few more things so he has more heroic acts to his actual name instead of just being in the same guild as the people who did the big shot stuff. I SYMPATHIZE WITH HIS BACKSTORY, OKAY.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Voting is closed. Final results:

quote:

Phoebe: 14
Rheine: 12
Tyler: 10
Stardust: 9

Jackie: 7
Ursa: 4
Colette: 4
Zack: 4
Milly: 3
Realga: 3
Freyja: 2

The winning party is Phoebe, Tyler, Stardust, Sophie, Rheine.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 57: Craggy Exterior

Aw YEAH! I may be a hero (by association), but I still haven't been at this fer a while! C'mon, let's go see what the bird man was talkin' about.
I see someone keeps up with the latest happenings in our exploration.
You think we'll get to fight a monster today? I could go for some dessert.
Maybe, maybe not. You never know with the Labyrinth.
I trust I can get back to my break after this?

Golem is going to have a bad time against this party.

I bought Tyler and Rheine their ultimate weapons. For Tyler's skill build, I'm still just getting basically-random passives on him.

I also have the Attack Item Up food on, for maximum Stardust damage.

Incidentally, I love how the Forbidden Wood looks at night.

In the original EO2, due to limitations of the DS and the engine, the Forbidden Wood at night just looked like it had a slight black filter tossed on it.

Ye gods. I feel like I could just reach out n' grab a star.

In EO2U, the skybox changes to a sky full of stars, and the fog changes to this really pleasant dark blue.

SYSTEM: You feel as though you are being watched by someone... A sword is on the far side of the room. Its blade pierces the ground, and a strange magical circle has been formed around it... As you gaze upon the sword, the chief of the winged ones appears with the Foul Grail.

SYSTEM: With these words, Canaan looks around and lifts the Foul Grail.
The guidance of the Star says that the End-Bringer awaits in the depths of the Forbidden Wood. Our god's last instructions were to open the forbidden door and put an end to this land.
Wait, yeh're gonna do WHAT?!
Sir Canaan, if you intend to summon this End-Bringer, we will not hesitate to strike you down...
But do not misunderstand me... We do not wish everything to end, as our god had commanded. If there is such a threat beyond this place... I thought that we who know of its existence must rid the wood of it, for our people's future. Our teachings are law, and we have followed these precepts since ancient times... But in the absence of our god, might we seize this chance to change? I would say yes.
Good choice.
Even with such a fearsome threat... I know that Lumen can...
SYSTEM: Canaan trails off and stares at you intently. After a long silence, he speaks curtly:
The time has come to open the Forbidden Door!
SYSTEM: Canaan lifts the Foul Grail and chants in an avian language you are unable to comprehend. His voice gradually increases in volume until the ground and the air seem to tremble...

It is done. The Forbidden Door has been opened. All you must do now is pull out the sword, and the way forward will be clear.
Thanks for your help!
SYSTEM: His expression grows pained, and he continues in a hushed tone.
But be careful... Even I know not what lies beyond!
SYSTEM: The chief blesses your journey before leaving the area. You may examine the sword in front of you, or return to it once you are better prepared.
Everyone we talk to seems to have this weird tendency to end conversations with us by saying something ominous...
Eh, whatever. C'mon, that sword looks pretty invitin'.

SYSTEM: It is driven deep into the ground, piercing the magical circle.
C'mon, Tyler, pull it!
Gimme a sec... Gah!
SYSTEM: You take hold of the sword's hilt, and the blade pulls freely from the earth. Immediately afterward, the magic circle lets out a shockwave, causing you to drop the sword!

Something tells me there's a giant monster behind us.
SYSTEM: Your explorer's sense tells you that a dangerous fiend is headed in your direction... The sense of malice is so strong that you are frozen in place, and can barely duck in time!

SYSTEM: There's no time now to chase after the lost sword--you must fight for your lives!

Heh, y' think yeh're any match fer us? Bring it on!
...Is that thing just made of rock? My teeth hurt already...

:siren: VIDEO: Boss Fight: Golem :siren:

Watch this video if you want to see a dunk of massive proportions--I'd even go so far as to call it a Chaos Dunk.

A quick refresher on Golem's stats:

quote:

Golem
HP: 18000, STR: 60, TEC: 54, VIT: 57, AGI: 33, LUC: 47
Skills:
  • Rock Hammer: Uses the arms. Deals 120% melee STR-based Bash damage to one party member, with splash damage. Has a 70% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Triple Hammer: Uses the arms. Deals 3 instances of 90% melee STR-based Bash damage to random targets. Can hit the same target multiple times. Has a 70% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Power of Stone: Only used if Golem has no buffs. Uses the arms. Deals melee STR-based Bash damage to the party. Damage depends on how many times Golem has casted it: 80%, 120%, 180%, 270%, 405%, 620%, 930%. Increases Golem's physical damage for 4 turns. The damage buff depends on how many times Golem has casted Power of Stone: 30%, 40%, 50%, 60%, 70%, 80%, 90%. Has a 50% speed modifier and 120 base accuracy.
  • Power Wall: Uses the arms. Increases Golem's physical defense by 70% for 6 turns. Has a 120% speed modifier.
  • Force Wall: Uses the arms. Increases Golem's elemental defense by 70% for 6 turns. Has a 120% speed modifier.
  • Flash: Uses the head. Attempts to inflict blind on the party, with a 70% base chance. Has no speed modifier.
  • Endure: Used when Golem first hits 0 HP. Prevents Golem from dying, and restores 9000 HP.
Drops:
  • Normal: Statue Shard. 100% chance. Sells for 16800 en. 1 needed to make Breaker (+169 ATK, +30 HP).
    "Golem piece that is harder than a boulder. One can sense the Golem's power from just holding this shard."
  • Conditional: Statue Arm (Kill while arms are bound). 100% chance. Sells for 35000 en. 1 needed to make Meteor Axe (+238 ATK, +50 HP, +5 VIT).
    "Statue arm fixed in place by its joint. Made from a boulder, it's lethal already."
Damage resistances:
75% 75% 75% 125% 125% 125%
Disable resistances:
50% 75% 25% 25% 50% 75% 50%
0% 0% 10%
75% 25% 75%

An ancient construct, whose purpose was long forgotten. Disturb it at your own risk...

This is the only thing Phoebe will do for the entire fight.

Tyler's starting action in any fight will always be Delayed Charge.

Yep.

Sophie's going to open most fights from here on out with Creeping Curse and Madness Curse.

This is the only thing Rheine is going to do with Victory Vow.

That rock's not gonna break this shield.

Crush this overgrown boulder!

Ow, ow, my teeth, ow, ow!

I don't care if yeh're made 'a rock, my spear'll pierce y' still!

Pff.

I'm not enabling Hero Battle yet--I want Tyler to have it when Delayed Charge goes off.

This is gonna be explosive.

I want Sophie to bind Golem's arms, so she can use Black Mist next turn.

And now Rheine's just going to use Link Order.

I hope Realga knows how to treat teeth...

I need to purchase these jars in bulk before I go back to work. If only I'd known about them before...

Yeah, Golem's not long for this world.

Tyler's spiffy new Wyvern Spear helps with his usual damage problem.

Delayed Charge is now at 2 turns until it's ready, so I enable Hero Battle on Tyler.

My plan went perfectly.

That supposed t' hurt? Try harder!

Like this!

Binding Golem's head will reduce his TEC, making Stardust and Rheine deal even more damage.

There's a reason I used Black Mist instead of Cranial Curse for the last Creeping Curse action, and that's because Golem only has 75% resistance to head binds.

Well, that was disappoint--

Oh, good, I was hoping for an actual challenge.

Golem restores half its HP upon its first death.

Too bad basically 1/3 of that heal is gone already.

Nuh-uh.

Even against a 75% Stab resistance, this is gonna hurt.

Compression ran out, but honestly, even a standard Thor Formula will be enough to kill Golem here. Plus, it'll trigger Link Order.

Told yeh my spear'd hurt!

The lead-in...

And the follow-up!

And I thought Wyvern was ludicrously easy. Jesus.

SYSTEM: You have mastered your fear and defeated the guardian of the forest of the gods! Still reveling in your victory, you approach the sword you dropped earlier and pick it up. The sword is rusted brown and hardly looks suitable to be wielded...
What kinda reward is this?
SYSTEM: Nevertheless, you brush off the dust and put it with your belongings before taking your leave of the area.

So, uh, now what? What did this do?
Perhaps that shimmering spot at the start of the floor is functional now?
It's as good a bet as any. Let's go try it!

Another point in Curb ATK Up for Sophie.

:siren: :siren:

Gasser Tree
HP: 817, STR: 52, TEC: 39, VIT: 42, AGI: 26, LUC: 47
Skills:
  • Toxic Breath: Uses the head. Attempts to inflict poison on the party, with a 70% base chance and 100 base poison damage (around 170 adjusted for level). Has an 80% speed modifier.
  • Poison Sap: Used upon death. Uses the head. Inflicts poison on all enemies, with 200 base poison damage (around 500 adjusted for level). Only checks for immunity; if an enemy is not immune to poison, it will be poisoned.
Drops:
  • Normal: Squirming Vine. 50% chance. Sells for 1100 en. 5 needed to make Gaia Axe (+165 ATK). 2 Squirming Vines and 10 Mossy Shells needed to make Partizan (+160 ATK). 3 Squirming Vines and 3 Blue Skulls needed to make Field Armor (+80 DEF).
    "Tendril-like vine that moves after being cut. It writhes around when you aren't watching."
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 150% 100% 100%
Disable resistances:
100% 0% 100% 100% 50% 100% 100%
100% 100% 50%
50% 100% 100%

A tree that grows deep in the forest and emits toxins all around to mark its territory.

Gasser Trees can be a terrifying sight if your party is low on HP, and are nuisances at worst otherwise. Poison Sap might be confusing, but it's intentionally designed to screw you over--there's several enemies with at-low-HP or on-death effects in the 6th Stratum, which Poison Sap is designed to trigger.

Ancient Hermit
HP: 12, STR: 40, TEC: 39, VIT: 37, AGI: 30, LUC: 38
Skills:
  • Ancient Guard: Uses the head. Increases all enemies' physical/elemental defense by 50% for 4 turns. Has a 60% speed modifier.
Drops:
  • Normal: Mossy Shell. 60% chance. Sells for 2180 en. 1 needed to make Sage Wand (+119 ATK, +40 TP, +5 TEC). 3 needed to make Ancient Shield (+54 DEF). 2 Squirming Vines and 10 Mossy Shells needed to make Partizan (+160 ATK).
    "Time has made it extremely resilient. Its assorted trees are popular as decoration."
  • Conditional: Polished Shell (Kill with Cut/Stab/Bash damage). 60% chance. Sells for 2430 en. 1 needed to make Four-Leaf Clover (25% chance for new Grimoires to be level 10).
    "Shell made tougher through physical shocks. It's said a lucky leaf grows on this shell."
  • Ingredient: Shut Shell. 1 given. 1 needed to make Hermit Sugata-zukuri (Japanese Food 6; Fire, Ice, and Volt Jars become infinite use).
    "Shut in even after death."
Damage resistances:
0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0%
Disable resistances:
200% 200% 200% 200% 200% 200% 200%
100% 100% 100%
100% 100% 100%

A crab that has lived for ages in its highly durable shell.

Ancient Hermits are an annoyance solely because they can buff other enemies' defense. The only other notable thing about them is that they have 0% resistance to all damage types--even Almighty--meaning that every attack (except for Gae Bolg) will deal 1-3 damage to them.

Also, for them, Poison Sap is designed specifically to deny you their conditional.

Oogh... I dunno if eating a poison tree was the best idea...

The hell's with that thing's shell?! My spear bounces right off it!

My matches didn't faze it, either!

Boink.

A'ight, who's ready to step on this thing?

Oh, great, teleporters.

Yep. The recurring theme of the 6th Stratum is teleporters. Get used to them, and get used to my ugly-rear end way of mapping them later on.

Also, shortcuts in the 6th Stratum look like that.

Here's some things.

Meteor Axe (+238 ATK, +50 HP, +5 VIT) is made from 1 Statue Arm. I'll buy Phoebe one of these in a bit.

Sage Wand (+119 ATK, +40 TP, +5 TEC) is unlocked by selling 1 Mossy Shell.

Breaker (+169 ATK, +30 HP) is unlocked by selling 1 Statue Shard. I buy Ursa one, since she always appreciates more HP.

Ancient Shield (+54 DEF) is unlocked by selling 3 Mossy Shells.

Four-Leaf Clover (25% chance for new Grimoires to be max level for 1 turn) is made from 1 Polished Shell.

Next time: The Great Gonzales vs. Rawk Hawk!

...Okay, fine, Guild Lumen vs. Master Bird.

Rea fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jun 22, 2016

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Pre-Update 58: Master Bird pre-fight overview

Master Bird
HP: 30000, STR: 82, TEC: 61, VIT: 55, AGI: 54, LUC: 58
Skills:
  • Dread Stare: Uses the head. Reduces the party's physical attack by 30% for 4 turns. Attempts to inflict fear on the party, with a 50% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier.
  • Chi Burst: Uses the legs. Deals 200% melee STR-based Bash damage to one party member. Attempts to inflict paralysis on the target, with a 60% base chance. Has no speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Phoenix Strike: Uses the arms. Deals 300% melee STR-based Cut damage to one target, with splash damage. Attempts to bind hit targets' heads, with a 30% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Crimson Cyclone: Uses the arms. Deals 4-6 instances of 350% ranged TEC-based Fire damage to random targets. Can hit the same target multiple times. Has a 60% speed modifier and 200 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Macho Plumage. 100% chance. Sells for 15000 en. 1 needed to make Fullface Helm (+1 DEF, +8 STR, -30% all damage and disable resistances, can be equipped by Beasts).
    "Plumage from a talking chicken. It flinches when you pluck it, so you kind of feel bad."
Damage resistances:
100% 125% 100% 50% 100% 125%
Disable resistances:
50% 75% 0% 0% 50% 50% 0%
0% 0% 10%
50% 25% 25%

The great chicken of legend, the enlightened master of several styles of martial arts.

Master Bird comes down to "can you keep him from one-shotting your core party members, and kill him before Crimson Cyclone comes out." That's legitimately all there is to the fight. Being able to bind his head at the start to stop Dread Stare is nice, but not required.

I'm not forcing anyone for this fight, so pick whoever you want, with the following advice in mind:

• Stab and Volt damage reign supreme here--this includes Nadia, Stardust, Jackie, Rheine, Tyler, and Ranger
  • At least some way to disable the Master Bird, either blind or binds, is extremely preferred
  • 82 STR is a lot--it puts even the Master Bird's normal attacks in the 400-500 range against most of our guild, which is one-shot range
  • Barrier will stop Dread Stare for about half the party

Damage dealers: Zack, Freyja, Stardust, Asriel, Jackie, Tyler, Ranger
Defense: Phoebe, Ursa
Support: Nadia, Realga, Milly, Sophie, Colette, Rheine

Vote for a maximum of four characters, at least one from each category, with a max of two votes per character.

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
Zack, Phoebe, Nadia, Milly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadowofshinra
Apr 12, 2014
Ranger, Nadia, Phoebe, Freyja

• Locked thread