Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

heres a real brt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

fart simpson posted:

heres a real brt

that's cool

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pointsofdata posted:

that should be a train

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
looks like they forgot to put the rails down tbh

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

BRTs popularity is due to the cost per rear end moved formula, but big investments in hugue flyovers or tunnels makes that formula not as favorable. all of the construction costs with none of the capacity or environmental benefits, basically

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
that's a terrible exaggeration

a dedicated busway is as reliable as a train, and people will actually choose to ride it for reasons other than poverty/desperation

yes it's very expensive to build, but it's cheap to operate and they work well

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

also with dedicated busways you can expand transit organically with the same fleet of vehicles to buy/maintain

bonus points if you electrify your dedicated brt rights of way and use buses that can run both on electricity and fuel so the same fleet can serve smaller streets that don't make any sense to electrify

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that's a terrible exaggeration

a dedicated busway is as reliable as a train, and people will actually choose to ride it for reasons other than poverty/desperation

yes it's very expensive to build, but it's cheap to operate and they work well

i didnt say they worked poorly, i said it gives away the primary benefit to running a BRT system in the first place, being construction costs, which is why you dont see too many huge investments in BRT like that in the western world

really in the US, a 'big BRT' system like that wont even get through the alternatives analysis in the EIR. youll either end up building something smaller/cheaper as BRT or slightly more expensive as LRT

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
in the u.s. hardly any transit projects are worthwhile

they poo poo out useless at-grade light rail systems that cost a fortune, and "dedicated" bus lanes that cost nothing but also don't improve service enough to matter

the only dedicated ROW project i know of right now is LA's "light rail." does it really count as "light" rail if it is on a dedicated ROW and will actually have ridership and runs at more than 5 mph? lol

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the only dedicated ROW project i know of right now is LA's "light rail." does it really count as "light" rail if it is on a dedicated ROW and will actually have ridership and runs at more than 5 mph? lol

you can have a dedicated/independent ROW and run at-grade, including at-grade road crossings. all LA light rail except the Green Line is in that category

if you mean fully grade separated, currently under construction is the BART extension, the 2nd ave subway in NYC, the purple line subway in LA, the 200th st, northgate, and lynwood extensions in Seattle, silver line extension in DC, the Honolulu HART, and some of the denver lines i think. i might be missing some

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Cygni posted:

you can have a dedicated/independent ROW and run at-grade, including at-grade road crossings. all LA light rail except the Green Line is in that category

if you mean fully grade separated, currently under construction is the BART extension, the 2nd ave subway in NYC, the purple line subway in LA, the 200th st, northgate, and lynwood extensions in Seattle, silver line extension in DC, the Honolulu HART, and some of the denver lines i think. i might be missing some

those are some drat nice transit facts son

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
we're building a mixed grade-separated (tunneled)/at-grade dedicated row lrt line for our eglinton crosstown line here in toronto. it's tunneled in the city core but at grade with at grade crossings (with signal priority, of course) outside of that.

for some reason the original plan stops 2km short of the city's western edge, the airport, and connections to mississauga, our largest neighbour. so there's an extension plan in the works, but it's unlikely to be finished before something like 2025

the original plan to replace the rickety-rear end SRT out in scarberia also included at-grade dedicated row lrt. that's been changed a dozen times and the current officially unofficial "plan" is to spend three billion dollars to build a one-stop subway extension to a mall.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

mishaq posted:

those are some drat nice transit facts son

thanks my man, i got lots more over here cause the thing about transit is that its cool but also good

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Cygni posted:

heres an old documentary about all the cool old transit systems in the bay area. gonna be fun having to spend billions to rebuild all this over my lifetime cause cars are bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObOLGzSnNHI

v. cool

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Cygni posted:

thanks my man, i got lots more over here cause the thing about transit is that its cool but also good

:yeah:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cygni posted:

you can have a dedicated/independent ROW and run at-grade, including at-grade road crossings.
sure. if you're an idiot you can do poo poo at grade

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cygni posted:

i like things that are cool & good

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
https://twitter.com/dwresearch/status/745385774204489729

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

looks about right. i drove home and parked in what seemed to be the peak of the storm and stepped out into ankle-deep running water

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

some day the CTA is supposed to extend the red line past 95th, or so they keep promising

seeing as it's mostly black people down there I'm not confident it's ever going to happen

they closed down the entire red line south of Roosevelt for renovations a couple years back

when they did the same improvements on the north side they were magically able to route around it and do it mostly on weekends

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

what exactly is wmata supposed to do about flash flooding to "unsuck"

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

mishaq posted:

doesn't the NYC subway just Deal With It regularly? I seem to recall reading that water in the subways there is just a thing

water pouring into the underground parts of the Chicago L is pretty uncommon though, I can't recall it happening even in amazingly torrential downpours

blizzards tend to be different, though. http://www.chicago-l.org/mishaps/blizzard79.html

the last blizzard we had went pretty well though, I was riding it around during it and it was all "whatevs" but I was on proper elevated parts of it; a good amount of the blue line runs more-or-less "at grade" in the median of the interstate

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

well, whatevs, excepting all the snow that blew into the car at every stop

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Torontonians here's an an article to make you feel better about your crappy transit system

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-toronto-transit-getting-around-20160619-column.html

chicago's mayor is bad, but illinois's governor is worse

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i like how people are just going about their business like welp, escalator is a river again eh? at least we got lebron bryce harper!

(wrong cleveland)

Cygni fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 22, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mishaq posted:

nothing. unsuckdcmetro is just a lovely Twitter that complains about anything possible regardless of whether it's something that's actually wmata's fault or not.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Tatsujin posted:

on the topic of 24 hour transit, that actually got me in trouble recently. im so used to blackout me stumbling onto a bus or train and knowing how to get home back in chicago, but im currently in san antonio and decided to go to a pool party/bbq over in austin. long story short blackout me couldnt change back into street clothes because the party got shut down so without phone/wallet I stumbled onto the metrotrain and ended up in Leander. By the time I sobered up I was trying to get back to Austin and sure enough the local cops threw my rear end into wilco county jail. gently caress wilco county

Half-naked, drunk out of my mind, in the wrong city, no ID, and no friends, and these loving pigs had the NERVE to give me a cell to sober up in!

e: suck my dick oxford comma

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 22, 2016

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Tatsujin posted:

on the topic of 24 hour transit, that actually got me in trouble recently. im so used to blackout me stumbling onto a bus or train and knowing how to get home back in chicago, but im currently in san antonio and decided to go to a pool party/bbq over in austin. long story short blackout me couldnt change back into street clothes because the party got shut down so without phone/wallet I stumbled onto the metrotrain and ended up in Leander. By the time I sobered up I was trying to get back to Austin and sure enough the local cops threw my rear end into wilco county jail. gently caress wilco county

hi my favorite transit-anger: Austin Light Rail

aka they had a chance to do something to deal with both their massive drunk driving problem and traffic issues but LOL NOPE

I talked to a cop while riding one once about their opinion of it getting people off the streets or at least reducing the number of dangerous miles driven/pushing them out into less populated areas and his response was 'yeah I don't get what you're talking about and we don't care'

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

wow look at this guy trying to find an empathetic cop anywhere in texas

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Progressive JPEG posted:

wow look at this guy trying to find an empathetic cop anywhere

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

wow look at this guy wasting his life in a terrible state like texas

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN

Jimmy Carter posted:

hi my favorite transit-anger: Austin Light Rail

aka they had a chance to do something to deal with both their massive drunk driving problem and traffic issues but LOL NOPE

I talked to a cop while riding one once about their opinion of it getting people off the streets or at least reducing the number of dangerous miles driven/pushing them out into less populated areas and his response was 'yeah I don't get what you're talking about and we don't care'

so basically it was a combo of:

- me shirtless (also no id no phone)
- I didnt know where the gently caress I was (I remember blackout me getting on the train, but since I didn't have a phone I had no idea where I was)
- I'm not from 'round here

that was enough sass points for the local cop to toss me in jail. the funny part is that if i walked 30 minutes down the toll road I would have ended up in travis county where travis county sheriffs or round rock pd would have actually tried to help me

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Imagine how outraged you would be to find out that uncaring Texas cops had released some shirtless, homeless, lost drunk to walk down the highway to the nearest jurisdiction in the middle of the night. "Nobody cares about the mentally ill in this country! If he had been some rich white boy he'd have been chauffeured to the police station for coffee and a phone call!"

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
I guess that's true, I mean I am white. the best part about jail was the clearly manic dude who hit his g/f getting upset when they wouldn't tell him right away what he was charged with

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://medium.com/@adamsusaneck/bay-area-2050-the-bart-metro-map-ab83b22d3d8b#.3g21up8lx

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/06/24/transit-boondoggle-unfolding-before-our-eyes-james.html

quote:

How do you trust a mayor who looks you in the eye to say he’s saving you money by backing a new subway that just went up in cost by a billion dollars, or more than 30 per cent?

Do you scream at the prospect of paying $3 billion to extend the subway just one stop?

What do you say to him, considering this boondoggle will cost you and your neighbours $1,300 each in a special levy lasting 30 years?

Do you break down and cry when you recall the $3 billion subway is to replace the aging Scarborough RT that could have been made state-of-the-art, like Vancouver’s Canada Line, for less than $1 billion?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

if you read the words 'boondoggle' or 'millennial', you legally have to stop reading the post or article

its the law, and you just broke the law by reading past it above. congrats youre a criminal now youre going to jail pal

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

no he's cool, the thing being discussed is the literal definition of boondoggle

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

is it bad to switch to drive when you are still rolling backwards? if you hold down the brake and gas at the same time while at a stoplight what does it wear out on the car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

lampey posted:

is it bad to switch to drive when you are still rolling backwards?

God, yes. You're hammering the teeth on your first gear with some multiple of the force of an entire car rolling backward.

quote:

if you hold down the brake and gas at the same time while at a stoplight what does it wear out on the car?

You will probably gently caress up your power train first but it puts undue stress on pretty much the entire system from engine to brakes.

• Locked thread