Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It was absolutely terrible but I don't think England were the ones really responsible for that.

It would be nice if we had some wingers we could have brought on to try something different rather than trying to thread the ball through 10 of them in the centre over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Don't bite Ninpo. That guy is a racist troll who doesn't know anything about football he just wants to get a reaction out of people. Sad.

yeah but what about african aids cum??

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I stopped watching the game at 75 minutes last night because it was loving boring as hell so I went to have a poo instead.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Frankston posted:

I stopped watching the game at 75 minutes last night because it was loving boring as hell so I went to have a poo instead.

How was it?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Sloppy, stunk, and left me feeling somewhat unclean.

Oh, you mean the poo :haw:

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
My only real complaint was that Wilshere didn't go off sooner. Rooney is much better at making runs into the box, the delivery on corners improved when he came on and once Slovakia realised Wilshere could be bullied off the ball he had much less impact on the match.

I do think Rashford should have come on instead of Kane but perhaps I'm biased. I'm not entirely sure why Sturridge was subbed off for Kane, his approach play was pretty good.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Vardy should've really come off sooner. He can't do poo poo when 11 men are parked behind the ball in their own half. Only had space to run in the first 20 minutes or so

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Vardy should've really come off sooner. He can't do poo poo when 11 men are parked behind the ball in their own half. Only had space to run in the first 20 minutes or so

Yeah Slovakia seemed to realise pretty quick if they went for the win they'd end up losing with the space Vardy and Sturridge had early on, then the bus got parked and we've no wingers.

I thought Clyne played really, really well though up until they put two left backs on him lol

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
The best way to score against a parked bus is a header from a cross. Unfortunately the crossing was fairly horrible all night long and sturridge played too deep so when corbers came jbto to tbe six yard box they were just headed away hnder no pressur eby martin fuxking skrtl. Also you have to think hendo has played his last game for england hes crap, skincare contract or no.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

Breath Ray posted:

The best way to score against a parked bus is a header from a cross. Unfortunately the crossing was fairly horrible all night long and sturridge played too deep so when corbers came jbto to tbe six yard box they were just headed away hnder no pressur eby martin fuxking skrtl. Also you have to think hendo has played his last game for england hes crap, skincare contract or no.

Should've brought Big Andy imo

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
I'm happy because now we get to make Ronaldo cry even harder in the next game. Rooney finally gets his revenge on the dirty winker.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Can't wait for England to meet a decent team.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I'd quite like to see who comes out on top in a cunting contest between Vardy and Pepe

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Carvalho (sp?)

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Ninpo posted:

My only real complaint was that Wilshere didn't go off sooner. Rooney is much better at making runs into the box, the delivery on corners improved when he came on and once Slovakia realised Wilshere could be bullied off the ball he had much less impact on the match.

I do think Rashford should have come on instead of Kane but perhaps I'm biased. I'm not entirely sure why Sturridge was subbed off for Kane, his approach play was pretty good.

Like I said (somewhere), I would have put Rashford or Sterling on for one of the midfielders (probably Henderson). There was no pace down the left and we really didn't need to be playing three CMs against a team who had no intent to attack.

I really don't understand why, in a game where you are resting players for the knockouts, you leave the player who doesn't ever finish the full ninety because he's knackered. Lallana would have been a great impact sub 60 minutes on, his quick feet could have unlocked a tiring Slovakian defence. Instead we took him off and replaced him with Alli, who decided to contribute to the "smash it from thirty yards" tactic everyone else were trying.

Roy got his subs wrong, again. I'm beginning to think Wales was the exception rather than the rule.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Slovakia parked the bus and threw everyone at the ball when England took shots, they played for the draw and got it.

We're through to the next round, that's the main thing and more than we managed at the World Cup.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

JFairfax posted:

Slovakia parked the bus and threw everyone at the ball when England took shots, they played for the draw and got it.

We're through to the next round, that's the main thing and more than we managed at the World Cup.

Yeah, they actually attacked Wales and paid for it and Russia are poo poo.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
In the world cup we played Italy and Uruguay though. I think it's OK not to be able to break teams down like France couldn't against Romania or Albania or Switzerland but you have to ask the question at least and anyone shooting from 30 yards should be shot.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It is the sort of situation that Andy Carrol would be perfect for. Put him in the box, put ball on head.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
No combination of players or tactics will fix this mess. Bad players, bad team. Garbage in, garbage out.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

EvilHawk posted:

Like I said (somewhere), I would have put[..] Sterling on[...]

Let me just stop you there.

JFairfax posted:

It is the sort of situation that Andy Carrol would be perfect for. Put him in the box, put ball on head.

Should have taken Cresswell too to demonstrate to every single player in the squad what a good cross looks like, because I've not seen one in 270+ minutes of football so far.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

African AIDS cum posted:

No combination of players or tactics will fix this mess. Bad players, bad team. Garbage in, garbage out.

Correct.

KFBR392
Jan 21, 2016

by Cowcaster

Josuke Higashikata posted:

why does everything have to go through the right wing? does roy have a contract to make sure the right winger touches the ball in every attack?

The one smart thing England has been doing lately is going right wing.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

All the headlines and commentary today really surprised me. I thought that England did as well as could be expected of them when faced with such a meaty defence. They don't really have the players to squirrel balls through and they aren't good enough in the air. Not conceding was great. The knockout round(s) we'll be involved in will be great fun.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

opus111 posted:

All the headlines and commentary today really surprised me. I thought that England did as well as could be expected of them when faced with such a meaty defence. They don't really have the players to squirrel balls through and they aren't good enough in the air. Not conceding was great. The knockout round(s) we'll be involved in will be great fun.

Really? It was completely predictable. Hodgson made changes and didn't win so inevitable criticism for 'changing a team with momentum'. If we had won, there probably would have been some people saying that it shows how foolish he was for not playing Vardy in the first game.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

dex_sda posted:

With a name like that, I wouldn't bite him either.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

dex_sda posted:

Pleasw don't bully aac he posts exclusively in the autism and ocd video games thread, try to be more tolerant of our visiting spectrum warriors

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

opus111 posted:

You're 100% correct.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
is kick off for the match available yet? just want to know so i don't miss it planning things

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
8pm Monday

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Papers seems to be under the impression that Kane will definitely be back in the starting 11 next game, and probably Sterling.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I am beginning to wonder if a knockout tournament is really the place for squad rotation

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

Skinty McEdger posted:

Papers seems to be under the impression that Kane will definitely be back in the starting 11 next game, and probably Sterling.

Kane, yeah, especially if it's against someone like Iceland. If England have to play Portugal though I'd start Vardy

Sterling shouldn't play again

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
If there's any change from the first two games, it'll be Sturridge in for Kane. Sterling got a full rest so he'll be starting.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
No, you take that back, Sterling was dropped, not rested!

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I was originally thinking it was good man-management by Hodgson, dropping Kane and Sterling but also making a few other changes so he could disguise it as "resting", but then I realised no in fact he was just resting them.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Can't wait to see the lads get stuck into these fish fuckers and get some payback for what they did during the 2008 financial crash.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

its coming home

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Well done on avoiding powerful Portugal boys, seems like it could still be coming home after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I'd rather play against Portugal.

• Locked thread