Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I originally had basically everything bar a couple dragons I don't like and the coloured weapons, but spent the last two months slowly cutting out the things I really didn't need, like the Mythos expansion, Shub Niggurath, Sledgehammer :smith:, fire giants, paints, savage avatars, bonesylvanians, etc. Got it down to pretty much only things I can see a genuine use for in Kings of War or Frostgrave or the upcoming Scifi Frostgrave (Mouslings and Space Mouslings, baby :c00l:), plus not-Tiamat because really, and T'Raukzul because I think he looks like a monster from a 1980s era Godzilla movie which is absolutely my jam.

I persisted with the cemetary expansion through each cut, and I feel vindicated now having seen the photos. It's a tough balance trying to make the most out of the :allbuttons: postage, but this is what I've just locked in:

2015 Core Set x1
Marthrangul x1
Frost Giant Warriors x1
Mystic Circle x1
Kyra and Lavarath x1
StormWing x1
Mouslings x1
Mythical Monsters x1
Goremaw x1
Ma'aldrakar, Dragon Tyrant x1
StoneSkull Expansion x1
Graveyard Expansion x1
Titans of the Tide x1
Space Mouslings x1
Air Elementals x1
T'Raukzul x1
Froghemoth x1
Dagon x1
Frost Giant King & Queen x1
Solar, Angel x1
Clear Kyphrixis x1
Undying Lords x1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I really had to wrestle over Sledgehammer because it is awesome and I love the sculptor, but at the end of the day I have way too many scifi/modern vehicles unassembled and unpainted to feel ok adding another one to the mix. I only justified the dragons and stuff on the basis that I have actually finished all my other fantasy monsters. Hopefully Sledgehammer stays available for retail purchase down the line, so I can get it when I have a reason.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Yeah that's what I'm hoping for as well - Victoria said during the campaign she plans to make a series of alternative parts that fit the base Sledgehammer, so the chances should be good. Hopefully the price doesn't skyrocket too.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Just locked mine in. There's a few bits for friends but it's still gonna be a ton of Bonesium to wade through :)

2015 Core Set x1
Marthrangul x1
Frost Giant Warriors x2
Blackstar Corsairs x1
Mystic Circle x2
ShubNiggurath x1
Mythical Monsters x1
Goremaw x2
Ma'aldrakar, Dragon Tyrant x1
Dagon x1
Orcs x1
Ogres x1
Creepin' Lizards x1
StoneSkull Expansion x1
Mythos Expansion x1
Frost Giant King & Queen x1
Solar, Angel x1
Fire Giant Jailor x1
Fire Giant King & Queen x1
Fire Giant Warrior & Bodyguard x1
Graveyard Expansion x1

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
So when's the next Kickstarter?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Sometime between July and October of this year, I guess. :getin:

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY
As someone new to the hobby I'm looking forward to getting in on the ground floor of the next Bones KS. These things are great for so many reasons.

I really enjoy painting as a form of relaxation and knowing I can get decent looking models for $2-$20 that I don't have to assemble (my least favorite part of the hobby, at least until I start doing conversions) is great, especially when I want to take a break from painting a larger project or something.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I just went to finish out my pledge and the site's security certificate is broken.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I don't have that problem...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Weird, I'll try on my desktop when I get home.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

moths posted:

Weird, I'll try on my desktop when I get home.

Are you on your phone? I've always gotten a cert error from the pledge manager on mine.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I am, it's a chrome browser but it must not interact with their cert the same way.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Cross postin'

NTRabbit posted:

:shroom:OATH COMPLETE:shroom:

Claiming Monster May-hem and WHERE ARE MY DRAGONS? with this Dragon Turtle, all painted up to breath fire. Apologies for the shinyness, but it's not yet varnished as I'm having issues with varnish drying and then un-drying on Bones at the moment. Also keeping his white plastic shoes until I figure out the basing scheme for his army, which won't be soon.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah, you will often find that spray paints, including varnishes, stay slightly tacky on bones. Better to get brush-on if you can.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, you will often find that spray paints, including varnishes, stay slightly tacky on bones. Better to get brush-on if you can.

It is brush on.

I brush on future shine, it dries, I brush on Alclad II Klear Kote Flat, it dries, then weeks later it turns tacky, and it's only happening to Bones minis. Somehow whatever it is that is doing it is leaching through a soapy water scrub, vallejo primer, multiple coats of acrylic paint, and floor polish, in order to muck up the flat varnish.

This is my biggest reservation about Bones right now, because without the varnish the paint rubs off raised surfaces under light touch (you can already see it on the neck), no matter how good the coat of primer.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 1, 2016

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

NTRabbit posted:

It is brush on. I brush on future shine, it dries, I brush on Alclad II Klear Kote Flat, it dries, then weeks later it turns tacky, and it's only happening to Bones minis. Somehow whatever it is that is doing it is leaching through a soapy water scrub, vallejo primer, multiple coats of acrylic paint, and floor polish, in order to muck up the flat varnish.

This is my biggest reservation about Bones right now, because without the varnish the paint rubs off raised surfaces under light touch (you can already see it on the neck), no matter how good the coat of primer.

I use Liquitex matte and satin varnishes over Future, and they tend to work fairly well on Bonesium. I usually spray them through an airbrush, but lately I've been doing a combination of overall spray and brush-on in spots, and that seems to be working so far. You should be able to pick up Liquitex for fairly cheap at your local hobby stores if you want to give it a shot. (Of course, I also do the boil-the-living-poo poo-then-ice-water treatment on all my Bones minis before priming, so maybe that helps with whatever gunk might otherwise leak out?)

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I've been having great results with Vallejo Surface primer brushed onto bones. Right out of the bottle it goes on thin covers well and paint sticks to it great. Once painted I spray on some Testors clear coat and my bones are nearly indestructible afterwards.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Bucnasti posted:

I've been having great results with Vallejo Surface primer brushed onto bones. Right out of the bottle it goes on thin covers well and paint sticks to it great. Once painted I spray on some Testors clear coat and my bones are nearly indestructible afterwards.

Same.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Bucnasti posted:

Thirded. I'm curious about the Badger Stynylrez, though (a product name I was only able to recall how to spell thanks to my autocorrect somehow doing its job for once).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Some dumbness around the phrasing "on June 1" is apparently going on. Hopefully they reopen the PM, I underestimated the number of Yettis I need...

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I don't understand how anyone failed to understand that the pledge manager would be closing today, they have been saying you had 'until June' to lock since the kickstarter closed. I know that sucks for someone who gets their paycheck today, but someone else is getting theirs tomorrow and someone else is getting theirs on Friday. Also, you know, the whole thing has been open since August so how many paychecks did people pass over waiting for the exact final moment.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think this is the confusing passage in the most recent update:

quote:

After June first, nothing new may be added, but until then, you can place as many orders as it takes to get all of the rewards you want

It should have read "After May thirty-first..." but the next paragraph also says to have your stuff locked BY June first. I figured out what they meant, but the vague "then" is really easy to misinterpret.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Bucnasti posted:

I also use vallejo surface primer, and unless I use the most sparing of touches, the paints rubs off the bumps and sharp edges like nobodies business, but only on Bones - don't have anywhere near the same problem on other minis.

Cotton Candidasis
Aug 28, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

I also use vallejo surface primer, and unless I use the most sparing of touches, the paints rubs off the bumps and sharp edges like nobodies business, but only on Bones - don't have anywhere near the same problem on other minis.

I've had that problem, and noticed that after I use washes on the mini, the paint stays on pretty well. I don't use primer on them, though.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Even after clearcoating? I've had paint rub off, but only on models that I didn't finish with a clear coat of some sort.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

My painted bones have been bouncing off each other in a plastic container for awhile now. The only one missing paint is the one I primed and sealed.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Bucnasti posted:

Even after clearcoating? I've had paint rub off, but only on models that I didn't finish with a clear coat of some sort.

That's my point, clear coating stops the paint rubbing off, but right now every time I clear coat a bones model the top flat clear coat melts and turns tacky within a week or so, through half a dozen layers of paint and a layer of tough gloss coat, which is causing me a conundrum.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Anyone used Minwax to dip reaper bones?

If so any advice?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Hey cool, they reopened the pledge manager to accommodate the people who missed it! Looks like I'll be getting the extra Yetis after all...

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I've done no-prime and polyurethane primer (vallejo white), vallejo game color paints and reaper HD paints, liquitex acrylic varnish and testors dullcote. Never any tackiness and only problems with chipping on minis with neither primer nor varnish (especially vallejo paints).

e: these are typically washed and scrubbed in soapy water, dunked in simmering water for reshaping, then set in ice water.

Paolomania fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 2, 2016

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Because I am on a very tight budget, I only had enough money for a few items. Mostly armoury pieces, as I like having a lot of weapon options available for my miniatures.

Arsenal x1
Armory of Virtue x1
Armory of Vice x1
Graveyard Expansion x1
Armory of the Grave x1
Titans of the Tide x1
Mr & Mrs Bones x1
Sophie x1

I do think that the Graveyard Expansion will be absolutely fantastic value for money. There is so much stuff in that one item for use as scenery and extra bits, not to mention the miniatures that come with it. Kind of bummed that they decided to add so many drat skulls to it though - Wanted to get away from the GW aesthetic if I could. Hopefully won't be too hard to remove.

Missed out on getting the Sledgehammer and the Fire Giants (Lords, Bodyguards and Jailer) which bums me out, but that's just how it is I guess.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Since they kept it open for an extra day I figured I'd reward them with more of my money. So I picked up the Dwarf King and Solar extra just for shits and gigs. I wanted to add a smaller dragon but I didn't like most of them.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Shawn posted:

Since they kept it open for an extra day I figured I'd reward them with more of my money. So I picked up the Dwarf King and Solar extra just for shits and gigs. I wanted to add a smaller dragon but I didn't like most of them.

I was on the fence about the Dwarf King, but then I figured, to heck with it, war pugs.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Indolent Bastard posted:

I was on the fence about the Dwarf King, but then I figured, to heck with it, war pugs.

Sadly that was one of the ones I had to cut from my pledge. Budget was tighter than I had expected it to be so I couldn't get all the stuff I was hoping to.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I've been trying to put a dent in my unpainted Bones 1 and 2 models before Bones 3 arrives.

25 down, 3005 to go...

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I think I may have solved my "Bones hate brushed on flat varnish and make it melt" problem. Alclad II Lacquer is mineral spirits based, which I assume is the problem. A couple days before my Bones giants were due for a tournament appearance, I went to the nearest mall looking for answers. The hardware megastore had nothing, so I tried the art and craft store and they had a local product called Derivan Matisse Polymer Matt Varnish, which the label says is a non-yellowing pure acrylic resin suspended in water, that can be watered down for brush consistency. $20 for 250ml, but I got it anyway.

Tried it on my shiny giants, and it dried in about 15 minutes. It's not super flat matt like the lacquer, but it eliminated 95% of the shine and all of the sticky, and so far seems to be holding steady a week later. Seems like it might even be tough enough that I won't need to pledge future shine underneath it in future, just the matt will do.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jun 19, 2016

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

NTRabbit posted:

I think I may have solved my "Bones hate brushed on flat varnish and make it melt" problem. Alclad II Lacquer is mineral spirits based, which I assume is the problem. A couple days before my Bones giants were due for a tournament appearance, I went to the nearest mall looking for answers. The hardware megastore had nothing, so I tried the art and craft store and they had a local product called Derivan Matisse Polymer Matt Varnish, which the label says is a non-yellowing pure acrylic resin suspended in water, that can be watered down for brush consistency. $20 for 250ml, but I got it anyway.

Tried it on my shiny giants, and it dried in about 15 minutes. It's not super flat matt like the lacquer, but it eliminated 95% of the shine and all of the sticky, and so far seems to be holding steady a week later. Seems like it might even be tough enough that I won't need to pledge future shine underneath it in future, just the matt will do.

I had the same problem and ended up solving it with the Army Painter matte varnish, fyi

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Hubis posted:

I had the same problem and ended up solving it with the Army Painter matte varnish, fyi

Can second this. Army painter spray foes on smooth and un-tacky.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

An army painter spray would have cost me $26 plus $9.80 postage, and a week being freighted in the back of a truck because it's illegal to airmail aerosols, so I'm ok with the solution I found, cheers though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

NTRabbit posted:

An army painter spray would have cost me $26 plus $9.80 postage, and a week being freighted in the back of a truck because it's illegal to airmail aerosols, so I'm ok with the solution I found, cheers though

Sure, my point was just I bet the nature of the solution is the same. Good on you for fixing it for cheap.

• Locked thread