Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Xisticide posted:

Boost pressure control system failure according to a 2nd hand translation of a Japanese blog. Fits the loss of turbo with no smoke description.

god drat, that's horrible luck to have that fail at that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Turns out F1 can't compete with Le Mans.

https://twitter.com/adamcooperF1/status/744458871125737472
https://twitter.com/adamcooperF1/status/744459105868275712

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
F1 is NASCAR with a thin veneer of European civilization

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

F1 is NASCAR with a thin veneer of European civilization

please turn in a 30 page paper on this thesis by friday

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

wicka posted:

please turn in a 30 page paper on this thesis by friday

it's just gonna be "gently caress Bernie France Jr. III" over and over

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Hey, NASCAR is international just like F1. They race in Canada, and Mexico that one time. Oh, and Japan that one time!

Better watch out, Bernie.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Ecclestone is still mad his main man Hitler lost the war to those dastardly french.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

To be fair, Bernie was a little unlucky that it all went south at LeMans as the F1s were on their formation lap.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

To be fair, Bernie was a little unlucky that it all went south at LeMans as the F1s were on their formation lap.

I'm also going to go out on a limb and guess that more of the press could easily get visas for France than for Azerbaijan. But the WEC has been on the way up the last few years, so it's not a massive shock.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Has there been any stated reason why they have the scheduling overlap outside of pure F1 ego? I seriously doubt this is literally the only weekend a dictatorship could close its streets for instance.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Goetta posted:

Has there been any stated reason why they have the scheduling overlap outside of pure F1 ego? I seriously doubt this is literally the only weekend a dictatorship could close its streets for instance.

No, IIRC it was literally Bernie's ego and not wanting his drivers to run in LeMans and bring attention to another series.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Goetta posted:

There was some mutterings that it was done on the back of Canada to prevent any human rights stories from building similar to what happened with Bahrain a few years ago.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Bernie is the Vince McMahon of Motorsport

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
There is no reason to run a race on the same day as LeMans and the Indy 500, but Bernie does it anyway.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

julian assflange posted:

Bernie is the undead Vince McMahon of Motorsport

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

There is no reason to run a race on the same day as LeMans and the Indy 500, but Bernie does it anyway.

monaco does not compete with indy's time slot and i think most people agree that the trifecta of monaco/indy/charlotte makes for a fantastic day of racing.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Also Baku started right as Le Mans finished.

The only thing bernie did was prevent someone like Hulkenberg getting more coverage than the F1 race...not realizing that was actually advertising as wel...

Old media moguls need to step the gently caress out of the way, or die.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
People who hate ovals disagree.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Riso posted:

Only idiots hate oval racing.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Riso posted:

a person who hates ovals but enjoys a parade through the paradise of the megarich is not a person you want to listen to

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

wicka posted:

a person who hates ovals but enjoys a parade through the paradise of the megarich is not a person you want to listen to

That's why I only like the megarich enclave when it's raining cats and dogs.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

https://twitter.com/antdavidson/status/744968438641209344

:3:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Norns posted:

Also Baku started right as Le Mans finished.

The only thing bernie did was prevent someone like Hulkenberg getting more coverage than the F1 race...not realizing that was actually advertising as wel...

Old media moguls need to step the gently caress out of the way, or die.

That's a pretty big "only thing," and especially when it seemed like other drivers are/were interested in doing Le Mans alongside a full-time F1 drive. It prevents someone like Hulkenberg from defending his title.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

if you run a race against lemans or indy, whose dates are pretty static, you are a butthole

i know that sucks cuz you only have so many weekends in good weather in a lot of places but thems the breaks

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

wicka posted:

monaco does not compete with indy's time slot and i think most people agree that the trifecta of monaco/indy/charlotte makes for a fantastic day of racing.

You forgot Nurburgring which was fantastic this year also. Greatest racing weekend ever.

However, I agree. Putting F1 on the same weekend as static Lemans is just dumb.

HFX fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 22, 2016

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It's not just static (for the most part), they also confirmed next year's dates on last Sunday. F1 can barely ratify a calendar by December some years. I know it's not a direct comparison, F1 has more moving parts to its scheduling, but come on.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

HFX posted:

You forgot Nurburgring which was fantastic this year also. Greatest racing weekend ever.

However, I agree. Putting F1 on the same weekend as static Lemans is just dumb.

Nurburgring in the hail storm was probably my favorite thing I've watched all year

Kataphract
Oct 15, 2015
Somewhere Toyata dies, Porsche cheers, Ford and Ferrari trade penalties to see who wins, but mighty Fox Sports struck out. You go to sleep, having set the dvr, because you want to watch the whole race in the proper order...and Fox Sports decided to show golf for the last two hours, unannounced. Ruined the greatest finish in Le Mans history. It was Heidi all over again.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Kataphract posted:

Somewhere Toyata dies, Porsche cheers, Ford and Ferrari trade penalties to see who wins, but mighty Fox Sports struck out. You go to sleep, having set the dvr, because you want to watch the whole race in the proper order...and Fox Sports decided to show golf for the last two hours, unannounced. Ruined the greatest finish in Le Mans history. It was Heidi all over again.

Most painful if you wanted a Toyota win! But Ford won, so it balances out.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Cygni posted:

if you run a race against lemans or indy, whose dates are pretty static, you are a butthole

i know that sucks cuz you only have so many weekends in good weather in a lot of places but thems the breaks

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Kataphract posted:

As long as the WEC streams this race I'm never going to deal with the Fox channel dance and commercials every 10 minutes again.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
At first I got onto a Fox stream since it synced up closest with the Radio Le Mans feed. Then I realized that commercials ruin the endurance racing experience. I ultimately paid for the WEC stream, though I lament not being able to stay awake during the final hours for the finish.

One of these years we need to get a goon meet together, somewhere, and just power through the whole 24 together.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Eat ramen for a day and use the savings to purchase the WEC stream

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

WindyMan posted:

One of these years we need to get a goon meet together, somewhere, and just power through the whole 24 together.

I would suggest it being at the Circuit De La Sarthe

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/06/23/toyota-failure-explained.html

quote:

Car #5 suffered a technical defect on a connector on the air line between the turbo charger and the intercooler, causing a loss of turbo charger control. The team attempted to modify the control settings to restore power and this was eventually achieved, allowing the car to complete the final lap. However, it was achieved too late to complete that lap within the required six minutes.

Currently it is not clear exactly why this failure occurred as we have verified the process used to produce the part here in Cologne. Further analysis is required to determine the root cause. It is clear that the issue has no link whatsoever to the engine issues experienced at Spa earlier this season. Comprehensive investigations are underway at TMG to determine the precise reason for this issue with the aim of establishing countermeasures to avoid any repeat in the future.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

kill me now posted:

As long as the WEC streams this race I'm never going to deal with the Fox channel dance and commercials every 10 minutes again.

Same here. I think that $15 I spent on the WEC streaming package for the 2016 race was 1,000,000% worth it and the best $15 I've spent in a LONG time. It's honestly got me highly considering the season package.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

CactusWeasle posted:

I would suggest it being at the Circuit De La Sarthe

I am down with this

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Hello from Pikes Peak! I am at this year's Hillclimb, covering it for Ars Technica and wanted to see if anyone has any questions they want me to ask or cars/teams/drivers they'd like me to talk to etc while I'm here?

Monster Tajima's team and Giti Tires asked me to embed with them for their attempt at the outright victory, but the paddock is even friendlier than your average WEC or IMSA event and people seem happy to chat.

Quite a few interesting EV entries this year. In addition to Tajima-san there's Rhys Millen and his Hankook entry, Acura are here with a basically stock NSX, a pretty heavily modified NSX, and a silhouette car that looks like an NSX but has four motors and torque vectoring (as does Tajima-san, courtesy of Rimac). There's also a Tesla Model S in the production EV class.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

drgitlin posted:

Hello from Pikes Peak! I am at this year's Hillclimb, covering it for Ars Technica and wanted to see if anyone has any questions they want me to ask or cars/teams/drivers they'd like me to talk to etc while I'm here?

Monster Tajima's team and Giti Tires asked me to embed with them for their attempt at the outright victory, but the paddock is even friendlier than your average WEC or IMSA event and people seem happy to chat.

Quite a few interesting EV entries this year. In addition to Tajima-san there's Rhys Millen and his Hankook entry, Acura are here with a basically stock NSX, a pretty heavily modified NSX, and a silhouette car that looks like an NSX but has four motors and torque vectoring (as does Tajima-san, courtesy of Rimac). There's also a Tesla Model S in the production EV class.

My only request is that you :swoon: at everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
And take and post a lot of pics.

• Locked thread